Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Inside Out Mom posted:

Hey gang.

Popping in because I love this game but I'm having a bit of a tech issue. If this is the wrong place to post this let me know.

I got my son this game recently and we've been enjoying it so far, but we ran into an issue with the network.

What happens is we'll be going along, no problems, then out of nowhere one of us starts having weird stuff happen. For example melee or ranges hits not registering, enemies running in place or phasing through walls. It'll do that for a few seconds (10-30ish) then one of both of us get booted out of the session.

This has happened in other games like Risk of Rain 2, but only when both of us are playing. During the week when it's just me I have no issues for hours.

Does anyone have any idea whats up? I know a little about networking but aside from basic stuff I'm lost.

An example of what we're seeing sometimes:

https://twitch.tv/videos/2092600715

https://twitch.tv/videos/2099748897

I'm not familiar with networking but just to check, y'all aren't sharing the game via family share on steam or anything, you're using a separate license each regardless of the platform?

Have you checked your network speeds or searched google for any similar issues? Is it giving you or your son an error code when it boots you out of a game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sounds very much like packetloss. Do a continuous ping from the machine to your router/default gateway and another continuous ping to something on the Internet (like 1.1.1.1). Tab over to that when the issues start and you'll certainly see dropped packets. The question will be is it just the Internet ping or is it both. If it's just the Internet, that's on your ISP. If it's both, you're probably using wireless and your signal is poor or getting interference at times.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
It could potentially be your modem. A few years ago I was having a similar issue in several games, and replacing my aging modem remedied it

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Evil Kit posted:

I'm not familiar with networking but just to check, y'all aren't sharing the game via family share on steam or anything, you're using a separate license each regardless of the platform?

Have you checked your network speeds or searched google for any similar issues? Is it giving you or your son an error code when it boots you out of a game?

Did some googling the other day and there was a bit about two computers sharing an external ip address, but I couldn't understand how to fix it.

No, we each have our own copy. We share some games but not these two specifically.

Network speeds should be ok. Last test was 300up/300down Mbps

And no error codes that i remember, just kicked back to the lobby.

Internet Explorer posted:

Sounds very much like packetloss. Do a continuous ping from the machine to your router/default gateway and another continuous ping to something on the Internet (like 1.1.1.1). Tab over to that when the issues start and you'll certainly see dropped packets. The question will be is it just the Internet ping or is it both. If it's just the Internet, that's on your ISP. If it's both, you're probably using wireless and your signal is poor or getting interference at times.

Will give this a shot after work. We're both hardwired to the router.

Magitek posted:

It could potentially be your modem. A few years ago I was having a similar issue in several games, and replacing my aging modem remedied it

Man I hope not. Any was to test that? Maybe do a reboot?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Inside Out Mom posted:

Man I hope not. Any was to test that? Maybe do a reboot?

At that point I'd head over to the home networking thread for more specialized goons.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

.Z. posted:

At that point I'd head over to the home networking thread for more specialized goons.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319

Right on. Thank you for the link!

I look forward to diving in with you all once we get this figured out.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

Inside Out Mom posted:

Did some googling the other day and there was a bit about two computers sharing an external ip address, but I couldn't understand how to fix it.

You could separate the PCs external IPs by running a VPN on one of them. I game with my VPN on and don't see any latency problems, but I also live near the city with my VPN servers.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Are you playing in your local region?

I live in Japan, but I usually play with US friends in their server region. During periods of high latency between regions, I sometimes experience the same stuttering/lag.

Similarly, when my US friends play games hosted by the Pacific region server, they occasionally experience the same issue, while I have a smooth connection.

I realize that's a shot in the dark, because unless you've manually changed your server (on the in-game mission map), you and your son will probably be in your home server region by default.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Arc Light posted:

Are you playing in your local region?

I live in Japan, but I usually play with US friends in their server region. During periods of high latency between regions, I sometimes experience the same stuttering/lag.

Similarly, when my US friends play games hosted by the Pacific region server, they occasionally experience the same issue, while I have a smooth connection.

I realize that's a shot in the dark, because unless you've manually changed your server (on the in-game mission map), you and your son will probably be in your home server region by default.

We haven't changed regions or anything. I'll verify it's defaulted to the proper region tonight though.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

And fwiw if you have an old modem and high up/down speeds you may want to check what the modem/router is rated for. If your modem can only handle x amount of up/down and you're paying for a much higher y amount of up/down, all you're getting is that x amount.

Upgraded myself somewhat recently after my old modem died and it was night and day for the difference, I'd actually been choking my speed by like 100mb cause of the old modem and not realized!

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Is warp nexus IV just rare as gently caress or what?

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Cretin90 posted:

Is warp nexus IV just rare as gently caress or what?

