Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Hey gang.

Popping in because I love this game but I'm having a bit of a tech issue. If this is the wrong place to post this let me know.

I got my son this game recently and we've been enjoying it so far, but we ran into an issue with the network.

What happens is we'll be going along, no problems, then out of nowhere one of us starts having weird stuff happen. For example melee or ranges hits not registering, enemies running in place or phasing through walls. It'll do that for a few seconds (10-30ish) then one of both of us get booted out of the session.

This has happened in other games like Risk of Rain 2, but only when both of us are playing. During the week when it's just me I have no issues for hours.

Does anyone have any idea whats up? I know a little about networking but aside from basic stuff I'm lost.

An example of what we're seeing sometimes:

https://twitch.tv/videos/2092600715

https://twitch.tv/videos/2099748897

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Evil Kit posted:

I'm not familiar with networking but just to check, y'all aren't sharing the game via family share on steam or anything, you're using a separate license each regardless of the platform?

Have you checked your network speeds or searched google for any similar issues? Is it giving you or your son an error code when it boots you out of a game?

Did some googling the other day and there was a bit about two computers sharing an external ip address, but I couldn't understand how to fix it.

No, we each have our own copy. We share some games but not these two specifically.

Network speeds should be ok. Last test was 300up/300down Mbps

And no error codes that i remember, just kicked back to the lobby.

Internet Explorer posted:

Sounds very much like packetloss. Do a continuous ping from the machine to your router/default gateway and another continuous ping to something on the Internet (like 1.1.1.1). Tab over to that when the issues start and you'll certainly see dropped packets. The question will be is it just the Internet ping or is it both. If it's just the Internet, that's on your ISP. If it's both, you're probably using wireless and your signal is poor or getting interference at times.

Will give this a shot after work. We're both hardwired to the router.

Magitek posted:

It could potentially be your modem. A few years ago I was having a similar issue in several games, and replacing my aging modem remedied it

Man I hope not. Any was to test that? Maybe do a reboot?

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

.Z. posted:

At that point I'd head over to the home networking thread for more specialized goons.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319

Right on. Thank you for the link!

I look forward to diving in with you all once we get this figured out.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Arc Light posted:

Are you playing in your local region?

I live in Japan, but I usually play with US friends in their server region. During periods of high latency between regions, I sometimes experience the same stuttering/lag.

Similarly, when my US friends play games hosted by the Pacific region server, they occasionally experience the same issue, while I have a smooth connection.

I realize that's a shot in the dark, because unless you've manually changed your server (on the in-game mission map), you and your son will probably be in your home server region by default.

We haven't changed regions or anything. I'll verify it's defaulted to the proper region tonight though.