Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

does 40k not have any rats? wtf even is the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

They’re called Tau.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

They're called humanity actually.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

humans arent cute but tau is almost an anagram for rat so maybe...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's awesome about the voice cast. I kind of regret not signing up for the Darktide closed beta, although my computer is in the shitter so I probably wouldn't have been able to play anyway. Good news is I'll be getting a copy of the game bundled with my new graphics card

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

humans arent cute but tau is almost an anagram for rat so maybe...

Tau aut to be an anagram for rat.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

The rats are going to be modded back in by some enterprising lad or lass, it's just a matter of time.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

DeathSandwich posted:

40k isn't really a game of named personalities outside of like commander level. Double so for imperial guard. A huge theme for anything IG focused is that there really isn't space for heroes, just more meat for the grinder.

It also gives you narrative space to have like 4 psyker parties without it literally being a specific named character and her unexplained alter egos like it's Fight Club.

Letting multiple characters of the same type in the same match is possibly the biggest mistake Darktide is making, that kind of thing causes balance problems in any game of this genre that allows it, even worse since you can't switch characters once you're in a lobby

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Haven't played V2 in a while. Is there any 'must get' DLC in particular, while the lot is on sale?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 10, 2022

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

DeathSandwich posted:

I've heard everyone from the old game in one way or another. Baradin is one of the ogryn voices, Saltz and Sienna both have a psyker voice. Elf is one of the sharpshooter voices and is full Irish and I think Kruber is one of the fanatics.

Correction to this, elf is fanatic 1. I think salts is fanatic 1 on the male side. Baradin is definitely ogryn 3, Sienna is psyker 2. Nothing I heard quite hits sir Kruber unless he's putting a big twist on his voice, maybe one of the sharpshooter?

https://youtu.be/bZij8nx4lx4

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 10, 2022

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Unlucky7 posted:

Haven't played V2 in a while. Is there any 'must get' DLC in particular, while the lot is on sale?

Return to Ubersreik, Drachenfels are both solid. Get any class that interests you though elf has probably one of the single best quality of life weapons in the javelin for non-sister

Avoid winds of magic. Beastmen are loving awful.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DeathSandwich posted:

40k isn't really a game of named personalities outside of like commander level. Double so for imperial guard. A huge theme for anything IG focused is that there really isn't space for heroes, just more meat for the grinder.
Isn't literally the most famous 40K book series about a squad of Imperial Guard grunts.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Mordja posted:

Isn't literally the most famous 40K book series about a squad of Imperial Guard grunts.

Yes about commisar captain gaunt or whatever

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mordja posted:

And those books have generally horrendous body counts. Outside of like the Ciaphas Cain series most individual characters don't get happy endings. Even really Iconic stuff like Eisenhorn and Ravenor winds up with generally bittersweet endings with the main characters isolated, dead, or otherwise on the lam.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I'm sure hoping this game takes up less hard drive space than VT2.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Orv posted:

They’re called Tau.

If we ever have to hurt a Kroot, I'm out.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

can you imagine backhanding a fire warrior, just lmao

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Pharmaskittle posted:

can you imagine backhanding a fire warrior, just lmao

I think you would knock their heads clean right off especially if you were a space marine

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kokoro Wish posted:

If we ever have to hurt a Kroot, I'm out.

I assure you in that scenario the Kroot will be hurting you.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Orv posted:

Each of the VT2 actors does a Darktide voice option. They’re pretty great.

DeathSandwich posted:

I've heard everyone from the old game in one way or another. Baradin is one of the ogryn voices, Saltz and Sienna both have a psyker voice. Elf is one of the sharpshooter voices and is full Irish and I think Kruber is one of the fanatics.

okay i'm confused because i looked at the full credited list of voice actors in darktide and zero of them were in vermintide 2???

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Vermintide is making a really big comeback!

https://twitter.com/VermintideGame/status/1590056742263656449?s=20&t=Xkeh7Gqap20cfaDmDeplCQ

also they released a short story for the psykers.

https://twitter.com/Darktide40K/status/1590434055123652608?s=20&t=jpwiI4NAmswmK0A-mvEXGw

I'm pretty optimistic despite the voice acting that the story will be good, Dan Abnett is a pretty incredible writer so I think he will make something good of the plot overall.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

dmboogie posted:

okay i'm confused because i looked at the full credited list of voice actors in darktide and zero of them were in vermintide 2???

