Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Going to post this now, but will probably edit it up until New Year's Day, when I'll consider it locked...
edit: Okay, calling this locked now. Added some details so that when I update through the year I'll be able to remember details.

Financial
  • Get emergency fund/liquid cash savings to $2000. - Fund at $1000 now, just need to repeat what I did in 2022 and will be set.
  • Decrease total debt by $20,000 - Total debt level (all currently in loans, mostly student loans) is $63,453. If Biden's forgiveness goes through, I won't count that $10k extra reduction towards this $20k goal.
  • Max out company match on 401k - On auto with payroll deduction.
  • Max out my work's charity donation matching. (For real this time!) - On auto with monthly donation set up.
  • Put down the 50% deposit on villa rental for 2024 Costa Rica trip (stretch goal: also buy the plane tickets). - Waiting for the resort to open up reservations for Summer 2024.
  • Maintain $0 in CC debt - Holidays didn't help here, but it's still at $0.

Life
  • Lose 50-55 pounds (Got a Wegovy prescription from my endocrinologist, so I'll have a lot of help on this one. This also works for the new year's goals because it's currently back-ordered and probably won't arrive until January. Also, 55 pounds is the maximum that I'd want to lose, so part of this goal will be to keep under that limit) - Still no word on the Wegovy. Need to sort out my eating before it arrives or else I'm going to be spending a bunch of money on drugs that won't be too effective.
  • Complete >104 units in Duolingo's Spanish course - Currently on unit 6 as this starts, so finishing unit 110 is the goal.
  • Read >12 books (at least one in Spanish) - Pretty straightforward.
  • Deadlift 400 pounds again - Currently doing sets of 5 at 330# on a trap bar. For this to count I'll have to use a regular barbell, so I need to start training on that.
  • Run <10:00 miles again - Last mile time was <15 minutes. My cardio is complete dogshit right now.
  • Take an actual vacation (as in, at least 3 days of PTO and going to another city) - Booked a trip to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. Will see if work doesn't have a crisis.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

moana posted:

Hey fellow book goal people, what are some of the best ones you've read recently? I'd like to start 2023 out with some good reads.

The most impactful book I read this year was Edith Wharton's Ethan Frome. It's a nice short read, with an absolute gut-punch of an ending.
Morgan G. Ames's The Charisma Machine was a tougher read, since it was a very academically-focused text, but it really helped to explain how people get sucked into tech utopianism scams. Her framework of Charismatic Technology is really helpful when you can kinda feel like something is bs but are having a hard time putting it into words.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Woof. This was a very BWM month. Put down a bunch of money for my February trip to New Orleans and my 2024 Costa Rica trip, bought most of the materials for an installation art project I'll be debuting in May, and then had some unexpected car repairs come up. In theory I've done most of my splurging for the first half of the year already, so if I can keep my spending down for the next few months these goals won't fall out of reach.

Financial
  • Get emergency fund/liquid cash savings to $2000. - Fund down to $100, rebuilding phase begins now.
  • Decrease total debt by $20,000 - Debt down just a touch over $300. Not on pace.
  • Max out company match on 401k - Still on auto.
  • Max out my work's charity donation matching. (For real this time!) - Still on auto.
  • Put down the 50% deposit on villa rental for 2024 Costa Rica trip (stretch goal: also buy the plane tickets). - Reservations for 2024 opened the second week of January. I got one week reserved and put down the 50% deposit. Plane tickets won't happen until December at the earliest.
  • Maintain $0 in CC debt - Managed to stay at $0 here, just barely. Maybe on pace.

Life
  • Lose 50-55 pounds - Monthly average weight for January was down 4.2 pounds from monthly average weight in December. Wegovy rx was delayed because of pharmacy and insurance gently caress-ups, but I have confirmed that it will be in my hands on February 1st.
  • Complete >104 units in Duolingo's Spanish course - Finished unit 9. Technically, unit 1 of course 2. Duolingo changed their layout for the lessons so now they don't all have continuous unit numbering between courses, so I can't just say "finish unit 110" now, I have to finish unit 25 of course 5 (Intermediate Spanish 1).
  • Read >12 books (at least one in Spanish) - Not on pace.
  • Deadlift 400 pounds again - Haven't maxed out this month, but repping out 5x330# still.
  • Run <10:00 miles again - Haven't run a full mile yet this year. Not on pace (literally).
  • Take an actual vacation (as in, at least 3 days of PTO and going to another city) - Work is still good with my New Orleans trip, and all tickets/hotel have been paid for. Gonna do what Professor Longhair suggested...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9zYM1D3cLk

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

February report: Another BWM month. It turns out that vacations are expensive, y'all.

