Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Notahippie posted:

I kind of miss the civic ritual of going out and voting, but nowhere near enough to outweigh the benefits of vote by mail - it's awesome to vote whenever works for me and be able to take my time and research races over time while voting.

Living in Seattle I still sort of get this experience, every election I walk down to the local ballot drop box and there's always a bunch of other people doing the same thing.

Unrelated, but walkability and access to public transportation has been become my #1 thing to look for when it comes to quality of life now, such a massive improvement over the depressing suburban environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

ASAPI posted:

Election adjacent.

What is everyone's thoughts on fleeing a state due to election results? I'm really torn on this.

On one hand, I get it. You want to live somewhere that has laws/politics that you agree with. On the other hand, isn't that just giving the opposition more power and screwing the people that didn't get out?

It feels like the GOP has figured this out. Just look at all the whack jobs that show up at school board meetings and the like. They seem to stay in the liberal areas and manage to amplify their message. (One of these guys managed to get into a local school board to our surprise)

On the flip side, it is always left leaning people/spaces I see declaring they are leaving for greener pastures.

Why is this? Am I just noticing another version of doomsaying?

Also, yes, I understand that some are simply fleeing due to specific policies (usually abortion and/or pot). Those people tend to be very quiet about their reasons for leaving though and don't "broadcast" it as much.

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". Do whatever will make you happy. I'm originally from the South and escaping to WA was easily the greatest thing to ever happen to me. Personally, unless you have really strong ties to a location I don't understand making yourself miserable out of some sort of moral obligation.

I moved a lot as a kid, mostly around various Southern states and I never felt "home" in any of them. I wouldn't trade being surrounded by people that have similar values and beliefs for anything.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Doesn't seem like it. Not enough with an ego the size of Trump's, and too scared to lead the charge themselves.

Or if they are it's not getting much press attention.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

lightpole posted:

They got destroyed by Gen Z which is even scarier for them. Reality is starting to bleed through but who knows if it sticks.

I think it's a combination of old people dying off and millennials and gen z becoming a bigger part of the electorate.