Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Good OP, OP. You did it! :toot:

I'm fortunate that things are pretty well on autopilot for my wife and I.

Financial
Max various retirement accounts incl 401(k), IRA, HSA
Contribute $2K to 529 in order to maximize state income tax benefits.
Save at least $60K towards house down payment
Identify an accountant in case tax situation gets much more complex in 2023
Migrate our stupid low yield CD that's up in January in to a T-Bill ladder or something similar.
$10K I-Bond purchase

Nonfinancial
Go skiing 10 days in the year
Use all my vacation time
Read 25 books
Exercise 150+ days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I had to read Ethan Frome as a kid and hated it. I wonder how I would react to it as an adult.

I read Conrad's Nostromo which I liked a lot.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I really loved the Water Knife.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Good OP, OP. You did it! :toot:

I'm fortunate that things are pretty well on autopilot for my wife and I.

Financial
Max various retirement accounts incl 401(k), IRAs, HSA
Contribute $2K to 529 in order to maximize state income tax benefits.
Save at least $60K towards house down payment
Identify an accountant in case tax situation gets much more complex in 2023
Migrate our stupid low yield CD that's up in January in to a T-Bill ladder or something similar.
$10K I-Bond purchase

Nonfinancial
Go skiing or snowshoe 10 days in the year
Use all my vacation time
Read 25 books and track the reading of them in goodreads or a similar app
Exercise 150+ days

I'm adjusting my goals to include actually tracking the god drat books I read

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Financial
Max various retirement accounts incl 401(k), IRA, HSA - All on pace
Contribute $2K to 529 in order to maximize state income tax benefits. - Not done yet
Save at least $60K towards house down payment - $58K/$60K
Identify an accountant in case tax situation gets much more complex in 2023 - not done yet
Migrate our stupid low yield CD that's up in January in to a T-Bill ladder or something similar - not done yet, it's just sitting in HYSA for now
$10K I-Bond purchase not done yet

Nonfinancial
Go skiing 10 days in the year - 1/10 days, not on pace. Have 8 upcoming in the schedeule. lousy winter in New England; nothing
Use all my vacation time - 0 used, not on pace. 3/25 to be used in March
Read 25 books - 4/25, on pace
Exercise 150+ days - 21/25, not on pace

Need to buckle down and get some things done in March, particularly catch back up with exercise goal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 1, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you want test users for your time tracking app I’d potentially be interested - presuming it’s oriented towards tracking project / billable time and not some kind of personal time tracking app.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sure we'll do March:

Financial
Contribute $2K to 529 in order to maximize state income tax benefits. - Done
Save at least $60K towards house down payment - Done, will add to this over the course of the year
Identify an accountant in case tax situation gets much more complex in 2023 - not done yet
Migrate our stupid low yield CD that's up in January in to a T-Bill ladder or something similar - Combo of 13 week held T-Bills and SGOV for fun. Will add to this over the course of the year
$10K I-Bond purchase not done yet

Nonfinancial
Go skiing 10 days in the year - 9/10 days It's supposed to snow this week. This weekend is probably my last shot.
Use all my PTO time - 3/25 used in March so I'm not on pace but I've at least used some
Read 25 books - 5/25 not on pace
Exercise 150+ days - 36/38 not on pace

Caught up a bit on exercise but still just off the pace.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

April

Financial
Save at least $60K towards house down payment - Done, will add to this over the course of the year
Migrate our stupid low yield CD that's up in January in to a T-Bill ladder or something similar - Combo of 13 week held T-Bills and SGOV for fun. Will add to this over the course of the year
$10K I-Bond purchase done in April lol oops

Nonfinancial
Go skiing 10 days in the year - 9/10 days I guess I could get a couple in in December
Use all my PTO time - 3/25 not great!
Read 25 books - 5/25 not on pace although i'm in the middle of two and pretty close.
Exercise 150+ days - 50/50 on pace!

Caught up on exercise, way behind on books. got owned by the new I-Bond fixed rate. Mostly just need to figure out an accountant, I'll probably start looking at the end of May since I believe that is when things start to slow down for those guys.

edit: realized i forgot to update my exercise number.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 5, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I run about 120 nights in hotels a year, mostly for work. Been doing that for about 12 years, in both consistent places (the classic M-R consultant four days a week on site, same site every week deal), and inconsistent places (right now, I go to like six or seven places somewhat regularly with some additional chaos).

Good news for you is that if you're on a treadmill, most decent hotels will have a hotel gym with treadmills. The challenge is making time and making it a habit. I find it much easier to make exercise a part of my work travel routine. On the road for work is just like home for work - you have to establish a routine and get your exercise in. Decide on what schedule makes sense and stick to it. At home I work out after work but on the road I do it in the morning, because on the road there's always client dinners and other evening bullshit, plus you'll probably be drained from whatever work stuff you gotta do.

