Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
this might be a really dumb question but does anyone have any idea how well this thing would run on the deck?

e: darktide, that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Foul Fowl posted:

this might be a really dumb question but does anyone have any idea how well this thing would run on the deck?

not at all, it uses easy anticheat

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Foul Fowl posted:

needs a simple workaround to get EAC working https://steamcommunity.com/app/1361210/discussions/0/6126609705336354111/

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

hemale in pain posted:

It's weird going from deep rock galactic, where everyone is super helpful and teamworky, back to vermintide 2 where people run off, die and rage quit. I think it's the end stat screen which makes people desperate to score as many kills as possible to make numbers go up. Someone said that was gone in Darktide.

I think it has to do with stuff like the level design, movement speed, and pickups being things like potions, healing, and ammunition. Some people will run around looking in every crevice for pickups. Characters all move at the same walking speed. The levels are all (more or less) straight lines.

In DRG, everything you can pick up is something somebody wants or needs, and you supply your own ammo. You can traverse levels relatively quickly and easily to gather each other, and players don't have to worry about the types of special enemies that are in Vermintide. DRG really seems like it was designed to be the least-enraging coop shooter.

Foul Fowl posted:

Hard to say. The DT beta ran so comically poorly for most people that it's hard to gauge how the final product will run.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

hemale in pain posted:

It's weird going from deep rock galactic, where everyone is super helpful and teamworky, back to vermintide 2 where people run off, die and rage quit. I think it's the end stat screen which makes people desperate to score as many kills as possible to make numbers go up. Someone said that was gone in Darktide.

Not fully gone, but poo poo elf syndrome is way reduced. The divide between "weapons good at thinning crowds" and "weapons good at pulping armored elites" is way more stark and you need to be a lot more mindful of your load out and what it can do. The speed of combat in general and melee in particular is slowed down to a certain extent. And no weapon is particularly blend-o-riffic like the elf / witch hunter weapons could be.

The big thing that really helps build cooperation in this game is the coherence system. The best way to get the equivalent of your temp hp back is to be close to your buddies. Every class also comes with passive buffs to allies in coherency, so like the zealot gives damage boost, ogryn damage reduction, ect. It rewards starting near your teammates enough that I was a lot more mindful of where they were and getting with them

Edit:

Pennsylvanian posted:

I think it has to do with stuff like the level design, movement speed, and pickups being things like potions, healing, and ammunition. Some people will run around looking in every crevice for pickups. Characters all move at the same walking speed. The levels are all (more or less) straight lines.

In DRG, everything you can pick up is something somebody wants or needs, and you supply your own ammo. You can traverse levels relatively quickly and easily to gather each other, and players don't have to worry about the types of special enemies that are in Vermintide. DRG really seems like it was designed to be the least-enraging coop shooter.

Hard to say. The DT beta ran so comically poorly for most people that it's hard to gauge how the final product will run.

I'm liable to veer off topic, but I went back to DRG the other week and I was profoundly bored. The procedurally generated maps are a neat concept in theory, but in my experience they make a lot of samey bland corridors with which you can fight a bunch of slow boring bugs on.

I appreciate the concept for what it is though, and I hope the developers can spin that tech they've developed into something more fun if they ever do DRG2

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 9, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My experience with the vast majority of VT players is pretty good. It's just very frustrating when you get one of the stereotypical baddies on your team.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DeathSandwich posted:

The big thing that really helps build cooperation in this game is the coherence system. The best way to get the equivalent of your temp hp back is to be close to your buddies. Every class also comes with passive buffs to allies in coherency, so like the zealot gives damage boost, ogryn damage reduction, ect. It rewards starting near your teammates enough that I was a lot more mindful of where they were and getting with them

I do like this system. I'm not sure that the people who are going off on their own will fully understand this system and why it means they should stick with the team but it's definitely something they'll learn quickly!

I usually have at least 3 people in my group to play so most of the time we're only matchmaking in a 4th and it's far less of a pain to deal with one rogue person in a group who may or may not cycle out depending on how quickly they die.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
okay I admit it, I'm the one who keeps stopping the party to spin grinding wheels for minutes on end

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

explosivo posted:

I do like this system. I'm not sure that the people who are going off on their own will fully understand this system and why it means they should stick with the team but it's definitely something they'll learn quickly!

I usually have at least 3 people in my group to play so most of the time we're only matchmaking in a 4th and it's far less of a pain to deal with one rogue person in a group who may or may not cycle out depending on how quickly they die.

