Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Hello and welcome to the Portugal thread.

But what is a Portugal and why should you care?

Well, let's find out together.

From this map we can see that in essence Portugal is a low-effort bit of world-building after somebody pointed out that having all of Iberia be one big country would be "boring." So they chopped out a little rectangle in the south-west and named it Portugal after the port of Porto because of their profound national fondness for seamen.

In the following centuries, sexy sexy seamen flooded the globe in the Age of Exploration, bringing wealth and status to this funny little quadrilateral of land on the edge of Europe. Perhaps most notably in 1500 the area which would later be known as Brazil (a famously sexy country to this day) was claimed for Portugal, but this period also saw colonies established in Africa, Asia, and several small islands. Since the 1970s nearly all of these overseas possessions have become independent, with the exception of the Atlantic islands of Madeira and the Azores.

What does any of this have to do with footing the balls?

Portugal is a relatively small nation, with a population of somewhere around ten million people. However, they are generally considered one of the stronger footballing nations in Europe and the world, thanks at least in part to their colonial history and ability to draw on players from their former empire. For example, Portugal's best ever finish in the World Cup was in 1966 when they placed third, with a team led by legendary striker Eusébio who was born in what is now Mozambique. A number of current squad players were also born outside Portugal, such as William Carvalho (Angola) and Pepe (Brazil)

And remember those islands that are still part of Portugal? Well, on the 5th of February 1985, in the city of Funchal on the island of Madeira, this man was born:

*actual size

Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro, or "Ronald" as he is affectionately known in these parts, is inarguably one of the greatest footballers in history. His list of records and achievements is too long to go into here, but as a quick overview he has scored more international goals than any other player, won the Ballon d'Or award for the best player in the world five times, quite possibly scored more professional football goals overall than any other player (depending on how you count them), won the Champions League five times,and led Portugal to victory in the 2016 European Football Championship. Following our sexy sex theme, he also [REDACTED]

Perhaps the one thing missing from Ronald's medal haul is a World Cup, and at the age of 37 this is quite possibly his last chance. It wouldn't be beyond the realms of credibility for him to turn up in MexiCanadAmerica 2026, but his powers are definitely on the wane and even his remarkable drive and dedication to the sport must end somewhere.

Who else is in the squad?

Average Lettuce posted:

https://twitter.com/selecaoportugal/status/1590759295523905537

We have the list, Renato Sanches and Moutinho didn't make it, which I think are the bigger surprises.

Edit - I'll psot the actual list:

- Goalkeepers: Diogo Costa (FC Porto), José Sá (Wolverhampton) e Rui Patrício (Roma).

- Defenders: Diogo Dalot (Manchester United), João Cancelo (Manchester City), Pepe (FC Porto), Rúben Dias (Manchester City), Danilo Pereira (Paris Saint-Germain), António Silva (Benfica), Nuno Mendes (Paris Saint-Germain) and Raphaël Guerreiro (Borussia Dortmund).

- Midfielders: Palhinha (Fulham), Rúben Neves (Wolverhampton), Bernardo Silva (Manchester City), Bruno Fernandes (Manchester United), João Mário (Benfica), Matheus Nunes (Wolverhampton), Otávio (FC Porto), Vitinha (Paris Saint-Germain) and William Carvalho (Betis).

- Forwards: André Silva (Leipzig), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United), Gonçalo Ramos (Benfica), João Félix (Atlético de Madrid), Rafael Leão (AC Milan) and Ricardo Horta (Braga).

What are their chances?

Ehhhh... middling at best, to be honest. Their group has four teams who would all be considered at least decent, with no obvious minnows.

v. Ghana 24/11 16:00
v. Uruguay 28/11 19:00
v. South Korea 02/12 15:00

Portugal and Uruguay are favourites to progress, but Ghana and South Korea will both be dangerous opponents. And topping the group is likely to be important, because the second-placed team from Group H will play the winners of Group G in the second round, and that is likely to be Brazil, the outright tournament favourites. So ideally Portugal would win the group and play the runners-up from that group instead, setting up a potential quarter-final against probably either Spain or Germany. Then a semi-final which could well be against the reigning world champions France, and then whoever they meet in the final is also likely to be a huge challenge.

One intriguing possibility would be a showdown with Argentina, led by Ronald's long-term rival and fellow GOAT candidate Lionel Messi who is also nearing the end of his career still lacking a World Cup medal from his trophy cabinet. But realistically, this is not a vintage Portugal side, requiring a play-off to qualify for the tournament after losing their final group match to Serbia, and a quarter-final exit would not be a shock. But stranger things have happened in knockout tournament football.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
No helder postiga leading the line, voted 1

Excited to see ronald physically drag Portugal to the final in his last roll of the dice

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Not a single mention of league MVP and ever smiling phenomenon Rafa Leāo, shameful.

He's been poo poo for the past two matchdays (compared to his own high standards) so I expect him to be fully sick during the tournament.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Gigi Galli posted:

Not a single mention of league MVP and ever smiling phenomenon Rafa Leāo, shameful.

That's because Serie A is garbage and nobody cares about it op

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I'm hopeful that Big Ron gets on the field and shits the bed, but the rest of Portugal do okay~~

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

sebzilla posted:

That's because Serie A is garbage and nobody cares about it op

(World Cup) mods

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

(World Cup) mods

More like Serie F.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Gigi Galli posted:

(World Cup) mods

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Please take all Italian football discussion to the Italy World Cup Thread where it belongs.

