Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

MEIN RAVEN posted:

Sticking my nose in here, but when I ran a practice I was lazy and did the trad IRA route and the tax benefits were garbage. In hindsight, a solo 401k is 1000% better and is available to her if she can prove she’s running her business. Just something to look in to!
Thanks you, I did some quick googling and it looks like setting up a solo 401K is easier and cheaper than I expected. Certainly something I'll keep in mind when we start planning, but right now she's more focused on stuff like credentialing and insurance, so we'll tackle it when things settle down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

All you book readers should post your reads in the "What Did You Just Finish?" thread in TBB if you don't already. It's fun seeing people's thoughts on what they just finished reading, and I've loaded up my library list from goons' reviews.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

End of February Update

2023 Financial Goals
1. Repay myself - $786 of $4,490 - Not great last month, gonna do better this month
2. Contribute full amount to 401(k) - Set on auto
3. Contribute full amount to IRA - Done
4. Get veterinary fund back to $3000 - $588 of $3,000 - One pup ended up needing an ultrasound last month, hopefully none of that this month
5. Sell old company stock - Done
6. Rollover old 401(k)s and HSAs - 1 transfer completed, 2 to go
7. Stretch: Extra house payment - Striking this one. Ally interest rates are higher than my mortgage interest rate, it doesn't make any sense to pay extra
8. Reevaluate goals in July

2023 Personal Goals
1. Find a new primary doctor - Done
2. Yoga at least x2 a week - lol nope
3. Cut down on eating out - Still staying within budget, but last week and this week have both been not great.
4. Read 15 books - 1 of 15 - Just finished "The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires" by Grady Hendrix. I don't normally read horror, but it wasn't too scary and it was pretty enjoyable read.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Update: still broke so what

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Update: still broke so what
Chicken butt.

So you talking more to your family or what? I put a reminder in my phone to call my mom every week & that has helped me not be the worst daughter.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Mildly but not really - too busy stacking racks on racks on racks*

*barely staying afloat

I am happy to hear that you are chatting with your family more :)

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

March Update!

1. Raise net worth by $304k to $340k. $320k

2. Increase emergency fund from $18k to $20k. $18.6k

3. Make one extra mortgage payment. 0.29 extra payments made.

4. Contribute a minimum of $4.4k to Roth IRA. $1280

5. Stay at or under my Eating Out budget for 10 out of 12 months. 2/12.

6. Explore moving my Roth IRA from Betterment to a somewhere... better. No progress.

7. Make a celebratory "11 years of YNAB" post at end of September. Not time yet.

8. Lose 15 pounds. -3 pounds. Am walking outside more and eating out less. Need to start counting calories in April since the scale isn't moving.

9. Read 12 books. 7/12. Finished Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind yesterday.

$11m of budget shortfalls means my work is talking layoffs. It currently looks like I will be safe, but it is a stressful time! The board will approve the reduced plan next month, so just a few more weeks of uncertainty, but, sheesh.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
March

Turbinosamente posted:

Financial

Overall: hoard money to buy a house.

• Add 13k to my savings. On pace with $250 a week, tapped it for $1500 though.

• Curb my bullshit spending on collectibles. Had an Ebay deal go south & got a refund. But the circumstances around it really put the kibosh on my collectible spending for now. Which is a net good?

• Get a raise next October. Waiting and seeing.

Personal

• Get to bed on time, bitch. Sorta not really. Went to bed mostly on time and with no screens beforehand last night and feel loads better today though!

• No new craft projects or mediums. 5 projects completed!

• Buy no more than 5 video games.
1/5 purchased.

• Beat 5 games, read 5 books, watch 5 DVDs.
1/5 games.
0/5 books.
4/5 DVDs.

New hugbox category for video games I tried and did not like, or got super far and gave up on ever completing. It's:

Games experienced. 5 video games tried.

• Keep decluttering. Very slow. Sold some games, got half a box to donate, and tossed some dead art supplies

• Play more bass. Still half assing it.

• Cook more often/ find new recipes. More nope.

The scheduling my hobbies thing isn't really working for me, and I question if I have too many but I'm at a loss as to what ones to cut out. It is sorely tempting to just axe all retro games and keep only the switch and pc for games but I just can't bring myself to do it. :negative:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Turbinosamente posted:

It is sorely tempting to just axe all retro games and keep only the switch and pc for games but I just can't bring myself to do it. :negative:

Could've bought Pocket Card Jockey on 3DS (updated port now on Apple) and been covered for gaming for the foreseeable future.

Financial content... umm... setting my workplace 457 to split evenly between Traditional and Roth has saved me any angst from the news algorithm assaulting me with headlines about one being clearly advantageous over the other. Another small reward of living below my means!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

Goal this year is to get my brokerage account to have more money than my Roth IRA. As of today ~$18K to go

So i now have more money in my brokerage but not all invested yet. I have about $16k to go that will be DCAed over the next 5-6 months. Just have to stick to the plan.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Space Fish posted:

Could've bought Pocket Card Jockey on 3DS (updated port now on Apple) and been covered for gaming for the foreseeable future.

