Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Maybe don't put neoconfederates, Nazis, and insurrectionists up for election?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ASAPI posted:

Election adjacent.

What is everyone's thoughts on fleeing a state due to election results? I'm really torn on this.

On one hand, I get it. You want to live somewhere that has laws/politics that you agree with. On the other hand, isn't that just giving the opposition more power and screwing the people that didn't get out?

It feels like the GOP has figured this out. Just look at all the whack jobs that show up at school board meetings and the like. They seem to stay in the liberal areas and manage to amplify their message. (One of these guys managed to get into a local school board to our surprise)

On the flip side, it is always left leaning people/spaces I see declaring they are leaving for greener pastures.

Why is this? Am I just noticing another version of doomsaying?

Also, yes, I understand that some are simply fleeing due to specific policies (usually abortion and/or pot). Those people tend to be very quiet about their reasons for leaving though and don't "broadcast" it as much.

Running away from a failed state is heavily context dependant. Somalia, for instance, has limited ability to inflict evil on the world at large. A fascist United States, however, would be a global catastrophe. I shudder to think what a truly expansionist USA would attempt if the nation became completely divorced from any morality at all. Leaving the US would grant you only temporary safety, when the best thing you could do for humanity would be to stay here and fight against fascism.

Besides, I swore an oath to defend the constitution from all enemies foreign and domestic. The expiration date was attached to my contract of service, not my oath of enlistment.

Unless you were talking about leaving a state. Sure, fine, go hog wild. Enjoy the change of scenery.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

NV-SEN. Democrats win that and it's 50, making GA-SEN the possible 51st.

51 isnt redundant, it significantly reduces Manchin's ability to gently caress around.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

Yeah the fact that he said made in Germany twice kind of gave me white supremacist vibes, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

When an American of means seeking power gives off those vibes, you should not, in fact give them the benefit of the doubt.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

Why are you listening to that

To learn what the FSB thinks?