Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Turtle Watch posted:

its not my job to educate myself on how to be happy

You might benefit from a DBT strategy called "opposite action." When you notice precursors to strong "negative" emotions or anxiety, or if you're already feeling bad, engage in something that generates the opposite feeling for you when you do it normally. When I'm feeling really bummed out, I watch a comedian I like on Netflix. It doesn't stop me from feeling bummed, but it really helps to lift my mood and get me from perseverating on the negative emotion.

Feeling difficult emotions is okay, but can sometimes make you less effective in taking care of yourself, and it's important that you can separate "this is necessary for me to feel and process right now" and "I don't have time but I can revisit this later/this emotion isn't aligned with what's actually going on in my life". Sometimes you just straight-up feel things that don't interact with reality at all, and it's important to differentiate those from necessary emotions so that you don't get locked up and dysfunctional when you don't need to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

If you live in the U.S., it's probably really late at night. You should go to bed, even if you end up lying in bed looking at the ceiling. It's also helpful to place your phone face-down with calls and notifications silenced until you wake up.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

NeatHeteroDude posted:

You might benefit from a DBZ strategy called "opposite action."

I cant watch that show itll give me a seizure.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Turtle Watch posted:

I cant watch that show itll give me a seizure.

That doesn't mean you can't try a DBZ strategy called "powering up". Slightly squat with your arms held at your sides and emit a low groaning noise. This is a proven strategy not only to make you feel better but to raise your power level.

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Have you tried drugs?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

love this song. any way we could get this embedded to play in this thread? thanks in advance

sadly mods cannot. if we could i probably would have been kicked out of CSPAM by now for being incredibly annoying

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Dreylad posted:

sadly mods cannot. if we could i probably would have been kicked out of CSPAM by now for being incredibly annoying

hmmm if we could get someone to work on this and give updates to the thread it would be appreciated. we could all use a lil pick me up I think :)

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

It's nice to treat yourself, especially if you're working through college coursework. Research shows that it's better to spend money on silly treats like coffee in college if it helps you make it through because you'll be making so much more money after graduation. 15% of your weekly income as a student ends up being less than 1% of your income after. Saving and investing is far more important after college.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

NeatHeteroDude posted:

It's nice to treat yourself, especially if you're working through college coursework. Research shows that it's better to spend money on silly treats like coffee in college if it helps you make it through because you'll be making so much more money after graduation. 15% of your weekly income as a student ends up being less than 1% of your income after. Saving and investing is far more important after college.

a good way to make sure you follow through on goals is to take something you might buy for yourself anyway like a new video game and make it a reward for accomplishing something. That way every time you play the game you'll remember that thing you did and feel good about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Please do not post happiness tips here, there is a new thread for that