Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

no, i think you're right.

when community servers for games or IRC were a thing, you could log on and see if you were interested in a particular server. if you were, great! if not, you could leave and find something else. you would get to know the regulars, who was good, who was bad, who was grumpy, etc. making friendships organically through text or terrible voip

presently, for example, everything is centrally controlled. you have matchmaking on the corporate servers, you can't talk to the enemy team to prevent toxicity. if you don't send a friend request to a teammate immediately, you might never see them again! even discord, the new IRC, is well containerised and run by a central authority

as far as technology has gone, it's gotten bleak in terms of human interactivity

but also i've gotten a bit too serious about this thread so it's time to go have a cup of tea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I don't think technology has peaked, but I do think that the rate of technological acceleration has flattened out and will probably remain flat for the foreseeable future. I think this happened somewhere around 2010. That was 12 years ago, but if you time traveled back: Smartphones were pretty common at that point. We had twitter, facebook, obviously doing stuff on line was the norm (paying bill, writing emails, etc). Tindr came out in 2012 but I think dating online (via facebook, or whatever) was pretty common. It was common to have an online life and to talk about stuff that happened online in conversation, it wasn't weird like in 2000 if you talked about forums drama or something.

Mass Effect 2, red dead redemption, black ops, blah blah... in general anything with solid art assets and good design made then (when run on the highest settings) would still look "pretty good" today.

I think that's the reason that the two big hyped up technologies of the 2010s: VR and Crypto, are busts. Both have had plenty of time to make their mark on the public. I remember playing around with a Oculus alpha headset in maybe 2013, and crypto obviously has been around since 2009... Neither have found their way out of niches when compared to actual revolutionary technologies like internet access or smart phones (which both of course spawned tons of big businesses). Without looking at the numbers I feel they even fail when you compare them to home computers which became somewhat common in the 80s, only a few years after they were made possible at all with ICs invented in the mid to late 70s: The internet made a computer at home a "must have" but even in the 80s you could edit and print documents, do home accounting and use not-quite-internet stuff like dial up BBSes to get news, etc. It was clear to anyone paying attention that computers would and could continue to become more useful, and they did.

But I don't think its as obvious with VR (and definitely not crypto). It feels like the hype is a lot more "top down" than scrappy startups making cool products, it feels awkward and desperate from an industry that for the past 40 years has only experienced "number go up", when I think the reality is: We're at peak computer now. Nothing we could do online isn't being done now. We could put on clumsy headsets that make a substantial percentage of the users nauseous (me included) but... why? Why would I do that? It's neat I guess, but it doesn't feel the same. No one had to convince me to try a smart phone, that was incredible; VR headsets not so much.

I remember back in 2012 or so talking to a friend about the potential of VR: That you could watch concerts virtually, or sporting events, or metaverse bullshit. Well, we could do it then, and we can do it now, we just don't want to. Sporting events are still routinely sold out, people still go to coffee shops, it still costs a loving fortune to live in any sort of decent city because we don't want to sit at home with our VR headsets and buy virtual shoes to show off in the metaverse. We want to buy real shoes and take pictures to show our friends online. Just like we've been doing for a decade.

So anyway, that's a lot of words to express something I think a lot of us probably know and agree with, but when I talk about this with non-computer people they seem surprised at my opinion. I think its just natural to assume everything is going to get better and more technical forever; that's been the trend ever since the computer was invented. But now I think its over, and computers will become like any other industry, software will become a commodity like paper or steel (barring some actual breakthrough like quantum computers or neuromancer-esque brain interfaces) and it'll be interesting to see how we handle that transition.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

technology is fine. social media is the problem

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ADINSX posted:

I don't think technology has peaked, but I do think that the rate of technological acceleration has flattened out and will probably remain flat for the foreseeable future. I think this happened somewhere around 2010. That was 12 years ago, but if you time traveled back: Smartphones were pretty common at that point. We had twitter, facebook, obviously doing stuff on line was the norm (paying bill, writing emails, etc). Tindr came out in 2012 but I think dating online (via facebook, or whatever) was pretty common. It was common to have an online life and to talk about stuff that happened online in conversation, it wasn't weird like in 2000 if you talked about forums drama or something.

Mass Effect 2, red dead redemption, black ops, blah blah... in general anything with solid art assets and good design made then (when run on the highest settings) would still look "pretty good" today.

