Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

VT2 is great and going back makes me miss the Ubersreik 5 and all the dialogue they have compared to the convict dialogue in Darktide. Also the handcrafted levels are way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One thing I do miss from VT2 and Darktide are VT1's objectives-based missions where you're in one spot completing various tasks. Not every level needs to be a gauntlet run. Blackpowder, Waterfront and even the infamous Wheat and Chaff or Well Warch were all nice breathers from the longer missions and it was fun being able to accomplish tasks out of order.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah those were also pretty fun, as well as the Last Stand modes for those that got released later on.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
The more freeform and open the area, the harder that area tends to be for random pub groups. Case in point is the final objective of the Hab Dreyko map, where the team needs to scan two sets of 5 locations before escaping. Nearly every team tends to get scattered to some extent, and as a result I’ve seen the most player deaths at that segment by far.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Obscura Den scan section is great fun because it's 50/50. If the scan location is inside the rooms on the left it's a cakewalk because you can easily manage the two doorways for enemies. If the scan location is on the right it's completely hosed because you're in the wide open and the composer loves to drop snipers and bombers on you.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

ChaseSP posted:

VT2 is great and going back makes me miss the Ubersreik 5 and all the dialogue they have compared to the convict dialogue in Darktide. Also the handcrafted levels are way better.

They're handcrafted in both at least.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Right but in darktide they don't feel like a connected world due to being designed via multiple blocks stitched together whose orientation can vary on the mission, rather than distinct locales for each mission in the earlier games.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

ChaseSP posted:

Right but in darktide they don't feel like a connected world due to being designed via multiple blocks stitched together whose orientation can vary on the mission, rather than distinct locales for each mission in the earlier games.

The way DT uses its interstitial map segments seems intended to increase the sense of a connected world, not lessen it. Most of the time you cross through snippets of other levels on the way to the unique mission objective. Other times you can see setpieces of other maps off in the distance, but it’s totally cordoned off. If that wasn’t an intentional design choice they could have just cut the lighting for the background and made it totally unrecognizable.

What percent of the maps would you reckon are reused? Because it seems like a small minority in most cases. In the Hab Dreyko map for example it’s just the initial highway you use before entering the Hab itself, so maybe 10-15% of the map. On the train Consignment Yard map you pass through the mid-mission event rooms of the other two Metalfab maps, so another 15% example. The most egregious is probably the Throneside missions, where you’re crossing the bridge in both cases which encompasses probably 25-30%, but those are the outlier.

Not to single you out specifically, but it just seems weird that this part of the game has been repeatedly criticized since release. Darktide’s maps are not at all lacking in detail or variety. The fact that Helldivers has essentially one map (a total dealbreaker IMO, at least for long-term replayability) and that game is considered a darling by the community is utterly baffling.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

whatever the percentage of maps that are just mario kart mirror mode versions of other maps, at the end of the day darktide’s levels feel abstract and indistinct compared to vermintide’s so a bunch of them blur together mentally into “series of dark rooms,” you don’t need to overthink what amounts to “previous game clearly did thing better”

Helldivers does not have one map, that’s both a disingenuous statement because HD has an open freeform structure with random generation rather than curated linear levels like DT, and just wrong because different mission types inherently have different layouts to say nothing of the planet terrain differences

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Not to mention pretty much every new map released in DT has had a bunch of handcrafted set pieces and areas. Pretty much since Ascension Riser and Archivum Sycirax kicking off the awesome map trend, the new maps have all been bangers and really cool.

I get it when people ask for an entirely different locale like a jungle or more verdant outdoor area, but kept within the theme of a hive city the maps have had a ton of variety.

edit: ^^ I disagree that it's all a series of dark connected rooms and that's also an equally disingenuous statement to make of DT's map design. If you make a statement like that it's kind of hard to argue that HD2 isnt basically just a randomly generated open world with different textures, with certain missions having the same map every time.

They aren't really fair games to compare anyways aside from the fact they're both 4 player co-op, it's a completely different design ethos

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 9, 2024

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I don't mind going through some of the same areas from different directions or even seeing it from a skybridge as you cross because it gives a sense of scale and that you're actually fighting for the hive city rather than isolated locations. I like a bunch of the set piece areas that missions have but they could do with a few more inbetween rather than the finale.

I think a large part of the map design is also built around the idea of some randomly generated segments like the chaos wastes. The airlocks are clearly for dumping memory on consoles but they can also double as a place where you can exit into any locale or location they have on file.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://new.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/1c2ds7o/dev_blog_hold_your_breath_and_clear_your_mind/

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Just give me some new guns I need a heavy bolter

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So pox gas is gonna work kinda like in the twins mission, where the ankle-deep stuff is fine and then it rises.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"the hive city is dynamic" ok

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

hell yeah we're finally getting Sefoni on comms for a mission. Who on the Mourningstar actually let a psyker on comms? Who knows? Also more completely legitimate businessman Krall paired with her sounds like an odd pairing.

The tox bomber sounds interesting, as does the new pox gas modifier, especially since it's going to be for specific maps and Fatshark put some effort into it (the modifier not the bomber).

That + new penance stuff is gonna be fun!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnyIdRfgdmo

Update trailer drop.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

And it's scheduled to come out tomorrow! :toot:

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Holy poo poo that's faster than I thought.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I was ready to be excited, but let me tell you a trailer for new penances and a set of skins is pretty hilarious. And a new dude who throws new bombs, I'll give them that.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I am prepared to huff fart gas for the emperor

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

I am prepared to huff fart gas for the emperor

What do you think has been in the medkits the whole time?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

It's live. Patch notes here:

https://www.playdarktide.com/news/path-of-redemption-live-now

Worth reading. A bunch of little tweaks, and some info about the puzzles, and changed up the final scanning/fight section in Hab Dreyko.

