Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

2023 Financial Goals
  • Annual budget reassessment
  • Max out backdoor Roth IRAs
  • Max HSA
  • Meet company match on 401k
  • 50/month into kids' 529s
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan A goal from last year that I didn't do and really need to.
  • Furnish the basement. Stay under 20k all in This partially started at the end of 2022. 11k spent

2023 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (Stretch goal: 1 in Spanish) 0 of 16 read
  • Exercise 100 times I failed an X days/week goal last year, so maybe total times in a year would be easier to achieve since it's more flexible.
  • Use all of my vacation 0 of 200 hours
  • Reduce unplayed game list to 85% of my backlog I own too many games and most of them are probably poo poo. I want to track it and then clean it up.
  • Take the kids one place new every month We live near a medium-sized city, and we don't explore it nearly enough.
  • Engage more in community I'm not exactly sure how to track this, but I'm a passive bystander in most things I do. I want to engage more with people in the communities I lurk.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Turbinosamente posted:

Hi there game backlog buddy! That's why I stayed the gently caress off the end of year steam sale and have such a low purchase limit for new games in 2023. Still have serious doubts I can beat 5 games though.

I bought one game this sale, but it was exclusively to co-op with my brother, and I know we'll play it through. Most of my backlog is from stupid bundles that I bought like hotcakes when I had my first real taste of disposable income. Just going through and actually getting a handle on what I own will be a big win for me.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 30, 2022

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

January Update

2023 Financial Goals
  • Annual budget reassessment Done. Some minor shifts, but generally, we're pretty good at staying in our budget.
  • Max out backdoor Roth IRAs Done
  • Max HSA On track
  • Meet company match on 401k On track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On track
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan
  • Furnish the basement. Stay under 20k all in 12k spent so far, and we're pretty close to done.

2023 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (Stretch goal: 1 in Spanish) 1 of 16 read*
  • Exercise 100 times 9 of 100
  • Use all of my vacation 0 of 200 hours
  • Reduce unfinished game list to 85% of my backlog by an amount that makes me feel happy. Longer update below**
  • Take the kids one place new every month We took them to the Winnie the Pooh musical at a nearby Performance Arts Center that was really fun.
  • Engage more in community I've left some Discords that I don't ever look at and have improved my participation there. I have been posting slightly more in other parts of SA, too. I've also been randomly texting friends more about silly poo poo. I have a ways to go to feel "engaged," but it's progress.

* I post when I finish a book over in TBB, but I highly recommend The Lies of Locke Lamora. A great, low-fantasy story following a con-man and his friends.

** I went through my backlog (that I keep track of on Backloggery) and recategorized games and removed things I know I'll never play. I have my "unfinished" list down to 83.8%. Now that I have things in order, I'm updating the goal to be more subjective since specific numbers would be challenging to meet (1% of my backlog is 28 games...).

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 1, 2023

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

February Update

2023 Financial Goals
  • Max HSA On track
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan
  • Furnish the basement. Stay under 20k all in Done. 13k spent

2023 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (Stretch goal: 1 in Spanish) 2 of 16 read
  • Exercise 100 times 15 of 100. A week of having / recovering from strep throat put me a bit behind where I wanted to be.
  • Use all of my vacation 8 of 200 hours
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy. 6 more games removed from the list
  • Take the kids one place new every month We brought our kids to the ballet, which they both didn't care for.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 1, 2023

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

EricBauman posted:

• Cook for other people at least once a month
    Had to postpone yet again because of a lot of intestinal bleeding

• At least four hours of exercise every week, measured in fitbit move minutes.
    Still medical reasons that kept me from doing this. Got surgery on a my bleeding intestines, so hopefully everything will be over soon.

I hope your recovery goes swiftly and without complications!

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

All you book readers should post your reads in the "What Did You Just Finish?" thread in TBB if you don't already. It's fun seeing people's thoughts on what they just finished reading, and I've loaded up my library list from goons' reviews.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

March report: Being kinda depressed and lonely leads to some really stupid financial decisions.

Sorry to hear you're down right now. Make sure to reach out to whoever/whatever your support network is and take care of yourself first and always. A quick coffee / online gaming session / whatever with someone you haven't connected with in awhile can do wonders in my experience.

