Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I bought this, hit 30 with an Ogryn, and understand exactly none of how the item stuff in this game works or what I’m supposed to be looking for. Is there a non-30-minute-long-video resource explaining this system that’s actually up to date with the current game version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Harvey Baldman posted:

I bought this, hit 30 with an Ogryn, and understand exactly none of how the item stuff in this game works or what I’m supposed to be looking for. Is there a non-30-minute-long-video resource explaining this system that’s actually up to date with the current game version?

I gots ya, pal

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3044646170

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Harvey Baldman posted:

do you need like basics, or just explanations of the crafting system or anything in particular?

Ed linked a guide a lot of players use for Ogryns but tbh it's better to actually understand how the things it recommends get made and why to pick what. You can also just follow the guide if ya don't want to think too hard and figure it out via context.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 3, 2024

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I’ve been reading the Ogynomicon but it doesn’t really explain how to actually pursue the items it recommends. As of right now, my best understanding is…

- Buy any gray weapon I see that’s 360 or above, ignore most everything else because the blessings on the shop items seem to max out at rank 2;

- Upgrade items from gray to fish for rank 4 blessings?

- Put said blessings on weapons with the highest base stats I can find.

Does this mean I should just be buying base level stuff from Brunt’s Armory? What else am I missing? What do I do with items that seem to suck, just sell them? I can’t turn them into plasteel or diam right?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That's mostly right. Most endgame weapons come from pouring a ton of cash into grays until you get a really good one, upgrading it to gold, getting lucky enough for it to have at least 2 affixes you can accept, and then gluing on the best affixes into the other two slots. There's no need to push for an utterly-perfect weapon, though; 340 stats in a good distribution and some decent tier-3 blessings is entirely serviceable even in the hardest missions in the game.

Upgrading weapons purely to fish for blessings is painfully expensive, so I rarely do it. Most blessings are perfectly functional at lower tiers, with a few key exceptions like Power Cycler. You can get high-tier blessings from post-mission drops (Auric 5s will almost always give you a gold weapon), and Melk often sells stuff with tier-4 blessings, too. Ogryns are notable for having a very small weapon pool, which makes it much easier to fill out your blessing library; poor Psykers have their pool diluted by a million dumb guns and axes they don't care about, and none of the staves share blessings at all.

Items you don't want and that don't have blessings you want should just be sold, yes.

e: This mod lets you see weapon stats and whether they have a blessing you need without having to click on them, very useful

megane fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 3, 2024

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Ah. Yeah, sorry, fixated too much on the "what to look out for" part of your post. :shobon:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Harvey Baldman posted:

I’ve been reading the Ogynomicon but it doesn’t really explain how to actually pursue the items it recommends. As of right now, my best understanding is…

- Buy any gray weapon I see that’s 360 or above, ignore most everything else because the blessings on the shop items seem to max out at rank 2;

- Upgrade items from gray to fish for rank 4 blessings?

- Put said blessings on weapons with the highest base stats I can find.

Does this mean I should just be buying base level stuff from Brunt’s Armory? What else am I missing? What do I do with items that seem to suck, just sell them? I can’t turn them into plasteel or diam right?

Brunt's is actually the primary source of grey weapons, you'll quickly stop using the regular shop once you get a good set of curios. I haven't touched the regular armory since I maxed out all my classes 450+hrs ago.

If a weapon you upgrade doesn't roll what you want and you have something better then:

A) if it has a blessing you haven't given to Hadron yet, go give that blessing to her for the library

or

B) sell it if A does not apply.

Otherwise just play the game, gather plasteel/diamantine and earn credits and work on weapons you're interested in making. If you want start another class, or keep playing Ogryn for a while.

Soon(tm) we'll be getting the crafting overhaul so that loop might get a change.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Harvey Baldman posted:

Efficiency wise you can get greens from the store as they roll over to save on some plasteel to fish for blessings since they only end up costing like 150 plas or whatever.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I don't think it's been mentioned, so in case it wasn't clear: you can refine/re-bless a total of 2 perks and/or blessings, after which point the other two slots become locked. You can still re-refine/re-re-bless those same slots with something else after that point though.

Also, weapon stats only go up to 80%. Sorry if this is obvious, but I have a friend who played for well over a year without realizing this and just thought he was unlucky.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

There's a patch but my patch process keeps stopping at the "installing" phase.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

just another hotfix, but I had no trouble downloading and installing it. Check how much memory your comp has available maybe?

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/s/5KeF4M4zI6 Largely cosmetics and penance stuff but I’m very here for it. Especially as the other stuff (crafting rework, etc) starts coming out too. This is a nice start.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

just another hotfix, but I had no trouble downloading and installing it. Check how much memory your comp has available maybe?

