Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

My personal top 2 was keeping the same name because frankly Washington Football Team is perfect, or the Washington Clowns because of all the clowns in Congress

To be fair, Washington Football Team was indeed perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
e_ wrong thread

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hey, I just got back from a long vacation with no internet. So do we just not have a House now? Like, is that branch of government just shut down until the next election?

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Hey, I just got back from a long vacation with no internet. So do we just not have a House now? Like, is that branch of government just shut down until the next election?

Do not have a House, we will have one once a speaker is chosen. Worst case is a vote for plurality in 2 months.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've had this conjecture in my head about the vote-a-rama thing for a couple days now and I'd like to know where I'm getting off track, because I'm not seeing this discussed elsewhere. From what I've read:

* The concessions the freedom caucus people are asking for are not about any particular policy at all, they're all about control over the position of speaker itself, and influence in committees; specifically the caucus wants more power to decide which bills ultimately get voted on.
* The material differences in domestic policy support between the freedom caucus and other Republicans are not enormous, given how far right mainstream Republicans are nowadays. There's not some US company or industry whose stock will go up or down 10% based on who gets elected speaker. Maybe I'm missing something, but policy differences don't seem to be coming up in all the infighting here, it's mostly character attacks or arguments about who holds what power in the House.
* The group of ~20 people who voted against McCarthy yesterday, have almost unanimously opposed funding Ukraine's army. They either voted against the last pure funding bill back in May, or they are newly elected but have made public statements opposing it. (Generally oblique or isolationist ones, snarking about sending money to Ukraine when the border isn't secure or whatever, but opposition is opposition)
* That May Ukraine bill passed 86-11 in the Senate and 368-57 in the House, with basically unanimous Democratic support and quite a bit of Republican support as well. McCarthy himself voted Yes.

It seems to me that if another bill to fund Ukraine's military came up for a vote this term, it would retain enough Republican support to pass the House - if it were put up for a vote - and likely the Senate, and of course Biden would sign it. There are huge material interests at stake in the Ukraine war - the stability of the Russian government, the ownership of Ukraine's gas fields and Crimea, etc.

So it seems like the entity with the largest financial stake in this outcome is Russia's political leadership and petroleum interests. They would benefit if Ukraine funding were prevented from coming to a vote in the House. And it so happens that the straw stirring the drink, so to speak, is a small group of representatives who happen to have consistently supported this same financial interest, and they are currently scrabbling to attain the power to prevent bills from getting voted on. Even if McCarthy's opposition shrinks from 20 to 6, that still prevents him from becoming speaker - and a group of 6 is small enough to keep a secret.

Again, this is largely speculation, and I'm no expert. What's wrong with this story?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

solarjetman posted:

I've had this conjecture in my head about the vote-a-rama thing for a couple days now and I'd like to know where I'm getting off track, because I'm not seeing this discussed elsewhere. From what I've read:

* The concessions the freedom caucus people are asking for are not about any particular policy at all, they're all about control over the position of speaker itself, and influence in committees; specifically the caucus wants more power to decide which bills ultimately get voted on.
* The material differences in domestic policy support between the freedom caucus and other Republicans are not enormous, given how far right mainstream Republicans are nowadays. There's not some US company or industry whose stock will go up or down 10% based on who gets elected speaker. Maybe I'm missing something, but policy differences don't seem to be coming up in all the infighting here, it's mostly character attacks or arguments about who holds what power in the House.
* The group of ~20 people who voted against McCarthy yesterday, have almost unanimously opposed funding Ukraine's army. They either voted against the last pure funding bill back in May, or they are newly elected but have made public statements opposing it. (Generally oblique or isolationist ones, snarking about sending money to Ukraine when the border isn't secure or whatever, but opposition is opposition)
* That May Ukraine bill passed 86-11 in the Senate and 368-57 in the House, with basically unanimous Democratic support and quite a bit of Republican support as well. McCarthy himself voted Yes.

It seems to me that if another bill to fund Ukraine's military came up for a vote this term, it would retain enough Republican support to pass the House - if it were put up for a vote - and likely the Senate, and of course Biden would sign it. There are huge material interests at stake in the Ukraine war - the stability of the Russian government, the ownership of Ukraine's gas fields and Crimea, etc.

So it seems like the entity with the largest financial stake in this outcome is Russia's political leadership and petroleum interests. They would benefit if Ukraine funding were prevented from coming to a vote in the House. And it so happens that the straw stirring the drink, so to speak, is a small group of representatives who happen to have consistently supported this same financial interest, and they are currently scrabbling to attain the power to prevent bills from getting voted on. Even if McCarthy's opposition shrinks from 20 to 6, that still prevents him from becoming speaker - and a group of 6 is small enough to keep a secret.