I think that's the reason that the two big hyped up technologies of the 2010s: VR and Crypto, are busts. Both have had plenty of time to make their mark on the public. I remember playing around with a Oculus alpha headset in maybe 2013, and crypto obviously has been around since 2009... Neither have found their way out of niches when compared to actual revolutionary technologies like internet access or smart phones (which both of course spawned tons of big businesses). Without looking at the numbers I feel they even fail when you compare them to home computers which became somewhat common in the 80s, only a few years after they were made possible at all with ICs invented in the mid to late 70s: The internet made a computer at home a "must have" but even in the 80s you could edit and print documents, do home accounting and use not-quite-internet stuff like dial up BBSes to get news, etc. It was clear to anyone paying attention that computers would and could continue to become more useful, and they did.

But I don't think its as obvious with VR (and definitely not crypto). It feels like the hype is a lot more "top down" than scrappy startups making cool products, it feels awkward and desperate from an industry that for the past 40 years has only experienced "number go up", when I think the reality is: We're at peak computer now. Nothing we could do online isn't being done now. We could put on clumsy headsets that make a substantial percentage of the users nauseous (me included) but... why? Why would I do that? It's neat I guess, but it doesn't feel the same. No one had to convince me to try a smart phone, that was incredible; VR headsets not so much.

I remember back in 2012 or so talking to a friend about the potential of VR: That you could watch concerts virtually, or sporting events, or metaverse bullshit. Well, we could do it then, and we can do it now, we just don't want to. Sporting events are still routinely sold out, people still go to coffee shops, it still costs a loving fortune to live in any sort of decent city because we don't want to sit at home with our VR headsets and buy virtual shoes to show off in the metaverse. We want to buy real shoes and take pictures to show our friends online. Just like we've been doing for a decade.

So anyway, that's a lot of words to express something I think a lot of us probably know and agree with, but when I talk about this with non-computer people they seem surprised at my opinion. I think its just natural to assume everything is going to get better and more technical forever; that's been the trend ever since the computer was invented. But now I think its over, and computers will become like any other industry, software will become a commodity like paper or steel (barring some actual breakthrough like quantum computers or neuromancer-esque brain interfaces) and it'll be interesting to see how we handle that transition.

too many words. didn’t read

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

fart simpson posted:

too many words. didn’t read

I don’t blame you

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

discord is good for building close-knit friend groups online. the centralization is so far mostly technical, as far as social matters go i don't think irc was any better.

for the actual question:

hardware is pretty boring these days, because it is mostly supply-line optimization of indistinguishable rectangles. software got boring earlier, basically tech bubble 1.0 set wages such that if you're a software dev you'll be working on something boring because only boring endeavours can afford to pay. some people work on software in their free time, but most of those that do do so out of such a lack of imagination that they'll spend their time doing an even less interesting reinvention of something already very mundane.

so, peaked in ~2000 due to the tech bubble.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 13, 2022

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

echinopsis posted:

rude

tho did you know rego dates in the forum respect time zones because it’s the 13th on my screen

that’s actually neat

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Computer?? I hardly know er

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ADINSX posted:

i read this and agree, thank you for poasting

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

yw glad you enjoyed it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

thank you for poasting

this is not yospos orthodoxy

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

rotor posted:

:justpost:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

rotor posted:

:devil:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

between the advent of ad blocker addons for Firefox and every site popping up full screen nag boxes to get your email. that was the peak

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

everything in the last ~ten years of technological advances has introduced more and more input latency into every interaction in our lives. every car infotainment system in 2022 is slower than my 2009 Nissan’s for some reason. websites are 50MB of JavaScript that put an animation between you and the page you want to get to. hit the win key, wait 2 seconds or your first couple key strokes will get eaten. hit the volume up button on your Bluetooth smart tv remote and wait several seconds for it to respond

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
amen brother

would rather developers wouldn’t try to channel ENIAC with the lagtops

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
remember when ctrl alt delete would INSTANTLY work? on single core processors?

windows has been wokeified. it used to run like an authoritarian regime, a police state, keeping applications in check and threads under the boot

now if you try to close a program it’s like windows turns to the thread and snowflakely says “pweeze can you close? only if you want to tho uwu”

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Windows lock screen, even in early editions of Win 10, was instantly responsive. You could start typing in your password and it would take.

