Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

KazigluBey posted:

Can anyone tell me if Darktide is doing the VT2 thing again where you have an ilvl (power level, or whatever they call it now) that determines the most important characteristics of weapons, and presumably a cap on the ilvl you want to hit before you worry about rolling or rerolling traits and secondary stats?

Basically I'm asking if it's more or less the same item progression from VT2 or not.

From the test it seems that as you level up you get access to higher rarity gear from the shop.

Not from the test is what the crafting/customization system will be like, still mostly an unknown, although the presumable material you use to change your gear around did drop in the levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Incredible trailer.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Veteran and Zealot get the bolter it seems, which is cool.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwuL58xeyv0&t=173s

Also timestamp for a short clip of plasma gameplay, sans sound.

Just gibs everything in one shot, looks cool.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

I think anyone trying to do ranged only is going to have a bad time, but the Zealot specifically seems to be a more melee focused character.

Veteran can fight in melee fine, but most of its talents benefit ranged gameplay, whereas most of zealots benefit the melee, so while both are stuck in close the zealot is going to be doing slightly more crit, slightly more damage, and recharging their armor faster than the veteran.

But it would be a mistake to say the veteran is helpless or weak in melee, they still get access to most of the same weapons.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also in the beta you can just be grenade veteran which is both lots of fun and very good at keeping hordes and elites down before they even get to melee you.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

i was kind of impressed at the apparent class population proportions in the closed beta weekend, i would've thunk everyone and their grandma would want to be head exploding space wizards but seemed to be the least picked class, if it wasn't the zealot, a screaming angry berserker with a big axe. everyone just wanted to be shootgun soldierguy

edit: or an ogryn but that makes sense everyone loves a giant bashy boy

People love the guard and have been waiting years to rp guardsmen in a good video game.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

One of my cleanest runs too was all guardsmen, its just that guard is designed to be the entry class for the game appealing to new players and therefore a lot of new people will play guard. Theyre an effective class that works well in good hands.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

We get autocannons, bolters, force swords, power swords, and plasma guns, 4 humans could totally kill plague marines with the gear you have access to.

Even in the fiction where marines are stronger regular humans take them down all the time.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

S.J. posted:

Okay? Nobody here is arguing against that? FatShark made the decision and I think it'd be a good thing to stick to so they can come up with more new and unique stuff like what we've already seen out of a bunch of the special enemies. There's nothing intrinsically special or unique about plague marines, they're just tougher and killier and there's already plenty of tough, killy enemies in the game, and there are already plenty of games where you can fight against chaos marines.

Even here, whenever marines as a boss get brought up people talk about how impossible to kill they are for humans, tis a lie.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

There is absolutely going to be a chaos space marine as a major boss no way they wouldn’t have one

Still holding out hope there's a big setpiece in some mission finale where one marine drops in to aid you, was one of those things they talked about in early interviews that npcs might play a larger role mid mission instead of just the story.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

As the game went on Warriors got pretty trivial unless you were fighting like 3 at a time too. Lots of ways to just one shot them, maulers in darktide are a bit tougher I feel like.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Orv posted:

The trick to Maulers is that they have super armored heads which was tripping me up at first since you just wanna headsmash Chaos Warriors. Horizontal attacks on the less/unarmored torso of Maulers is way faster.

I ended up really liking the chainsword for them, because the special attack stunlock disables enemies for the rest of the team to attack, and mine had guaranteed crit on it too. Maulers only took a double tap of that to take down.

And they said they're buffing the chainswords too.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ChickenHeart posted:

Depending on who's in the writing booth for the day, the champions of Nurgle can either be the doom of entire planets, or huge chumps who fall for 3-stooges-esque shenanigans:

I think there's a bit of a balance where Marines are baseline superhuman, (incredibly quick reaction times, super strength, agility, speed, accuracy, disgusting resiliency for the nurgle-aligned etc) but against some kinds of weapons the benefits of strength and armor matter way less, and a lot of the benefits go away if you actually manage to get the drop on one sight unseen. That and these benefits will still start to whittle down over time as an extended engagement where multiple people are pouring on fire or stabbing with power weapons is going on, ie the exact scenario of a boss fight. Marines benefit the most from quick decisive engagements where they themselves have the benefit of surprise or terror, because even enough lasguns will bring them down eventually, and high powered longlas fire can take off their heads entirely the same way lascannons or plasma can.