Financial
  • Get emergency fund/liquid cash savings to $2000. - Fund at $225 (up $125 month-over-month). Not on pace.
  • Decrease total debt by $20,000 - Total debt down by $1100 for the year so far (down $800 month-over-month). Not on pace.
  • Max out my work's charity donation matching. (For real this time!) - Still on auto.
  • Put down the 50% deposit on villa rental for 2024 Costa Rica trip (stretch goal: also buy the plane tickets). - Done. (plane tickets tbd)
  • Maintain $0 in CC debt - CC debt sitting around $700 (Up $700 month-over-month). Once again, vacations are expensive.

Life
  • Lose 50-55 pounds - Holy poo poo. Wegovy is no joke, y'all. I started it on the second of this month and my monthly average weight for February was down 17.5 pounds from the monthly average weight in December (down 13.45 pounds month-over-month from January average). The actual challenge for this one is going to be making sure that I don't lose more than 55 pounds by the end of the year.
  • Complete >104 units in Duolingo's Spanish course - 99 units remaining (3 units completed this month). I need to complete 2-3 units per week to hit this goal. Not on pace.
  • Read >12 books (at least one in Spanish) - 1 book read. (Sarah Vowell's The Wordy Shipmates, which was a very interesting read but also completely stuck in the Bush administration.) Not on pace.
  • Deadlift 400 pounds again - Still haven't maxed out, but still repping 3x5s at 330# pretty comfortably. So far the weight loss hasn't been accompanied by a loss of strength, but I really need to max out here soon so I can get an idea for just how far I need to go to hit this goal.
  • Run a <10:00 mile again - My best 1 mile run time so far this year was timed at 13:14. This is extremely bad, but it's better than not running at all.
  • Take an actual vacation (as in, at least 3 days of PTO and going to another city) - Took the train to New Orleans and saw the Mardi Gras. Nearly died. Done.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

March report: Being kinda depressed and lonely leads to some really stupid financial decisions.

Financial
  • Get emergency fund/liquid cash savings to $2000. - Fund back down to $105 (down $120 month-over-month). Not on pace.

• Decrease total debt by $20,000 - Total debt UP by $600 for the year (up $1700 month-over-month). Not on pace.

• Put down the 50% deposit on villa rental for 2024 Costa Rica trip (stretch goal: also buy the plane tickets). - Done in January. (plane tickets tbd)

• Maintain $0 in CC debt - Paid a 5% transfer fee ($400) for a 0% interest rate balance transfer to close out a high-interest loan and put the debt on one of my CCs. The loan was at 9.2% interest, so I'll be saving a tiny bit of money as long as I can get everything paid off before the 0% rate shoots up on January 1st. CC debt now sitting at $8050 (Up $7350 month-over-month). Not on pace.

Life
  • Lose 50-55 pounds - Still riding the Wegovy train, and March's average weight was down 30.2 pounds from the monthly average weight in December (down 12.5 pounds month-over-month from February average). Fortunately, it seems the pace of weight loss is starting to slow down, so I should be able to keep from losing more than 55 lbs as long as I keep to my weight training.

• Complete >104 units in Duolingo's Spanish course - 96 units remaining (only 3 units completed this month). Falling really far behind here. I must complete 3 units per week next month or it's time to admit that this goal won't be met. Not on pace.

• Read >12 books (at least one in Spanish) - 0 books finished this month, 1 total read for the year. Not on pace.

• Deadlift 400 pounds again - Still haven't maxed out. Not on pace.

• Run a <10:00 mile again - My best 1 mile run time so far this year was timed at 13:02. (Down 12 seconds from last month.) Not on pace.

• Take an actual vacation (as in, at least 3 days of PTO and going to another city) - Done in February.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

April Update. Still pretty BWM. Tried to sooth my troubles with a lot of fine dining and partying this month. That didn't really work, so now I need to buckle down.

Financial
  • Get emergency fund/liquid cash savings to $2000. - Fund still at $155 (up $50 month-over-month). Not on pace.

• Decrease total debt by $20,000 - Total debt UP by $1400 for the year (up $800 month-over-month). Not on pace.

• Put down the 50% deposit on villa rental for 2024 Costa Rica trip (stretch goal: also buy the plane tickets). - Done in January. (plane tickets tbd)

• Maintain $0 in CC debt - Just...just...Not on pace.

Life
  • Lose 50-55 pounds - Monthly average weight down 2.79 pounds from last month, down 32.99 pounds from the beginning of the year. At a good pace now to hit the goal weight (without losing too much) by end of year.

• Complete >104 units in Duolingo's Spanish course - 95 units remaining (only 1 units completed this month). Definitely set this goal too high, and it's very unlikely I'll hit it. But I'm going to keep studying because I am learning some Spanish and that's better than not learning any at all. Not on pace.