Again, this is largely speculation, and I'm no expert. What's wrong with this story?

There were 57 people that voted against Ukraine funding in the house. Plus or minus the retires and freshman, that's about a two-in-three chance that the people you speculate on who could be in a secret cabal getting orders from afar still don't think that Kevin is the worst guy to have as speaker.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Gerund posted:

There were 57 people that voted against Ukraine funding in the house. Plus or minus the retires and freshman, that's about a two-in-three chance that the people you speculate on who could be in a secret cabal getting orders from afar still don't think that Kevin is the worst guy to have as speaker.

Contrarily, if Russian interests have a number of 'controlled opposition" gop reps, and they aren't all required to shut down the house (and prevent further funding for ukraine), they would only use as many as needed to jam things up.
Also, Russian interests may have appealed to some gop reps on the previous funding and found them persuadable, wheras others may be outright assets.

The narrative seems coherent.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Ryan Grim has some alternate theories here: https://www.democracynow.org/2023/1/5/kevin_mccarthy_house_of_representatives_speaker

quote:

You know, yesterday Ralph Norman, who’s a Freedom Caucus member from South Carolina, told reporters in the hallway that the thing that Kevin McCarthy needs to agree to to win their support, that is nonnegotiable, is that he needs to be willing to shut the government down rather than raise the debt ceiling. You know, that’s a rather frightening statement on a number of levels. On the top level, it’s frightening because it’s a complete misunderstanding of how government works. There’s actually not a relationship between a government shutdown and hitting the debt ceiling. And one reporter immediately said to him, “You mean going into default?” And he said, “Well, you wouldn’t go into default if you start planning now to stop spending money, you know, among various agencies, and so we could avoid that.”

And so, there was a deal cut last night, where Kevin McCarthy agreed that the House Republican super PAC would not go after far-right Republicans in open red seats, which is something I think the Squad probably should have pushed for in 2019 and 2021, to say, “Hey, if you want our support, then the DCCC and the House super PAC have to stop kind of putting their thumb on the scale in Democratic primaries.” That was a good idea from them. But will that be enough for them to go over and support McCarthy? Nobody really knows.

Neither of these make it seem any more likely that further Ukraine funding is going to make it through Congress, but debt ceiling games of chicken might have similar dynamics. If the country approaches default closely enough that markets start to notice, ordinary plutocrats start to support making a deal, and control over the speaker will be the key to continuing the standoff.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Uglycat posted:

Contrarily, if Russian interests have a number of 'controlled opposition" gop reps, and they aren't all required to shut down the house (and prevent further funding for ukraine), they would only use as many as needed to jam things up.
Also, Russian interests may have appealed to some gop reps on the previous funding and found them persuadable, wheras others may be outright assets.

The narrative seems coherent.

They'd be using roughly 4 times as many as are required to shut down the house, though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

solarjetman posted:

It's actually unclear how many of their crazy demands are actual demands and how many are simply things they're just asking for because McCarthy won't say no to anyone. The actual thing they for real want is to block McCarthy from being Speaker and use his scalp as proof they are strong and must be listened to.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

solarjetman posted:

ignorance of recent history
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Caucus#Opposition_to_Speaker_of_the_House_John_Boehner
https://web.archive.org/web/2018092...hutdown/280236/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_2015_Speaker_of_the_United_States_House_of_Representatives_election
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-25/trump-meets-freedom-caucus-and-result-is-legislative-disaster

etc

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jan 6, 2023

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
More Republicans being traitors wouldn't be surprising because, well, a bunch of them tried to overthrow the loving Federal government.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

solarjetman posted:

Ryan Grim has some alternate theories here: https://www.democracynow.org/2023/1/5/kevin_mccarthy_house_of_representatives_speaker

Neither of these make it seem any more likely that further Ukraine funding is going to make it through Congress, but debt ceiling games of chicken might have similar dynamics. If the country approaches default closely enough that markets start to notice, ordinary plutocrats start to support making a deal, and control over the speaker will be the key to continuing the standoff.

Thats part of the reason why a very large Ukraine bill was recently passed just a few weeks ago, the intention was to authorize a large enough appropriation to get through a couple years. And lend-lease is still available through most of 2023 which won't require congress.

If all else fails, there has been talk among "moderate" Republicans (reported on CNN last night) that if the HFC absolutely insists on forcing the nation into default, they may have to take the extraordinary and rare step of signing a discharge petition to bypass the speaker's ability to set the floor schedule and agenda. If they did that, it would be for a big budget bill and it is very likely that a ukraine amendment of some sort would be voted on if needed.