The rank 4 blessings are much more common when going from purple to orange than from green to blue. Depending on your risk tolerance you can also reroll the blue blessing into an existing rank 4 blessing you have since the orange blessing won't roll into one already on the weapon. Force staves only have about 6 blessings per staff type at rank 4 which is easier to chase than the weapons that have 9 or 10.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

40 Proof Listerine posted:

The rank 4 blessings are much more common when going from purple to orange than from green to blue. Depending on your risk tolerance you can also reroll the blue blessing into an existing rank 4 blessing you have since the orange blessing won't roll into one already on the weapon. Force staves only have about 6 blessings per staff type at rank 4 which is easier to chase than the weapons that have 9 or 10.

Yea this is the approach I'm already taking, I guess I'm just having not great luck combined with not grinding hard enough. I would estimate I am 0 for 15 on trauma, voidstrike, and surge staves, which is to say across all the times I've upgraded those staves to orange, I've never gotten warp nexus IV on any of them. Unfortunate as I like all of them and would be happy with warp IV on any of those particular staff types.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
My ping strategy is pinging far away enemies I can't shoot myself and a LOOK WHAT I FOUND for bulwark/crusher/rager hordes.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Cretin90 posted:

Yea this is the approach I'm already taking, I guess I'm just having not great luck combined with not grinding hard enough. I would estimate I am 0 for 15 on trauma, voidstrike, and surge staves, which is to say across all the times I've upgraded those staves to orange, I've never gotten warp nexus IV on any of them. Unfortunate as I like all of them and would be happy with warp IV on any of those particular staff types.

It's just RNG. Good luck in doing it, you'll get it eventually.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Evil Kit posted:

It's just RNG. Good luck in doing it, you'll get it eventually.

Or we might get a better way to acquire blessings/weapons without RNG grind in the next updates, which Fatshark promised would start happening in March...

So uh, I guess they still have a day or two if they want to meet their timeline

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Yeah, and I suppose it gives me something to work toward. I just leveled my second psyker to 30 so I have double the Melk odds each day for decent poo poo. Also I have a god roll (for me) Zarona that consecrated juuuust right so that’ll hold me over.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Cretin90 posted:

Yeah, and I suppose it gives me something to work toward. I just leveled my second psyker to 30 so I have double the Melk odds each day for decent poo poo. Also I have a god roll (for me) Zarona that consecrated juuuust right so that’ll hold me over.

drat, that's a lot of psyking.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Has this actually been datamined/tested? I’m always wondering if it’s patterns we’re seeing in the RNG noise lol

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

Has this actually been datamined/tested? I’m always wondering if it’s patterns we’re seeing in the RNG noise lol

Yeah there's no odds or hard numbers on the gun gacha so it's all grasping by straws at feel over lots of plasteel lit on fire, haha.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
The biggest factor in finding a particular blessing is the total number of blessings that could possibly appear on a weapon. Getting Warp Nexus on a Surge or Purgatus should be cake since there's only 3 different possibilities for each tier, but Voidstrike and Trauma are drastically harder since you can get up to 7. Force swords are possibly the worst, with 11 possibilities per tier.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Might be a good idea to hold off on aggressively pursuing gear at this point in time, since they recently announced that they're going to be overhauling the crafting system

Then again, who knows how long that's going to take

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 31, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm happy enough with what I've got that I'm just stockpiling resources in preparation for whatever bullshit comes next

Yeah Warp IV would be great but III gets me by fine.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Yeah Warp IV would be great but III gets me by fine.

I think that's the healthy attitude for RNG stuff. The only difference I've ever really noticed on blessings while playing is Power Cycler on the sword as a veteran because it significantly alters the way I play, everything else just feels so minor between tiers

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Speaking of healthy attitudes, I'm removing my scoreboard mod. I spend too much time looking at it and comparing my score, and confirming what I already know. (Many players are bad.)

E: Changed my mind, I just removed the calculated scores.

Cretin90 fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 31, 2024

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Scoreboard mod is fine so long as you aren't the type to start using it to beat other players over the head with it because numba big and they numba smol.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Cretin90 posted:

Speaking of healthy attitudes, I'm removing my scoreboard mod. I spend too much time looking at it and comparing my score, and confirming what I already know. (Many players are bad.)

E: Changed my mind, I just removed the calculated scores.

I like this scoreboard plugin to get a better sense of performance and how effective builds/weapons are, especially if I'm leaning into crits/bleeds/burning whatever. Whoever collects the most plasteel is always the real winner regardless of whatever the rest of the scoreboard says :colbert:

https://www.nexusmods.com/warhammer40kdarktide/mods/241?tab=posts

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
That is also the one I use since I mainly just want to see how I am doing and how it's handling compared to another good build being piloted well.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah I use that one too because it breaks down crit and weakspot rates. I probably wouldn't use a scoreboard at all if I didn't typically play with a static group of friends though.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
How would you guys change this strangely good mission reward? This is on my crit assail psyker. I'm having an absolute loving blast using it literally as is (chain killing maulers with block push + max haymaker stacks is hilarious). I'm aware haymaker is a "bad" choice according to my psyker bible (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2917274959). I'm thinking sprint efficiency > Carapace, Flesh Tearer > Uncanny Strike IV? I know the obvious choice would be haymaker to uncanny strike but ... I'm actually really enjoying spamming the wide heavies on hordes.