Ha, could have but didn't buy into the end of the 3ds eshop.

Joking aside, I already have more than enough games to play for the foreseeable future, which is why I'm desperately trying to prioritize them and cut the bottom of the list out.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

March report: Being kinda depressed and lonely leads to some really stupid financial decisions.

Financial
  • Get emergency fund/liquid cash savings to $2000. - Fund back down to $105 (down $120 month-over-month). Not on pace.

• Decrease total debt by $20,000 - Total debt UP by $600 for the year (up $1700 month-over-month). Not on pace.

• Max out company match on 401k - Still on auto.

• Max out my work's charity donation matching. (For real this time!) - Still on auto.

• Put down the 50% deposit on villa rental for 2024 Costa Rica trip (stretch goal: also buy the plane tickets). - Done in January. (plane tickets tbd)

• Maintain $0 in CC debt - Paid a 5% transfer fee ($400) for a 0% interest rate balance transfer to close out a high-interest loan and put the debt on one of my CCs. The loan was at 9.2% interest, so I'll be saving a tiny bit of money as long as I can get everything paid off before the 0% rate shoots up on January 1st. CC debt now sitting at $8050 (Up $7350 month-over-month). Not on pace.

Life
  • Lose 50-55 pounds - Still riding the Wegovy train, and March's average weight was down 30.2 pounds from the monthly average weight in December (down 12.5 pounds month-over-month from February average). Fortunately, it seems the pace of weight loss is starting to slow down, so I should be able to keep from losing more than 55 lbs as long as I keep to my weight training.

• Complete >104 units in Duolingo's Spanish course - 96 units remaining (only 3 units completed this month). Falling really far behind here. I must complete 3 units per week next month or it's time to admit that this goal won't be met. Not on pace.

• Read >12 books (at least one in Spanish) - 0 books finished this month, 1 total read for the year. Not on pace.

• Deadlift 400 pounds again - Still haven't maxed out. Not on pace.

• Run a <10:00 mile again - My best 1 mile run time so far this year was timed at 13:02. (Down 12 seconds from last month.) Not on pace.

• Take an actual vacation (as in, at least 3 days of PTO and going to another city) - Done in February.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

March report: Being kinda depressed and lonely leads to some really stupid financial decisions.

Sorry to hear you're down right now. Make sure to reach out to whoever/whatever your support network is and take care of yourself first and always. A quick coffee / online gaming session / whatever with someone you haven't connected with in awhile can do wonders in my experience.

My updates:

March Update

2023 Financial Goals
  • Annual budget reassessment
  • Max out backdoor Roth IRAs
  • Max HSA On track
  • Meet company match on 401k On track. With my raise this year, I may finally be able to turn this into a "Max 401k" goal. I've always been going well past the company match, but kept it at that in my goals for some reason.
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On track
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan
  • Furnish the basement. Stay under 20k all in 13k spent

2023 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (Stretch goal: 1 in Spanish) 5 of 16 read*
  • Exercise 100 times 22 of 100. Slightly behind due to a work trip with minimal free time for exercise.
  • Use all of my vacation 8 of 200 hours + 1 sick day that I'm not including as "vacation"
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy. 7 more games removed from the list
  • Take the kids one place new every month We went to Unicorn World when it was in town. It was very exciting for them - not so much for us.

* Definitely recommend Struck By Genius if you like autobiographies of interesting people you probably have never heard of.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 1, 2023

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
So, as I said earlier, I got laid off on February 2. I start a full-time job this coming Monday. Yay (eventual) income! :)

Also, for the record, I'm leaving my completed goals up here just to remind myself of my successes. I'll remove them if they take up too much space. Anywaaaayyyy...

March Update

I went on a trip to Virginia for my uncle's wedding March 4-5, and a cruise with my family March 19-26, so my travel is kind of off. There's also the fact that I've needed to dip into my emergency fund to help keep myself alive during these layoff months, so I'm definitely further from my emergency savings goal than I'd like to be.

Financial

- $8,000 new apartment
Crossing this out. I moved, and I'm here, and that's all. :toot:

- $5,000 travel $894.30 to go
- $20,000 emergency $8,693.18 to go :negative:
- $5,000 bills $-2,168.65 to go :toot:

Is it a bad idea to use some "excess" from the bills savings to meet the travel savings goals? After all, 1) I've had that excess since mid-February without needing to touch it, 2) I'd still have enough left over to set the bills savings goalposts further ahead, and 3) it would give me an excuse to set the travel savings goalposts ahead too. If it's a bad idea, please tell me; it doesn't look like a bad idea from where I'm sitting but I'm a lowly n00b.