Edit: and FINALLY, some of the mission types were changed so there are now multiple investigation and repair missions.

quote:

- Excise Vault Spireside-13 changed from Raid to Investigation.
- Ascension Riser 31 changed from Raid to Strike.
- Smelter Complex HL-17-36 from Strike to Repair.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 16, 2024

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

I was ready to be excited, but let me tell you a trailer for new penances and a set of skins is pretty hilarious. And a new dude who throws new bombs, I'll give them that.
Yeah, I was also a bit whelmed by the trailer and was hoping for a bit more new bits of gameplay.
Who is ready for the nerfs?

quote:

‘Feel No Pain’

Stacks will now be removed upon taking any kind of damage, and not only when taking Health damage.
Added a 1s grace period after a Stack is removed, where additional Stacks cannot be lost.
Reduced the Stacks recharge cooldown from 6s to 3s.
Changed the Toughness Damage Reduction bonus from being additive to multiplicative.
Dev note: This means that the bonus will have diminishing returns when combined with other Toughness Damage Reduction effects.
‘The Best Defence’

Toughness replenished: from 25% to 20%.
'Smash ‘Em!’

Toughness replenished: from 25% to 20%.

quote:

Veteran
‘Scavenger’ & ‘Survivalist’

Added a 5s Cooldown.

Everyone's ammo with a veteran on the team is going to be absolutely gutted by that change and poxhounds is no longer a ammo refill modifier.

quote:

Increased stagger threshold for Crushers, Bulwarks, Plague Ogryns and Chaos Spawns.
Probably means Ogyn can't slap stunlock them anymore.

quote:

Made Scab/Dreg Ragers combo attacks dodgeable, reduced stun from attacks
Dev note: This was done to make Ragers a bit more interesting to engage with in melee.

quote:

Bulwarks

Added a slightly faster light stagger animation.
Removed possibility to spawn big packs of Bulwarks as patrols, reduced amount that can spawn simultaneously as roamers.
Removed the “force field” in front of Bulwarks that allowed them to block hits/shots that didn’t look like they would be blocked by their shield.
Increased health by 33%, and set lower stagger resistance during attack animations.

And something major hidden way, way down at the bottom of other fixes:

quote:

Removed player stuns from normal enemy ranged hits and Toughness break.
Lowered the toughness break grace damage reduction applied to players, especially on higher difficulties.
Dev note: Toughness break grace is a brief damage reduction for attacks that occur after Toughness breaks; this value has been lowered a bit to make ranged damage more dangerous.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/1c5gml2/cute_ogre_head/

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Hab Dreyko has a different finale instead of scanning. Habs have less clutter in them as well, and the "gently caress you" Daemonhost spawn after the second airlock was moved to give a little room to maneuver.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Oh man, that's one hell of a Scavenger nerf. Probably warranted since the gameplay impact that one aura had was immense on Auric missions. There are going to be some unhappy Gunluggers out there though

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Magitek posted:

Oh man, that's one hell of a Scavenger nerf. Probably warranted since the gameplay impact that one aura had was immense on Auric missions. There are going to be some unhappy Gunluggers out there though

It stinks, imo!

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Fyi, you can speed up the process of accepting the penance rewards by swapping to the Penances tab and just clicking on the shiny tagged icons vs. clicking on everything one at a time from the Highlights screen.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm sure it's just people coming back from long absences to check out the update but the pubstove feels *meek as poo poo* right now. I need a voice bind that says "press forward, you dumb assholes!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

drat I hated fighting these guys in Borderlands 2.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Anyone understand what you're supposed to do in the new Hab Dreyko minigame? I get that one of the dots goes white but then I had no idea what to do after the first one, didn't seem like activating the other dots did anything, but maybe I missed the correct one.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
holy crap I have so many rewards to go through lol

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Diephoon posted:

Anyone understand what you're supposed to do in the new Hab Dreyko minigame? I get that one of the dots goes white but then I had no idea what to do after the first one, didn't seem like activating the other dots did anything, but maybe I missed the correct one.

It's one of those "hit these in the right order" puzzles. So if the dot is red, you picked wrong. If it's green, you picked right. Figure out the order to chain all 5 green.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's one of those "hit these in the right order" puzzles. So if the dot is red, you picked wrong. If it's green, you picked right. Figure out the order to chain all 5 green.

Not exactly selling it

I played an auric damnation run with the gas hazard. Man, what a great way to stop the momentum of a run is to have everyone sit and wait until the gas subsides

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Not exactly selling it

I played an auric damnation run with the gas hazard. Man, what a great way to stop the momentum of a run is to have everyone sit and wait until the gas subsides

There should be an alternate path wherever the gas blocks. The devs have said they specifically chose those locations for the gas.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

the new update is great. The new penances are all not too bad, the old penances that got updated save me a bunch of time and effort AND the new puzzles to find are actually neat little things to do.

The Hab Dreyko finale is even more fun now too!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Did they gently caress the FNP shield ogryn

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I'm at work and can't get to my PC to check the stats, but unless I misread it from a quick glance earlier, the loyalist 6th armor sets require 4,500 penance points, as the final reward on the penance scale.

I wonder if it would require a player to complete every single penance in the game to get to that level, or if there's a little wiggle room.

They look cool and power to anyone who earns them, but I know I don't have enough free time (or skill/luck) to knock out every single penance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ZeusCannon posted:

Did they gently caress the FNP shield ogryn

I haven't tested it yet but it seems like a reasonable nerf, FNP was pretty braindead of a carry combo'd with the heavy attack toughness regen stuff. More dyanamic and requires actively managing with pushes instead of unga bunga tee hee crusher tickled me