Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

It's weird going from deep rock galactic, where everyone is super helpful and teamworky, back to vermintide 2 where people run off, die and rage quit. I think it's the end stat screen which makes people desperate to score as many kills as possible to make numbers go up. Someone said that was gone in Darktide.

I think it has to do with stuff like the level design, movement speed, and pickups being things like potions, healing, and ammunition. Some people will run around looking in every crevice for pickups. Characters all move at the same walking speed. The levels are all (more or less) straight lines.

In DRG, everything you can pick up is something somebody wants or needs, and you supply your own ammo. You can traverse levels relatively quickly and easily to gather each other, and players don't have to worry about the types of special enemies that are in Vermintide. DRG really seems like it was designed to be the least-enraging coop shooter.

Foul Fowl posted:

this might be a really dumb question but does anyone have any idea how well this thing would run on the deck?

e: darktide, that is

Hard to say. The DT beta ran so comically poorly for most people that it's hard to gauge how the final product will run.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Siivola posted:

You have incredibly high hopes of the average FPS player's attention span.

Yeah, there are several tutorials and they're all skippable. I also didn't finish all of them during the beta because it kept CTDing halfway through.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Still have not beat the new VT2 mission. Every time I play it, people spread out during the cog section then ragequit when they get downed alone in the corner nowhere near the objectives.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

big cummers ONLY posted:

The finale feels like 80% of the enemies spawn in the first 20 seconds, then if you survive that and kill the monster it's standard waves. Idk. Three of my pugs have died without lighting a torch, my fourth we ignored the torch and just spent 3 minutes clearing all the loving armor out and then we were able to do the objective with small waves like any other objective setpiece.

I'm also running into a LOT of single-digit level Krubers on Champion difficulty.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

The quality of the voice lines still seems to be there, it just lacks familiar established characters chatting each other up. I'd say it kind of makes sense, since the four players are meant to be a part of a full-scale unit. I'm mostly disappointed because the voice actors really embodied their roles for Vermintide.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Mordja posted:

Isn't literally the most famous 40K book series about a squad of Imperial Guard grunts.

I'd like to try this if it's an audiobook. I asked a friend for a recommendation and he told me to try Helsreach and it was a boring slog of characters introducing themselves for three hours.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Listening to the first Krieg novel. It's really stupid, so I'm very happy with it.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

The only thing I like about the stats screen is rubbing the fact that I lead the team in kills, damage, and revives to the idiots on my teams calling us garbage because they kept going down to plague monks.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Mayflahs

I'll miss that group of idiots in Darktide

I really wanted them to be transplanted into Darktide 1:1 no questions asked but alas

Skittergate portal opens and Bardin slayer-leaps out.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Been messing around with other 40K games to scratch my itch for the next 6 days. Space Marine is still good obviously, but just makes me think of Darktide. Same for Deathwing, but it's less good. Dawn of War 1 and 2 are still classics in their own ways. Dawn of War 3 is still just feels so weirdly... incorrect. I wish I didn't suck so bad at the Battlefleet Gothic games cause they're cool and are a really neat idea. Inquisitor Martyr is okay, but I'm not a fan of the style of optimal play in these types of games. I've heard nothing but glowing things for Mechanicus and Battlesector but I'm not huge on turn-based tactics games.

Darktide is just what I've always wanted. Put me in a unit at the ground level with some teammates and throw the hordes at us.

Also glad that Indypride/Milkandcookies is getting bigger than usual view counts. So much of the other content for Darktide is pretty bad, while he shows off gameplay and talks about features without much bullshit.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

uncalled for! posted:

the constant reloading is what put me off the revolver. fwiw i've seen other people post about the phenomenal reloading animations that take into account how many bullets you had left, but mine always took the same long-rear end time to reload--they'll have fixed it by release, inshallah
the shotgun is incredible. a lot of the guns feel great, but being able to shred anyone at close range and implode their domes from behind cover at long range really made me feel like a powerful space witch

I will only stop playing this game to watch the Jonathan Ferguson reaction video to it.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

The royal armory museum absolutely has a Bolter on display

He was so giddy to do that Aliens video.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Playing VT2 again and then watching Darktide footage let me notice that specials seem to be a bit finer tuned. The thing I hated most about VT2 was probably special enemies like Blightstormers who could ruin runs with bullshit. I just remembered less of that sort of thing in the Darktide beta. I think you could even deflect Pox Hounds' leap attacks if you were blocking.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Kobal2 posted:

You mean like starting a storm from halfway across the map with no possible LOS from/to the squad ? Or just the sheer disruption power of a Blightstormer appearing and immediately loving the whole party over ?