Personal (habits)

- get out of bed before 10am at least six days a week
Still going strong. :sun:

- walk at least one mile a day at least six days a week
This has DEFINITELY not been a priority of mine lately. Getting back into a routine of any kind (*cough*work*cough*) might help, but I don't want to count my chickens before they've hatched.

- limit five takeout/order-in meals a week
This was a success for a little while, but I really need to stop ordering in when I'm sick/period-ing just because I'm tired/pained to cook. This is what Excedrin & weed are for.

- listen to at least 3 hours of NRK Alltid Nyheter a day (jeg må øve! :norway:)
See "walk at least one mile a day at least six days a week" answer

Personal (one-timers)

- buy a new computer
DONE. A nice little Acer TravelMate. :)

- have my fibroids removed (or the whole uterus, whatever works)
- have my wisdom teeth removed
Let's get insurance first. :patriot:

- buy a drat vacuum
Let's get income first.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Sorry this is a couple of days late, but here is my…

End of March Update

2023 Financial Goals
1. Repay myself - $1230.54 of $4,490 - Slowly but surely
4. Get veterinary fund back to $3000 - $748 of $3,000 -
6. Rollover old 401(k)s and HSAs - 1 transfer completed, 2 to go. Got the details on forms/instructions on how to do a second one, but they won’t do a custodian to custodian transfer, I have to receive and then send on the check. This always makes me nervous so I’ve been putting it off…
7. Stretch: Extra house payment - Striking this one. Ally interest rates are higher than my mortgage interest rate, it doesn't make any sense to pay extra

2023 Personal Goals
3. Cut down on eating out - Struggling with this one. Gonna try to get back on track this month.
4. Read 15 books - 2 of 15 - Read The Once and Future Witches by Alix E. Harrow. I really enjoyed it, but I love fantasy with feminist messaging so it was right up my alley.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Sure we'll do March:

Financial
Max various retirement accounts incl 401(k), IRA, HSA - All on pace
Contribute $2K to 529 in order to maximize state income tax benefits. - Done
Save at least $60K towards house down payment - Done, will add to this over the course of the year
Identify an accountant in case tax situation gets much more complex in 2023 - not done yet
Migrate our stupid low yield CD that's up in January in to a T-Bill ladder or something similar - Combo of 13 week held T-Bills and SGOV for fun. Will add to this over the course of the year
$10K I-Bond purchase not done yet

Nonfinancial
Go skiing 10 days in the year - 9/10 days It's supposed to snow this week. This weekend is probably my last shot.
Use all my PTO time - 3/25 used in March so I'm not on pace but I've at least used some
Read 25 books - 5/25 not on pace
Exercise 150+ days - 36/38 not on pace

Caught up a bit on exercise but still just off the pace.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

$10K I-Bond purchase not done yet

You waiting for the April inflation report, too?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
March update

Financial:
  • Replace my side job income with a bonus I get from working in-office in my main job
    Didn't get as much bonus because I took a vacation and was off for two weeks. In that time, I couldn't work my side job either. So things haven't been great on this front.
  • Pay off my home renovation loan in full (around €18400 after this month's upcoming payment)
    currently at 14751.09. Haven't been able to make an extra payment this month between the vacation, healthcare costs and a reservation I've had to make for renovation stuff
  • Contribute the maximum in my private tax-advantaged retirement account.
    Another 133.54 contributed automatically.
  • Keep my emergency fund at €10k (no effort, just avoid emergencies!)
    It's at 10k
  • Keep my apartment fund at €10k. It can go over, and currently is, awaiting renovation bills and furniture purchases
    Made yet another change in this, and moved the whole thing back to my normal bank. It turns out that the Spanish bank that did the HYSA (Santander/Openbank) loving SUCKED at pretty much everything, so I closed the account. I did get €15 in interest for keeping my money with them for two weeks.
    I have ~17k in the apt fund account right now.

Apartment:
  • Get all walls and floors done so I can move my bed into the bigger (now empty) bedroom
    Got a quote from a guy who'll do five new doors and frames (including removing the annoying windows over my interior doors), do a lot of wall stuff, some painting and new windowsills. 6600 in total, including materials, so I'm just going to go with it. Made a reservation for it in my apt fund account, so that's why that number is high and I'm not making extra loan payments.
  • Get electricity for that bedroom and the balcony done so I'll later be able to get an induction range in the kitchen (long story, stupid setup)
    Have an appointment with the electrician for tomorrow morning. I want to have this done before the other guy comes to plaster the walls, etc
  • Get plumbing for my washer and dryer where I want it
    no progress

Projects:
  • Finish and launch at least one software project, even if it's only for me to use myself
    Still making progress. Got some stupid and super annoying bugs ironed out this month.
  • Help a friend finish and launch at least one project, probably a cookbook
    Still working on the second cookbook.