That and chaos guys tend to have a bit of the old arrogance, (why wouldn't they) which can work against them.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 16, 2022

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Senethro posted:

It depends what genre you're in. One marine loose in your ship could easily fill in for a survival horror mega boss like Alien:Isolation, or die at a 1:2 ratio vs other light infantry in an RTS.

I'd say more what weapons you have availlable to you, marine loose in a ship where all you have is stubbers and some lasguns is a real horror show, but in all 3 of games, tabletop, and lore, plasma guns are going to chew through marines like butter, and you don't have to survive fighting a superhuman in close combat like you would to get the same benefit from power weapons.

How effective lasguns and bolters are varies, but they really haven't written stuff where marines shrug off plasma and melta guns like they're nothing, that I've read.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 16, 2022

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kobal2 posted:

I mean, in the Space Marine game, which is not *that* old (certainly not 80s) 3 (three) Ultramarines are more or less enough to curbstomp an Ork waaagh and a Chaos Marine SURPRISE CHAOS GATE at the same time. So there is that.

In space marine youre just one team of dozens, the ultramarines send a strike cruiser to the planet, and then by the time of the chaos invasion get a bunch more reinforcements.

Now in the moment to moment youre still definitely on the high scale of epic competency but they do show that more than just you and the boys are turning back the tide.

That said if you play on the higher difficulties you are surprisngly fragile, its a fun challenge.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 16, 2022

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Seems like they changed the final tier of skills so that they do like 3 things at once, really changing how you play the class and use your ability, interesting.

before:

after:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm running on an old rx 480 and get really solid performance at 1080p medium by turning on the supersampling 2 engine thing, it works well and makes the game look good at quality settings, framerate solid.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Orv posted:

Can confirm that hellguns are in, just did a run with a dude with one. Hilariously good.

Wait, like the proper backpack charged one the enemy gunners get?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Orv posted:

Handheld so I dunno if that's some special forge world pattern or whatever but it was a full auto high RoF lasrifle.

Oh thats the elysian drop troop pattern lasgun, its full auto. Glad to hear it rules, but my hopes got elevated even higher for a second.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Wait, there's only 5 maps? That... might get old quickly.

5 zones, or themes for the map areas

13 missions on the 30th

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The game models the warp consuming you as identical to sienna exploding from overstress, but it would probably be hilarious and more in the vibe to have it drop a chaos spawn on you if you go over the threshold.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ichabod Tane posted:

Does the Veteran have any other voices other than some British guy? Psyker having a German accent is alluring

I like zimbabwean union agitator psyker more.

Man of the people.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 18, 2022

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Its a bit of a shame that veterans 3 voices are model officer, cynical survivor, and angrier cynical survivor (cadian model), i think the other classees have a wider variety in attitude between the personalities.

That said cuthroats voice actor( both) really gives it their all, so theyre entertaining.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 18, 2022

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Using the smaller catachan knife is pretty fun, you lose some easier horde clearing but the alt attack is a near instant no startup bop in the nose of anything you're fighting that seems to stun and interrupt attacks and can also kill if you headshot it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

There's a track right near the end of the soundtrack called "The Emperor of Mankind". It rules.

It's a longer and more choral/triumphal arrangement of Imperial Advance, the song from the Sharpshooter trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olqaqM21Dro&t=6188s

Curious if it will be the soundtrack for the finale event similar to skittergates, seems like it could be.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 18, 2022

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah... I tried Veteran earlier and actually found it kinda fun as well, but going back to the playing with randoms thing, I don't like playing a class that relies on other people not bogarting all of the ammo for me to be effective.

Thats the fun part of veteran, you're the least ammo dependent class, starting with a large pool and giving you and your whole team more whenever specials are killed. For autoguns which are very ammo hungry you might run dry, but lasguns hardly ever do for me, especially if you play flexibly and save ammo for fighting elites and playing your proper role as a counter gunner to enemy gun squads, spending the rest of the time in melee.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Got the krieger lasgun and its very cool. It has a very heavy thump firing sound that still has the electric crack underneath, and when you fully charge the shot it makes a little chime play thats very nice to hear as you're exploding heads with it.

Bayonet attack comes out real fast too, makes it usable when defending yourself.

Small note, I think they changed it from the beta where now you end up in the same hub with your party after you finish a mission, which is good.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Honestly by the mid tier I think this game is better than vt2.