It's literally beaten into you in the mandatory tutorial you do for every character you create. You have to actively try to not get it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

One question I have about Coherency is how the bonuses to radius/size work. Let's say I'm an Ogryn and I take the talent that increases Coherency size by 100%. Does this mean I get the Coherency bonus that much further away, does it apply my Coherency bonus that much further away, or both?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

It's literally beaten into you in the mandatory tutorial you do for every character you create. You have to actively try to not get it.
You have incredibly high hopes of the average FPS player's attention span.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Siivola posted:

You have incredibly high hopes of the average FPS player's attention span.

Yeah, there are several tutorials and they're all skippable. I also didn't finish all of them during the beta because it kept CTDing halfway through.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I'm really wierded out by how many game ending crashes I've been experiencing from Vermintide 2, much more than the Darktide beta. super wierd.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm really wierded out by how many game ending crashes I've been experiencing from Vermintide 2, much more than the Darktide beta. super wierd.

Since I started playing vt2 again in the last month or so I've crashed like twice total.

Did you try to verify your install files in Steam?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

For whatever reason my phone doesn't play nice trying to open this link. Got a imgur repost?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm liable to veer off topic, but I went back to DRG the other week and I was profoundly bored. The procedurally generated maps are a neat concept in theory, but in my experience they make a lot of samey bland corridors with which you can fight a bunch of slow boring bugs on.

Deep Rock is more about time and resource management compared to *Tide games' emphasis on mechanical execution. Though the former's bugs are still extremely dangerous on high difficulty levels because the miners are vastly, vastly less powerful in melee than even the most ranged-focused *Tide characters. It's a choice between tension (DRG) and action (*Tide) IMO.

Which is why codexes loving suck in VT2. If I'm here, I'm here for the action. Stop loving up the flow.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Cease to Hope posted:

not at all, it uses easy anticheat

Pennsylvanian posted:

thank you, sounds like i'll hopefully know within the refund window at least.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Al-Saqr posted:

Give the EAC Setup in the V2 directory a shot, there's a repair install option. 95% of the time if V2 starts crashing randomly when it didnt before, its EAC.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I reset my VT2 account about a month ago in anticipation of Darktide coming. I wanted the experience of building up to max power/completion again. Or at least as complete as I get, as a non-cata person. This meant matchmaking in recruit/veteran because you're locked out of champ and legend by your power level.

It was actually a ton of fun to play with newbies as an experienced player. Instead of going for all the green circles, I held back a lot and let the new people enjoy themselves while protecting against potential wipes. Maybe once a game I would offer a tip but mostly I didn't want to break the prime directive. Everyone was friendly and having a good time, except for one person... an elf. Gardens of Morr finale, I decide not to tell everyone to break chains one at a time because I'm confident I can clutch on veteran without trying very hard. Three of us wait to fight the horde after the first chain while the elf immediately runs off across the room to break other chains. The three of us are fighting a massive group of spawns, from our one chain and the three the elf got to + the group that comes through the exit door, when she goes down. So we're fighting basically every enemy that can spawn during the event and she drops on the other side of the room. Immediately - like, a second after her outline goes red - "Uh, a little help?" Like loving lol. That is classic poo poo that I have not seen since I started. It made me so happy. I wanted to say "you should have died closer to us" but I do not like being toxic, even in retaliation to toxicity

Most of the toxicity I see in VT2 is from people who probably don't know they're being toxic, like elves throwing javelins into your back in an attempt to kill slave rats, or people who have not internalized "look behind you sometimes when you're in the lead and moving forward". I wish FF did a portion of the damage to the instigator. Running ahead, you'll eventually get murdered or disabled. But you can FF like a madman and the game doesn't do poo poo to incentivize you to think, maybe I shouldn't shoot into my team's melee battle.

People never checking behind them is a real problem. I always gravitate toward the role of rearguard in games like this but with new players you really have to let the rats hit them in the back or else they're just going to sprint ahead while you kill stragglers. Then you're a mile behind and they have no idea because they have no incentive to check behind them.

tl;dr I love tide, I want to make goon friends to play it because my friends suck, i love typing huge blocks of text about killin rats

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

DeathSandwich posted:

For whatever reason my phone doesn't play nice trying to open this link. Got a imgur repost?

Try this: https://imgur.com/0jzLYpK
Edited my original post too so it's an imgur link now.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Still have not beat the new VT2 mission. Every time I play it, people spread out during the cog section then ragequit when they get downed alone in the corner nowhere near the objectives.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

The finale feels like 80% of the enemies spawn in the first 20 seconds, then if you survive that and kill the monster it's standard waves. Idk. Three of my pugs have died without lighting a torch, my fourth we ignored the torch and just spent 3 minutes clearing all the loving armor out and then we were able to do the objective with small waves like any other objective setpiece.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Pennsylvanian posted:

Still have not beat the new VT2 mission. Every time I play it, people spread out during the cog section then ragequit when they get downed alone in the corner nowhere near the objectives.

