Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Football or Football?
Real :911: Football
Fake-o Euro Soccer
View Results

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Crazy Ted posted:

It's coming home in four years, yes.

Everybody hanging their CUM flags and banners, parades being organised, it’s enough to bring a tear to your eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i haven't watched any pro soccer

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

Everybody hanging their CUM flags and banners, parades being organised, it’s enough to bring a tear to your eye.

getting my to see all the games

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

I'm pretty certain the only players coming into this tournament with any sort of form are the Leeds crew and both Tim Ream, the Javier Zanetti of St Charles County, MO, and Josh Sargent, the Lionel Messi of St Charles County, MO. (No, really, they both even went to the same high school.)

Considering nobody knows who's going to start in goal (and there were actual people wanting to give the Maccabi Haifa GK a call-up as a result, because he couldn't hurt), Gergg Berhalter's continued insistence in making Walker Zimmerman the first name on the team sheet when Ream and CCV are both better options, Weston McKennie having to play Allegriball, and Christian Pulisic continuing to be a fraud, this could be a tournament where they could win their group or crash out with 0 points.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Has anyone consulted the FIFA rule book to see if a team can achieve negative points

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

sticksy posted:

Has anyone consulted the FIFA rule book to see if a team can achieve negative points

after I saw this today, yes https://twitter.com/usmnt/status/1591786248896929792?s=46&t=Qh5mCMkycF3_ePTez12BzA

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Troy Queef posted:

I'm pretty certain the only players coming into this tournament with any sort of form are the Leeds crew and both Tim Ream, the Javier Zanetti of St Charles County, MO, and Josh Sargent, the Lionel Messi of St Charles County, MO. (No, really, they both even went to the same high school.)

Considering nobody knows who's going to start in goal (and there were actual people wanting to give the Maccabi Haifa GK a call-up as a result, because he couldn't hurt), Gergg Berhalter's continued insistence in making Walker Zimmerman the first name on the team sheet when Ream and CCV are both better options, Weston McKennie having to play Allegriball, and Christian Pulisic continuing to be a fraud, this could be a tournament where they could win their group or crash out with 0 points.

If 0 points happens, Gregg is probably fired and that's good

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If 0 points happens, Gregg is probably fired and that's good
There will be at least a handful of people on social media who will unironically suggest that Greeg be replaced with Jason Sudekis dressed up as Ted Lasso.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Crazy Ted posted:

There will be at least a handful of people on social media who will unironically suggest that Greeg be replaced with Jason Sudekis dressed up as Ted Lasso.

To be fair, he wouldn’t be worse.

Mr. Mambold posted:

He's a midfield workhorse OP. If he goes down, the side are screwed. These guys are talented, but like 4 years away from being actual.

There are some talented players on the squad and I unironically think that US soccer development has improved greatly over the past 20 years. There’s finally a legit pipeline of players going to Europe and the US’s most talented players are getting minutes on champions league teams. That is, for better or worse, still a far cry from being competitive. Look at the team above the US - basically the same values on transfermarkt (yeah, I know it has issues but as a very broad proxy for value it’s not the worst). USA is €274.9 million. Switzerland is €281. But all of Switzerland’s players play for top leagues. They have a coherent style and are well coached. It’s just not the same.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

:chloe:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
One week to go

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Looking forward to drawing with England and finishing 3rd in the group.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I believe that we will win

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Matt Turner owns

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

barnold posted:

Matt Turner owns

This is a bold claim.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Shrapnig posted:

This is a bold claim.

nope

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Omnikin posted:

I believe that we will win

It's such a stupid chant

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

binge crotching posted:

It's such a stupid chant

It really is. Repeating a self-help-sounding mantra as a sports chant

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

This is a bold claim.

He's actually consistent, unlike Zach Steffens who lets in bloopers. He has that necessary keeper aura of "gently caress off, we're full!".

Judgy Fucker posted:

It really is. Repeating a self-help-sounding mantra as a sports chant

This needs to be made into a chant- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3eC35LoF4U :doit:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

He's actually consistent, unlike Zach Steffens who lets in bloopers. He has that necessary keeper aura of "gently caress off, we're full!".

He's played 4 games this season and was injured two weeks ago.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

He's played 4 games this season and was injured two weeks ago.

What's Tim Howard doing lately.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Mr. Mambold posted:

Put him in.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

He's been retired for two years, do you smell burning toast?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

He's been retired for two years, do you smell burning toast?

If that's the smell of your lack of a sense of humor, yes.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Mr. Mambold posted:

Works for NBC's coverage of the Premier League. He is not good at it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

If that's the smell of your lack of a sense of humor, yes.

Post something funny and we'll get to the bottom of this.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

Post something funny and we'll get to the bottom of this.

lmao No U

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I guess we'll never know.

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
imagine not starting Big Tim Ream and Antonee Robinson at every game in the World Cup. Guaranteed third place in the groups, and I mean that in a nice way.

Furthermore, bring back Clip Dempy

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Laaaaaaaandon
Donovan
captain of my heart

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Wazzerphuk posted:

imagine not starting Big Tim Ream and Antonee Robinson at every game in the World Cup. Guaranteed third place in the groups, and I mean that in a nice way.

Furthermore, bring back Clip Dempy

excuse me, but they can’t hold Walker Zimmerman’s jock. Have they ever done it on a calm Saturday night in Portland? Thought not.

—Gregg Berhalter, likely

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Omnikin posted:

Laaaaaaaandon
Donovan
captain of my heart

Greatest commercial ever imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEn_wrANGuY

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Wonder how far back Landon's hairline must be now

Also, Never Forget these classics from their 2002 USMNT WC photo shoot

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I picked up a copy of the most recent Sports Illustrated, ft. a lot of World Cup discussion. Pics in there aren't much better, I'll have to get some good copies

McKennie in particular really pulling off something like this

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

sticksy posted:

:flashfap: Memba when Alexi Lalas had long curly ginger hair and a goatee to match? Just grunge as gently caress.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

lmao

Who thought 'yes this is a great idea'

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

sticksy posted:

And guess what: they did that photo shoot and then went to the quarterfinals in Japan/Korea.

Coincidence? I think not

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Usa all the way

This is what I say

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Great news for the US, Zack Steffen has been in top form for Boro since returning from injury a while back and just played a blinder vs Norwich.

Checks notes

Lmao.

Berhalter better hope there's no major goalkeeping error or injury or he may look really silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jiro posted:

:flashfap: Memba when Alexi Lalas had long curly ginger hair and a goatee to match? Just grunge as gently caress.

He has a combover now.