Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Gooooooooals!

Three words for 2023 are: compassion, positivity, art.

General goals:
- Keep track of all financial activity in an overall spreadsheet to make end of year planning easier
- Go back to using a spreadsheet to track discretionary purchases
- Make sure we're hitting 10% of total expenses as charitable expenses
- Read 100 books
- Make pottery and build pit in backyard to try out reduction pit firing

Garden goals:
- Get compost for garden (Jan)
- Plant a bunch of pumpkins (March/April)
- Plant flowers for cut garden on top of leach field (April)
- Get curly willow cuttings and make wreaths to dry out (April/May)
- Do mother's day succulent pots for neighborhood (May)
- Get more blackberry cuttings and plant them up in front yard (May/June)
- Do at least 20 hoshigaki (September/October)
- Don't buy any more houseplants. Keep the ones I have alive. Split some to give away as presents.

DIY goals:
- Build loft in garage (Jan/Feb)
- Hire out electrician (Feb)
- Insulate and build floor (Feb)
- Hire dry wall guys (March)
- Restain the back deck (March)
- Paint garage (March)

Will come back later to edit but this is a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Hey fellow book goal people, what are some of the best ones you've read recently? I'd like to start 2023 out with some good reads.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Aight, I love Edith Wharton's Age of Innocence and also The Custom of the Country so I'll start with Frome, since I'm pretty sure I read it back in high school and didn't appreciate it enough. I put the other ones on hold through the library, except for the Graves which isn't in there, so I requested that they buy it. Thank you all for the recs, I'd love to hear when you read a good one this year as well!

My favorites I read this past year, by genre:

Fantasy: The Blacktongue Thief, very sassy and fun
Nonfiction: What the F, a really fun book about swearing. Also Raising White Kids which was super useful in helping me talk to my 6 year old about race.
Literary/Contemporary: Hell of a Book. What can I say, it's a hell of a book. Very meta and interesting to read with a book partner because you'll want to discuss the first couple of chapters with someone.
YA: A Deadly Education which is like a brown girl's Harry Potter but loads more interesting. Also has a cheesy romance because YA but oh man, so fun. I read the rest of the trilogy and it's finished so you don't have to worry about that.
Short Stories: Nobody Gets Out Alive, contemporary women's fiction style book about living in Alaska
Horror: Cabin at the End of the World by Dale Tremblay ahhhh this one was so fun. Don't read anything about it, just grab it and go. It's short and super crazy.
Poetry: Don't Call Us Dead by Danez Smith. Had to put this one down multiple times to cry. I read this after reading Amanda Gorman's lovely poo poo rear end poetry anthology and man, the difference between bad poetry and good poetry is just a chasm.
Spy/Thriller: The Constant Gardener by John LeCarre. Great. It's LeCarre, of course it's great.
Post-Apocalyptic/SciFi: The Windup Girl by Paolo Baciagalupi. I went out and read his The Water Knife right after, because this one was so good. Fantastic writing style, I flew through both of them.

I just got my hands on The Passenger by Cormac McCarthy which will be my 100th read of the year, hope it's a banger!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I really loved the Water Knife.
I think it was recommended in the Biosphere thread, but yeah, it hits maybe a little too close to home. That after reading Cadillac Desert last year, haha.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

cheese eats mouse posted:

This is going to be a weird year for me. I'm taking a hiatus this year from working for few months starting in April, so I have no clue about money this year!

Before I quit
Max 401k
Pay off any outstanding debts
Get my 2022 taxes completed
Complete my living will and power of attorney process
Launch my portfolio
Finish updating my resume

After I quit
Stay within my $500 month fun budget
Sell any extra clothing I haven't used this past year
Set up my Squarespace and start selling my pottery to make my hobby self-sufficient
Find a new job by July.

New job
Max Roth
Save 30% of new salary
I wanna see your pottery! Just signed up for a class/open studio time this spring but it's been too long.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Thanks for the Ethan Frome recommendation, I ended up reading Summer and The Bronner Sisters and got thoroughly depressed by Edith Wharton. Of the Farm by Updike was equally depressing. More colonially depressing was Coetzee's Waiting For the Barbarians which was phenomenal. Then I thought I should go for something more uplifting so I reread Blood Meridian.

Actually, I've started out with a string of really good books. The Three-Body Problem was super fun scifi, and then I read The Wright Brothers which was so immersive, I want to read more of that author. Then the new David Sedaris collection.