Life/general:
  • Finish a book every month. I used to be a book a week guy, I need to get back on the horse
    Finished Tobacco: A Cultural History of How an Exotic Plant Seduced Civilization by Iain Gately. It's not a good book. Interesting subject, but pretty badly written. Feels like an editor with a background in actual history would have been a good idea. There's so many careless statements, dodgy attributions, tasteless innuendo and casual racism.
  • Cook for other people at least once a month
    Made a big salad for some friends
  • Take two vacations
    Spain was nice. Took some nice mountain walks with my friends' dog, had lots of barbecue that was probably bad for my intestinal issues
  • At least four hours of exercise every week, measured in fitbit move minutes.
    I'm getting close to the planed 240 move minutes a week every week, and it often doesn't detect me riding my bike until I'm doing it for at least ten minutes already, so I'm going to claim I've hit this one

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Pipistrelle posted:

6. Rollover old 401(k)s and HSAs - 1 transfer completed, 2 to go. Got the details on forms/instructions on how to do a second one, but they won’t do a custodian to custodian transfer, I have to receive and then send on the check. This always makes me nervous so I’ve been putting it off…

I've done the non-custodial transfer twice. I can definitely understand the hesitance of that much money floating around as a piece of paper. If you hadn't planned on it when you do it, make sure to go to the post office when you're finishing the transfer and send the check via certified mail with all the tracking and junk. Adds the extra piece of mind to the transfer.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Financial Goals:
Continue to max out my 401k On Track
Help my spouse set up a retirement solution Waiting on this
Pay off at least half of home renovation loans. On Track - 88% paid off
Support my spouse to set up her private practice full time Done
Cut our discretionary spending back by 5% ($150/month) Done

Personal Goals:
Take better care of my physical and mental health On Track
Upgrade my first job (job search, interview, etc.) Done
Publish something On Track

Pretty happy with how this month went. Without going too heavily into the details, I've taken some big steps for my health that I'm pretty proud of, so I appreciate that this post let me reflect on what I've done this last month. The private practice is coming along nice, I'm hoping that she'll be able to start working by June at the latest. Her unemployment has been in limbo for two months, which is a little unfortunate and put some strain on our finances, but I'm still hopeful. As for the home renovation loans, we've been keeping roughly on track and I think we'll start making some real progress once my pay raise kicks in this month. Honestly I've been a bit frustrated lately because it felt like I wasn't making an real progress, so taking the time to look back and see how far I've come since last month was something I needed.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I've done the non-custodial transfer twice. I can definitely understand the hesitance of that much money floating around as a piece of paper. If you hadn't planned on it when you do it, make sure to go to the post office when you're finishing the transfer and send the check via certified mail with all the tracking and junk. Adds the extra piece of mind to the transfer.

Thank you, this is really good advice and I honestly feel silly that I didn’t think of it. I guess I don’t mail stuff that often… but doing this will definitely make me feel better about the process!

Tibalt posted:

Pretty happy with how this month went. Without going too heavily into the details, I've taken some big steps for my health that I'm pretty proud of, so I appreciate that this post let me reflect on what I've done this last month. The private practice is coming along nice, I'm hoping that she'll be able to start working by June at the latest.

Congrats! Fingers crossed for you and Mrs. Tibalt on the private practice!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Goals:
  • More money at end of 2023 than at start of 2023. On Track
  • More muscles at end of 2023 than at start of 2023 n.o.t.
  • Improve communications with my family. Establish monthly communication goals for each of them. n.o.t.
  • Pet dogs o.t.
  • Explore estate lawyers to get affairs in order. n.o.t.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
I've been really bad at updating this year but here's my end of Q1:

- Pension Pot £111k
- ISA £10.3k
- Short Term Savings £5600
- Net Worth £152k

- Just ordered the new fence posts to reinforce the back of the garden
- The car situation is pretty much resolved; my partner's mother is getting on and hasn't driven her car since pre-pandemic, so we've finally convinced her to add me to the insurance to drive it about instead of letting it rust on her driveway. Had to fix a few minor defects, jump the battery to fire it up and run it through an MOT but it potters about nice enough now to clear this long term goal without burning the best part of 5 grand
- Went skiing in the first weekend of March, had a great time and didn't break anything
- Need to get back into the habit of running again... Large F on that front
- Been playing around with the piano but if I'm going to improve I need to knuckle down on finding tuition - the car money will help go towards this

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
It's a couple days early but I'm feeling good about April so here goes:

Turbinosamente posted:

Financial

Overall: hoard money to buy a house.

• Add 13k to my savings.
On pace with $250 a week, and between my Ebay refund and tax return I've made up my $1500 deficit! Still not able to add extra over the $250 a week like I wanted to though...