Not going to lie, I thought for sure that the female Loose Cannon Veteran was Kerillian's VA, just Irish instead of Scottish in inflection. They sound uncannily alike.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

DeathSandwich posted:

It also gives you narrative space to have like 4 psyker parties without it literally being a specific named character and her unexplained alter egos like it's Fight Club.
40k is also much more Serious Business Grimdark than WHFB, which has the great virtue of not taking itself particularly seriously. That's another reason why the voice acting in VT is so fun and why it's tricky to recreate that atmosphere in a 40k game.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

yeah 40k and fantasy are distinctly different genres, you can do a fun adventure fantasy caper with deeper characters in WHFB, but how you translate that into an industrial horror fascism scenario where life is super cheap in the far future is tricky you really have to have humor that is Vanta Black and plays around with the contempt and cruelty humanity has for itself.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Al-Saqr posted:

yeah 40k and fantasy are distinctly different genres, you can do a fun adventure fantasy caper with deeper characters in WHFB, but how you translate that into an industrial horror fascism scenario where life is super cheap in the far future is tricky you really have to have humor that is Vanta Black and plays around with the contempt and cruelty humanity has for itself.
Well, 40K used to be a bit less up its own backside. You had Inquisitor Obi-wan Sherlock Clouseau, and factions based around hair-metal guitar solos and fat beardy bikers and stuff. The Orks keep some of the more light-hearted old atmosphere going a bit. But Grim Space Catholicism sells more models, so that's the direction the setting has gone in.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 10, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Obiwan Sherlock Clouseau was last seen over thirty years ago.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Also grimoires should be deleted from the game, thank you for coming to my TEDx Talk.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Apparently the beta was logging stuff about missing fx for Daemonhost and Beasts of Nurgle. I'm guessing Beasts will be a Monster alternate (like plague ogryns) but lorewise Daemonhosts seem like a big power jump.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Mordja posted:

I'd like to try this if it's an audiobook. I asked a friend for a recommendation and he told me to try Helsreach and it was a boring slog of characters introducing themselves for three hours.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Pennsylvanian posted:

I'd like to try this if it's an audiobook. I asked a friend for a recommendation and he told me to try Helsreach and it was a boring slog of characters introducing themselves for three hours.

for a straight faced action book, Gaunts ghosts:-

https://a.co/d/icACvrH

For a fun swashbuckling adventure that doesnt take itself too seriously, Caphias Cain

https://a.co/d/bGMGkoF

For grim dark, Krieg:-

https://www.amazon.com/Audible-Krie...le%2C240&sr=1-1

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Pennsylvanian posted:

This is pretty much each book. Badass guy being badass in his own way talking to badass who is badass in their own way. Then they die. One or both.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

ive been saying this

Orv
May 4, 2011

dmboogie posted:

Well then at least four of those people are doing absolutely tremendous impersonations because literally everyone seems to have agreed that some of the voices were the VT VAs. That one voice sounds exactly like Sienna, etc. Pretty wild if that’s the case.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

IMO the only 40k books people should read if they're not already completely sold on 40k and therefore willing to forgive a multitude of sins are:

Dan Abnett's stuff, in particular:
- his Eisenhorn/Inquisition series
- Brothers of the Snake (quite small-scale Space Marine stuff, very engaging and good enough that I re-read it every now and then)
- Double Eagle (very much a nod to WW1/WW2 pilots)
I found Gaunt's Ghosts a bit of a slog and a bit predictable, to be honest.

The Ciaphas Cain novels by Sandy Mitchell, although he has a formula and sticks to it religiously

Lord of the Night by Simon Spurrier

and then the controversial choices of a bunch of old-school Ian Watson books. Watson is weird and liked writing about faeces just a little bit too much, but his work really jived well with the tone of 40k at the time:
- Inquisition War Trilogy (kind of a proto-Eisenhorn series)
- Space Marine
- Deathwing (anthology)

Abnett is their best and most consistet writer, and I am baffled by some of the praise heaped on some of the other big names in 40k writing given how strong a negative response I've had to their work (looking at you, David Annandale). The Horus Heresy series is an absolute slog with some highlights. There's a billion books of varying mediocrity outside of that.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

I want them! :kimchi:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Tiler Kiwi posted:

ive been saying this
https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ratling

it's us, we're the rattes

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Thirsty Dog posted:

The Ciaphas Cain novels by Sandy Mitchell, although he has a formula and sticks to it religiously
Specifically, for any Brits reading this, the formula is "Flashman in space"

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Zephro posted:

Specifically, for any Brits reading this, the formula is "Flashman in space"

Not even just that - his books follow the same pattern almost every time, and he really starts to repeat even the same phrases in some of his later novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

dmboogie posted:

I didn't know Matt Ward was writing for this game, but I guess it makes sense since he was also involved with Vermintide.