Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Don't like being hopeful then disappointed by competent functional England who just come up short, give me lampard/gerrard joint managers and out in the last 16 every tournament

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Southgate is poo poo and England will never win anything under him (I have been saying this since 2018 and will continue to say so until at least 2024 it seems)

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

I enjoyed watching England in this WC and I'm glad he's staying.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Frankston posted:

Southgate is poo poo and England will never win anything under him

Brave of you to say something that is true of all but one England manager ever

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
theres basically nobody else to take over. i just wish he could be progressive in his subs if things aren't working instead of waiting until its too late through either conceding or time

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

Do people forget how poo poo we were in knockout rounds of tournaments even with the so called golden generation? I don't doubt that Southgate has flaws but aside from progressing far in 3 consecutive tournaments I don't think his stellar work at making the England team seem like a genuinely cohesive and nice bunch of lads who enjoy playing with each other can be understated. Supporting England in the Lampard/Rooney/Terry/Ferdinand era always left a bit of a bad taste at the back of my throat. I'm fully passionate about the team now. That's all Southgate. Losing on penalties in the euros and to two finalists in the world cups isn't shameful.

No I remember following England from Italia 90 onwards. Sven's teams got knocked out by one of the best Brazil teams we've seen in my lifetime and decent Portugal sides. Absolute credit to Southgate for solving the clique problem in the dressing room, but his own brand of mismanagement is going to waste another great generation of talent, just like the general FA mismanagement wasted the Gerrard/Beckham/Rooney et al generation.

Southgate is far too cowardly, from a tactical perspective, he's not a winner and he's not ruthless. He's a piss poor win rate against teams considered equal or better than England. His win record at World Cups is against Tunisia, Panama, Iran, Wales, Senegal, Sweden sans Zlatan. Needed pens to get past a poo poo Colombia. Much was made of beating a Germany team at the Euros that's failed to get out of the groups in a world cup twice in a row now.

There was a stage at 1-1 against France where England were in the ascendancy and an attacking change (since Foden just wasn't in the game at all) could have made all the difference. Instead he waited until the 85th minute, after France were in front again, before bringing on his top scorer in the tournament.

Southgate's done what he can. This squad should be capable of competing for honours but won't while he's calling the shots. By the next World Cup Kane will be well into his 30s and who knows what state his ankles will be in then or how much deeper he's decided he likes to play. Walker likely won't be there, neither will Trippier.

So, great, the squad doesn't hate each other because they play for different clubs. Thanks Gareth. Now someone else needs to get a better tune out of the supposedly harmonised squad.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Rarity posted:

Brave of you to say something that is true of all but one England manager ever

glenn hoddle won le tournoi

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Thanks Gareth. Now someone else

Who

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
southgate is no tactical mastermind, but england have 6 good wide attacking players and 80% of the criticism is people convincing themselves that whichever two don't feature in a game are the two that would have transformed it

the other 20% tends to be imagining alternative strikers and central midfielders we don't have

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

peanut- posted:

southgate is no tactical mastermind, but england have 6 good wide attacking players and 80% of the criticism is people convincing themselves that whichever two don't feature in a game are the two that would have transformed it

the other 20% tends to be imagining alternative strikers and central midfielders we don't have

but what if we played in a diamond and all of the players in the diamond were joe cole

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

peanut- posted:

Are you honestly claiming it was sound to leave the team's top scorer on the bench until the 85th minute when 2-1 down?