I like the pace a lot, and the raw amount of gear and equipment and how different they all are, I like the fusion of ranged and melee. There's a lot going on.

Exploring the ship a bit and theres a bunch of zones I hadn't seen before, like a place that looks like a surgeon or barber, maybe.

There's a lot of little doors that could be expansion content if the game succeeds, but also I think stuff like the huge area the techpriest occupies might still be some kind of crafting system.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The ragtown map is my favorite so far, definitely should be a palliative to anybody afraid of the maps only being the manufactorum from the beta. It's a huge open multi level shanty town with a variety of subojectives, including an interesting multistage finale that has you navigating a large zone.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Catsplosion posted:

This game has reminded me of why I hate pubbies.

Why yes, run off in every direction, avoid damaging the 'boss', avoid doing the objectives, exist to make me suffer.

Fun thing I learned is that the assassination target bosses get their shield absolutely melted in no time at all if everybody just crowds around them and bashes their head in, which makes them very easy finales with friends and they can be very difficult in matchmade games where not everybody knows this.

Also its already been mentioned before but maulers have ultra armored heads and its better to shoot them in the belly, even though it feels wrong.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Pigbottom posted:

I was just watching a youtuber stream the game on twitch and it's pretty painful to watch.
The guy is playing the train station assassination mission. The guy is playing a veteran and simply refusing to switch to melee and then proceeding to get murdered by the hordes that spawn while he tries to plink away at them one by one with the las rifle and raging about it the whole time.

edit: also, as a zealot people keep gobbling up all grenades and I go whole missions without being able to use the super cool grenades they have and it really makes me feel weak compared to veterans.

Need a vet friend with the percent chance everybody gets a grenade on kill talent.

Related to current convo: I honestly have been solo joining a lot and haven't had runs go bad as other people seem to have, like in t2 maybe only 1 out of every 10 runs goes south.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Chainsword sounds and feels better than it did in the beta with its basic attacks, they did buff it a bit. It has better sweeps on its normals and they added a high pitch whine as it cuts through enemies, while still letting you stunlock single targets with the special attack.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TwatHammer posted:

This game is fun as poo poo, poxbursters launching you into orbit is the new best thing. Don't remember them launching you so far in the weekend beta.

https://clips.twitch.tv/CreativeMagnificentRutabagaBabyRage-9ma_reybAZMzLpRm

Had a run where multiple poxbursters got us on one of the rooms thats all narrow bridges over a chasm and they pingponged us between the different bridges, total run ender.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Don't like the braced autogun that much, an AK with high firerate that replaces the ability to zoom with holding the gun steady and getting more controlled rapid fire in close to mid. Its a lot of fun but probably better for zealots as a good midrange utility weapon, for veteran I prefer the more accurate weapons for the good counterfire and elite picking ability.

More of an early game weapon but I thought the atrox tactical ax, the tomahawk looking one, was a lot of fun and very useful. Recommend you try it out if you see one in the market.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 19, 2022

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Tried the braced autogun and still don't like it on vet, although midrange the damage really is incredible.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Orv posted:

Regrettably both Frag Storm and the Psyker AoE on elite brain burst DoT are absolutely terrible.

Weird, feel like being able to put 8 stacks of bleed on a boss the second they appear would be good, can you elaborate?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ah I see, yeah I run with the free grenade every minute perk and it just seems flat out the best perk that tier. Was hoping going all in on grenade perks would be worth it too.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Char posted:

Is it me or is a lot of people overestimating the kills per second capability of the Veteran wrt handling long range threats?

Every time I'm in a mission where there's at least 2 between Zealot and Ogryn, it's a tossup if their loadout can handle ranged threats, and if it's not, whenever we get hailed by a salvo of lasgun fire I'm seeing too often people preferring getting peppered rather than charging in.

Suppression is real and definitely works, I spend a lot of time opening up against patrols and focusing on using my ammo on enemy shooters, when you start killing models in a unit at range the rest of them slow their fire rate down. It's what veteran is best at too, the extra toughness means you're stronger trading at range with shooters than the other classes.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Got the accatran finally and for my word its like the braced autogun but way better. First lasgun where 1 ammo equals one shoot too, it doesn't have the same raw damage output as the braced autogun but it remains near pinpoint accurate at full auto, at long range, and has a huge ammo pool to compensate. It really is the closest thing we get to a hellgun.