It was the rare "content locked" error. It's fixed now.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

quote:

This update will introduce a new version of the penance system, but it’ll also come with additional supporting content. Here is a list of what is coming to you in April:

A new free way to collect rewards: penance points will now count towards a progression track composed of 40+ tiers, allowing players to unlock earnable rewards.
A new home for penances in the Mourningstar: Hestia will be in charge of keeping a record of the rejects’ penances and will join the rest of the Mourningstar crew in voice-overs during missions.
200+ new penances: a slew of new penances will be added to the game for players to complete. These will be divided into new categories.
100+ new earnable rewards: these will include new insignias, portrait frames, emotes, poses, weapon trinkets, and cosmetics such as the loyalist Moebian 6th outfits.
New reward type - Titles: allowing players to brag about their most impressive achievements.
Improved penance UI and menu: allowing players to better track penances and progress toward rewards.
New puzzles, challenges, and collectibles: we are adding several puzzles across Tertium Hive for players to discover and solve.
New enemy: the Dreg Tox Bomber will join the ranks of the heretics, hurling Blight Grenades filled with toxic fumes.
New condition: Pox Gas will join the roster of conditions that can spread across Tertium. Recommendation: don’t breathe too deeply.
The Personality Scourge: players will have the option to change additional aspects of your operative (background, height, name, and voice) in exchange for ordo dockets.

Highlights: New crew member + mission operator, New enemy, New in map puzzles, Ability to change your personality (finally!!)

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

For anyone who wants to read the actual post, here's a link.

https://www.playdarktide.com/news/p...xuMpJfbDk9XO458

Considering the only puzzle so far unlocked the hard mode twins fight, I'm down for some more hard mode remixes on finales and any new ideas fatshark might come up with.

Some of the new cosmetics are apparently pre-heresy Mobien 6th and the outfits of the "canon" characters on the title screen. Hell yeah

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 4, 2024

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Has there been a very recent influx of veterans that explicitly stay about 90 feet from the group at all times and go down constantly? It is literally like playing with 3 people on the team. I just had one with 3 psykers that stuck together and a random vet that went down probably 6 times and full died 2 times. I just stopped going for him because it would risk the entire team.

Seems to be a recent trend as I’ve noticed more of them lately.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Cretin90 posted:

Has there been a very recent influx of veterans that explicitly stay about 90 feet from the group at all times and go down constantly? It is literally like playing with 3 people on the team. I just had one with 3 psykers that stuck together and a random vet that went down probably 6 times and full died 2 times. I just stopped going for him because it would risk the entire team.

Seems to be a recent trend as I’ve noticed more of them lately.

I think veterans have been the most popular class for a while, although I don’t have any solid evidence to support this. And some people, especially starting out, just don’t seem to have awareness of team members :hydrogen:

Related, my least favorite archetype to play with is the loner zealot who thinks it’s a free pass to be far away all the time. More doable than other classes… but still a bad play most of the time.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I like that I can finally get my veteran to shut up about Cadia without rerolling and maybe hear the less popular Ogyn voicelines, I am very unsure about hearing about puzzles in the maps because we might end up with adding another 1-5 minutes on to a run because someone keeps trying and failing to do the vermintide-style jumping puzzle where you need your left pinky to land on the broken pipe.

Or someone alt tabbing between a guide like for the twin's hardmode.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Otto Octopus posted:

I think veterans have been the most popular class for a while, although I don’t have any solid evidence to support this. And some people, especially starting out, just don’t seem to have awareness of team members :hydrogen:

Related, my least favorite archetype to play with is the loner zealot who thinks it’s a free pass to be far away all the time. More doable than other classes… but still a bad play most of the time.

Yeah, Fatshark released the most popular character, which they said is a veteran using a MGXII. That was a few months ago, but no reason to think the player base has meaningfully changed since then.

I haven't seen too many suicidal loners lately, but I'm a shift worker so I play at weird times with a small pubbie player base. As a result, I run into the same people repeatedly. One of them just hides any time there's a fight. Back to the wall, standing in a corner, plinking away with a lasgun.

Not sure if they're trying for the untouchable penance or what, but it makes the scanner set pieces take a hell of a lot longer when at least one player isn't doing anything useful.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'm def most hyped to be able to try out some different voices. I appreciate Fatshark goes the extra mile to make an in-universe reason for new mechanics too but I'm gonna feel kinda bad brain blasting my rejects...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'll try to keep an open mind, but I am absolutely not interested in "New puzzles, challenges, and collectibles."

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah my first take is "a bit over 4 months for just this? reworking their barebones achievement system and opening up a much requested character editing feature? they still call this a live service game?"

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
you can find many examples in this thread alone about people bitching about penances and free cosmetics so yeah, i think people care a lot about them. i dont, but hey, you got your voices heard

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
On the subject of Bombers vs. the new Tox Throwers, is there any functional difference between Tox Flamers and Traitor Flamers? Is the color of the flames purely cosmetic?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Tox Flamers do more corruption damage from what I can tell.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yeah my first take is "a bit over 4 months for just this? reworking their barebones achievement system and opening up a much requested character editing feature? they still call this a live service game?"

considering the last puzzle they implemented led to a pretty fun hard mode remix of a boss fight? I'm down for seeing what the puzzles have in store. Some remixed finales would be cool, and maybe they'll sneak in something about pants robbers.

and fwiw there hasn't been a single jumping puzzle yet in Darktide, though I know y'all VT vets are probably traumatized from the puzzles in those games.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Decided to take a break from my stupid nearly perfectly power sword and try out a good shovel. It seems…….. really good. I’m using the mk7 and it has incredible crowd control and obviously does STUPID damage on a charged special hit.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
I have questions about some stuff that seems buggy or more complex in this game and is extremely frustrating. I need to make sure I'm not going crazy.

