Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

We'll need to keep reminding ourselves that the generic expectation, every time, in every midterm election for the party that has the white house is always a significant loss. Very narrow losses in this situation are..... still good in context, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

Rigel posted:

We'll need to keep reminding ourselves that the generic expectation, every time, in every midterm election for the party that has the white house is always a significant loss. Very narrow losses in this situation are..... still good in context, I guess.

That plus inflation being on everyone's mind means a bad night for dems, buckle up.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Control of the House will be decided by about 30 different house districts in various parts of the country and the Senate will be decided by the races in NH, PA, GA, AZ, and NV.

Early exit polls are generally not accurate, but they also aren't really representative of what the final seat allocation will be either.

Oh I know, exit polls are basically useless, especially with mail in voting now. I'm just surprised at how such a GOP-leaning group has less horrifying views on certain things.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

LMAO I'm eating a hot dog right now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue posted:

Going to vote now, updates soon

I voted

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Nice. Keep it up.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I might attempt to ignore results (yeah right) until later in the night because the red mirage effect in 2020 practically gave me a heart attack.

I am going to add to my predictions that we aren't going to see a wave of any color (apart from JEB! of course) but we are going to see some Weird poo poo. Dems winning in red states, Dems losing in blue states, up is down and black is white and every pollster on twitter needs to shut the gently caress up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Typical Pubbie posted:

Nice. Keep it up.

You're not going to trick me into voter fraud, Soros

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

nine-gear crow posted:

Tonight on the season finale of America, someone dies! It's democracy. Democracy dies tonight at 8PM EST

Nah, it's a season finale two-parter; tonight is the cliff-hanger; the death occurs later in the week.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
CNN's demographic results are pretty bad (with the obvious caveat that it is election day voters only):

77% white.
9% turnout for ages 18-30.
9% turnout among black voters.
More registered Republicans than Democrats.
Just under 40% of the electorate is older than 65.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Youth Decay posted:

I might attempt to ignore results (yeah right) until later in the night because the red mirage effect in 2020 practically gave me a heart attack.

I am going to add to my predictions that we aren't going to see a wave of any color (apart from JEB! of course) but we are going to see some Weird poo poo. Dems winning in red states, Dems losing in blue states, up is down and black is white and every pollster on twitter needs to shut the gently caress up.

I know :justpost: is a thing, but I do think for most people's mental health it would be better to just watch a movie, go to sleep, and wake up to see what the results are. F5ing vote totals is the worst thing any of us can do for our mental health.

I would suggest the PBS Newshour feed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiklAfBdinw

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Rigel posted:

Anything other than a substantial set of gains for the outsider party is solidly

AND WILDLY

Against expectation

(And would suggest the gop is performing embarrassingly)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I voted a couple of weeks ago. Not expecting a Beasley win although I do feel like her race might have been overly discounted. But it'll probably keep the lesser of two evils sheriffs in my town, the crazies out of the school board, and hopefully stop a veto proof Republican legislature in NC.

I'm not very stressed on a national level at least int he short term as long as the senate holds. I think we unfortunately saw what the Biden administration was going to accomplish for this term. It was all smaller than we hoped which was smaller than what we need, but some good stuff. The House winning without the senate feels like it will just be empty posturing and them making asses out of themselves with "But her emails" style hearings.

It's more the local politic that scare me.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Rigel posted:

This actually has some impact for me, since I am moving to Kansas City next year and haven't yet decided on KCK or KCMO. If this passes, I'll go to the Missouri side.
It's already legal medicinally, assuming you have at least 1 of 100 generic symptoms! :D

Having lived here my entire life - MO sucks otherwise, though.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 8, 2022

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

CNN's demographic results are pretty bad (with the obvious caveat that it is election day voters only):

77% white.
9% turnout for ages 18-30.
9% turnout among black voters.
More registered Republicans than Democrats.
Just under 40% of the electorate is older than 65.