• Curb my bullshit spending on collectibles.
Yes I did RSD and bought a few kokeshis too. At least there was a lot of poo poo where common sense prevailed and I said no, plus I'm barely looking at ebay and other selling sites still.

• Get a raise next October.
Got a random raise out of nowhere on my start date so ????

Personal

• Get to bed on time, bitch.
Hit a real bad wall with being over tired last week so I've made a concerted effort this week and am slowly crawling out of the hole out myself into.

• No new craft projects or mediums.
8 projects completed! Bought a small wad of model paints on a gift card to do the latest projects, but no kits or other supplies, so yay!

• Buy no more than 5 video games.
1/5 purchased.

• Beat 5 games, read 5 books, watch 5 DVDs.
1/5 games.
2/5 books.
4/5 DVDs.

• Games experienced.
5 video games tried.

• Keep decluttering.
Got pissed at the bottom of the hall closet and laundry area so we cleaned them out and are currently facing the dreaded craft cabinet. Trying to get back to dealing with a minimum of one item a day in the basement as well. Probably need to dump a box at goodwill too.

• Play more bass.
It's to the point where I gotta learn the notes on the fretboard, so I dug out the book yesterday. Still kinda half assing practicing though.

• Cook more often/ find new recipes.
Lol, and futhermore, lmao.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

April Update

2023 Financial Goals
  • Annual budget reassessment
  • Max out backdoor Roth IRAs
  • Max HSA On track
  • Meet company match on 401k On track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On track
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan
  • Furnish the basement. Stay under 20k all in 13k total

2023 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (Stretch goal: 1 in Spanish) 6 of 16 read*
  • Exercise 100 times 31 of 100
  • Use all of my vacation 12 of 200 hours + 1 sick day that I'm not including as "vacation"
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy. 2 more games removed from the list
  • Take the kids one place new every month We took the kids to the museum downtown. While we've been there before, they have a temporary Lego exhibit that is new, which was a lot of fun.

* What If? 2 was a very funny read.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

April Update!

1. Raise net worth by $304k to $340k. $325k

2. Increase emergency fund from $18k to $20k. $18.9k

3. Make one extra mortgage payment. 0.38 extra payments made.

4. Contribute a minimum of $4.4k to Roth IRA. $1640

5. Stay at or under my Eating Out budget for 10 out of 12 months. 2/12.

6. Explore moving my Roth IRA from Betterment to a somewhere... better. No progress.

7. Make a celebratory "11 years of YNAB" post at end of September. Not time yet.

8. Lose 15 pounds. -3 pounds.

9. Read 12 books. 8/12.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
April update

Financial:
  • Replace my side job income with a bonus I get from working in-office in my main job
    Getting closer, but not quite there yet. Too many sick days and public holidays. Easter :argh:
  • Pay off my home renovation loan in full (around €18400 after this month's upcoming payment)
    currently at 14453.84. More health care costs took a bite out of this month's possible contribution. But those should be behind me mostly now that my max out of pocket for 2022 and 2023 has been used up.
  • Contribute the maximum in my private tax-advantaged retirement account.
    Another 133.54 contributed automatically.
  • Keep my emergency fund at €10k (no effort, just avoid emergencies!)
    It's at 10k
  • Keep my apartment fund at €10k. It can go over, and currently is, awaiting renovation bills and furniture purchases
    €15924.14 in the appartment fund, up from the previous month, but still lower than it should be since there's going to be more work in the near future.

Apartment:
  • Get all walls and floors done so I can move my bed into the bigger (now empty) bedroom
    Got a step closer to this by having the electrician take care of the below. The floors still need some cement work to be closed again, but then the rest can start. I'm haggling with the carpenter over wooden windowsills, and I think I'm going to take those out of the contract since I want to be absolutely sure of what he's going to use.
  • Get electricity for that bedroom and the balcony done so I'll later be able to get an induction range in the kitchen (long story, stupid setup)
    Mostly done: an extra outlet has been made in the bedroom, and there's now a 3 phase power line to the kitchen for my hypothetical future induction range. Due to the way we've done this, electricity for the balcony doesn't need to be changed, but I'm debating changing the location of the single outlet there. That's cheap and easy, though.
  • Get plumbing for my washer and dryer where I want it
    no progress

Projects:
  • Finish and launch at least one software project, even if it's only for me to use myself
    Very little progress this month.
  • Help a friend finish and launch at least one project, probably a cookbook
    We finished the second cookbook, but it was way too stressful to hit her desired release date. We're going to do things differently the next time around.

