Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Who is the Pulisic of gridiron OP

Tim Tebow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
What film is the Liverpool vs Chelsea 2006 of grid iron

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

cagliostr0 posted:

What film is the Liverpool vs Chelsea 2006 of grid iron

I’m gonna guess Super Bowl XLII, which was Patriots vs Giants

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Arivia posted:

I’m gonna guess Super Bowl XLII, which was Patriots vs Giants

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx0ujx

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

trem_two posted:

Tim Tebow

Mamma Mia!

I think Zigic or Big Chris Samba might've made for a decent Tight End at some point

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

harperdc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0VGmQ4SvTY

it's not impossible to think Messi would just make them all miss, we've seen his likes before

[edit] the video is of Barry Sanders, for the Europeans: This is a pro-rear end gridiron click

I knew someone was going to say Barry sanders but Barry was 210 on a 5’8” frame doing that poo poo, and Messi had to take roids to just be a normal 5’7” manlet

This is the inverse of stupid Americans talking about how all the big fast nfl and nba players would dominate soccer if they focused on it

Regardless, if you’ve never watched a Barry sanders video for the love of god watch it asap!!

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
You know how Adama Traore looks weird as gently caress on the pitch some times because he’s so big? He’s 5’10” 190. That’s the type of frame you need to start with to be 210” with functional muscle and retain speed/agility.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Razor Ruddock managed 6’2 at 220lbs and was a paragon of fitness

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

who was that striker that germany played during their "getting clowned on by emile heskey" years who was a complete unit but had no other redeeming football skills

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Lukaku is 6'3 230 with decent speed, that's a pretty good profile for quite a few positions.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

No mention of Neville Southall smh

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
you could bring some guys on as like special teams gunners or returners

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

John McClane posted:

you could bring some guys on as like special teams gunners or returners

All of the Gunners are already special needs.

Edit: Sorry, misread

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Maybe with Ronaldo being frozen out at Manchester he could make the move to the NFL?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Big Andy Carroll

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

andy carroll would end up in a wheelchair

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Bale coulda been a WR

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Bale coulda been a WR

Yeah he’s a freak

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I didn’t realize there’s actually a AFL player to American football pipeline, particularly for punters. Makes sense though after watching some Aussie rules. There’s academies to turn AFL players with booming kicks into special teams guys and send them to college in the US. Quite a few have made it to the NFL over the years. The pay is better and kickers can play basically forever as long as their body holds out.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Which gridiron team are the Blackburn Rovers of America

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

Which gridiron team are the Blackburn Rovers of America

Describe the qualities that define the Blackburn Rovers and I'll try to answer :)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Describe the qualities that define the Blackburn Rovers and I'll try to answer :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYwf2SBWa5o

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Do football teams usually make the sign of the cross? That alone makes me say The Notre Dame Fighting Irish

The weird eating chicken as part of the advert makes me think just any Midwestern gridiron team. There's a ton to choose from.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 17, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Judgy Fucker posted:

I have appreciated the U.S. getting knocked out by the likes of Ghana. I mean, I'd rather the US won, but if the US is going to lose it's better than to a boring team like Belgium

Oh, oops, poo poo

Ghana is the greatest enemy of the USMNT

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

This ad has enormous packers energy however unlike the rovers they are good

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This ad has enormous packers energy however unlike the rovers they are good

That's Former Premier League Champions Blackburn Rovers to you

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

big directional Michigan energy here.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

big directional Michigan energy here.

I didn’t think we could include college but if so yes

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I didn’t think we could include college but if so yes

There are both college and professional wings of the gridiron embassy

Most especially since college gridiron and international football have very similar vibes to them imo

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Lukaku is 6'3 230 with decent speed, that's a pretty good profile for quite a few positions.

Honestly that's kind of small for the NFL for the positions you could imagine him in. I'm struggling to think of footballers who could realistically make a go of it in american football, its such a physical sport that realistically you can do it without having the technical skills, but you really do need to be a freak of nature of the sort that you just don't tend to see on a football pitch at high levels considering how correspondingly technical football is where american football is physical; there just aren't that many people who have the athletic and physical talent necessary to walk onto an NFL team, and the venn diagram of those people with people who have mastered football technique enough to make it to, say, the prem is almost zero. The only one I can think of who might have a chance off the top of my head is Erling Haaland, but even then I would say while his speed and size are incredible for a footballer, they're probably not quite enough to dominate in the NFL (which you would need to be able to do being so far behind on technique having not grown up playing the sport).

