Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
only barely winning against ghana by the skin of our teeth after stalling and diving for half the game :letsgo: :letsgo: :letsgo: :letsgo: :letsgo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Wrong thread whoops

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

"Ei one of our highest motor midfielders just got injured, i know ill sub him for a immobile trunk" - euro champion manager

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"Hum this oposing team seems hard to unlock, we may need some movement in the final third, i know, i'll keep literally the best player in seria A on the bench until the final 20 minutes" - manager with a contract until 2024

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

"Ei one of our highest motor midfielders just got injured, i know ill sub him for a immobile trunk" - euro champion manager

Immobile starts most of the time :confused:

:v: :shepicide:

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
https://twitter.com/OptaAnalyst/status/1597328152283721729

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Well, today was fun but assuming we end up first (well, I believe in anything now), Spain coming in second is not really very good for us lol.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Average Lettuce posted:

Well, today was fun but assuming we end up first (well, I believe in anything now), Spain coming in second is not really very good for us lol.

the believable alternatives as i saw them yesterday was us facing brazil or germany, so our chances of making it to the semis upgrade if it ends up being spain imo

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

*whatever the Portuguese equivalent of "It's Coming Home is*

https://twitter.com/BNHWalker/status/1599040756345356289?t=VRFdnEpz3CcJhz-4P-RkFw&s=19

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

It says it no longer exists, what was it?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Average Lettuce posted:

It says it no longer exists, what was it?

538 says Portugal have a 76% chance of winning the World Cup

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Can't argue with the data.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

vyelkin posted:

I'm liking those odds

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

vyelkin posted:

Well that’s Portugal out against Morocco then.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
that was so sick

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

The day went pretty well for us. Apart from winning, going against a tired Morocco is pretty nice!

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Average Lettuce posted:

The day went pretty well for us. Apart from winning, going against a tired Morocco is pretty nice!

i think were beating morocco and then getting pwned by france but looking this strong and w/o ronaldo to boot is a huge morale boost not just for this world cup but the team in general. good poo poo

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
Noob question: what gets lost tactically if they try to play Ronaldo and Ramos at the same
time ?

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Noob question: what gets lost tactically if they try to play Ronaldo and Ramos at the same
time ?

11 players instead of 10 plus a huge self involved piece of poo poo op

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Gonçalo is still a pretty streaky striker, but hes just a absolute workhorse that opens everything up for fernandes, silva and felix.
Joao felix is having a incredible WC, if we sort out our defending in corners and free kicks we might actually have a punters chance at winning this thing.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Lasagna Pilot posted:

time ?

Ronaldo's problem at this stage in his career is he either stands relatively static in the box if he's not part of play when the ball is out wide, expecting a cross, or he hangs around in the half space between where a 10 would be and a left sided forward. If Ramos was playing alongside Ronaldo, Portugal would need to switch formation to accommodate a front two and probably sacrificing a midfielder to do so since you don't want to give up width or the defensive structure.

That might have been fine against this Switzerland team as far as the midfield goes, but to go back to what I said earlier about the spaces Ronaldo hangs out in during a match, he'd be constantly either taking up space Ramos wants to run into, or standing in the spaces Bruno wants to operate in. At United this made the left sided forward less effective and Bruno operating from more wide positions, which loving sucks and would also for Portugal playing him in a front 2.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Ronaldo's problem at this stage in his career is he either stands relatively static in the box if he's not part of play when the ball is out wide, expecting a cross, or he hangs around in the half space between where a 10 would be and a left sided forward. If Ramos was playing alongside Ronaldo, Portugal would need to switch formation to accommodate a front two and probably sacrificing a midfielder to do so since you don't want to give up width or the defensive structure.

That might have been fine against this Switzerland team as far as the midfield goes, but to go back to what I said earlier about the spaces Ronaldo hangs out in during a match, he'd be constantly either taking up space Ramos wants to run into, or standing in the spaces Bruno wants to operate in. At United this made the left sided forward less effective and Bruno operating from more wide positions, which loving sucks and would also for Portugal playing him in a front 2.

Great explanation , thanks

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This definitely happened

Sky Sports: Portugal deny report Ronaldo threatened to quit World Cup.
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/32461/12763960/cristiano-ronaldo-portugal-deny-report-claiming-captain-threatened-to-quit-world-cup

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Ronaldo's problem at this stage in his career is he's a huge whiny baby.

Fixed.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

There’s another article on the Record. Apparently Ronnie’s personal manager is hanging around the team even though he doesn’t work for the Portuguese football fed. It’s pissing people off too.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Pinche Rudo posted:

There’s another article on the Record. Apparently Ronnie’s personal manager is hanging around the team even though he doesn’t work for the Portuguese football fed. It’s pissing people off too.

Someone cleverer than me should stick ronald's face on that somehow

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Poortugal

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Have fun in Saudi Arabia, you dumb bitch

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Pootugal

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Pisstiano Ronaldo