Life/general:
  • Finish a book every month. I used to be a book a week guy, I need to get back on the horse
    Finished Money Men by Dan McCrum. First book this year I can recommend, and it's a very BFC book, about the downfall of Wirecard, the German unicorn payment processor who mostly made up their revenue.
  • Cook for other people at least once a month
    For my birthday, I baked a cake for my neighbors
  • Take two vacations
    No new vacations planned, so still at one for the year. I'm taking some days off later in May, but probably not going anywhere.
  • At least four hours of exercise every week, measured in fitbit move minutes.
    I didn't hit my goal the last week of April (due to surgery), but the other weeks made up for it, so I'm going to allow myself to average it out and count this as a win.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

April Update. Still pretty BWM. Tried to sooth my troubles with a lot of fine dining and partying this month. That didn't really work, so now I need to buckle down.

Financial
  • Get emergency fund/liquid cash savings to $2000. - Fund still at $155 (up $50 month-over-month). Not on pace.

• Decrease total debt by $20,000 - Total debt UP by $1400 for the year (up $800 month-over-month). Not on pace.

• Max out my work's charity donation matching. (For real this time!) - Still on auto.

• Put down the 50% deposit on villa rental for 2024 Costa Rica trip (stretch goal: also buy the plane tickets). - Done in January. (plane tickets tbd)

• Maintain $0 in CC debt - Just...just...Not on pace.

Life
  • Lose 50-55 pounds - Monthly average weight down 2.79 pounds from last month, down 32.99 pounds from the beginning of the year. At a good pace now to hit the goal weight (without losing too much) by end of year.

• Complete >104 units in Duolingo's Spanish course - 95 units remaining (only 1 units completed this month). Definitely set this goal too high, and it's very unlikely I'll hit it. But I'm going to keep studying because I am learning some Spanish and that's better than not learning any at all. Not on pace.

• Read >12 books (at least one in Spanish) - 0 books finished this month, 1 total read for the year. Not on pace.

• Deadlift 400 pounds again - Still haven't maxed out. Not on pace.

• Run a <10:00 mile again - My best 1 mile run time so far this year was timed at 11:30. (Down 92 seconds from previous best.) Almost on pace.

• Take an actual vacation (as in, at least 3 days of PTO and going to another city) - Done in February.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Financial Goals:
Continue to max out my 401k On Track
Help my spouse set up a retirement solution Waiting on this
Pay off at least half of home renovation loans. On Track - 86% paid off
Support my spouse to set up her private practice full time Done
Cut our discretionary spending back by 5% ($150/month) Done

Personal Goals:
Take better care of my physical and mental health On Track
Upgrade my first job (job search, interview, etc.) Done
Publish something On Track

Not a lot of change from last month. Paying our taxes didn't give us a lot of space to pay down debts, but at least I'm still moving in the right direction. Hopefully I'll make a little bit more progress in May.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

End of April Update

2023 Financial Goals
1. Repay myself - $2,541 of $4,490 - Slowly but surely
4. Get veterinary fund back to $3000 - $748 of $3,000 - No change here
6. Rollover old 401(k)s and HSAs - 2 transfers completed, 1 to look into. - Also shout-out to Good-Natured Filth for the suggestion to send the check certified, it was enough to get me over my mental block and the transfer has been completed :toot:
7. Stretch: Extra house payment - Striking this one, doesn’t make sense at this time

2023 Personal Goals
3. Cut down on eating out - Did a lot better in April, going to try and keep it going this month
4. Read 15 books - 4 of 15

Pipistrelle fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 2, 2023

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Pipistrelle posted:

6. Rollover old 401(k)s and HSAs - 2 transfers completed, 1 to look into. - Also shout-out to Good-Natured Filth for the suggestion to send the check certified, it was enough to get me over my mental block and the transfer has been completed :toot:

It's a big accomplishment to move that much money and definitely sets you up to more easily track against some of your other goals! Congrats!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

April

Financial
Max various retirement accounts incl 401(k), IRA, HSA - All on pace
Contribute $2K to 529 in order to maximize state income tax benefits. - Done
Save at least $60K towards house down payment - Done, will add to this over the course of the year
Identify an accountant in case tax situation gets much more complex in 2023 - not done yet
Migrate our stupid low yield CD that's up in January in to a T-Bill ladder or something similar - Combo of 13 week held T-Bills and SGOV for fun. Will add to this over the course of the year
$10K I-Bond purchase done in April lol oops

Nonfinancial
Go skiing 10 days in the year - 9/10 days I guess I could get a couple in in December
Use all my PTO time - 3/25 not great!
Read 25 books - 5/25 not on pace although i'm in the middle of two and pretty close.
Exercise 150+ days - 50/50 on pace!

Caught up on exercise, way behind on books. got owned by the new I-Bond fixed rate. Mostly just need to figure out an accountant, I'll probably start looking at the end of May since I believe that is when things start to slow down for those guys.

edit: realized i forgot to update my exercise number.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 5, 2023

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Update for May - Overall, I've been doing tons more art, took a sumi-e ink painting class, joined a plein air sketching/watercolor group, doing pottery open studio. Making some headway on the loft project slowly but surely. I found a desiccated rat corpse in the wall getting rid of old insulation. My tomato/pepper seedlings are up and ready to be hardened off for mid-month planting. I started playing softball again and am finishing up coaching my kid's teeball team. Getting ready for three camping trips this month.