• Read >12 books (at least one in Spanish) - 0 books finished this month, 1 total read for the year. Not on pace.

• Run a <10:00 mile again - My best 1 mile run time so far this year was timed at 11:30. (Down 92 seconds from previous best.) Almost on pace.

• Take an actual vacation (as in, at least 3 days of PTO and going to another city) - Done in February.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

May Update. Decided to buy a new car this month, so most of these goals are basically shot. This is now more about surveying the damage...

Financial
  • Get emergency fund/liquid cash savings to $2000. - Fund at $405 (up $250 month-over-month). Not on pace.

• Decrease total debt by $20,000 - Total debt UP by $50,400 for the year (up $49,000 month-over-month - hello new car). Goal shot.

• Maintain $0 in CC debt - Goal shot.

Life
  • Lose 50-55 pounds - Monthly average weight down 7.6 pounds from last month, down 40.59 pounds from the beginning of the year. I need to work on leveling off quick or I'm going to end up losing more than 55 pounds, and then I'll have to focus on bulking (for the first time in my life).

• Complete >104 units in Duolingo's Spanish course - 92 units remaining (3 units completed this month). Still enjoying learning Spanish, even if this goal is now shot. I would need to complete >3 units per week to finish this in time, and I've found that going that fast wrecks my retention. Goal shot.

• Read >12 books (at least one in Spanish) - 0 books finished this month (I'm currently slogging through Truman Capote's Other Voices, Other Rooms. I am determined to finish it, even though I now realize that I cannot loving stand Capote). 1 total read for the year. Not on pace.

• Deadlift 400 pounds again - Still haven't maxed out. Still repping out 3x5s at 330#, but I haven't been pushing this number up. Not on pace.

• Run a <10:00 mile again - My best 1 mile run time this month was 11:39, up 9 seconds from last month's best for the year. Gotta focus on this conditioning. Not on pace.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

moana posted:

Congrats on the weight goal progress! What kind of car?

Thanks! The car is a Miata RF. Not all the new debt was from the car, though I did over-pay. Got a 3 year note at 0.9%, but also ended up agreeing to some extra warranties/gap coverage/service plans that were pretty costly.

It is fly, though...

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

June Update. Slowly crawling out of the financial crater that is a new car purchase.

Financial
  • Get emergency fund/liquid cash savings to $2000. - Fund at $300 (down $105 month-over-month). Not on pace.

• Decrease total debt by $20,000 - Total debt up $48,050 for the year (down $2,350 month-over-month). Goal shot.

Life
  • Lose 50-55 pounds - Monthly average weight down 7.8 pounds from last month, down 48.39 pounds from the beginning of the year. Actually ran out of Wegovy yesterday (these shortages are a motherfucker), and while my pharmacy is estimating that more might be available next week, they've been saying "next week" for the past three weeks. So I'll be dealing with the come-down off of that, and hopefully maintaining my current weight through it.

• Complete >104 units in Duolingo's Spanish course - 90 units remaining (2 units completed this month). Still going, even though: Goal shot.

• Read >12 books (at least one in Spanish) - 1 book finished this month. I finally completed Truman Capote's Other Voices, Other Rooms. I still hate Capote, even if chapter 8 of the book is good enough to almost make up for the rest of it being so bad. 2 total read for the year. Not on pace.

• Run a <10:00 mile again - My best 1 mile run time this month was 11:07, down 32 seconds from last month's best and down 27 seconds from my previous best for the year. Almost on pace.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

July Update. At this point I'm just doing this as self-flagellation.

I gave a friend $2000 on a handshake agreement that he would pay me back all that + extra on September 1st. The money was to let him upgrade one of the vending machines that he operates to a new unit that takes CC payments. He had avoided having CC-capable machines for a long time but when one of his older machines died the only unit he could replace it with was CC-capable. After the upgrade he was shocked at how much more money the new machine was pulling in, and that was at one of his weaker locations. So he realized he needed some more money to upgrade the machine at one of his more lucrative locations. My cash helped him do that upgrade. Come September 1st I'll either get all my money back, he'll ghost me, or he'll try to press me to fold that money in with some more of my cash to buy a whole new machine/location. He's already floated the idea of me buying a new machine/location where I'd put up the initial capital, he/his company would service/operate the machine, and we would split the income 60/40 in my favor. We'll see what ends up happening.

Financial
  • Get emergency fund/liquid cash savings to $2000. - Fund at $105 (down $185 month-over-month). Goal shot.

• Decrease total debt by $20,000 - Total debt up $47,000 for the year (down $1,050 month-over-month). Goal shot.