1. Janky targeting/hit boxes. I've been knocked a bunch of times recently by crushers and maulers visibly missing me by multiple feet. I assume this is just a latency thing but it's loving annoying.
2. Awkwardly long delays before triggering abilities. This has mostly been happening on my telekine shield on psyker but I feel like I have to mash f on average 4-5 times before it'll trigger. I don't have this issue with basically every other ability, so I assume it's got a 'somatic component' - D&D style - where there's not only a cast time but also you can't do it while you're doing something else unlike venting shriek or voice of command. Anyway, I've probably explained this to myself but it's so loving annoying watching my entire team get chewed up by gunners and it takes 3 seconds to get my telekine shield out.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Fatshark servers have been lagging intermittently recently so you have probably been getting owned

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
hadron working hard thank you etc

Homeless Friend posted:

Fatshark servers have been lagging intermittently recently so you have probably been getting owned

tight

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i was never convinced on surge vs flurry, but also that's a basically near perfect bullshit roll lol

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Cretin90 posted:

I have questions about some stuff that seems buggy or more complex in this game and is extremely frustrating. I need to make sure I'm not going crazy.

1. Janky targeting/hit boxes. I've been knocked a bunch of times recently by crushers and maulers visibly missing me by multiple feet. I assume this is just a latency thing but it's loving annoying.
2. Awkwardly long delays before triggering abilities. This has mostly been happening on my telekine shield on psyker but I feel like I have to mash f on average 4-5 times before it'll trigger. I don't have this issue with basically every other ability, so I assume it's got a 'somatic component' - D&D style - where there's not only a cast time but also you can't do it while you're doing something else unlike venting shriek or voice of command. Anyway, I've probably explained this to myself but it's so loving annoying watching my entire team get chewed up by gunners and it takes 3 seconds to get my telekine shield out.

1 is just on you, soz, though sometimes it happens very occasionally to me it's usually connecting to a further server than usual when playing in a group.

2 is... it's hard to describe, but a few melee weapons for a while had some weird interactions with abilities where you couldn't trigger your actives unless you attacked again due to some animation weirdness. Happened for a while consistently with Heavy Sword and zealot chorus for me, and some of the weapons with psyker and telekine shield. Very odd, not sure what causes it.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
I wish FatShark made better cosmetics. Everytime I almost buy something I'm held back by some weird bullshit. Using the new vet set as an example.. why is the badass vet heavy body armor missing arm coverings? Also, not only is the head cosmetic ugly, it also:

Evil Kit posted:

1 is just on you, soz, though sometimes it happens very occasionally to me it's usually connecting to a further server than usual when playing in a group.

2 is... it's hard to describe, but a few melee weapons for a while had some weird interactions with abilities where you couldn't trigger your actives unless you attacked again due to some animation weirdness. Happened for a while consistently with Heavy Sword and zealot chorus for me, and some of the weapons with psyker and telekine shield. Very odd, not sure what causes it.

Hmmm. I'm not sure #2 is what's happening here (I'm just mashing f like 6 times before it triggers, not having to attack again). #1 I will accept responsibility for, it seems like some of the weapons have janky hitboxes (or more accurately the player has a janky hitbox), but considering how generous enemy head hitboxes are, for example, I guess it's a fair tradeoff.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Does #2 ever happen if you're just messing around in the Psykhanium?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Cretin90 posted:

I wish FatShark made better cosmetics. Everytime I almost buy something I'm held back by some weird bullshit. Using the new vet set as an example.. why is the badass vet heavy body armor missing arm coverings? Also, not only is the head cosmetic ugly, it also:

Hmmm. I'm not sure #2 is what's happening here (I'm just mashing f like 6 times before it triggers, not having to attack again). #1 I will accept responsibility for, it seems like some of the weapons have janky hitboxes (or more accurately the player has a janky hitbox), but considering how generous enemy head hitboxes are, for example, I guess it's a fair tradeoff.

I like the cosmetics a lot but yeah don't look too close at them.

As for 2 idk, I haven't seen it in a long while, try recording it and watching it back?

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Devils Affricate posted:

Does #2 ever happen if you're just messing around in the Psykhanium?

Evil Kit posted:

I like the cosmetics a lot but yeah don't look too close at them.

As for 2 idk, I haven't seen it in a long while, try recording it and watching it back?

I can't seem to replicate it other than confirming you need to have your hands free and not actively doing something, i.e. it won't trigger while spamming assail or staff attacks (like voice of command is available during any other activity on vet for example). I'll need to observe during combat and see what activity Im doing that feels like it has a full 1-2 second delay before allowing telekine shield.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apy_z268weo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

It's impressive how well VT2's visuals hold up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

It's impressive how well VT2's visuals hold up.

You can stress test your cpu overclock by maxing shadows as its all cpu based iirc lol