As for why oppose McCarthy? As stupid as it sounds its not likely some pro-Russian conspiracy or based on big ideological differences, it just simply seems to be personal. There's a small group of people who just hate him. (Gaetz, Boebert, etc)

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Rigel posted:

As for why oppose McCarthy? As stupid as it sounds its not likely some pro-Russian conspiracy or based on big ideological differences, it just simply seems to be personal. There's a small group of people who just hate him. (Gaetz, Boebert, etc)
Oh think it's much more than a small group, it's just that the rest of the GOP isn't willing to burn the country down over it.

This is from the TVIV thread but it made me laugh so hard it's worth sharing here.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Yeah, if the last week has taught us anything its that McCarthy, Scalise and McHenry are loving terrible at vote counting and whipping. Pelosi would dig up your favorite fourth grade teacher to tell you she was disappointed in you for not voting the right way, McCarthy just begs you on his hands and knees.

McCarthy reminded me of that physics professor that would teach students by doing all those crazy live demonstrations except instead of physics McCarthy spent the entire week showing everyone just how important strong leadership and organizational discipline is.

The contrast between McCarthy and Jeffries (who seems to be doing a solid job of filling Pelosi's shoes so far) was incredibly stark.

No one respects a weak leader. But the people who, due to circumstance, are compelled to follow a weak leader absolutely despise him. Because his weakness is their shame...

quote:

And as first reported by CNN, McCarthy told lawmakers he would support a threshold as low as five Republicans to trigger a vote on deposing the speaker, known as the “motion to vacate” the speaker’s chair – a major concession for him and one that moderates worry will be used as a constant cudgel over his head.

“I have cautioned (McCarthy), at least twice, to not accept a Pyrrhic victory,” said one moderate GOP lawmaker who is backing him. “He cannot give away what he needs to actually effectively govern the House.”

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

-Blackadder- posted:

Jeffries (who seems to be doing a solid job of filling Pelosi's shoes so far)
What led you to this assessment? What would differ between him, a mediocre replacement, and a bad replacement at this stage?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Paracaidas posted:

What led you to this assessment? What would differ between him, a mediocre replacement, and a bad replacement at this stage?

If nothing else, the fact that for however many votes it was between leadership and adjournment, his entire conference consistently voted in lockstep, and there were always enough there to stop McCarthy from accidentally getting a majority.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If nothing else, the fact that for however many votes it was between leadership and adjournment, his entire conference consistently voted in lockstep, and there were always enough there to stop McCarthy from accidentally getting a majority.

While true, I do need to note that this sort of activity is much easier, both because the Dems are in the minority and because the Rs are making such obvious asses of themselves. At the moment, incentives are very strongly aligned for rank-and-file D representatives.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I’m hopeful that this game they are playing bites the seditionists in the rear end.

They want to hold up congress by demanding hard right cuts to Medicare, Medicaid, social security and the debt ceiling. Obviously none of that will pass the senate or be signed by Biden so they will spend the next two years looking weak and ineffective while the Dems can just point and go, “look at these assholes” come 24. Like, shutting down the government over the debt ceiling has backfired every time they’ve tried it so far and those other programs are far, far more popular.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Murgos posted:

I’m hopeful that this game they are playing bites the seditionists in the rear end.

They want to hold up congress by demanding hard right cuts to Medicare, Medicaid, social security and the debt ceiling. Obviously none of that will pass the senate or be signed by Biden so they will spend the next two years looking weak and ineffective while the Dems can just point and go, “look at these assholes” come 24. Like, shutting down the government over the debt ceiling has backfired every time they’ve tried it so far and those other programs are far, far more popular.

i mean everything the freedumb chuds want to do is super deeply unpopular with the adendum that these freaks are against sugar coating any of their weird bullshit so it pisses off normies too. If this bullshit was popular, they would have had a red wave this in 22.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Paracaidas posted:

There's an article floating around from a few months back when Schiff made a play for Speaker and everyone just kind of laughed at him. Jeffries has been prepping for this role for a while, he came in already having an extensive whip operation in place and sources seems to suggest that he understands organization discipline.

Also, in addition to Alhazred's reply here's a good background article on what was happening with the Dems behind the scenes during the Speaker vote.

https://twitter.com/DavidNir/status/1611237044889468928
With all that said, you're absolutely right that it's still early and Pelosi has some massive shoes to fill, so time will tell if Jeffries is truly up to it.