Life
  • Lose 50-55 pounds - July average weight was down 44.5 pounds from beginning of year. This is up 3.85 pounds from last month. The Wegovy shortage hit me hard and I ended up off the stuff for the majority of this month. I can definitely feel the struggle to maintain the weight loss when my sense of hunger was climbing back to its old, insanely-high level. Fortunately, I'm back on a new dose now and things are starting to drop again. On pace.

• Complete >104 units in Duolingo's Spanish course - 87 units remaining (3 units completed this month). Goal shot, but I'm having fun.

• Read >12 books (at least one in Spanish) - 1 book finished this month. I read André Leon Talley's The Chiffon Trenches. An absolutely amazing and essential read if you want to truly understand the fashion world. 3 books read for the year. Not on pace.

• Deadlift 400 pounds again - Finally had a day where I actually maxed this out. Current 1 rep max is 365#. It's a bit lower than I hoped, but I think I can make up those last 35# in the next 5 months. Almost on pace.

• Run a <10:00 mile again - Haven't beaten last month's best time of 11:07. It's hot as gently caress down here and it's hard to run outside. Gonna keep going, though, and hopefully the numbers will improve once it cools down in October. Kinda on pace.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

August Update. Turns out helping out my friend with his vending machine situation was a good idea. Got back everything he promised, which means I'm starting September on a good foot.

Financial
  • Get emergency fund/liquid cash savings to $2000. - Fund at $110 (up a mere $5 month-over-month). Goal shot.

• Decrease total debt by $20,000 - Total debt up $32000 the year. Down $15,000 month-over-month. (I'm counting the $12k in forgiven student debt even though I said I wouldn't, because it's not like I stuck to much else I said I'd do this year and I could use any good news I've got). Goal shot.

• Put down the 50% deposit on villa rental for 2024 Costa Rica trip (stretch goal: also buy the plane tickets). - Done in January. (plane tickets tbd) Now everyone else in the group is thinking they're gonna pull out of the trip. The deposit isn't refundable, so I'm debating if I'm going to put another group together, do the trip solo, or just cut my losses.

Life
  • Lose 50-55 pounds - August average weight was down 45.8 pounds from beginning of year. This is down 1.3 pounds from last month. Took a while to reverse course after a month without Wegovy, but things are now back on track, and I'm looking pretty good to hit my goal without overshooting by the end of the year. On pace.

• Complete >104 units in Duolingo's Spanish course - 87 units remaining (0 units completed this month, mostly did word-match and some listening/pronunciation practice). Goal shot, but I'm still having fun.

• Read >12 books (at least one in Spanish) - 1 book finished this month. I read This Is How You Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone. A very good read that first seemed like it was going to be a bit too try-hard but ended up very moving and effective. 4 books read for the year. Not on pace.

• Deadlift 400 pounds again - Really fell off my workouts and didn't max out this month, so 365# is still my best for the year. Not on pace.

• Run a <10:00 mile again - Still haven't beaten July's best time of 11:07. The heat has still been absolutely oppressive. I need to move from running once a week to twice a week if I want to close this gap. Not on pace.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

September-November Update. Basically hosed on almost everything but I might as well write it down.

Financial
  • Get emergency fund/liquid cash savings to $2000. - Fund at $250. Goal shot.

• Decrease total debt by $20,000 - Total debt up $42,200 for the year. Goal shot.

• Max out company match on 401k - Goal shot.

• Put down the 50% deposit on villa rental for 2024 Costa Rica trip (stretch goal: also buy the plane tickets). - Done in January, but trip was cancelled when my friends bailed due to life stuff. Now trying to get a different friend to take the reservation over so I can get back some of the money I put down.

Life
  • Lose 50-55 pounds - November average weight was down 64 pounds from beginning of year. Overshot this goal. At this point I'm trying to focus on body composition and regaining some of the muscle that was lost along with the fat.

• Complete >104 units in Duolingo's Spanish course - Duolingo completely re-arranged their units earlier this year and made this goal kind of obsolete. I'm much better at Spanish now than I was in January, at least, and I want to keep getting better at it. Goal shot, but I'm having fun.

• Read >12 books (at least one in Spanish) - 4 books read for the year. Goal shot.

• Deadlift 400 pounds again - Current 1 rep max is still 365#. It's extremely hard to gain strength while also cutting so much weight. Gonna go ahead and declare goal shot.

• Run a <10:00 mile again - Best mile so far is 10:50. This one might actually be possible if I actually bear down and work at it over the next couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Turbinosamente posted:

November Update

Mostly mad about my spending this month; can only do better next month/year. Speaking of, if no one beats me to it I can start up next year's soon ish when I'm next at a desktop. I've got no clever ideas for a thread title so I'll take any suggestions.

Financial Goals 2024: But I mean for real this time...