I DON'T HAVE TIME TO READ BOOKS okay well Here are a couple of my favorites short stories from the 20 Under 40 collection in 2010. All from the New Yorker:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2010/07/05/the-erlking A delightful parental horror.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2010/06/14/the-pilot More awkward to read than watching The Office, such a great cringe character.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2010/06/14/here-we-arent-so-quickly Oh my god this one made me cry and then I made my husband read it and he told me never to make him read anything again.

moana posted:

Gooooooooals!

General goals:
- Keep track of all financial activity in an overall spreadsheet to make end of year planning easier ON TRACK
- Go back to using a spreadsheet to track discretionary purchases ON TRACK, January was a low-spend month for discretionary
- Make sure we're hitting 10% of total expenses as charitable expenses - ON TRACK, need to do stock transfer to Haiti charity though
- Read 100 books - ON TRACK, 13 books in January.
- Make pottery and build pit in backyard to try out reduction pit firing - signed up for March pottery studio

Garden goals:
- Get compost for garden (Jan) - this dude is coming by to give me some this week but I need to get more from the store legit style
- Plant a bunch of pumpkins (March/April)
- Plant flowers for cut garden on top of leach field (April)
- Get curly willow cuttings and make wreaths to dry out (April/May)
- Do mother's day succulent pots for neighborhood (May)
- Don't buy any more houseplants. Keep the ones I have alive. Split some to give away as presents. ON TRACK

DIY goals:
- Build loft in garage (Jan/Feb) - We have half of a loft up! Need to install the attic stairs, the divider walls, and seal the concrete. But I did the concrete patches and took out the old insulation and now I've got it down to studs which is how a house should always be, right?
- Hire out electrician (Feb)
- Insulate and build floor (Feb)
- Hire dry wall guys (March)
- Restain the back deck (March)
- Paint garage (March)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

spinst posted:

8. Read 12 books. 6/12. I read a lot in February! You should read Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver.
I just went and put it on hold and I am #177 in the queue! But with 40 copies, that should go fast. My favorite read in February was Embassytown by China Mieville. I loved his book The Scar, it was super steampunky.

edit: and if any of your moms need a book rec, Killers of a Certain Age was a super fun thriller about a retired women's assassin group.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Update: still broke so what
Chicken butt.

So you talking more to your family or what? I put a reminder in my phone to call my mom every week & that has helped me not be the worst daughter.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Update for May - Overall, I've been doing tons more art, took a sumi-e ink painting class, joined a plein air sketching/watercolor group, doing pottery open studio. Making some headway on the loft project slowly but surely. I found a desiccated rat corpse in the wall getting rid of old insulation. My tomato/pepper seedlings are up and ready to be hardened off for mid-month planting. I started playing softball again and am finishing up coaching my kid's teeball team. Getting ready for three camping trips this month.

General goals:
- Keep track of all financial activity in an overall spreadsheet to make end of year planning easier ON TRACK
- Go back to using a spreadsheet to track discretionary purchases WHOOPS totally forgot to do this, oh well
- Make sure we're hitting 10% of total expenses as charitable expenses - ON TRACK, need to do stock transfer to Haiti charity though
- Read 100 books - ON TRACK, on book #42 now (but it's Dhalgren and that should count for three books).
- Make pottery and build pit in backyard to try out reduction pit firing - ON TRACK made a bunch of pots, tried a dismal pit firing with a pinch pot that cracked, oh well

Garden goals:
- Get compost for garden (Jan) - DONE
- Plant a bunch of pumpkins (March/April) NOPE
- Plant flowers for cut garden on top of leach field (April) DONE
- Get curly willow cuttings and make wreaths to dry out (April/May) NOPE
- Do mother's day succulent pots for neighborhood (May) NOPE
- Don't buy any more houseplants. Keep the ones I have alive. Split some to give away as presents. DONE

DIY goals:
- Build loft in garage (Jan/Feb) - DONE
- Hire out electrician (Feb) - DONE
- Insulate and build floor (Feb) - Insulation DONE, floors waiting on drywall
- Hire dry wall guys (March) DONE, only 2 months late
- Restain the back deck (May)
- Paint garage (May)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Congrats on the weight goal progress! What kind of car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

Thanks! The car is a Miata RF. Not all the new debt was from the car, though I did over-pay. Got a 3 year note at 0.9%, but also ended up agreeing to some extra warranties/gap coverage/service plans that were pretty costly.

It is fly, though...

Hey, I had that car! It is so fun to drive, though I got rid of it when I stopped having a work commute. Such a cute little zoomy car. My 6 year old still calls all sports cars Miatas :)