100% there are a bunch of people who could probably be good kickers with a bit of practice, and maybe a few speedsters who could be special teamers. Most likely gunners as that favours straight line speed over change of direction which is also what football tends to want from pacey players. The other positions where you can get by on athleticism alone all tend to be on the d or -line, and there just aren't any footballers close to big enough for that.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Akinfenwa m8

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

kecske posted:

Akinfenwa m8

I've seen Akinfenwa live a bunch and I've seen a couple of NFL games live at wembley. Trust me, NFL linemen are about 5x faster and more agile than he was lol.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Without the lifetime of training yeah nobody is going to compete at that level. As an aside, ~10 years or so ago the Northampton Saints (former rugby union European Champions, stacked with England internationals at the time) had a pre-season event where they invited people to just turn up and have a go at some challenges against the first team. Akinfenwa was playing for Town at the time and turned up and absolutely rinsed them at anything physical, and wasn't far behind them on speed either.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

kecske posted:

Without the lifetime of training yeah nobody is going to compete at that level. As an aside, ~10 years or so ago the Northampton Saints (former rugby union European Champions, stacked with England internationals at the time) had a pre-season event where they invited people to just turn up and have a go at some challenges against the first team. Akinfenwa was playing for Town at the time and turned up and absolutely rinsed them at anything physical, and wasn't far behind them on speed either.

It is kinda possible for the right athlete, a British discus champion, Lawrence Okoye, made it onto the 49ers practice squad a few years back with absolutely zero gridiron experience. It just requires someone so physically gifted that a team is willing to take a punt and see if they pan out, it happens every now and again. That said, it really does require an athlete so exceptional and specific (depending on the position) that it is really rare, and the likelihood of that overlapping with someone who also has the footballing technical ability to have made it to the highest level of football is pretty unlikely. Of course in that scenario it would also probably be an extremely inadvisable career move given that they could probably have a much more lucrative and secure career by just staying in football than taking the chance on making it in the NFL, especially when you factor in the increased risk of injury.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Ouroboros posted:

Honestly that's kind of small for the NFL for the positions you could imagine him in. I'm struggling to think of footballers who could realistically make a go of it in american football, its such a physical sport that realistically you can do it without having the technical skills, but you really do need to be a freak of nature of the sort that you just don't tend to see on a football pitch at high levels considering how correspondingly technical football is where american football is physical; there just aren't that many people who have the athletic and physical talent necessary to walk onto an NFL team, and the venn diagram of those people with people who have mastered football technique enough to make it to, say, the prem is almost zero. The only one I can think of who might have a chance off the top of my head is Erling Haaland, but even then I would say while his speed and size are incredible for a footballer, they're probably not quite enough to dominate in the NFL (which you would need to be able to do being so far behind on technique having not grown up playing the sport).

100% there are a bunch of people who could probably be good kickers with a bit of practice, and maybe a few speedsters who could be special teamers. Most likely gunners as that favours straight line speed over change of direction which is also what football tends to want from pacey players. The other positions where you can get by on athleticism alone all tend to be on the d or -line, and there just aren't any footballers close to big enough for that.

americans were a mistake

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Ouroboros posted:

Lol what?

Desean Jackson is 5'10. Deebo Samuel is 6'0. Alvin Kamara is 5'10.

I think these discussions are universally stupid, because the skillsets for the sports are completely different. But this idea that NFL players are of such unique size is dumb as gently caress.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
basically the only NFL player I know is Odell Beckham Jr. and I looked it up and he is 5'11"

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Bruce Lee couldn't have been a modern football player

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

joepinetree posted:

Lol what?

Desean Jackson is 5'10. Deebo Samuel is 6'0. Alvin Kamara is 5'10.

I think these discussions are universally stupid, because the skillsets for the sports are completely different. But this idea that NFL players are of such unique size is dumb as gently caress.

Of course not all NFL players are freakish giants, but my whole point is that you had better be if you don't have the technical skillset. Pacey footballers don't typically have the change of direction or strength and durability to play RB, and probably don't have the hands to play WR. Maybe some would have a chance as a Desean Jackson-esque deep threat; that is the one position where a few professional sprinters have turned the heads of NFL teams over the years, but it has almost never worked out because they don't have good enough hands and the skillset still requires speed over a shorter distance than they are used to.

But yes I will agree that this is stupid and we are stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

David Beckham would have been the greatest quarterback in history and saved us from the scourge of T*m Br*dy :britain: