Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

ASAPI posted:

This is what I am interested in. I am really curious how the GOP will react if/when they lose. Will we get a repeat of Jan 6th? Will it be more localized? Will nothing happen and we witness the last dying wet fart?

Normally I shun reality TV, but this has me interested.

To me the PA lege is the bellwether - if (if) Fetterman wins or if the Republicans claim there's weirdness around Shapiro winning then there's going to be pressure on the PA lege to throw it out, but they'll be doing it in a national environment where the dems hold congress and there's not much legal foundation for anything they do. It might end up being an overall victory for democracy, if they get this litigated and resolved before 24. To me the much worse scenario is all this getting litigated for the first time in a presidential election with Trump screaming about getting people in the streets and a split Congress in a best case scenario or an R Congress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Apparently a shitload of the voting machines in Maricopa County in AZ have broken, which is about the most ideal breeding grounds for election denialism that I can think of. So Arizona might get spicy soon.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Arrath posted:

I remember going to the elementary school as a kid when my dad would vote, but we've been full by mail for every election I've voted in. Its the best.

I kind of miss the civic ritual of going out and voting, but nowhere near enough to outweigh the benefits of vote by mail - it's awesome to vote whenever works for me and be able to take my time and research races over time while voting.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

maffew buildings posted:

I'm not a policy expert but can't help but wonder if just giving everyone health care, that thing that people across the nation all support, would help, hmmmmmm

I was at a meeting once where a guy who is a policy expert summed up the research on state failure and civil war with "at heart violence is the result of objectively bad life situations interacting with dysfunctional beliefs." Statistically, increased spending on healthcare and education are two direct things that a government can do to reduce the risk of civil war. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work here.