Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Haven't played V2 in a while. Is there any 'must get' DLC in particular, while the lot is on sale?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

DeathSandwich posted:

Return to Ubersreik, Drachenfels are both solid. Get any class that interests you though elf has probably one of the single best quality of life weapons in the javelin for non-sister

Avoid winds of magic. Beastmen are loving awful.

Isn't Drachenfels from the first game?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Orv posted:

You go back in one of the DLCs.

Okay, I see it now. Not sure it it was part of the original game but I do not see a DLC for it.

Anyway, got Ubersreik and Bogenhafen for now. I will see if I want more before I get Winds of Magic but, uh, *looks at user reviews* woof

Played as Saltzpyre for a bit and ended up liking him more than I expected, and I like being able to knock people back with the power of my ego and self-importance. I may stick with him, take a look at his other alt careers.

Speaking of sticking with, how do chests and loot work? Is it like some chance at an incremental upgrade up to a certain cap, depending on chest rarity and caping out at some level depending on where you get it from?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Anything I should know about Vermintide 2 difficulties? I have been playing Veteran, about to move onto Champion.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Does Gamepass allow access to the early beta?

In any case I was going to use that to play this until I learned that Gamepass players does not have crossplay with Steam.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Welp, Imma idiot; Preordered even though I will be traveling from Wednesday till Saturday. Though on the plus side that seems like sufficient time to see if Fatshark...well, Fatsharks it up.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Fishstick posted:

If need be you can refund at any point before release regardless how many hours you put into the preorder beta

That may depend on if Valve conciders the beta to be the same as the game proper, at least in regards to the "No questions asked if played for less than 2 hours for 2 weeks" side of things..

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I haven't played the latter but I am between Zealot and Ogryn. I liked what I played of the former, but it lacked a certain something. Maybe I will reevaluate that in a few days.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wasn't the Elfs own thing is that they were kind of overtuned on top of everything, while the Veteran wasn't, from what I could tell?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 16, 2022

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is there a benchmark tool in game? It would help if i didn’t need to play a game and have to gauge the performance while focusing on playing it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Man, loading takes forever. Still waiting on the prologue. It’s a good thing the soundtrack slaps.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I managed to get in one game but been having trouble with matchmaking despite that.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I kind of love the Meat Grinder in the Psykhanium. Really lets you appreciate the character models.

And by appreciate I mean Shoot in the Face.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don't suppose there is a way to change how a character looks after character creation?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dumb question: If I start another character do I need to redo the story objectives that I completed on my first?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Played a bit of Ogryn. On the one hand it is fun being a big bully knocking people down. On the other their dodge doesn't seem so good compared to Zealot, and I just realized the Brawler voice is basically Shrek.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
My biggest complaint right now is that something about the loading is criminally long; I don't know if it is the handshake or if it is actually loading in the resources or what.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

AndyElusive posted:

I'm getting serious tide FOMO but the mixed review status on the store page for this game has me thinking I should just probaby wait until the 30th.

Right?

The review scores so far to me actually seem to be...

Pretty nice, so far :v:

Seriously though,

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly I'd wait, maybe even give it a month after launch. Kinda regretting my pre-order, but on the other hand it got me to reinstall Vermintide II which just feels like a much better game in comparison.

My main issues right now:

1) maps feel very same-y. This hopefully will change after release, but oh my god I can not take much more grey corridor. There's one part of one level where you're in a big sandy pit and that is like a breath of fresh air, and it's a loving pit of brown sand. VT has so much more visual diversity between the crypts and the cities and the jungles and the tundra etc. Plus, you know, color. I'm hoping future maps are better about this but since it takes place in a hive city I'm kind of scared it won't be.

2) item progression feels bad. Once in a while you get a freebie gift at the end of a match but for the most part it's earn cash, use that to buy something in the store. It really just feels. . . perfunctory. VT had a system where you basically got a loot box at the end of the match (and no way to buy them) but the quality was dependent on match performance. So do the main objective, do the secondary, collect some extra greebles on the map, have a little luck, and you'd get a high level random item. I dunno, it just felt like there was a lot more correlation between doing well and getting good stuff. Never thought I'd be wishing for a (again - non-paid and no way to buy more) loot box system but here we are. The version they've got in here with buying poo poo from a store that has a random assortment just really doesn't feel good.

3) The character suck and the banter between them isn't half as good as VT. I'm sure being able to create your own dude was way high on the list of what everyone wanted - especially the streamers - and I'm equally sure I"m just an old man yelling at clouds about this, but the results just aren't nearly as strong as a couple of crafted characters with strong characterization. The in-match interplay between the 4 characters in VT is really strong and consistently entertaining. Not so here.

4) balance is fucky. I think they backed themselves into a corner with letting people have an open-ended character selection. In VT you need one of each class per match. I'm sure that causes matchmaker problems, but here you can easily end up with a match of all of one type of character. The Fanatic in particular seems strong enough to have a 4 man crew be a pretty powerful meta.