For vacation, I usually substitute. On vacation I like to walk around a lot so I do that, or depending on where it is I'll find something active to make part of my vacation (a short hike, paddle boarding, rent bikes for a few hours, whatever). But I'm not trying to get in like a swim, or a real run, or yoga, or free weights like I would at home. If you're mostly doing treadmill, I'd try to substitute a decent walk or hike or something like that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

christ cancel all that poo poo while you still can other than maybe gap

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sorry you got laid off but sounds like it aligned pretty well with your plans.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

June. Making some additions and updates since we are now expecting kyoon griffey the third early in the new year

Financial
Max various retirement accounts incl 401(k), IRA, HSA - All on pace, adding wife's new 457 for new job
Save at least $60K towards house down payment - Done, will add to this over the course of the year.
$10K I-Bond purchase done in April lol oops
Figure out how to use DCA benefits for future daycare costs - not done yet
Get term life set up for both of us - not done yet

Nonfinancial
Go skiing 10 days in the year - 9/10 days I guess I could get a couple in in December
Use all my PTO time - 4/2520 not great! Adjusting this goal to carry over five days for when KG3 comes.
Read 25 books - 12/25 pretty much back on pace.
Exercise 150+ days - 76/75 on pace!
Set up KG3 room and infrastructure - not yet
Get on some daycare waitlists for KG3 - not yet

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think switching away from a NW goal is a good idea. It’s not really in your control. On the one hand in a bull market you can hit the goal without changing any behavior at all! But in a bear market, you can crank up the savings rate and still miss. I shifted a little while back and instead focused on an absolute savings rate goal, which is much more within my control.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

July
Financial
Max various retirement accounts incl 401(k), IRA, HSA - All on pace, adding wife's new 457 for new job
Save at least $60K towards house down payment - Done
Migrate our stupid low yield CD that's up in January in to a T-Bill ladder or something similar Done
$10K I-Bond purchase - Done
Figure out how to use DCA benefits for future daycare costs - Done, will complete DCA forms at open enrollment event when KG3 born

Nonfinancial
Use all my PTO time - 5/20 Not great, but have at least seven more on the books already, not counting holiday time
Read 25 books - 12/25 falling behind
Exercise 150+ days - 92/88 on pace!
Set up KG3 room and infrastructure - not yet
Get on some daycare waitlists for KG3 - Done 8-9 month wait lmao

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

September
Financial
Save at least $60K towards house down payment - Done
Supplemental: save an additional $15K towards house down payment by EOY.
Identify an accountant in case tax situation gets much more complex in 2023 - killing this off because this is now a 2024 problem
Migrate our stupid low yield CD that's up in January in to a T-Bill ladder or something similar Done
$10K I-Bond purchase - Done
Figure out how to use DCA benefits for future daycare costs - Done, will complete DCA forms at open enrollment event when KG3 born

Nonfinancial
Use all my PTO time - 7/20 Not great, but have at least eight more on the books already, not counting holiday time, which should get me there.
Read 25 books - 15/25 falling behind more! I read The White Ship by Charles Spencer (good, interesting time period, suffers from the problem of Too Many People to keep track of and insufficient focus), Ithaca by Claire North (excellent in parts, premise is somewhat derivative [Madeline Miller did it better/first] but unique enough, ending is unsatisfying and insufficiently Greek), The Towers of Trebizond by Rose Macaulay (classic; very English). Going on a lazy vacation and should be able to bang out a few more to catch up in October.
Exercise 150+ days - 114/113 on pace!
Set up KG3 room and infrastructure - not finished but made some good progress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Semi-triumphant EOY update
Financial
Max various retirement accounts incl 401(k), IRA, HSA, wife pension, wife 457 - Done. Feels good to have contributed about $50k (without matching) to retirement accounts, and we should manage a bit more next year! My 401k match is going up so that's nice, too.
Contribute $2K to 529 in order to maximize state income tax benefits. - Done, we ended up contributing $10.1K.
Save at least $60K towards house down payment. - Done,
Supplemental: save an additional $15K towards house down payment by EOY. - Done, ended up at $81.5K
Identify an accountant in case tax situation gets much more complex in 2023, - killing this off because this is now a 2024 problem I really need to get going on this
Migrate our stupid low yield CD that's up in January in to a T-Bill ladder or something similar, Done
$10K I-Bond purchase, - Done
Figure out how to use DCA benefits for future daycare costs, - Done, will complete DCA forms at open enrollment event when KG3 born
Get term life set up for both of us, - Done

Nonfinancial
Go skiing 10 days in the year - 9/10 days December sucked rear end for skiing in the Northeast and I wasn't willing to drop time and money just to nominally close this out.
Use all my PTO time - 17/20 Due to some chaos I wasn't able to use all of it, but at least I get it rolled in to next year.
Read 25 books - 22/25 Added a few novels and some parenting books, but came up short.
Exercise 150+ days - 136/150 Not good enough! I will need to back this down next year anyway, but it was a disappointing finish to the year.
Set up KG3 room and infrastructure - Done enough to support KG3s's basic needs

As usual did fine on the financial and not so well on the non-financial. I will need to make adjustments for the impending lifestyle change in 2024.