However one thing is for sure: the Dems just had a front row seat to the flaming car wreck costs of group dysfunction. Hopefully they take it to heart.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Purple dems deffo have an incentive to have helped KM for bipartisanship points so it isn't like Jefferies had nothing to do.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

-Blackadder- posted:

There's an article floating around from a few months back when Schiff made a play for Speaker and everyone just kind of laughed at him. Jeffries has been prepping for this role for a while, he came in already having an extensive whip operation in place and sources seems to suggest that he understands organization discipline.

Also, in addition to Alhazred's reply here's a good background article on what was happening with the Dems behind the scenes during the Speaker vote.

https://twitter.com/DavidNir/status/1611237044889468928
With all that said, you're absolutely right that it's still early and Pelosi has some massive shoes to fill, so time will tell if Jeffries is truly up to it.

However one thing is for sure: the Dems just had a front row seat to the flaming car wreck costs of group dysfunction. Hopefully they take it to heart.

Strong Monty Python Life of Brian vibes there. That's funny.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
It appears Katie Porter is running for Feinstein's Senate seat in 2024, based on a fundraising email I just got from her.
Which means Dems would likely lose her House seat, as she barely held it in 2022.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

VorpalBunny posted:

It appears Katie Porter is running for Feinstein's Senate seat in 2024, based on a fundraising email I just got from her.
Which means Dems would likely lose her House seat, as she barely held it in 2022.

A lot of people are gonna be running for Feinstein's seat

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
Newsom might be running as well. Will his governorship run out by then?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Has she indicated she will be stepping down? I did a quick google and didn't see anything.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Has she indicated she will be stepping down? I did a quick google and didn't see anything.

Nope. Not even a little bit.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Meatball posted:

Newsom might be running as well. Will his governorship run out by then?

Newsom definitely wants to be President, not Senator.

His Gov term does run out in 26 though, so he's targeting '28.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

VorpalBunny posted:

The mean expectation is that Democrats do better in 2024 than they did in 2022 which was a Democratic president midterm with low approval
(also Newsom won by 19% at the top of the ticket, and in 2024 Biden will win California by ~30%)

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

JosefStalinator posted:

Newsom definitely wants to be President, not Senator.

His Gov term does run out in 26 though, so he's targeting '28.

There is zero reason for Newsom to hang around until 2028 if Biden isn't running in 2024. He won't give a single drat about when his governorship ends.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pook Good Mook posted:

There is zero reason for Newsom to hang around until 2028 if Biden isn't running in 2024. He won't give a single drat about when his governorship ends.

Yeah but Biden, barring a new health scare, is running again, and I'll :toxx: to that.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Pook Good Mook posted:

Yeah, fortunately or unfortunately, Biden will probably be president until 2028. Newsom has been gleefully celebrating kamala's unpopularity I'm sure.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah but Biden, barring a new health scare, is running again, and I'll :toxx: to that.

I could’ve swore I saw an article a couple days ago that he was gearing up to run again. So it does seem very likely.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Bird in a Blender posted:

I could’ve swore I saw an article a couple days ago that he was gearing up to run again. So it does seem very likely.

If Biden is conscious he's running in 2024. My point was just that Newsom isn't going to wait for his governor's term to end to run if the field in 2024 is open.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Pook Good Mook posted:

If Biden is conscious he's running in 2024. My point was just that Newsom isn't going to wait for his governor's term to end to run if the field in 2024 is open.

I'm never voting for someone over 65 again. Too many people that don't understand modern tech in office.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GoutPatrol posted:

He's gonna stay out or even resign beforehand because of the classified documents fiasco.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He's gonna stay out or even resign beforehand because of the classified documents fiasco.

is this a serious post or not?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mooseontheloose posted:

is this a serious post or not?

I think that's what's going to happen. It's not factually comparable to Trump's alleged conduct, but the media coverage has made it comparable, and they're going to make the calculation that it's not worth having to litigate the differences throughout the 2024 campaign. Burned by emails once, twice shy.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think that's what's going to happen. It's not factually comparable to Trump's alleged conduct, but the media coverage has made it comparable, and they're going to make the calculation that it's not worth having to litigate the differences throughout the 2024 campaign. Burned by emails once, twice shy.

This is loving bonkers. This is not taking Biden down. It barely registers with the ones who will matter, the democratic primary voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
For Biden to resign would communicate that he did something so seriously wrong that he doesn't deserve the job, it would kill the Democrats for the next two election cycles. Totally ridiculous idea, :toxx: Joe Biden will not resign "because of the classified documents fiasco."