Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

britishbornandbread posted:

oh great the overwrought guy who doesn't even support England yeah he should be the op for it

Four score and five thousand years ago, around the time the Pharoah Khufu ordered the building of the Great Pyramid, Men of England ventured to Wales to steal their stones and bring them 150 miles to Salisbury Plain, whereupon they would erect a giant stone circle that somehow now costs £25 admission even though you can easily see it from the A303 and it was already loving there when they built the ticket booth. Thus it came to pass that the world map would be centred on England, and they would get a free monument in every city.

And many thousands of years later, although they left no written record, one would surely think that these tribesmen would be proud to know that an English manager is still willing to drag Stones many hundreds of miles around the world for no particular loving reason.

A History

Six years ago, Roy Hodgson left the England job after being knocked out of the Euros by Iceland. Who were actually a very technically good and well-drilled side, but because Iceland is small and never won a war everyone involved is to be considered a fisherman on shore leave, including all of the ones who played in the Premier League.

All other options exhausted, England finally called upon its prodigal son and fallen hero to come in from the cold.

Finally, Big Sam Allardyce nobly stood on the touchline like a callcentre refrigerator and watched an Adam Lallana goal beat Slovakia, before then being caught on camera doing a corruption while drinking wine from a pint glass, and promptly being fired after one game.

All other options plus one exhausted, England just promoted Gareth Southgate from u-21s manager to proper manager, as part of the FA's ongoing mission to provide a route for failing English managers back into normal society. If you visit St George's Park, you may see Aidy Boothroyd trying to see how far he can kick a ball and then chasing after it, which is in discussion for the next John Lewis Christmas ad.

Of course, the England job is a good job for a clown to have while doing the England job, so The Southgate was ideal for the role.

Every other nation in the World Cup will be representing a football team, that may or may not be good at that point in time. Indeed, some would say that the allure of international football has largely been superseded by modern domestic football that features multinational squads drilled on complex tactics and interplay. But England is not a country, not a national football team, it's an ideal, an eternal Serbija that lives in the hearts of Shrewsbury Town and Torquay United fans everywhere. That one day they may have a country of their own, and that country will be built on shouting and various PaddyPower promotional stunts. Unlike Liverpool or United, who are nations unto themselves and boom and bust upon the footballing altar, England is concurrently a perfect and eternal state of boom, and also a perfect and eternal state of bust. It is always, always Coming Home, and yet it never must.

The dog may chase the car, but never catch it.

Which is to say that Southgate is now the second-longest serving England manager since Alf Ramsay, and all the young upcoming talents are now old has-beens who should be dropped for younger, upcominger talents. England reached the final of the last Euros, and went unbeaten in qualifying, but will definitely finish last in the group because they lost a bunch of Nations League matches which were in the middle of June for no justifiable reason.

The Squad

https://twitter.com/England/status/1590705917229551616?s=20&t=8O35ocBI6k_96FesWnHwxw

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Newcastle), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal)

Jordan Pickford will start in goal, despite him having to have a little stepladder in the kitchen to open the top cabinets. Dean Henderson is not going, despite me pointing and nodding at him while he conceded more goals than any other PL keeper so far this year. Southgate will live to regret this.

Defenders: Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Eric Dier (Tottenham), John Stones (Manchester City), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Conor Coady (Everton), Ben White (Arsenal), Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool)

All of these defenders are bad. Especially the ones you like.

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Declan Rice (West Ham), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Kalvin Phillips (Manchester City)

England actually have defensive midfielders now, which has helped to stop the eternal bust of battering down Slovenia or someone 3-0 while the fans boo any pass that keeps possession and then immediately getting ruined by Germany because all four midfielders are effectively playing up front while Thomas Müller gets ball to feet on the edge of the box. All of these midfielders are still bad, though.

Forwards: James Maddison (Leicester), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Chelsea), Callum Wilson (Newcastle), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United)

League One's Ivan Toney wasn't picked to play at an international level, joining a long line of useless shitbags including Bobby Zamora, Kevin Phillips, James Beattie, Andy Johnson and Grant loving Holt who didn't get a call-up just because they stood up front and scored 30 goals for a club that scored 30 goals all season.

The Group

England's group is most notable for all its teams beginning with vowels, if you speak some kind of poisoned demontongue where W is unironically considered a vowel.

21st November, 13:00 GMT England vs Iran
25th November, 19:00 GMT England vs CONCACAF minnows, the United States
29th November, 19:00 GMT England vs Wales

Each team will finish the group with four points, Wales and England qualifying based on goals scored and yellow cards. The winners and runners-up will play the winner and runner-up of Group A, which is the loving one with Qatar and Ecuador in it, leading to at least one of these poo poo teams fluking their way to a quarter-final with either Argentina or France.

May God forgive Mbappe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Squad looks as good as it can be, for me. Tomori winning a farmer’s league means he can count himself v unlucky, but helps when you don’t get sent off giving away a penalty in front of your national team manager live in stunning high definition.

Gallagher is a lucky boy. I’m not sure if and when he would play, but I hold my hands up and admit I’m not sure precisely what type of CM he is.

Back up striker to Kane is much of a muchness. I’d probably take Wilson, but he is made of quavers and Toney enjoys gambling on how many quavers are in a packet, so it’s best he doesn’t go.

Ultimately, it’s a reasonable squad that I think could go deep if the draw opens up again - I fancy Denmark over in Group D instead of France - but based on FIFA Rankings we have the toughest group. We could 2010 it again, but I reckon if we get a good win against a defensive but resolute Iran we SHOULD be on our way.

It’s coming home.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Squad looks as good as it can be, for me. Tomori winning a farmer’s league means he can count himself v unlucky, but helps when you don’t get sent off giving away a penalty in front of your national team manager live in stunning high definition.

Gallagher is a lucky boy. I’m not sure if and when he would play, but I hold my hands up and admit I’m not sure precisely what type of CM he is.

Back up striker to Kane is much of a muchness. I’d probably take Wilson, but he is made of quavers and Toney enjoys gambling on how many quavers are in a packet, so it’s best he doesn’t go.

Ultimately, it’s a reasonable squad that I think could go deep if the draw opens up again - I fancy Denmark over in Group D instead of France - but based on FIFA Rankings we have the toughest group. We could 2010 it again, but I reckon if we get a good win against a defensive but resolute Iran we SHOULD be on our way.

It’s coming home.

big fan personally of Tomori turning his back on the country he was part of the youth setup with so he could get capped in meaningless games for England and then not getting selected while the country he spurned made the World Cup tbh

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

That’s a really good point, had not thought of that. He’s only young, isn’t he? No reason he can’t play for England in Canada 2026.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Kalvin Phillips being selected is an absolute joke

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-0u8kzzfro

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

That’s a really good point, had not thought of that. He’s only young, isn’t he? No reason he can’t play for England in Canada 2026.

Or play for Canada in the CUM World Cup :twisted:

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Why

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Excited that Big Benny Blanco is going. He’s been exceptional for Arsenal this season at right-back even though he’s a center-back. He should start over Trent imo.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

England's defenders and England defenders are really loving bad.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Absolutely nowhere near match fit?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

He’s by far not the worst in this regard and some of the others are insanely more replaceable in terms of role

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

LOL same was said about Maguire last summer and he made team of the tournament.

He’s a very good central midfielder and we have like three in total, he was even player of the year for 2021. He had a shoulder injury so I am sure he’s been able to maintain fitness, and we can easily bring him on in games when needed. I’m not really seeing who’s been cruelly robbed of a spot, here.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

James Ward Prowse. :colbert:

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
maddison is the new grealish

also Big Money is with us so its definitely coming home: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/09/a-bold-claim-lloyds-back-england-for-world-cup-based-on-insurable-value

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

I’m taking the lad who was a breakout star last summer, earning a move to one of the best sides in Europe, though admittedly recovering from a shoulder injury, who plays in a problem position, over a free kick merchant in the relegation zone. Sorry.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

For years I've brazenly posted at the start of every major tournament (even the ones England didn't qualify for) that It is Coming Home, and yet It remains stubbornly Out.

So, in this topsy-turvy world of Winter World Cups, I declare before you all today that It Is Not Coming Home.

Do your worst, fate.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

JWP should have been in this team for years, international games are scrappy as hell usually and his set pieces are world class, Clive.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I’m taking the lad who was a breakout star last summer, earning a move to one of the best sides in Europe, though admittedly recovering from a shoulder injury, who plays in a problem position, over a free kick merchant in the relegation zone. Sorry.

Rice can screen fine, you don't need two DMs on the pitch for the group games (or we shouldn't) and we've all seen Southgate's England play by now, as soon as a tough opponent comes up it'll be three at the back and playing the counter/set pieces.

Being able to do back to back 90 minutes in a tournament schedule isn't prepared for by some cardio work while your shoulder heals up when your position is expected to cover the midfield and runners.

When has it ever worked out for England taking a player just back or still recovering from an injury?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

sebzilla posted:

JWP should have been in this team for years, international games are scrappy as hell usually and his set pieces are world class, Clive.

Jonjo Shelvey imo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Remember when you tied :911: in 2010?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Remember when you tied :911: in 2010?

Yeah that's not happening. I fancy Wales to win all their games and England to win theirs bar Wales. Book it.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
me and me mum and me dad and me gran etc

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
didn't read any of this but good luck boys

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

imagine leaving out this drip

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Yeah that's not happening. I fancy Wales to win all their games and England to win theirs bar Wales. Book it.

Eh, probably. I just remember laughing my way through that game at a Manchester pub.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

I'm going to be in London for the USA v Engerland game. I should find a decent pub to watch it in.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

in a short tournament, defending/converting set pieces is extremely valuable and JWP is really good at that

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

When has it ever worked out for England taking a player just back or still recovering from an injury?

LOL same was said about Maguire last summer and he made team of the tournament.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

in a short tournament, defending/converting set pieces is extremely valuable and JWP is really good at that

So is trippier who is actually good at playing right back/right wing back

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Interesting news about team selection

https://twitter.com/stevenKloppLFC2/status/1590693561665982465?t=AWGipC_aHKqOUWz2uvz5oQ&s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Mate

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

so much mate you should put a steel straw in it

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

now that's managerial skills

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Toney >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kane

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

Lol this Henderson vid in the comments:

https://twitter.com/AhThfcah21345/status/1590732414535753729

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Making my biennial appearance in this forum to say again, It's Coming Home

Also good OP, op

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Alctel posted:

Making my biennial appearance in this forum to say again, It's Coming Home

Also good OP, op

:hmmyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xeqvc6CWNY

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

https://dubz.co/v/1qdj6a

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Just getting it all out before the World Cup starts.