My updates:

March Update

2023 Financial Goals
  • Max HSA On track
  • Meet company match on 401k On track. With my raise this year, I may finally be able to turn this into a "Max 401k" goal. I've always been going well past the company match, but kept it at that in my goals for some reason.
  • Furnish the basement. Stay under 20k all in 13k spent

2023 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (Stretch goal: 1 in Spanish) 5 of 16 read*
  • Exercise 100 times 22 of 100. Slightly behind due to a work trip with minimal free time for exercise.
  • Use all of my vacation 8 of 200 hours + 1 sick day that I'm not including as "vacation"
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy. 7 more games removed from the list
  • Take the kids one place new every month We went to Unicorn World when it was in town. It was very exciting for them - not so much for us.

* Definitely recommend Struck By Genius if you like autobiographies of interesting people you probably have never heard of.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 1, 2023

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Pipistrelle posted:

6. Rollover old 401(k)s and HSAs - 1 transfer completed, 2 to go. Got the details on forms/instructions on how to do a second one, but they won’t do a custodian to custodian transfer, I have to receive and then send on the check. This always makes me nervous so I’ve been putting it off…

I've done the non-custodial transfer twice. I can definitely understand the hesitance of that much money floating around as a piece of paper. If you hadn't planned on it when you do it, make sure to go to the post office when you're finishing the transfer and send the check via certified mail with all the tracking and junk. Adds the extra piece of mind to the transfer.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

April Update

2023 Financial Goals
  • Max HSA On track
  • Furnish the basement. Stay under 20k all in 13k total

2023 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (Stretch goal: 1 in Spanish) 6 of 16 read*
  • Exercise 100 times 31 of 100
  • Use all of my vacation 12 of 200 hours + 1 sick day that I'm not including as "vacation"
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy. 2 more games removed from the list
  • Take the kids one place new every month We took the kids to the museum downtown. While we've been there before, they have a temporary Lego exhibit that is new, which was a lot of fun.

* What If? 2 was a very funny read.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Pipistrelle posted:

6. Rollover old 401(k)s and HSAs - 2 transfers completed, 1 to look into. - Also shout-out to Good-Natured Filth for the suggestion to send the check certified, it was enough to get me over my mental block and the transfer has been completed :toot:

It's a big accomplishment to move that much money and definitely sets you up to more easily track against some of your other goals! Congrats!

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Question to my fellow goal-setters. This is my first year actually doing a good job sticking to my exercise goal, and I want that trend to continue. I have work travel and vacation coming up, and I fear it's going to impact my adherence because I won't have access to my treadmill which is the main reason I think I've been good at sticking to my goal. How do you all keep on the exercise routine when away from home (either for work or vacation)?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

May Update

2023 Financial Goals
  • Max HSA On track

2023 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (Stretch goal: 1 in Spanish) 10 of 16 read
  • Exercise 100 times 39 of 100
  • Use all of my vacation 20 of 200 hours + 1 sick day that I'm not including as "vacation"
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy. 1 more game removed from the list
  • Take the kids one place new every month We took the kids to see the Frozen musical. Our son was antsy, but our daughter was entranced.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

June Update

2023 Financial Goals
  • Max HSA On track

2023 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (Stretch goal: 1 in Spanish) 11 of 16 read*
  • Exercise 100 times 48 of 100
  • Use all of my vacation 76 of 200 hours + 1 sick day and 1 condolence day that I'm not including as "vacation"
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy. 0 games removed from the list. That's because all of my game time is focused on the new Zelda which is super enjoyable, so I'm fine with it.
  • Take the kids one place new every month We went to Florida for vacation and visited several new places they haven't been. It was a good mix of relaxation and adventure.

* I'm still not sure I liked the last book I read, but it's stuck with me.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

July Update

2023 Financial Goals
  • Max backdoor Roth IRAs
  • Max HSA On track
  • Meet company match on Max 401k On track

2023 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (Stretch goal: 1 in Spanish) 14 of 16 read
  • Exercise 100 times 59 of 100
  • Use all of my vacation 88 of 200 hours (+ 1 sick day and 1 condolence day that I'm not including as "vacation")
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy. Still focused on the new Zelda which I'm happy about.
  • Take the kids one place new every month We visited some friends out of state which was a nice weekend trip.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

August Update

2023 Financial Goals
  • Max backdoor Roth IRAs
  • Max HSA On track
  • Meet company match on 401k Stretch goal: Max 401k On track

2023 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (Stretch goal: 1 in Spanish) 18 of 16 read
  • Exercise 100 times 68 of 100
  • Use all of my vacation 120 of 200 hours (+ 1 sick day and 1 condolence day that I'm not including as "vacation")
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy. Removed 5 more games.
  • Take the kids one place new every month The Red Bull Flugtag was in town, so we went. It was a very hot and humid day, but the kids had fun.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 1, 2023

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

September Update

2023 Financial Goals
  • Max backdoor Roth IRAs
  • Max HSA On track
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan Have documents drafted by a lawyer. Need to review and sign.

