Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Where will Morocco finish in the group?
1st
1st
1st
1st
View Results

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Atlas Lions are here, and they're loving hungry. What's on the menu? A Canadian poutine? A Belgian waffle? A Croatian....peka? It's all of the above.
Welcome to the Morocco World Cup thread.

1) A Brief History of The Atlas Lions

Morocco have a relatively recent history of World Cup participation. Morocco was formerly occupied by noted snail eaters and abject misery personified, the French. As is their custom, France stole the best players from Morocco to play for their abject failure of a national team. All French successes of this era can be traced to stolen African players.

Modern Morocco has done well for a smaller nation, becoming the first Arab or African country to ever qualify to the round of 16 in 1986 by winning their group ahead of Portugal, England, and Poland. Predominantly in the footballing wilderness afterward, Morocco last managed to win a World Cup game in 1998, although they did qualify manage to qualify for the 2018 Russian World Cup after missing out on 4 successive World Cups. Morocco won the FIFA Arab Cup in 2012, which is undoubtedly the most prestigious cup in existence. No future editions of the Arab Cup until occurred 2021 because of fears over repeated Moroccan dominance lowering the esteem of the cup.

1930-1954: Occupied by noted colonial bitches, France
1958-1966: Did not enter, did not qualify, or in the case of 1966, was part of a pan-African boycott of the World Cup
1970: Group stage
1974-1982: Did not qualify
1986: Round of 16, Morocco's best result to date
1990: Did not qualify
1994-1998: Group stage
2002-2014: Did not qualify
2018: Group stage
2022: Winners

2) Players

In recent times, Morocco have relied on fancy dan foreign based players for the national team. 3 players in the World Cup squad play domestically, and many more were neither born nor ever lived in Morocco. The squad in general is light on caps, with only 2 players having over 50 caps. Strangely, the manager has decided that Sven-Göran Eriksson didn't go far enough and called up a teenager with no senior caps to the full national team.

Star players:
1. Hakim Ziyech - Born in the Netherlands to a Moroccan family, Ziyech came to the Morocco squad later on after switching his allegiance from the Netherlands. On his day, Ziyech is a mercurial attacking talent but his national team commitment has been plagued by accusations of having a poor attitude and lack of desire. Ziyech retired from international football like a complete pissbaby after being called out by the former national team coach over faking an injury. Upon Halilhodžic being sacked, Ziyech was offered a chance to return to the team. He'll be the conduit where the team's attack is funneled.

2. Achraf Hakimi - Somehow having the second most caps in the squad despite being 24, Hakimi is one of the world's best fullbacks. How he performs will likely directly correlate to how the team performs overall.

3. Romain Saiss - once racially abused by Voldemort, he now plays in the forgotten wasteland of Turkey.

Goalkeepers: Yassine Bounou (Sevilla), Munir Mohamedi (Al Wehda), Ahmed Reda Tagnaouti (Wydad AC)

Defenders: Achraf Hakimi (PSG), Noussair Mazraoui (Bayern Munich), Roman Saiss (Besiktas) [C], Nayef Aguerd (West Ham), Jawad El Yamiq (Real Valladolid), Achraf Dari(Brest), Yahia Attiat – Allal(Wydad), Badr Benoun(Qatar SC)

Midfielders: Sofyan Amrabat (Fiorentina), Selim Amallah (Standard Liege), Azzedine Ounahi (Angers), Abdelhamid Sabiri(Sampdoria), Yahya Jabrane(Wydad), Bilel El(Genk)

Forwards: Hakim Ziyech (Chelsea), Youssef En-Nesyri (Sevilla), Abde Ezzalzouli (Osasuna), Walid Cheddira( SSC Bari), Amine Harit(OM), Ilaias Chair(QPR), Sofiane Boufal(Angers), Abderrazak Hamdallah(Al- Ittihad)

Players Out:
Bencharki:

Dirar:

Fajr:

3) The Kits:

Home:

Away:

4) The Odds: They're gonna loving win it all, Inshallah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Good kits. Go Atlas lions!!!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
It’ll be interesting to see if they or Croatia/Canada get out of the group stage. I’m assuming Belgium will finish first but could see any of the other three finishing second with a little luck.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Poor Amine Harit has been injured so Morocco are trying to call up Brahim Diaz.

https://sempremilan.com/tmw-brahim-diaz-could-receive-world-cup-call-up-but-not-from-spain

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You decide:

Diaz:

Harit:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

builds character posted:

It’ll be interesting to see if they or Croatia/Canada get out of the group stage. I’m assuming Belgium will finish first but could see any of the other three finishing second with a little luck.

Canada
Morocco
Croatia
Blegum

imo

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It’s almost time. Get hyped for Maroc 🇲🇦

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Decent point that

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The boys looked good today but Croatia also looked pretty lethargic

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

THE MAROC IS HERE

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

THE BEST BOYS FROM MAROC

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Souk on that

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Maroc! Group winners??

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Maroc! Group winners??

All signs point to yes

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DO YOU SMELL WHAT THE MAROC IS COOKIN?!?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Go Morocco

Maybe now they can finally host a world cup

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

DO YOU SMELL WHAT THE MAROC IS COOKIN?!?

Tajine it!

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Good job Morocco

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Le M’roc

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I'm in Rabat and just impressed by the all-around positive vibes of a Moroccan victory celebration no stupid poo poo going on at all as far as I can see. I was watching the game at a cafe, and since I'm an American I felt like I should hang back and let the locals watch. But there was some kid who wasn't having any of that and kept making room for me and motioning for me to come over.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Morocco wins the group but still has to play Spain

That's mean

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Morocco wins the group but still has to play Spain

That's mean

Better than playing actual good team Japan

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The bravest, bestest boys are back in action against the disgusting colonizers from spain. Let us hope that spain are eliminated, Morocco win it all, and Melilla and Ceuta are freed from the grasp of tyranny

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

The bravest, bestest boys are back in action against the disgusting colonizers from spain. Let us hope that spain are eliminated, Morocco win it all, and Melilla and Ceuta are freed from the grasp of tyranny

Inshallah

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The Maroc Hussein Obama's are going to come down on the Spanish like they're a Yemeni wedding.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MY BEAUTIFUL BOYS HAVE DONE IT

gently caress SPAIN GET HYPED

LETS GO

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Marrakesh me if you can

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Maroc

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
They're gonna win the whole thing

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

the sex ghost posted:

They're gonna win the whole thing

good.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I'm in Rabat and just impressed by the all-around positive vibes of a Moroccan victory celebration no stupid poo poo going on at all as far as I can see. I was watching the game at a cafe, and since I'm an American I felt like I should hang back and let the locals watch. But there was some kid who wasn't having any of that and kept making room for me and motioning for me to come over.

owns

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

*Swinging a Nimcha around to the Lion-O moves*
Maroc
Maroc
MAROC
Marocco
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

*Swinging a Nimcha around to the Lion-O moves*
Maroc
Maroc
MAROC
Marocco
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

They defeated the evil forces of Pass-Ra

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Porrima posted:

They defeated the evil forces of Pass-Ra

Listening to the theme in my head now with "Thunder/Thundercats" subbed for "Maroc/Marocco" and it owns

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jules Rimet still gleaming

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
ATLAS LIONS

ATLAS.

LIONS.

gently caress YESSSS

This one’s for you abdel-Karim al khattabi!!!

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
reconquista reversed