E. Crit chance might be good too.

I'm currently using assail for horde clearing and the knife for supplementary, and a carapace-specced Zarona for big bads (80 dmg/77 penetration, 25 carapace/25 maniacs, surgical IV/hand-cannon IV).

Cretin90 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 31, 2024

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Cretin90 posted:

How would you guys change this strangely good mission reward? This is on my crit assail psyker. I'm having an absolute loving blast using it literally as is (chain killing maulers with block push + max haymaker stacks is hilarious). I'm aware haymaker is a "bad" choice according to my psyker bible (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2917274959). I'm thinking sprint efficiency > Carapace, Flesh Tearer > Uncanny Strike IV? I know the obvious choice would be haymaker to uncanny strike but ... I'm actually really enjoying spamming the wide heavies on hordes.

I'm currently using assail for horde clearing and the knife for supplementary, and a carapace-specced Zarona for big bads (80 dmg/77 penetration, 25 carapace/25 maniacs, surgical IV/hand-cannon IV).

Haymaker / Flesh Tearer is pretty great as is on a Mk6, no changes needed. Pick 2 of 4 of Weak Spot Damage, Flak Damage, Crit Chance, and Elite Damage on the perks and you'll be good to go.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
got vote kicked for the first time because I asked people to drop their medkits because they were dying. literally the sentence "drop medkits" after I ressed someone. pffffffffffffffffffffff

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Cretin90 posted:

I'd change flesh tearer if anything imo, but you could also just change both perks, that's a pretty nice emprah gift, probably the best I've ever seen.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
I agree with these suggestions, I was under the impression one of the blessings really needed to be uncanny strike but tbh.. doesn't feel like it needs it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Cretin90 posted:

I agree with these suggestions, I was under the impression one of the blessings really needed to be uncanny strike but tbh.. doesn't feel like it needs it.

take weakspot damage off. While arguably the knife is probably one of the few weapons that can actually make use of it with insanely high finesse damage, that's more of a "it could be worse" argument than being actually good.

Usual thread PSA that +crit damage and +weakspot damage perks only modify the bonus damage you do from getting either a crit or weakspot hit, not the base damage the weapon gets. They're garbage. Don't use them if you have the option.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Evil Kit posted:

take weakspot damage off. While arguably the knife is probably one of the few weapons that can actually make use of it with insanely high finesse damage, that's more of a "it could be worse" argument than being actually good.

Usual thread PSA that +crit damage and +weakspot damage perks only modify the bonus damage you do from getting either a crit or weakspot hit, not the base damage the weapon gets. They're garbage. Don't use them if you have the option.

What would you use instead? The weakspot damage bonus is pretty massive.

E: also, I considered switching to the crit aura and it is infuriating that the toughness damage reduction scaling with peril is gated behind the other two auras. I can’t forgo both that AND psykinetic’s aura.

Cretin90 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 31, 2024

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Cretin90 posted:

What would you use instead? The weakspot damage bonus is pretty massive.

E: also, I considered switching to the crit aura and it is infuriating that the toughness damage reduction scaling with peril is gated behind the other two auras. I can’t forgo both that AND psykinetic’s aura.

that is pretty large! I dunno, the issue is you aren't always going to be hitting the head 100% of the time, and could get a damage bonus vs a problem enemy that applies to all the damage 100% of the time you're hitting it. If you like it and want to give it a try, go for it. Maybe you'll discover that it's good, actually and can post about it here.

Also tbh even though it's not active combat you could go try it out in the psykanium and see how different damage bonuses match up.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
I’m happy with it but I’ll give it a try with flak or something. It’s very up close and personal for combat which is an adjustment for me compared to a force sword lol.

Question, how do weapon perks and blessings interact with blitzes (like assail)? I’m assuming the perks don’t interact but if I were to proc Hand-Cannon on my revolver and rapidly swap to assail, will my assail benefit from the 60% rending for however long that buff lasts?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Cretin90 posted:

I’m happy with it but I’ll give it a try with flak or something. It’s very up close and personal for combat which is an adjustment for me compared to a force sword lol.

Question, how do weapon perks and blessings interact with blitzes (like assail)? I’m assuming the perks don’t interact but if I were to proc Hand-Cannon on my revolver and rapidly swap to assail, will my assail benefit from the 60% rending for however long that buff lasts?

blessings/perks on a weapon are only intended to affect the weapon. The caveat being if you have a weapon with +power blessings, that +power affects anything you do while the weapon is out and the blessing is active. As soon as the weapon is not active, you lose any +power from it. :fatshark: does mean that unintended things can slip through like handcannon affecting melee weapons as well etc.

Part of the reason gunyker worked before the overhaul was because pinning fire let you boost your warpfire damage which you could spread via shout. +Power also affects things like bleeding etc which is why the slapback works so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I'm slowly cycling through weapons and the crusher kicks rear end. The push attack uppercut is a great minigame for trying to get the headshot to punt a straggler straight up into the air.