Both and more. Just had a run where a Blightstormer trapped our group in a chokepoint. He just kept throwing us back into his storm without a chance to escape.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I forget, does the net guy drag characters away, or are they frozen in place? Because that could be the key difference between net boy and hook rat.

Pasha posted:

How was the performance in the earlier beta periods? I have a PC that matches the recommended specs, but will those specs run the game well?

Hard to say. It's one of those deals where someone with a 3080 had trouble running it on low while an older build could run it on high, with the latter getting better framerates. Chalk it up to pre-release build issues, I guess.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 13, 2022

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I appreciate having a place to talk about this. Everywhere else I go are people throwing a fit that beta progress won't carry on to full release.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Wow. Way to make a lazpistol actually look like fun to use. Also, the section in the "movement" part of the video where he talks about stuff like hitboxes and more accurate movement sound really, really nice after five+ years of Vermintide's nonsense.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 15, 2022

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Exodee posted:

Is this really that surprising? See also the Mass Effect series, where everyone picked Soldier / default male Shephard when the Vanguard is right there

TBF, Mass Effect kind of handled non-Soldier classes badly when it came to enticing casual players. The cool powers didn't do much against shields or barriers, and you basically had to play a weak version of Gun Man until you could level up to do the fun stuff. Even then, you'd run into enemy types/groups that you couldn't do the fun stuff against. VT2 has its funky subclasses locked behind a level grind, so you can sort of start out with a leg-up in terms of unlocked talents when you can finally choose to play those subclasses.

There's also a social aspect to getting people interested in trying out builds in VT. When I play Vermintide, I can see other players doing crazy stuff with different classes, which would make me want to do crazy stuff with classes too. During the free giveaway, I ran into a newer player streaming the game who saw me melt a Chaos Spawn in a few seconds as Shade, and asked me how players did that sort of thing. So I jumped on voice chat and explained Shade builds and gave him the rundown of subclasses that Saqr has in the OP and how you could maximize them while also giving him tips on how to maximize the Slayer build he was trying and failing to run. You can't really get that in a singleplayer game unless you're going out of your way to find videos/guides instead of just picking the powerful Gun Man in Mass Effect or whatever.

Can't really get enough video content of this game. It's impressive what Fatshark can do with a budget.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 15, 2022

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Finally ready for Darktide:

It's not a tough game to get the achievements for, but Norscannihilation was the worst. Not because of challenge, but every time I'd get to Thanquol, he'd get stuck in a wall and the mission would be uncompletable. I'd try once a year or so with the same results every time.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

The deal with Elf was that people thought they could just be ranged only. So Elf players would pull out the bow, get their asses chewed off by Skavenslaves, then rage quit.

In that regard, I can see the Veteran being the new Elf.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

i did like kerillian's character though, i think a ton of people found her really annoying but her being pissed off at how lovely all her comrades were all the time was endearing, to me

Yeah, I actually liked all of the characters as characters, even Kerillian. I switched on the Vermintalks playlist today for a few minutes, and man if the writers, director, and actors didn't put a lot of effort into the game.

DeathSandwich posted:

That, or they were super try-hards on a quest to collect green circles, typically to the detriment of the people they left in the dust.

They have a really good kit, but they attracted assholes.

Yeah, Kerillian is extremely strong. I like running Shade as a power class and Handmaiden as a Legend/CW class. On my last CW run, I discovered a talent that let me drop items from my inventory on the ground every time I dashed. With my short cooldown and health draughts as my only item, I was able to dash around, pooping healing potions for my team. The only problem is that Waystalker has a low ceiling and Thorn is more open-ended than a lot of other classes.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

field balm posted:

Does the vet get really bad melee weapons or something?