Yeah we wiped once on the cog section, but it's really not too bad once you know where to look for them to show up. There's just two cogs you have to go bring up to the top and throw onto the place where it wants it (like you throw the barrels to blow up walls). The last area with the torches is really tough though. It's always annoying when the objective is something like "light a fire" and naturally the only valid source of fire comes from the single torch that Olyssia gives you.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The main problem is there's no waymark for the Torch when it's on the ground and so you can easily get it lost somewhere and have people not know where it spawns to pick it back up.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ChaseSP posted:

The main problem is there's no waymark for the Torch when it's on the ground and so you can easily get it lost somewhere and have people not know where it spawns to pick it back up.

Yeah, for sure. I spent so much time walking up to each urn without the torch because the waypoint seemed like it was indicating you had to go to the urn to get the fire. Once we figured out she was throwing a torch in the center it was already too late and we were swarmed.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

explosivo posted:

The autonomous sleigh is really funny to me for some reason, like how it just ends up at the right place after we shoved it over a snowy hill.

Considering that even after the mine mission, none of the U5 ever remember to hold onto any bloody mission critical object near an incline, it's just as well the sleigh's autonomous otherwise they'd never win near hills.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

big cummers ONLY posted:

The finale feels like 80% of the enemies spawn in the first 20 seconds, then if you survive that and kill the monster it's standard waves. Idk. Three of my pugs have died without lighting a torch, my fourth we ignored the torch and just spent 3 minutes clearing all the loving armor out and then we were able to do the objective with small waves like any other objective setpiece.

I'm also running into a LOT of single-digit level Krubers on Champion difficulty.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Another day, another lighthearted frolic through a Darktide character's backstory:

https://www.playdarktide.com/news/short-story-the-psyker/

only good things happen to unsanctioned psykers

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

KazigluBey posted:

Thank you.

For those who spent a good amount of time in the test, how are the character personalities and dialogue feeling? I know FS states that they have even more dialogue than in VT2 but is it overall the same quality that made the 5 so memorable? I know the idea here is you're just some disposable schlub like all the rest in the penal battalions and they went whole-hog into the whole character customization thing, but I'm wondering how it stacks up against the far FAR less customizable but more characterful 5 of VT1 and 2.
As others have said, they're OK. Individually decent. Collectively, not really a patch on Vermintide's dialogue because by design they have to be much more generic than interactions between VT's named characters were.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Sab Sabbington posted:

This is incredible, the Slayer and Shade ones are perfect and remain true since Day 1.

Slayer one reminds me of my favorite VT2 video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woUCKlc5T58

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

The quality of the voice lines still seems to be there, it just lacks familiar established characters chatting each other up. I'd say it kind of makes sense, since the four players are meant to be a part of a full-scale unit. I'm mostly disappointed because the voice actors really embodied their roles for Vermintide.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Can't wait to bash puny spikey armored baddies with my best mates: shouty boy and weird lad

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The demo felt like they had about as much personality and high quality VA performance as they could get with generic nobodies as player characters, but those generic nobodies are never going to have the same amount of charm as a kruber. They’re executing about as well as well as they possibly can within those limitations but there’s a hard ceiling on what they can do without well-defined named characters who are grounded in the setting. the upside of course is that you get your own custom character instead, but I’m doubtful that’s something many people really wanted out of this genre.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah honestly I have no idea why they went from a static group to a make your own character thing that I don't think anyone was ever clamoring for at all. You got customization in the form of cosmetics and that was enough it felt.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i do that homer simpson joke as sister of the thorn in literally every game i play and it never fails

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ChaseSP posted:

Yeah honestly I have no idea why they went from a static group to a make your own character thing that I don't think anyone was ever clamoring for at all. You got customization in the form of cosmetics and that was enough it felt.

40k isn't really a game of named personalities outside of like commander level. Double so for imperial guard. A huge theme for anything IG focused is that there really isn't space for heroes, just more meat for the grinder.

It also gives you narrative space to have like 4 psyker parties without it literally being a specific named character and her unexplained alter egos like it's Fight Club.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Will Darktide have the same voice cast as Vermintide 2? I kind of want to hear the woman who voices Kerillian without the fake (but endearing) Scottish accent

Orv
May 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Will Darktide have the same voice cast as Vermintide 2? I kind of want to hear the woman who voices Kerillian without the fake (but endearing) Scottish accent

Each of the VT2 actors does a Darktide voice option. They’re pretty great.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah they're all in there at least to my ears. The witch hunter is one of the psykers, one of the ogryns is the dwarf, I know I heard the witch and the elf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Phlegmish posted:

I've heard everyone from the old game in one way or another. Baradin is one of the ogryn voices, Saltz and Sienna both have a psyker voice. Elf is one of the sharpshooter voices and is full Irish and I think Kruber is one of the fanatics.