Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
^^^oh hell yeah!

Germany and Argentina losses show that the 2nd and 3rd tier countries in the sport have never been closer to the best, Canada can win today!

Even if they don't win I have 100% confidence in this team and coach, they are going to give a good accounting of themselves and surprise a lot of people with how hard they play Belgium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I get to watch the first half during lunch hour, going to beg my boss to let me stay home an extra hour and then make it up at the end of the day

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

It's hard to get too upset at the referee when you botch the golden chance they give you but holy gently caress is Canada getting railed in this game at every turn.

I love how they play though.. I think they have good chances to take points out of all three of the games in the first round!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

mallratcal posted:

Canada played great. They will roll Croatia and Morocco.

I didn't watch the game cause it was at like 2 am in Western Canada but from the highlights the one thing I notice is that both of those teams look like they have some real quality delivery from set pieces. If Canada can sew the details in their game up I see no reason they can't win against either, but I have a feeling that even in a best case scenario it will feel like walking a tightrope.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

Reckon they'll get something against Croatia who are slow and old like Belgium but dont have possibly the best non ilan meslier keeper in the world

Morocco I dunno

Morocco was a team I had circled as a potential darkhorse to advance surprisingly far in the tournament.. they have some brilliant players in their young to mid 20's who play for some of the biggest clubs in Europe. I would really prefer for Canada to get their first goal(s) / win out of the way against Croatia because I think Morocco will be a much stiffer challenge than many suspect, would not be surprised at all to see them beat Belgium on Sunday if Belgium doesn't improve dramatically.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

incredible disrespect shown towards the Croatian national football team, implying that the Canadians don't need to take practice seriously to hang with the runners up of world cup 2018

I really wish Herdman had just doubled down when pressed by their media, gently caress the Croatians they suck rear end and they looked like poo poo in their first match. Canada can win!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Lol yeah I'm sure the Herdman and Canadians are terrified of this team of geriatrics, should be a blast to watch on Sunday morning

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

Poor Eustáquio. Good decision to bench David, maybe gives him a wake up call

wake up call for what though? the tournaments over after this game..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I look at some of the other teams in the tournament that might have tied or won a game but genuinely played worse soccer than Canada in terms of generating possession, chances, shots.. expected goals :P the eye test.. whatever metric you want to use. I think Canada can be congratulated for at least going for it in all of their games even if they were completely outmatched by their opposition. Maybe that makes me a rube or a dumbass who doesn't understand the sport but I really don't think that they embarrassed themselves in this tournament, they easily could have had a better result against 2 of the 3 teams they played (and I think even the supporters and players on those teams would admit it).

They'll do better next time, count on it.. seems kind of like a certainty given how hosed and expanded the format is going to be next time plus the beneficial seeding due to being the hosts