2023 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (Stretch goal: 1 in Spanish) 21 of 16 read
  • Exercise 100 times 78 of 100
  • Use all of my vacation 124 of 200 hours (+ 1 sick day and 1 condolence day that I'm not including as "vacation")
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy. Removed 6 more games.
  • Take the kids one place new every month The Big Bounce America was in town, so we went. The day had perfect weather, and it wasn't too crowded. We had a blast! We also took our kids to a roller derby because an old friend from college had joined a team. That was not fun for the kids (or me, really).

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

October Update

2023 Financial Goals
  • Max backdoor Roth IRAs
  • Max HSA On track
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan Finally done. 8 years later than we should've done it. $44 out of pocket for some filing not covered by insurance.

2023 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (Stretch goal: 1 in Spanish) 22 of 16 read
  • Exercise 100 times 87 of 100
  • Use all of my vacation 140 of 200 hours (+ 1 sick day and 1 condolence day that I'm not including as "vacation")
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy. Removed 3 more games.
  • Take the kids one place new every month This month was packed.*

* We did a lot around the city with our kids this month. It was really great having this family time, and I'm forever grateful to live near a city that has opportunities like this because I certainly didn't growing up in a rural area.
  • The Children's Theater presented a revised version of SpongeBob SquarePants The Musical that was really good.
  • The Symphony Orchestra had a limited engagement performing a concert for Disney's 100th anniversary. The kids enjoyed watching the accompanying screen which showed synced clips from Disney movies more than the actual music, but the orchestra was very good. I hadn't been to an orchestral performance in a decade, and it was great to get back.
  • We went to the zoo for the first time in a couple years. The kids actually enjoyed looking at animals this time around. When we went before, all they cared about was climbing rocks.
  • Ringling Bros. came to town, so we went to the circus. Past controversies aside, the new focus on human performances and complete removal of animals is really good. The spectacle is awesome and the sheer talent being shown is very impressive. I would have enjoyed this without kids.
  • We also ate at several nicer restaurants while we were out for these events, which our kids are not always great with. But they were perfect every time.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

November Update

2023 Financial Goals
  • Max backdoor Roth IRAs
  • Max HSA On track

2023 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (Stretch goal: 1 in Spanish) 24 of 16 read. Met my stretch goal by reading a book of short stories in Spanish that was no good. However, Thick as Theives was good.
  • Exercise 100 times 94 of 100
  • Use all of my vacation 144 of 200 hours (+ 1 sick day and 1 condolence day that I'm not including as "vacation") Even after Christmas plans, I'm not going to hit this goal this year. But I can rollover 40 hours to use within the first quarter of the following year, and we have a vacation planned during the kids' spring break that coincides nicely with the rollovers.
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy. Removed 3 more games.
  • Take the kids one place new every month We went to the rollerskating rink during Thanksgiving break. Lots of fun.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

EOYUpdate

2023 Financial Goals
  • Max backdoor Roth IRAs
  • Max HSA
  • Meet company match on 401k Stretch goal: Max 401k Not quite there because I forgot that the max increased substantially in 2023. But it's the closest I've ever been to maxing, which is pretty exciting.
  • 50/month into kids' 529s Added some Christmas cash from relatives this year as well.

2023 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books (Stretch goal: 1 in Spanish) 25 of 16 read. Bea Wolf was outstanding. My daughter showed me up and read 133 books this year. I'm a proud dad. :3:
  • Exercise 100 times 102 of 100
  • Use all of my vacation 176 of 200 hours (+ 1 sick day and 1 condolence day that I'm not including as "vacation") I have 3 days left that I'm rolling over to use for a Spring Break vacation next year.
  • Reduce unfinished game list by an amount that makes me feel happy. Removed 2 more games. A pretty good year finishing (or trying and dropping) games - 35 total.
  • Take the kids one place new every month Took the kids to a Nutcracker performance by a local dance club. They were very bored (as was I).

Not a bad year.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 28, 2023