Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

So is it pretty much definite for a GOP house? I have only tried to focus on my very local election stuff so far, not really wanting to get into the news cycle at all on this crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ASAPI posted:

Election adjacent.

What is everyone's thoughts on fleeing a state due to election results? I'm really torn on this.

On one hand, I get it. You want to live somewhere that has laws/politics that you agree with. On the other hand, isn't that just giving the opposition more power and screwing the people that didn't get out?

It feels like the GOP has figured this out. Just look at all the whack jobs that show up at school board meetings and the like. They seem to stay in the liberal areas and manage to amplify their message. (One of these guys managed to get into a local school board to our surprise)

On the flip side, it is always left leaning people/spaces I see declaring they are leaving for greener pastures.

Why is this? Am I just noticing another version of doomsaying?

Also, yes, I understand that some are simply fleeing due to specific policies (usually abortion and/or pot). Those people tend to be very quiet about their reasons for leaving though and don't "broadcast" it as much.

I think part of it is confirmation bias. I live in Rhode Island one of the "bluest" states in the country. Our state passed some pretty lovely gun laws that probably will not survive in the current courts (good imo as they are not really laws that do much to actually address gun crime. The R's in state have been using that to drive their turnout, "vote the gun grabbers out" etc. This morning the wailing of them online is mostly about them making plans to flee the state (New Hampshire seems to be their preferred destination for a dozen or so who mention it).

Meanwhile my rural district who has had a state rep for years who is an antivaxxer / antimasker and who marched in J6 and the next day tweeted that all of the violence was due to BLM and Antifa activists only just lost his seat by 4 votes. This was due to the state party not really pushing for him and for a 3rd party independent running on a general pro-cop, pro2A platform who took 600 votes. Without the 3rd party a full blown trumper/antivaxxer/J6 dude would have easily won re election. The local school board got swept by R candidates who all ran on a platform roughly stating that critical race theory being taught in our local school system was making the kids gay/trans etc and the other standard-fare vile R state senator won her reelection.

I guess the point I am making is that even in deeply blue states there is a lot of bullshit and the R's who aren't getting their way are also always verbally threatening to leave for Maine, NH, Florida or other "redder" pastures.

Fun fact, my little red district overwhelmingly voted to allow a marijuana dispensary to be zoned for in the town despite leaning very hard R on all other position votes. I am sad to wonder just how much help the Dems could have gotten if Biden had descheduled MJ ahead of the mid-terms.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ASAPI posted:

At least we are establishing upper limits of insanity.

MTG won and Walker is in a dead heat runoff... I want you to be right but I cant agree yet.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Seems like victim blaming tbh.

Maybe they should be focused more on how a mentally compromised person lacking any reasonable education can force a runoff with their chosen candidate instead of blaming millennials?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

psydude posted:

Ok I'm just gonna come right out and ask it: is it possible that the GOP's decision to kill off a large portion of their voter base by promoting vaccine skepticism has contributed to a bunch of these competitive races going blue?

Last thing I saw (probably very out of date now) was mostly putting it at deep red districts were slightly less deep red but not enough to actually matter.

I'd be interested to see how it shakes out post-polling etc after this election is over though. I imagine it would have impacted a couple of specific elections but probably not huge shifts overall due to all of the other complications / confounding issues everyone else brought up.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Xenoborg posted:

Has there been a lot of "stolen election" BS for these midterms? I haven't seen much after the election, but I mostly get my news here.

Totally anecdotal but every single right winger I see post on my local Reddit, nextdoor etc scare quote mail ballots and allege that the dems that won in our local races are illegitimate.

The only thing really notable there is it is 100% absolute there is not a single right wing poster who is not doing this.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

How did voter turnout end up? Any breakdown by age groups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1592979855691636740?s=20&t=FdJZQyR_zOLq0mZS2XPMUQ