Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Tibalt posted:

Financial Goals:
Continue to max out my 401k On Track
Support my spouse to max out her 401k New goal below
Help my spouse set up a retirement solution Waiting on this
Pay off at least half of home renovation loans. Loan has increased, but still on track
Support my spouse to set up her private practice full time Done
Cut our discretionary spending back by 5% ($150/month) Done

Personal Goals:
Take better care of my physical and mental health ...We'll see
Upgrade my first job (job search, interview, etc.) Done
Publish something On Track

Well, some things are going well - I negotiated a 35% raise for job 1 that'll be effective in April, so that's a big step taken care of. We also cut back on discretionary spending by quite a bit. The less good news is that my spouse was fired from her job before she had the private practice set up, so ready or not, I'm supporting her move to full-time private practice effectively immediately. The home renovation budget has also ballooned by 30% after we made decided to expand the scope of the renovation, which I don't regret but has put a lot of extra pressure on us.

But, I'm still on track to max out my 401k, and while I'll need to figure out a retirement solution for my wife, that can wait until she's settled in and the practice is up and running. We'll probably go with a traditional IRA and set up some automatic payments. And while I'm certainly feeling like money is tight at the moment, that's going to go away once I'm not trying to fill the hole in the renovation budget, my raise goes into effect, and I get my annual bonus. Lots of time between now and the end of the year, and all the goals are still easily achievable.

Sticking my nose in here, but when I ran a practice I was lazy and did the trad IRA route and the tax benefits were garbage. In hindsight, a solo 401k is 1000% better and is available to her if she can prove she’s running her business. Just something to look in to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU