Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Football or Football?
Real :911: Football
Fake-o Euro Soccer
View Results

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Ah, football. Eleven men on each side fighting it out on the gridiron. The pinnacle of human endeavor. Sadly that's not what this thread is about.

Instead we're here to talk about soccer.

Yes, it's World Cup time and the :911: is competing. Yes, my fellow Americans, apparently this is thing. Foreigners with functional governments seem to like it so it can't be that bad. I even hear that it's played by professionals in some of our larger cities. And our smaller cities too. Yeah, I know, right?

All kidding aside, there's not much to remember about Team :911: in the World Cup. In fact, I'll show you the only two moments where we've ever mattered. Both involve Landon Donovan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7eZmKWW9s4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX2D7L-v8uI

And since we're playing again this year, I guess I'd better tell you about Are Troops:

GOALKEEPERS
Ethan Horvath (Luton Town), Sean Johnson (New York City FC), Matt Turner (Arsenal)

DEFENDERS
Cameron Carter-Vickers (Celtic), Sergino Dest (AC Milan), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls), Shaq Moore (Nashville SC), Tim Ream (Fulham), Antonee Robinson (Fulham), Joe Scally (Borussia Monchengladbach), DeAndre Yedlin (Inter Miami CF), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC)

MIDFIELDERS
Brenden Aaronson (Leeds United), Kellyn Acosta (LAFC), Tyler Adams (Leeds United), Luca de la Torre (Celta Vigo), Weston McKennie (Juventus), Yunus Musah (Valencia), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC)

FORWARDS
Jesus Ferreira (FC Dallas), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea), Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund), Josh Sargent (Norwich City), Tim Weah (Lille), Haji Wright (Antalyaspor)

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Death to America

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

In the World Cup? Yeah, probably.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
So who is the starting keeper for this? Turner’s barely played this season right?

Also I don’t know if Dest is still just adjusting but he’s been pretty loving bad for Milan.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

So who is the starting keeper for this? Turner’s barely played this season right?

Also I don’t know if Dest is still just adjusting but he’s been pretty loving bad for Milan.

Turner if healthy. He has played in most of the Europa League matches except the last 2 due to injury. He didn't play the Carabao Cup match too. So he played 4 matches this season. He must be fresh.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Please post choice meltdowns of USMNT twitter on Pepi not making the team plz and ty

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

stab posted:

Please post choice meltdowns of USMNT twitter on Pepi not making the team plz and ty

Such a thing exists?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Interesting team, all things considered. They got the roster turnover and fresh blood they've badly needed for years (Yedlin is the only holdover from the 2014 team), but inexperience is a big factor -- it's the youngest World Cup team by average age. Plus you got weird poo poo going on like Pulisic who can't see the field at Chelsea, and a 50-year-old Tim Ream who might be starting next to a bunch of kids.

I don't expect them to get out of group play, but it should be more fun to watch than the last few USMNT cycles.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

I think a lot of outcomes are possible with this team. Our backline is very shaky, i do not feel confident in any of the fit CBs and Dest is a fun player but not always especially good at defending. Harry Kane might score 4.

The attacking players have tons of potential, but its more potential than actual so far (which to be fair half of them are like 20 years old.) If you're not familiar with them, other than the obvious (Pulisic), Musah and Reyna are extremely talented teenagers who might end up being the best two of this bunch, if Reyna can stay fit anyway. Aaronson and Adams have been in very good form for Leeds. Mckennie has been choppy but often is pretty useful for Juventus. Tim Weah is also kind of good. The striker situation is more of a question mark, Josh Sargent has risen from the dead by rampaging in the Championship for 6 weeks, which is in fact a better league than the league the other 2 options play in. Ferreira has been featured in the team more recently but lost form somewhere around August.

I think the big questions on the starting 11 against Wales will be who gets left out from Mckennie, Reyna, and Aaronson, which CB starts with Zimmerman, and if it is Ferreira or Sargent upfront. My guess right now would be Reyna off the bench, Long, and Sargent but I wouldn't be shocked otherwise and Gregg is usually good for at least one wild card decision - maybe we see Aaronson in the midfield instead if Mckennie isn't fully fit.

