Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

How?

Is this a bunch of gerrymanders that were crafted to be R+3 falling just on the other side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Herstory Begins Now posted:

when I did the math on it midway through the pandemic, the average person dying of covid was iirc 12x more likely to be a republican voter than a dem. That number might have ended up even more extreme as protection with boosters got better.

The ratio has gotten much less extreme.

A recent article in CDC’s MMWR gives figures for the Omicron waves.

“Vaccine effectiveness”, as the authors describe it, is way down.

Now, I would argue that printing the figures they did without context is quite misleading. A large portion of the effect is not that the vaccinated are at more risk, but because the the unvaccinated are at less risk, having been immunized by infection.

Whatever the mechanism, COVID is no longer killing one party’s voters anywhere near disproportionately as it once did.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We are objectively treating COVID less seriously than the flu.

I know several people who were willing to get both a flu shot and a COVID shot, but only the flu shot was available at their doctor’s office or clinic. One of them got COVID one week later. She seems to have fully recovered, but it was a nasty illness and she had to work through half of it.

If COVID shots were offered in all the places flu shots were, it could have made the difference.

On top of that, messaging of “fully vaccinated” being two shots eighteen months ago persists. Boosters are presented as the gilding of the lily. It really needs to be more like flu, where no one expects last year’s flu shot to do anything this year, even if statistically there can be some observable effect.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 11, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

Probably fair, but Sinema is also a gently caress and with the House potentially being decided by maybe a vote or two, it's likely that Congress overall isn't getting much done that's heavily partisan. Things were hard enough with a five-vote Democratic House lead and the next one is unlikely to be that high for either party!

It’s a slight improvement to gain margin in the Senate at the expense of margin in the House because the Senate has power over appointment and the House does not. Technically also over treaties, but those need two‐thirds and that ain’t happening.

It’s not worth it to lose the whole chamber, granted.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Melthir posted:

I'm not getting any of that. I deal with those nuts on a weekly basis. All I'm getting from this video is "hey I'm a normal dude. Who likes guns. I understand the benefits of suppressors and will work to make them available I'm not coming for your guns. Hey dems see I'm using something reasonable and James bond used it in the movies. Pretty cool huh."

I don't know what other poo poo he runs on but he's not giving me the man I wish I was running a border patrol camp vibes.

He gives me the creeps in a way that is difficult to put into words.

He’s closer to Anton Chigurh from No Country for Old Men than he is to Karl from InRange.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

Expect two years of judicial nominations and be thrilled if Congress can somehow keep the government running and not defaulting on the debt ceiling.

Minting the trillion-dollar coin is something that Dark Brandon ought to do.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Someone call 2007 and tell them about this Epic Bacon Redemption Arc.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
For comparison, Trump put sixty‐six million to his own campaign, about a tenth of the total.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Icon Of Sin posted:

Maybe Senator Warnock’s crippling addiction to runoff elections can finally be broken :getin:

He’ll be in remission for at least six years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/peltzmadeline/status/1600559089511038976