Three words for 2023 are: compassion, positivity, art.

General goals:
- Keep track of all financial activity in an overall spreadsheet to make end of year planning easier ON TRACK
- Go back to using a spreadsheet to track discretionary purchases WHOOPS totally forgot to do this, oh well
- Make sure we're hitting 10% of total expenses as charitable expenses - ON TRACK, need to do stock transfer to Haiti charity though
- Read 100 books - ON TRACK, on book #42 now (but it's Dhalgren and that should count for three books).
- Make pottery and build pit in backyard to try out reduction pit firing - ON TRACK made a bunch of pots, tried a dismal pit firing with a pinch pot that cracked, oh well

Garden goals:
- Get compost for garden (Jan) - DONE
- Plant a bunch of pumpkins (March/April) NOPE
- Plant flowers for cut garden on top of leach field (April) DONE
- Get curly willow cuttings and make wreaths to dry out (April/May) NOPE
- Do mother's day succulent pots for neighborhood (May) NOPE
- Get more blackberry cuttings and plant them up in front yard (May/June)
- Do at least 20 hoshigaki (September/October)
- Don't buy any more houseplants. Keep the ones I have alive. Split some to give away as presents. DONE

DIY goals:
- Build loft in garage (Jan/Feb) - DONE
- Hire out electrician (Feb) - DONE
- Insulate and build floor (Feb) - Insulation DONE, floors waiting on drywall
- Hire dry wall guys (March) DONE, only 2 months late
- Restain the back deck (May)
- Paint garage (May)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
April Update

Yet again, I have travel plans. Going to Atlantic City for a nice Mother's Day weekend. :sigh: Plus, I'm going to the Trondheim Beerfest in August and I want to book flight/hotel/cat-sitter well in advance, so my travel budget is probably going to look a little off next month.

Financial

- $8,000 new apartment
Crossing this out. I moved, and I'm here, and that's all. :toot:

- $5,000 travel -$13.95 to go :toot:
- $20,000 emergency $9,557.86 to go
- $5,000 bills $-1,292.23 to go :toot:

I added money from my bills account to my travel account, because I couldn't see anything wrong with it. Plus, it lets me focus on adding to the emergency fund.

Personal (habits)

- get out of bed before 10am at least six days a week
Still going strong. :sun:

- walk at least one mile a day at least six days a week
Kind of...? It's not a routine yet.

- limit five takeout/order-in meals a week
So hard...

- listen to at least 3 hours of NRK Alltid Nyheter a day (jeg må øve! :norway:)
I've been listening a lot, but I think maybe three hours a day is pushing it. Still going to try though.

Personal (one-timers)

- buy a new computer
DONE. A nice little Acer TravelMate. :)

- have my fibroids removed (or the whole uterus, whatever works)
- have my wisdom teeth removed
drat it, I can't find a good time, not for any procedures OR recovery.

- buy a drat vacuum
This will be done by the next check-in.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 5, 2023

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Question to my fellow goal-setters. This is my first year actually doing a good job sticking to my exercise goal, and I want that trend to continue. I have work travel and vacation coming up, and I fear it's going to impact my adherence because I won't have access to my treadmill which is the main reason I think I've been good at sticking to my goal. How do you all keep on the exercise routine when away from home (either for work or vacation)?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I run about 120 nights in hotels a year, mostly for work. Been doing that for about 12 years, in both consistent places (the classic M-R consultant four days a week on site, same site every week deal), and inconsistent places (right now, I go to like six or seven places somewhat regularly with some additional chaos).

Good news for you is that if you're on a treadmill, most decent hotels will have a hotel gym with treadmills. The challenge is making time and making it a habit. I find it much easier to make exercise a part of my work travel routine. On the road for work is just like home for work - you have to establish a routine and get your exercise in. Decide on what schedule makes sense and stick to it. At home I work out after work but on the road I do it in the morning, because on the road there's always client dinners and other evening bullshit, plus you'll probably be drained from whatever work stuff you gotta do.

