Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ISDN BRI ought to have been enough for anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

basic rate interface. two full duplex 64 kbps channels that can either do packet switched data or circuit switched wideband voice, and one full duplex 16 kbps channel for signalling and auxiliary data packets. plus sync bits and stuff like that

we made an enormous mistake giving every moron on the planet effectively infinite bandwidth 24/7 no matter the location

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tankakern posted:

oh, so a method where you could use ISDN with telephone connectivity, but still have 2x 64kbit?

basically you got two 64 kbps bearer channels that you could mix and match with. full 128 kbps data, 64 kbps data + one call, or no data + two calls. a full ISDN primary rate interface was 23x 64 kbps bearer channels + one 64 kbps control channel for 1536 kbps. add in 8 kbps for line signalling and hey presto you have a T1

e: my mistake I'm an idiot it's not wideband because of nyquist sampling. serves me right for trying to nerd out about 1960s telephony technology at 2am

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 10, 2022