Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I put my onions in thick slices in the chili when it taken off the heat. It softens them without making them soggy. It also makes them really strong.

Would you describe these thick onion slices as perhaps "slabs" of onion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I put my onions in thick slices in the chili when it taken off the heat. It softens them without making them soggy. It also makes them really strong.

wtf

naem
May 29, 2011

the only thing better than soggy onions are really tough onions that feel like a slug when you bite into them only there is a tough bit that feels like a sheet of plastic got melted to the slug

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If you dice your onions properly (small) and sauté them they pretty much disappear into the final dish. I don’t know what’s going on with onion slab poster but I think I’d rather have corn.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
There are places in this world where you can get slapped for putting beans in chili

You best think about that, thread.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
ninjoatse's chili recipe
1 can pinto beans, good n wet
1 slab onion

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Orc Priest posted:

There are places in this world where you can get slapped for putting beans in chili

You best think about that, thread.

Yeah but those places are all in Ohio, and if you wind up in that shithole you'll have much bigger worries than being unable to find properly bean-filled chili.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
the best part of hosed up Ohio chili is the beans go on top

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

AARD VARKMAN posted:

the best part of hosed up Ohio chili is the beans go on top

This is how a state full of cowards tries to avoid taking a stand on the beanless chili debate.

naem
May 29, 2011

Ohio “chili” also substitutes cinnamon for, you know, chili

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

naem posted:

Ohio “chili” also substitutes cinnamon for, you know, chili

but hey it doesnt have beans, so OP should love it

get u some

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

AARD VARKMAN posted:

get u some

What in tarnation

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

AARD VARKMAN posted:

get u some

wtf

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

get u some

This is the first upsetting thing in this whole thread.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
What’s on the top, like fried bees or something

naem
May 29, 2011

the idea of chili served over rice is imo just fine, good even

the idea of chili with no, chili, I mean Ohio has so few things it can call it’s own Id hate to poke fun

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Smugworth posted:

Would you describe these thick onion slices as perhaps "slabs" of onion?
Slabs are straight cuts across an onion. Like for a hamburger (but with the centers punched out).

Cut the ends of a large onion off then slice it in half horizontally. Slice that half of the onion in half vertically.

From that quarter of an onion, slice it in half horizontally again, and the slice it vertically into 4 roughly equal pieces. Separate the remaining layers.

You'll end up with curved onion slices that will begin to soften when added to a heated chili but never lose their crunch. It makes for a really strong onion flavor while also absorbing the flavor of the chili into the onion.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

ninjoatse's chili recipe
1 can pinto beans, good n wet
1 slab onion

blaspheme, on many fronts. Please probate yourself for false accusations against your fellow poster

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

If you dice your onions properly (small) and sauté them they pretty much disappear into the final dish. I don’t know what’s going on with onion slab poster but I think I’d rather have corn.

Adding aromatics to your chili doesn't meat melting them into a slush.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

What’s on the top, like fried bees or something

surprisingly it's jalapeno "caps"

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

If you want the taste of onion but want to hide their profile you can just use onion powder.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ninjoatse.cx posted:

If you want the taste of onion but want to hide their profile you can just use onion powder.

So much this

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

ninjoatse.cx posted:

There are sizes in between microscopic and slab. The way you described it at first it sounded like you were putting a giant slab of onion rather than some large-dice raw bits on top, which is acceptable, hell even Wendy’s offers the option.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

There are sizes in between microscopic and slab. The way you described it at first it sounded like you were putting a giant slab of onion rather than some large-dice raw bits on top, which is acceptable, hell even Wendy’s offers the option.

That's normal this guy wants long stringy half cooked onions in his chili for some reason

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I like diced white onion on like a hot dog or something, but in chili I prefer the onions also be cooked. If you're already giving everything else that nice caramelization, why not the onions too?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

AARD VARKMAN posted:

That's normal this guy wants long stringy half cooked onions in his chili for some reason

I literally told you how to cut the onions in my post you dope. It's the same methods for a stir fry

jfc <:mad:>

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I literally told you how to cut the onions in my post you dope. It's the same methods for a stir fry

u complain everywhere u go
have an onion slab

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It's the same methods for a stir fry

Onion twist

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ive got some spicy chilis in my freezer and id like to convert them into chili

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

numberoneposter posted:

ive got some spicy chilis in my freezer and id like to convert them into chili

Chilis are supposed to be HOT you dummy!!!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Chilis are supposed to be HOT you dummy!!!
i will serve my chili at a rolling boil

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Will it have parboiled onion slabs

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Oh hey, YouTube cooking sensation Adam Ragusea's latest video settles the bean vs no-bean debate once and for all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb3k0wApWas

The answer is only beans:unsmigghh:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i would not eat his chili. in fact i would rudely berate him for his 'chili'.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

i am so loving angry about chili rn

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Prof. Crocodile posted:

i am so loving angry about chili rn

same, just seething with rage

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I'm still trying to work out the amount of cognitive dissonance needed to be all "BEANs in chili?? hell no get that poo poo outta here. TOFU tho?? that's the poo poo"

nothing against tofu but... its... its a processed bean product I hate to be the one to tell you. a processed soybean product even, and I definitely don't think of soybeans when I think chili

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

It's about the vibes my dude and tofu has a meaty vibe, not a beany one

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
tofu has a mushroomy vibe. definitely not meaty.

some psychopaths will say mushrooms are meaty or give you a portabella on a bun

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Costco Meatballs posted:

some psychopaths will say mushrooms are meaty or give you a portabella on a bun

Seems like you might have a financial stake in putting forth this misinformation, Costco Meatballs :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Seems like you might have a financial stake in putting forth this misinformation, Costco Meatballs :thunk:

loving viral marketers infiltrating our forums :argh:

now lets all go enjoy some healthy dairy products