In one of the major updates they permanently broke it and now you'd better hit the spacebar a couple of times and make sure that password field has focus!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

remember when ctrl alt delete would INSTANTLY work? on single core processors?

windows has been wokeified. it used to run like an authoritarian regime, a police state, keeping applications in check and threads under the boot

now if you try to close a program it’s like windows turns to the thread and snowflakely says “pweeze can you close? only if you want to tho uwu”

makes sense

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

~Coxy posted:

Windows lock screen, even in early editions of Win 10, was instantly responsive. You could start typing in your password and it would take.

In one of the major updates they permanently broke it and now you'd better hit the spacebar a couple of times and make sure that password field has focus!

i mistype my password at least once a day because i started typing a split second too soon after hitting the space bar

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ADINSX posted:

are you over 40 perhaps

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

git apologist posted:

are you over 40 perhaps

I’m 37 and yeah of course I get where your going with this: but my extended family has a lot of young kids. They play Fortnite, or games on tablets and swipe on phones and poo poo. I’m not saying technology is gonna regress or anything so I wouldn’t say it’s “peaked”, it’s just that we have a lot of “technology” now and we have for some time. Computers you put on your face that give you headaches aren’t gonna change the world

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

just the right length, did read. thanks for posting it

im not sure i agree 100% with everything there. it's not because everything doesn't look like you're right - it does. it's just that truly transformative technology you don't see coming. that isn't to say that transformative technology is always newly-invented. 'transformation' as im using it must involve both the thing precipitating transformation and the thing being transformed (society, interpersonal relationships, whatever). so what i mean is, we can see iterations on the Current Thing, but we can't reliably predict what the real Next Thing is going to be. it's often obvious in hindsight, but not being able to forecast the next revolution doesn't mean it won't happen, or that it won't be obvious once the paradigm has shifted such that its appearance seems inevitable

idk maybe i read too much kuhn and peirce and friends.but, like, even if you're right that humans have wrung all the interesting stuff out of silicon ICs (or whatever the relevant artifact is), to say that _technology_ has peaked feels a lot like every generation saying that the next is lazy, that the world is ending, and that sort of thing

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

git apologist posted:

are you over 40 perhaps

lol yes this is much more concise and makes basically the same point

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Like lets look decade by decade, starting (arbitrarily) at 1980:

1980: Personal computers invented but still pretty rare, VCR invented but still pretty rare. Cable tv technically exists but uncommon
1990: Personal computers somewhat common and actually somewhat useful at this point. VCRs common, renting movies is common. Cable tv is somewhat common
2000: (slim) majority of American households now have a computer, internet connection common as well and some people have broadband. Computer games/graphics/connectivity lightyears ahead of 1990. VHS and DVD rentals still strong and even available by mail at this point (netflix launched in 1997). Cell phones common. Xbox comes out in 2001 with the ability to play games online via a console.
2010: iPhone has been out for 3 years; vast majority of us households have a computer. iPad released this year which begins the shift of casual computing away from traditional desktops. Doing stuff online now is extremely common, broadband at this point is the norm in most cities
2020: uh... iphone has more cameras now i guess? Bigger adoption numbers for all that stuff from 2010. I guess its a lot more common to not have cable tv and just stream stuff?

you can't deny that's a falling off, I know we don't like the 8-bit guy but he's got a video on "what happened to America's electronics stores"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyuk2cbEZfs

If you don't feel like watching: phones replaced all the stuff that used to go in those stores. Your phone just does everything now: VCRs, portable radios/cd players, recorders, car stereo stuff, alarm clocks... all now handled by our friend: the computer

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ok but what about rna vaccines? we don't know where that's gonna go. that's technology. i hope that this effectively points out that there's more to technology than consumer electronics

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

im not sure i agree 100% with everything there. it's not because everything doesn't look like you're right - it does. it's just that truly transformative technology you don't see coming. that isn't to say that transformative technology is always newly-invented. 'transformation' as im using it must involve both the thing precipitating transformation and the thing being transformed (society, interpersonal relationships, whatever). so what i mean is, we can see iterations on the Current Thing, but we can't reliably predict what the real Next Thing is going to be. it's often obvious in hindsight, but not being able to forecast the next revolution doesn't mean it won't happen, or that it won't be obvious once the paradigm has shifted such that its appearance seems inevitable

idk maybe i read too much kuhn and peirce and friends.but, like, even if you're right that humans have wrung all the interesting stuff out of silicon ICs (or whatever the relevant artifact is), to say that _technology_ has peaked feels a lot like every generation saying that the next is lazy, that the world is ending, and that sort of thing

That's fair and I do have a hand wavy disclaimer about "some unforseen breakthrough like neuromancer-style computer brain interfaces" or something. I think my point was more: without a breakthrough like that... this is it. despite the last decade of startup after startup, tech fad after tech fad saying this would be the big hot new thing (VR, smart watches, crypto), it really doesn't feel that different to me. It's obviously different, but not 1990 -> 2000 different.

