Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We could very well wind up in a situation where Democrats or Republicans have a two seat majority. As Icon of Sin mentioned, this could mean special elections are constantly re-determining control until 2024.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

There is a lot of Gerrymandering in Ohio https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/08/15/state-legislatures-are-torching-democracy. Their republican state legislature has basically gutted districts to solidify GOP gains.

Sure, but the US senator slot is statewide race.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Space Opera posted:

Georgia is neck and neck right now, and I think if neither breaks 50% then we have to do a runoff in 2 months?

Correct.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

COVID and J6 were the encouragement I needed to pull up stakes and leave the country. I pay more taxes, but I get free healthcare, the public transit is actually good enough to take most places, and I won't have to worry about my future kids losing the weekly school shooting lottery.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ok I'm just gonna come right out and ask it: is it possible that the GOP's decision to kill off a large portion of their voter base by promoting vaccine skepticism has contributed to a bunch of these competitive races going blue?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ASAPI posted:

It seems that Texas also replaced their Covid dead GOP voters with people moving in. It also seems like they are being "pushed" into the country, all the GOP people I know moved out of the suburbs into the country.

For all the "don't California my Texas" talk, you would think actual liberals were moving here and not Musk fanboys.

Liberals moving to Texas seem to be heavily concentrated in Dallas/Houston/Austin, so just further packing themselves into gerrymandered blue districts.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AOC is running in a solidly blue district that will reliably pull the lever for whoever has a D next to their name. You can't even begin to compare that to having to win all of Pennsylvania, let alone Texas.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's like he had a YouTube channel reviewing guns and then turned it into a campaign advertisement.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Leave posted:

Is there any chance this kind of poo poo starts them turning on him?

Not likely. Republican voters love Trump, and this was borne out in the primaries. The fact that he's a perennial loser in the general elections isn't going to change that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I'm really hoping that trump runs as a third party and splits the gop.

I could see him also endorsing a ton of third party Senate and House candidates in 2024 and splitting those down-ballot races as well.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I get where you're coming from, but...

In this race it kinda doesn't matter. One is a loud mouth dipshit that will vote with the gop, the other is a quiet dino that will vote with the gop. The only real difference if Frisch wins will be the noise about the idiot representing my district. Voting will almost assuredly be the same. Frisch was an Aspen city council member and ran on being a "conservative businessman" so we won't really see a change in how the seat votes, and then have to primary the DINO out later if he does win.

I live in the district. No one here will benefit from either of them winning. Two sides of the same coin. But I voted for Frisch anyhow because he's not Bortbort. Whole thing loving sucks.

One is a batshit insane insurrectionist, and the other sounds like a normal person with unfortunate political views on fiscal policy. Ensuring Boebert no longer has legitimacy by being an elected member of Congress is pretty important in its own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Randalor posted:

I THINK Dr. Oz was trying to maneuver himself into being a running mate for Trump/lining up for a 2028 presidential run.

Trump would never let someone wealthier than himself be his running mate.