No idea, if only I was a multi million pound organisation with the resources to plan ahead and scout this poo poo

Plenty of other teams seem to have found managers with some tactical nous that can punch above their weight, why can't England attract one with a salary of 6m quid a year?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

but what if we played in a diamond and all of the players in the diamond were joe cole

Joke hole

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Extra time means there's even less time between the end of the World Cup and proper football starting again

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Are you honestly claiming it was sound to leave the team's top scorer on the bench until the 85th minute when 2-1 down?

if rashford had come on earlier and not done anything southgate would be an tactical imbecile for not bringing on grealish or for taking off foden. it's just a self-fulfilling criticism in any game england lose.

it's why don't we play paul scholes and steven gerrard and frank lampard in a line all over again

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

sebzilla posted:

Joke hole

allegedly, but wait till you see what I can do with a golf ball

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

peanut- posted:

if rashford had come on earlier and not done anything southgate would be an tactical imbecile for not bringing on grealish or for taking off foden. it's just a self-fulfilling criticism in any game england lose.

it's why don't we play paul scholes and steven gerrard and frank lampard in a line all over again

If Rashford comes on earlier/starts and doesn't do anything that's on Rashford, playing your in form goal scorer, ESPECIALLY when their style of play suits the opponent, is a no brainer.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jose posted:

theres basically nobody else to take over. i just wish he could be progressive in his subs if things aren't working instead of waiting until its too late through either conceding or time

How about if he stayed on as general mood manager and hired an actual tactician to run matches. I'm sure there's a >0% possibility in this universe

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Someone re-quote that post about how the game against France was the real final

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Paperhouse posted:

I think we'd have done Argentina tbh. France will win the tournament, this was the real final

oops!

but in my defence, you don't need another team to win the final to be in the final but it is the final

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

now I'm also remembering the time that people wanted David Beckham to play as a "quarterback", which is a position from an entirely different and even stupider sport, and then went on to describe what Michael Carrick did if Michael Carrick was physically incapable of any form of defending

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

now I'm also remembering the time that people wanted David Beckham to play as a "quarterback", which is a position from an entirely different and even stupider sport, and then went on to describe what Michael Carrick did if Michael Carrick was physically incapable of any form of defending

even stupider was that people wanted Wayne Rooney, a striker, to play the "quarterback role"

and one of those people was David Moyes

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Paperhouse posted:

even stupider was that people wanted Wayne Rooney, a striker, to play the "quarterback role"

and one of those people was David Moyes

Counterpoint
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdB8By1wUBE

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Yeah Wayne Rooney was football-smart as all hell and played really well as a mid lol

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i'll coach em

it doesnt seem that hard. i'll just check this thread when im in a match and if things go awry i'll tell the press to take it up with "A Buffer Gay Dude" or "Hegay"

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i'll coach em

it doesnt seem that hard. i'll just check this thread when im in a match and if things go awry i'll tell the press to take it up with "A Buffer Gay Dude" or "Hegay"

go back to world of tanks and eve online

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

This was the stupidest thing ever and only happened to justify still putting Becks in the team after his pace was too shot to stay on the wing

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Looks like the fair play award came home. A lovely stamp of approval from the qatari world cup

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Looks like the fair play award came home. A lovely stamp of approval from the qatari world cup

Actually, not stamping is why they got the award.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

Actually, not stamping is why they got the award.

The most Zen award. First there is a medal then there is no medal

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

NotJustANumber99 posted:

No more years of hurt :hmmyes:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

No more years of hurt :hmmyes:

No more need for screaming

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

The most Zen award. First there is a medal then there is no medal

in a way you watch the medal appear, then disappear

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

look for the dirty tackle that wasn't made

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

peanut- posted:

what if he came on with enough time to do anything and scored and they won

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Parity warning posted:

what if he came on with enough time to do anything and scored and they won
i don’t think the world cup final would have been as good if it was argentina vs morocco

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

jesus WEP posted:

i don’t think the world cup final would have been as good if it was argentina vs morocco

Croatia vs England bronze is The Real Final

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
England men got no players or Garth into the sports personality shortlist. They probably won't even get in the honours list unless Rishi is determined to prove that he really likes football guys.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

goatface posted:

England men got no players or Garth into the sports personality shortlist. They probably won't even get in the honours list unless Rishi is determined to prove that he really likes football guys.

They'd need to have personalities.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They have tattoos, and haircuts, and some of them wear their socks lower than the others. That's enough for most students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Shrapnig posted:

They'd need to have personalities.

rashford likes to feed kids but that upsets the PM