Earlier I saw pictures and videos of long lines of young people, and I was like "yeah but that is a precinct on a college campus, you always show us that while lying to us about how young people are voting this time. Get back to me with numbers in normal precincts"

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm off to bed, don't gently caress this up America

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I'm off to bed, don't gently caress this up America

Bad news buddy.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
I'm hosting an election watch party for my grad school pals, most of them came to this county last year so they don't know the beauty of the American election broadcast.

What is the most obnoxious, map-packed, vacuous talking head-packed, hologram-packed feed I can put on my TV?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I'm hosting an election watch party for my grad school pals, most of them came to this county last year so they don't know the beauty of the American election broadcast.

What is the most obnoxious, map-packed, vacuous talking head-packed, hologram-packed feed I can put on my TV?

CNN probably?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Are these guys required to talk in riddles?

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1590062540381630465

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

A re-run of the Patriots Falcons superbowl and say that you're rooting for Falcons

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

CNN, 100%

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

First poll results are coming in.

Hang on, folks,

Edit: Fixed for incorrectness

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 9, 2022

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Wishing y'all luck from across the Pacific. I'm not American but my partner is and also trans, so the outcome matters a lot to me.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

He’s been posting about turnout issues all day so I think he thinks it’s 1 now. So this election despite all the handwringing goes by the fundamentals. Buckle up and get the whiskey ready.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
Voted.

It was depressing. They didn't even have booths, you literally sat in chairs in the middle of a church classroom.

NE needs to have democrats loving RUN. Like, no democrats ran for ANY county offices or for secretary of state, treasurer, etc. This is a county of nearly 200K people just south of Omaha and you couldn't find ONE person to run?

I chose the "Legal Marijuana NOW" candidate for a couple of races. I don't smoke weed, but it was an option!

And yes to increasing minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2026, and no to voter ID.

I have zero hope of any of this going my way.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don't you get a sausage for voting in Australia?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

SourKraut posted:

First polls are closing.

Hang on, folks,

Where? It’s only 6pm on the East Coast.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
https://twitter.com/candynotcandace/status/1589976082731905024?s=20&t=E16vZPf_ahOPz2cLyIcirA

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

SourKraut posted:

First polls are closing.

Hang on, folks,

eh, those don't count, that is only parts of two states. Full states close starting next hour.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

IUG posted:

Where? It’s only 6pm on the East Coast.

Sorry, it really is just parts of states, as Rigel indicated, so I fixed it.

Rigel posted:

eh, those don't count, that is only parts of two states. Full states close starting next hour.

Yep, sorry! Jumped the gun on it but I love that gif/scene.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

nine-gear crow posted:

Tonight on the season finale of America, someone dies! It's democracy. Democracy dies tonight at 8PM EST

Prime time baby! Main event to watch Democracy dies The ratings will be uuuge!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

these people are absolute loving morons goddammit

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Rigel posted:

It’s so mean that the states with a 6 PM closing time cross timezones.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

Rigel posted:

Yeah the dems were set for a big loss going into tonight just based on political history.....midterm election where they hold the presidency, and major economic issues like inflation and gas prices.

It would be hard for an organized, active, and on the ball political party to overcome that. And the Dems are none of those things.

My only hope is that abortion rights gets people out but I don't really believe it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Lmao, Georgia.

quote:

@NBCNews exit polls from GEORGIA

Is [candidate] too extreme?

Only Warnock: 44%
Only Walker: 39%
Neither: 9%
Both: 5%

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm convinced that these people look for the dumbest people possible to interview. The news and commentator classes have a vested interest in the horserace narrative; nobody doomscrolls or obsessively watches election coverage when the outcome is a forgone conclusion.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cabbit posted:

I'm convinced that these people look for the dumbest people possible to interview. The news and commentator classes have a vested interest in the horserace narrative; nobody doomscrolls or obsessively watches election coverage when the outcome is a forgone conclusion.

Everything you said is true, but if you don't think that voters make decisions based on the most contradictory, inane, and bizarre criteria, you need to talk to more voters.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

From same day voting that is actually better than I would expect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

Cabbit posted:

Correct. There's no fun in interviewing a leftist political wonk who knows more than the interviewer.

"Gee golly, I'm voting for Dr. Oz because he's a lifelong True Yinzer!" gets anger engagement, much much more fun.