I think tech break throughs are kind of like the "true love" cliches, you know within the first 24 hours. When the iphone came out, people knew. When I saw the internet as a kid, I knew it was a big huge deal.

Hell even when the first computers came out people knew, we went from hand wiring the ENIAC to calculate firing tables to the MIT Whirlwind in 10 years.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

ok but what about rna vaccines? we don't know where that's gonna go. that's technology. i hope that this effectively points out that there's more to technology than consumer electronics

ok sure but the spirit of the thread so far has been consumer oriented technology and its impact on the way we live our lives

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

My post was also about "tech" culture. I don't know much about RNA vaccines, I'm sure they're great. But Pfizer isn't out there looking for a 10x rockstar chemist. They're just normal, routine companies trying to make money and maybe make the world a little better (as a side effect of making money).

I'm looking forward to software engineers become just like any other (semi?) skilled white color profession, we're not saving the world or disrupting anything, I'm just making your fraud detection algorithms a little better.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

not the right length, unable to read

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

echinopsis posted:

not the right length, unable to read

ts;dr

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ADINSX posted:

ok sure but the spirit of the thread so far has been consumer oriented technology and its impact on the way we live our lives

ok, but changes in idk power generation or storage could easily impact these specific technologies in transformative ways. the thing i called out as an illustration was an illustration of a general point. you're gonna have to use your imagination a bit, and obviously we can't know what's coming next. if we did, we would build it (or at least patent it)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i don't have anything to say about rockstar devs. sure maybe that fad is ending. but so did the trucker fad in the 70s or whatever. but that wasn't anything that mattered, and i don't think "rockstar developer" poo poo will be either.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

ok, but changes in idk power generation or storage could easily impact these specific technologies in transformative ways. the thing i called out as an illustration was an illustration of a general point. you're gonna have to use your imagination a bit, and obviously we can't know what's coming next. if we did, we would build it (or at least patent it)

Sure, that's fair. Which reminds me that one example I left out of 2010 -> 2020 is that electric cars are now pretty common (more common than manual transmissions) and that's a pretty big deal "technology" wise, even if it doesn't really change our day to day lives (i.e, we still drive places)

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing though

Achmed Jones posted:

to say that _technology_ has peaked feels a lot like every generation saying that the next is lazy, that the world is ending, and that sort of thing

That isn't what I was saying. I'm saying the rate of technological change has flattened and by that I really meant "the rate of change of technology's impact on our daily lives" has flattened. 1990 -> 2010 was a wild loving ride, it's impossible to expect every 20 years will be like that.

What I meant by "peak computer" is that we literally couldn't do anything online we aren't doing already. Being online is the norm now, to the point where its getting hard to do stuff offline (If you go into a Chase bank, they'll tell you "you can do this online". I think they make them say it).

Articles gushing about how we'll do this and that and more in the future online are ignoring the fact that if you want to be (even if you don't want to be...), you can be online 24/7 right now

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 19, 2022

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

i don't have anything to say about rockstar devs. sure maybe that fad is ending. but so did the trucker fad in the 70s or whatever. but that wasn't anything that mattered, and i don't think "rockstar developer" poo poo will be either.

I think its baked into the culture (and insane valuations) of a lot of tech companies though, and once software becomes boring and normal, those valuations are gonna have to fall

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah i think you're right wrt us talking about broadly different things. im not sure what lines exactly that you're drawing but i think i get the general idea. there's something there we can draw a line around and say "this can only iterate, it's being used to maximum potential." and the examples you give are well-chosen in that i think i get the class of things you're talking about even if i can't really articulate it. but the choice of where to draw that line is really important - so much so that it kind of feels like begging the question

anyways it's bedtime for me, thanks for the discussion!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

anyways it's bedtime for me, thanks for the discussion!

:wave:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ADINSX posted:

I think its baked into the culture (and insane valuations) of a lot of tech companies though, and once software becomes boring and normal, those valuations are gonna have to fall

ah yeah ya might be right there, i can't comment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ADINSX posted:

white color profession,