The other thing I'll mention if you haven't watched this U.S. team, they very deliberately do not play like past U.S. teams, for better or worse. Berhalter (the manager) believes heavily in pressing, passing out of the back, and playing a much more possession oriented style than the U.S. team has traditionally played. His view is that the U.S. needs to develop into a team that dominates the ball, rather than a counter attacking team, and this young group can do it. A lot of these younger players have the technical ability to do so, and when it works its great, but many U.S. fans think the results may be better with a more pragmatic approach. I'd say the big problem is we may have 5-10 players who work in that style but the team is still not deep in terms of technical ability, so the drop off can be rough. Berhalter believes in the long run its the right approach, and he might be right, but in the short term it sometimes looks extremely disjointed.

I think getting out of the group is a reasonable goal, but its a young team and none of the opponents are easy. I generally like a lot of these players and think they could be the core of a really good team in 4 years, but the expectations this time are going to be ahead of themselves probably. I hope Gio Reyna does some cool poo poo.

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 11, 2022

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

G-Hawk posted:

Harry Kane might score 4.

conte's been making him run up and down hills every day for a year, he's knackered. italians just can't stop trolling england.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ferreria and Sargent both kinda suck and the US should maximize their talent by getting as many midfielders on the field as possible

4-6-0 baby!

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Ferreria and Sargent both kinda suck and the US should maximize their talent by getting as many midfielders on the field as possible

4-6-0 baby!

Well, we are managed by a bald fraud...

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Of course there is a player called Shaq Moore

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
USA are no joke and could very easily top the group and go on a run into the later stages. Im basing this entirely on Brenden Aaronson and Tyler Adams aka the A team who will carry these other clowns on their backs

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Remember when the only American players of note were the CTE dodgers who could catch and carved out decent goalie careers?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

USA are no joke and could very easily top the group and go on a run into the later stages. Im basing this entirely on Brenden Aaronson and Tyler Adams aka the A team who will carry these other clowns on their backs

:thunk:

no clue what to think of the USMNT yet. My guess is squeak through the group and get flushed in the last 16, or finish 3rd in the group on Some Bullshit in the final match day. Either way, can't see this collection getting farther than that.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Get beaten by Iran and they do a celebration that causes a diplomatic incident

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
gas

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
Pulisic has his rare bright moments for Chelsea but when that's your team's best player, good luck.

They might squeak out a win against Wales since Gareth Bale's best days are behind him now, but I don't see them beating England or a deep Iran team ranked higher than most of the B-tier European teams

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

how did they do last time?

lmao

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Ginger Messi will win the Golden Boot

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

paddyboat posted:

Ginger Messi will win the Golden Boot

What's De Bruyne got to do with the USA

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Ginger Maradona it is then

paddyboat fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 11, 2022

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

He’s ugly, rich, and in bed with oil states?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
excited for the footy

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
It's coming home.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
We could lose every other match by 80 points, so long as we keep our record of never losing to England in the World Cup. Another tie is acceptable, but preferably we win so that we can say that we beat them at their own sport that we don't even care about.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

The Lord of Hats posted:

tie is acceptable

unamerican!!

can't wait to find out who gets injured this weekend

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
One of my favorite things in watching the world cup from the US is the absurd American media attempts to hype up the US team. Pusilic as the Lebron of soccer is cool.

I miss the days where they'd list Landon Donovan as like a top 5 forward in the world.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Weston McKennie is a national treasure and a good lad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1rGnxehvak

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

DEFENDERS
Shaq Moore (Nashville SC),
I'm glad to know there's yet another Shaq making it in professional sports 20 odd years after Shaquille O'Neal became an NBA star.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

drake no: "pulisic should move to a mid-table club for more playing time"
drake yes: chelsea are the mid table club now

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

sewooooo

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

builds character posted:

Weston McKennie is a national treasure and a good lad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1rGnxehvak

He's a midfield workhorse OP. If he goes down, the side are screwed. These guys are talented, but like 4 years away from being actual.

joepinetree posted:

One of my favorite things in watching the world cup from the US is the absurd American media attempts to hype up the US team. Pusilic as the Lebron of soccer is cool.

I miss the days where they'd list Landon Donovan as like a top 5 forward in the world.

The Spanish announcers on Univision call him Captayn Amerrieca with a very pronounced hispanic accent and it's hilarious.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Doctor Teeth posted:

drake no: "pulisic should move to a mid-table club for more playing time"
drake yes: chelsea are the mid table club now

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Is this the thread we post about it coming home?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

davecrazy posted:

Yes. It's coming home.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ohtori Akio posted:

Yes. It's coming home.

Look out Georgie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

davecrazy posted:

It's coming home in four years, yes.