For vacation, I usually substitute. On vacation I like to walk around a lot so I do that, or depending on where it is I'll find something active to make part of my vacation (a short hike, paddle boarding, rent bikes for a few hours, whatever). But I'm not trying to get in like a swim, or a real run, or yoga, or free weights like I would at home. If you're mostly doing treadmill, I'd try to substitute a decent walk or hike or something like that.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
I keep forgetting about this. At least my (tri) monthly updates brings decent news (in some areas)

The SituAsian posted:

(I think) first time posting in one of these :kiddo:

Financial

-Stay employed at same position or at least maintain a comparable salary at another position so that I won't need to make any major lifestyle changes. Still chugging along

-Pass the 4 CPA Exam sections by the end of the year Oh boy - well I'm scheduled to take 2 sections by the end of the month and I am not at all prepared for Financial Reporting on the 23rd and there's no way I'll get there unless I quit my job. At this point I think I'll just cut my losses and try to just focus on Business Concepts which I'm taking on 6/30

- Move emergency savings from garbage rear end Chase to any HYSA. Also not necessarily a goal yet but probably change my bank Chase to somewhere (anywhere) else. - Done long ago. Still maintaining the savings account at Chase as a way to park short term money

-Deposit at least $1,200 into HSA. - Actually already overshot this by about 350. New goal.

-Continue to max out 401k contributions - Still going, but just for clarity's sake this 5% so I hit the max to my employer's match.

-Sell off stocks in brokerage account and establish a Roth IRA with the funds Just sold these but I'm pretty sure I'm just going to put (at least some) of the proceeds into a standard IRA

-Either get a killer offer to keep or cancel my Amex Platinum when it renews in August Will have to see what happens. This is probably my lowest priority though.

Personal

-Workout at least twice a week with weights Have been kinda killing this one tbh, going 3 times most weeks up to even 4 sometimes.

-(Weather permitting) do some form of walking at least 30 minutes once a week Cardio kills gains

-Visit goon friends in Portland sometime in the Spring Didn't materialze unfortunately

-Go to Las Vegas with aforementioned goon friends in the fall for either a big fight event or F1 Booked travel to see Errol Spence vs Terence Crawford on July 29th along with (at least) 2 others in that group. Going to be nuts because I was actually attending a friend's wedding reception on South Padre Island the day before so travel is insanely tight but I've been waiting for both events for years so I will make it work.

-Continue daily fantasy sports and sports betting as a hobby but-barring special circumstance or promotion-not play more than $10 at a time Ok I guess

-Declutter my lifestyle by selling off Magic: The Gathering collection, selling (or giving away) spare electronics/computer parts as well as giving away clothes I don't wear/no longer fit me anymore. Managed to sell off the Magic collection earlier this month

-Pursuant to the above set budgets for clothing and hobbies. I didn't this year and I just ended up wasting too much. Another rough one. So I've been going crazy on designer sneakers in particular but spent way too much on most categories of clothing imaginable. Trying to not spend anything until after the Vegas trip is done and paid for.

-Keep some sort of paper journal and try to update it at least twice weekly I'm writing something most days, and it's been pretty helpful so far. Started seeing someone for individual counseling about the same price as I was paying for Betterhelp who -and maybe this is placebo effect but I think it meets my needs WAY more than a 30 minute "how was your week" every 10 days.

I will add a couple new goals as well.

Financial - develop a reliable additional source of income that can grow as effort/time allows that pays more than jamming MTurk surveys
Financial - Contribute 2400 to HSA

Edit: Removed unnecessary details about the counselor whom I am working with.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 1, 2023

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

May Update. Decided to buy a new car this month, so most of these goals are basically shot. This is now more about surveying the damage...

Financial
  • Get emergency fund/liquid cash savings to $2000. - Fund at $405 (up $250 month-over-month). Not on pace.

• Decrease total debt by $20,000 - Total debt UP by $50,400 for the year (up $49,000 month-over-month - hello new car). Goal shot.

• Maintain $0 in CC debt - Goal shot.

Life
  • Lose 50-55 pounds - Monthly average weight down 7.6 pounds from last month, down 40.59 pounds from the beginning of the year. I need to work on leveling off quick or I'm going to end up losing more than 55 pounds, and then I'll have to focus on bulking (for the first time in my life).

• Complete >104 units in Duolingo's Spanish course - 92 units remaining (3 units completed this month). Still enjoying learning Spanish, even if this goal is now shot. I would need to complete >3 units per week to finish this in time, and I've found that going that fast wrecks my retention. Goal shot.

• Read >12 books (at least one in Spanish) - 0 books finished this month (I'm currently slogging through Truman Capote's Other Voices, Other Rooms. I am determined to finish it, even though I now realize that I cannot loving stand Capote). 1 total read for the year. Not on pace.

• Deadlift 400 pounds again - Still haven't maxed out. Still repping out 3x5s at 330#, but I haven't been pushing this number up. Not on pace.

• Run a <10:00 mile again - My best 1 mile run time this month was 11:39, up 9 seconds from last month's best for the year. Gotta focus on this conditioning. Not on pace.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Congrats on the weight goal progress! What kind of car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

moana posted:

Congrats on the weight goal progress! What kind of car?

Thanks! The car is a Miata RF. Not all the new debt was from the car, though I did over-pay. Got a 3 year note at 0.9%, but also ended up agreeing to some extra warranties/gap coverage/service plans that were pretty costly.

It is fly, though...