Nah. People are more worried about it being a trap class, like ending up in a VT Champion run with a bad Slayer and a rage-quitting Waystalker.

I played the DT beta and Veteran is fine in melee, but they have the most ranged possibilities of any of the classes, and DT is way more forgiving for ranged combat, and actually encourages it more than VT does. I'm gonna run Veteran because I've wanted to just be a Poor loving Guardsman in a 40K game for the longest time.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

New Nvidia drivers out, Darktide mentioned as a game. Some people during the beta test claimed they got better performance when they rolled back their drivers, so I guess keep that in mind if it's a problem.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

Hooolyyyyy poo poo this game has a really great world building and introductory sequence that hypes you the gently caress up lol

Funny to keep hearing this when VT2's intro was such a buggy, warm fart on release day.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Woof, the performance shouldn't be this bad on a 2080 on lowest settings and 1080p.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 18, 2022

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

GeorgieMordor posted:

I have. I'm using the latest NVIDIA ones -- 526.98.

I have a 2080 as well and this game hates it.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

For anyone else having performance issues, I was struggling to run the game at low settings with a 2080 and a Ryzen 7 2700. Going by some recommendations on Reddit, I turned off Steam Overlay and set the game to dedicated fullscreen and saw a genuinely noticeable improvement to the point where I'm now able to put some stuff at high while keeping a semi-smooth picture.

Reminds me of that weird era in like 2011-2014 where forcing games into fullscreen would turn them from 20fps slideshows with input delay into running perfectly.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Man, for anyone worried about Veteran's focus on ranged power, don't be. Their [F] skill is insanely useful for finding and picking off specials before they get too close.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Going to another class after playing Ogryn for 8 hours feels super weird.
Everything is so big, the ground is so close!

Also, every swing is a headshot.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I did finally get the shotgun and congrats Fatshark, you've made a Doom II/FEAR-level shotgun, drat.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Orv posted:

The rando mind: This room has like forty ranged enemies in it, no cover and is a drop down room, while we have good cover up here before the drop down. Hell yeah let's go.

I didn't know there were RP servers.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

I don't suppose there is a way to change how a character looks after character creation?

Not until the full release, presumably.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

As excited as I am to actually have a lasgun in an fps, the suppression capabilities of autoguns on higher difficulties is real useful. I've had more runs beaten by random enemies with guns than any other enemy.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Encountering one of the rarer, but more noticeable VT pubbies, the ones that melee every loving barrel they come across.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

I think this is only true as a downside of the krieger lasgun, as much as I still like it. Even the base lasgun can get a statroll that shoots about as fast as you can click, then theres the carbine variant that shoots even faster than that, the accatran, etc. Lasguns get larger ammo pools too as their main benefit, an autogun will run dry way faster than a judiciously used lasgun will, even with it taking multiple uses of ammo per shot.

Honestly I prefer the accuracy because blindly using ammo in suppression is okay and all, but if you're killing people with headshots that also suppresses nearby enemies too and is a more permanent solution.

Yeah, not saying I spray and pray, just that certain lasguns haven't been helpful. I also tend to be able to do better with Autoguns when I'm suppressed.

EDIT: Noticing a lot of players treating the Pox Burster beeps like an invitation to come and melee them. Every time I get set up to ambush one, a player inevitably runs in front of my fire and gets blasted.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

You know, traits like these confuse me, what's even the point.
I don't think it even stacks, since traits that do usually have that specified.

I was gonna say that it actually looked awesome until I realized it says when every pellet hits an enemy instead of for every pellet that hits an enemy.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I've run into bugs where the music hasn't worked.

Turning off Steam overlay made the game go from slideshow to fine for me. Anti-cheat may also be causing issues.

Also, this game is a RAM hog unlike any other game I regularly play. It's probably intensive to begin with, but it may have a memory leak issue.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 20, 2022

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Okay, I got my biggest performance boost yet by turning the amount of Worker Threads down to 8. It's an option that you can only change for the Darktide launcher when you first open the game. I no longer have stuttering or large drops of any kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

What cpu do you have

Ryzen 7 2700. The setting was defaulted to 15. I admit I don't know what worker threads are and I don't know anything about CPUs, but this was the most substantial gain of any of the tweaks I've found.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 20, 2022