Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To be fair I don't think a credit necessarily means that Matt Ward is actively involved with the project, just that they're crediting source material Ward wrote which informs the game setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Matthew Ward is quoted in that article several times, talking about writing the characters. :shrug:

Maybe he was just never an army book kind of writer.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Arc Hammer posted:

To be fair I don't think a credit necessarily means that Matt Ward is actively involved with the project, just that they're crediting source material Ward wrote which informs the game setting.
There was someone called Matthew Ward on one of the Fatshark streams, I think he was narrating it. I assume that was the Matt Ward, our spiritual liege.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
"We said we had a Matt Ward, not the Matt Ward!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zephro posted:

There was someone called Matthew Ward on one of the Fatshark streams, I think he was narrating it. I assume that was the Matt Ward, our spiritual liege.

Well looks I'm wrong, then. I really haven't been paying much attention to Darktide's media side, I heard Abnett was involved and that was it.

As long as the 5th and 6th edition Ultramarines don't show up Ward can stay. If he's quiet.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

dmboogie posted:

okay i'm confused because i looked at the full credited list of voice actors in darktide and zero of them were in vermintide 2???

Yeah, I don't know if that list is completely accurate. You're telling me that the first voice in this video isn't Bardin's voice actor David Rintoul? That's one hell of an impression if so.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah if they're not the VT2 actors (which seems to be confirmed on their discord?) then they're doing drat good impressions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZij8nx4lx4

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Thirsty Dog posted:

The Ciaphas Cain novels by Sandy Mitchell, although he has a formula and sticks to it religiously

This is every Ciaphas Cain novel

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I went looking and while there is no verification of the original U5 VAs, I did find this reddit post by Fatshark Aqshy (community manager type):

"We haven't released a full cast of every voice in the game except for what you've seen so far, just throwing that out there. Keep your ears open for little treats and such during launch and beyond."

If I were making a wager, I'd say they're being coy about it for hype purposes. At least that seems more likely than just not having any of those VAs back when they are universally beloved by the die-hard playerbase, and paying other VAs to mimic them for some reason.

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 10, 2022

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Saltzpyre's voice would be perfect for a recurring villain, come to think of it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just by ear, I thought the guard commander who briefs you is Kruber.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They are doing unbelievably good impressions of the original actors if that’s the case

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Missing the ubiquitous "if only I had known then what would happen i would not have done this! <end chapter>"

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Yeaaaah, Cain is good for two, maybe three books and then it gets even more tedious than the reintroduction of every individual Ghost in each Gaunt book.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

You love that slop. Don’t lie to yourself. Jurgen rules.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So looking up Jurgen and it seems he's pretty much Baldrick?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mordja posted:

Jurgen is kinda like Series One Baldrick with a bit of Jeeves. He's not as hopelessly incompetent as Series 3 or 4 Baldrick.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Mordja posted:

Pretty much, though he's got a good dash of Fraser's "McAuslan" character, who I think is explicitly considering something like "Britain's most repulsive soldier" etc. and other cleanliness gags.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Jurgen is also one of the very few humans who are ‘blanks’, you know, the same type of person Culexus assassins (a.k.a the living nightmare of any Psyker, demon or Eldar Farseer) are made of, someone who literally has no soul and a black hole for psykers except in a smelly baldrick package.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Your mileage my vary, but I found one of the Straken novels very entertaining as most of it was some variation of "Straken saw one of his comrades explode into a fountain of gore. Enraged, he removed an ork's entire skeleton with his Devil's Claw. Straken saw one of his men catch fire and turn inside-out..." repeated for 3 chapters straight.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Listening to the first Krieg novel. It's really stupid, so I'm very happy with it.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I have absolutely devoured like 90% of the WH40K slop out there and I have no shame about it. Some (a lot) of it’s real bad but the recommendations for the “good” stuff over the last page or so track.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

To new gaunt readers, if you don't like the first omnibus (I think three books?) It gets real good after that. Book four is when I think the series really starts earning its keep and it rapidly escalates to Very Good Military Fiction. And imo while the first three novels are the weakest, they aren't even BAD, just not as good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Everyone shits on Ghostmaker for whatever reason. It's good and it has Dreadnought vs Guardsman duel.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ghostmaker is kind of jarring to go from Abnett’s writing style of pretty good flow (and very sudden endings) to what is effectively a clip show in book form and then back. I think it’s fine, ultimately and gives some good background on the primary Ghosts but it just feels needlessly placed.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Isn’t Ghostmaker just a collection of older short stories?

Maybe a question better suited for the book barn thread but hail chaos I guess.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
World trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Z53bk4lvc

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That Inquisitor looks kinda like Mom from Futurama

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

The Warp translation was horrifying. :suspense:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

The Warp translation was horrifying. :suspense:
Sure was! They did a great job.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Well, 2 years later and we finally know what happened to those 4 vets from the announcement trailer I guess.

And I suppose Spawn coming back as a boss monster makes sense. :omnom:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Incredible trailer.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hell yes that trailer definitely tells me they have some good stuff in store story wise. My hype levels are really going bananas! Love grandma inquisitor!

Also god drat they really nailed how horrible warp travel is

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

Hell yes that trailer definitely tells me they have some good stuff in store story wise. My hype levels are really going bananas! Love grandma inquisitor!

Also god drat they really nailed how horrible warp travel is

That's the ship's captain/Grandma Brahms, not the Inquisitor.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

That trailer was great. I already decided, despite how bad of an idea it is, that I'm preordering. Probably early next week. I will proudly serve this Empra fellow as happy Ogryn boy.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hey kids, you wanna see some unhinged poo poo?

https://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/i-am-a-toxic-player-no-score-screen-will-make-things-worse/54964

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
I don't think we've seen anything regarding the Inquisitor heading the operation.

I'll bet you five bucks when we do hear from him he'll be voiced by Timothy Bentinick (Saltzpyre's voice actor). Also as per tradition, it will be a total coin-flip as to whether-or-not he's actually a servant of Chaos doing some chessmaster plays.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sounds like the better, easier solution for everyone involved is to specifically ban this guy from ever playing darktide

Orv
May 4, 2011
You’d think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Implement a score screen that tracks useless, unhelpful stats: How many times each player opened a door; Total number of melee swings; Most time spent in the air.