5) The weapons seem same-ish and unsatisfying. So many variations on "it's an assault rifle" or "it's a knife." I'm sure the way higher end stuff gets better, I've only got one character over lvl 25 and that one is certainly getting more interesting stuff, but goddamn it's grim at the lower levels. Feels kinda bad to see a match of 4 people all shooting las rifles.

I'm not going to refund or anything, and I really hope they make it better and more interesting, but yeesh. Kinda wish I'd held off. It says something that me and the clutch of friends who are big into PvE games have come around to jus playing VT instead, which we've all got hundreds of hours in.

Not that most of this isn't valid, but apparently, they are rolling out more maps and features by the end of the beta, so hopefully that smooths things out a bit.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Unlucky7 posted:

The review scores so far to me actually seem to be...

Pretty nice, so far :v:

Seriously though,

Not that most of this isn't valid, but apparently, they are rolling out more maps and features by the end of the beta, so hopefully that smooths things out a bit.

Okay, a bit of a mae culpa; I went to the beta announcement and here is what they said:

quote:

WEEK ONE (November 17 - 20)
Full access to the game hub and mission board.
4 changing missions across 4 zones
We will regularly run in-game events (Conditions), namely Power Supply Interruption and Ventilation Purge. We don’t want to spoil them too much. We encourage you to experience them for yourself :)

WEEK TWO (November 21 - 27)
Up to 8 changing missions across 4 zones
In-Game Events, other surprise additions we do not want to spoil right now

WEEK 3 (November 28 to 30)
Up to 10 changing missions across 4 zones
Downtime to get the game ready for wide release: Tuesday Nov 29, 202219:00 UTC

NOVEMBER 30 (LAUNCH)
13 missions across 5 zones
1 New Zone (We do not want to share its name yet)
New Conditions (In-Game Events)

So it seems to be more conditions and missions going at the same time, with one new zone being added at launch.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Right now the biggest difference maker for FPS on my machine is ray tracing. Having it on has the action dip to 30fps or lower on a 3070 with an i5 8400, and off gets me around 60 fps on the capital ship (haven’t ran a mission with it off yet though)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just had a game where near the end I dced, then on reconnect clipped through the entire stage, crashed, and did not get any reward from the mission.

Game is real fun but man I hope they hammer out the crash bugs during the beta period.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Alchenar posted:

I would have bought imperial edition if the reward was the VT2 characters brought into 40k.

Has there ever been Fantasy/40k crossover? Now I am curious.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So if I understand correctly, they only put out 1 new mission, with another tomorrow possibly, rather than the promised 4 due to bugs?

I mean, I do not blame them for doing what they need to do but I think I may play other games for now possibly until release. Don't really want to burn myself out here.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
While I do not blame people for judging things on what is available here and now, I will personally wait until all the available missions are out. But the fact that we are a week away from release and we do not even have half of those missions due to various issues, on top of all the other technical problems...I like how it plays and want this game to be good on release but this doesn't bode well.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

field balm posted:

I don't think so, marines would take the series from survival horror to straight up power fantasy

You mean it's not already?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Played my first few missions in Haz 3. Completed 2, though my other party members were level 30s so there was a bit of carrying there (level 5 Zealot here)

EDIT: Game may be a mess but it is a real fun mess when everything aligns.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just had a game where I was last man standing against a sudden swarm; 2 decided to run INTO the swarm with predictable results, and the third got knocked out of the arena. I was trying to help him and the other two once they showed up for rescue but there was a mutant that I could not quite shake; Had me so many times he should have done the funky chicken at some point. THis is along with fighting the swarm which had a couple of elites. Ultimately failed, but dang.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Starting to learn how useful pushing can be in fighting huge hordes. It has a huge radius, interrupts common enemies at least, and are good for a few free hits against them.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just played my first game in a bit. Is it just me or is the Raytracing running a little bit better now? I have a 3070 and while there are still pain points it feels quite a bit smoother now.

Forgive me if I have said this before, but shame this game is kind of a mess, even if it is a really fun mess.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

toasterwarrior posted:

The game is pretty much 50-60 with a 3070 for me at max quality, but RTX is hosed. I'll give it a try again later.

It was not by any means constant 50-60 but it felt more playable to me than it was before. I could be broke brained though

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
When is a good time that I try to do Haz 4? I can consistently do Haz 3 but I tried Haz 4 once and my team died immediately.

My teammates all told me basically “LOL Stick to Haz 3 and get better gear”. To be fair it they were nice about it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is it weird that I am refusing to play as Veteran because I am afraid I would not be able to play anything else?

To be serious I have an Ogryn and Zealot, the latter of which I am actively play. I am currently planning to level the Veteran last.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

toasterwarrior posted:

i just said i consider risk of rain 2 to be a fantastic execution of that style tho? sorry your game looks ugly as poo poo

calm down

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The thread is cranky and needs a nap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
EDIT: Actually no, I won't take the bait.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 25, 2023