*listening to earpiece*

Whoa, you're not gonna believe this. Apparently they lost to North Macedonia who in turn lost to Portugal? How embarrassing.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

My body is ready to see Fernando Santos turn the biggest attacking talent Portugal has ever had into 0-0 performances which will see us either crash out of the group stage or win the whole thing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Great OP but Ronaldo has been absoute dogshit this season, unlike Messi. He might still do it for Portugal, who knows, but no one should be too surprised if Portugal crashes out because the team, for all its talents, is mostly carried by him.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Went to the Chelsea-Milan match at the San Siro and Leão looked pretty good at pushing the pace and attacking the defense, even with no help from a very slow Giroud. João Félix has looked like total poo poo playing for Atleti even against mid-tier La Liga talent so lol if he starts.

Otávio has been playing well for Porto, creating a lot of chances for Taremi and Evanilson but I don't know if he'll get much playing time with this squad.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/selecaoportugal/status/1590759295523905537

We have the list, Renato Sanches and Moutinho didn't make it, which I think are the bigger surprises.

Edit - I'll psot the actual list:

- Goalkeepers: Diogo Costa (FC Porto), José Sá (Wolverhampton) e Rui Patrício (Roma).

- Defenders: Diogo Dalot (Manchester United), João Cancelo (Manchester City), Pepe (FC Porto), Rúben Dias (Manchester City), Danilo Pereira (Paris Saint-Germain), António Silva (Benfica), Nuno Mendes (Paris Saint-Germain) and Raphaël Guerreiro (Borussia Dortmund).

- Midfielders: Palhinha (Fulham), Rúben Neves (Wolverhampton), Bernardo Silva (Manchester City), Bruno Fernandes (Manchester United), João Mário (Benfica), Matheus Nunes (Wolverhampton), Otávio (FC Porto), Vitinha (Paris Saint-Germain) and William Carvalho (Betis).

- Forwards: André Silva (Leipzig), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United), Gonçalo Ramos (Benfica), João Félix (Atlético de Madrid), Rafael Leão (AC Milan) and Ricardo Horta (Braga).

Average Lettuce fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 11, 2022

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Imagining the multiple phone calls and angry emails from PR firms that led to Ronald being first on the announcement tweet ahead of the goalkeepers

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

the sex ghost posted:

Imagining the multiple phone calls and angry emails from PR firms that led to Ronald being first on the announcement tweet ahead of the goalkeepers

I guess it's because he's the captain.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
That's far more sensible and plausible. Don't like it

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Lol at the clearly photoshoped face of antonio silva.

Fernando santos is a fraud of a manager, in more ways than one, and
Everyone can see ronald is past it, hes been actively detrimental to our style of play since at least 2018 and where gonna waste the prime of one of our most talented generations because no one knows to just quit gracefully.

Cant wait to grind out 0-0 draws amd have diogo costa bail us out in the penalties until the finals.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Ronnie playing alone up top in a 4-5-1 counter is going to be ugly. Leao and Horta on the wings would help open things up and create some more space for Ronaldo but lol Silva.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

they could have a decent shot if ronald gets injured quickly

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Leao is very good. Portugal should play him with Ronaldo (because they have to play ronaldo) and maybe idk Felix if it’s just Simeone who’s been loving him up and then have Fernandes, Bernardo Silva and Joao Cancelo feed them balls and it would be great. But does Portugal still have the super defensive manager who hates good things? Because that would not help with this strategy.

Also, Rui Patricio looked great the other day.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Let's go Portugal

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Wonder if Ronald will manage to get himself kicked out of the Man Utd squad before the World Cup starts, leaving himself free to channel the special magic of unattached players at major tournaments (see Robson-Kanu, Hal)

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Tuga, caralho!

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Of course Silva plays garbage rear end Felix over Leão on the wing. Mendes and Leão combo on the left wing would be really scary for opposing defenses.

gorgmatic
Apr 25, 2006

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't
ALLAH IS ALL MERCIFUL

sebzilla posted:

Wonder if Ronald will manage to get himself kicked out of the Man Utd squad before the World Cup starts, leaving himself free to channel the special magic of unattached players at major tournaments (see Robson-Kanu, Hal)

And Giorgos Karagounis at Euro 2012

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

dunno if this has already been posted but lol

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My guess is Piers Morgan: Uncensored is now the subject of attempts by Ronald’s lawyers to censor it so he doesn’t get totally destroyed in the ensuing lawsuit.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Manchester United have already hosed him off and are looking to terminate his contract.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/18/manchester-united-to-sue-cristiano-ronaldo-and-ban-him-over-interview

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

tristeham posted:

they say that good satire threads the needle between "no way this is real" and "holy poo poo this is totally real isn't it" and welp

lmao either way

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

TBF he's totally right about that Harry Maguire guy, what a hosed up English thing to do lol

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That’s a loving wild anecdote. I thought it would be excusable for health reasons but lol it’s just Harry doesn’t like pasta.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

tristeham posted:

There is no way that is real and I'm not checking because even doing that would make me feel insane

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Pinche Rudo posted:

Of course Silva plays garbage rear end Felix over Leão on the wing. Mendes and Leão combo on the left wing would be really scary for opposing defenses.

This post aged like fine wine after the nigeria game :cheeky:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

tristeham posted:

Lmfao

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Gone-aldo

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1595108144862343168

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Fingers crossed for a spectacular flame-out in the group stage for Portugal.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i hope big ron keeps chatting poo poo until he gets booted out of the portugal squad too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

(World Cup) mods

I remember when we were all world cup mods...