Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Football or Football?
Real :911: Football
Fake-o Euro Soccer
View Results

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Rogue0071 posted:

Great news for the US, Zack Steffen has been in top form for Boro since returning from injury a while back and just played a blinder vs Norwich.

Checks notes

Lmao.

Berhalter better hope there's no major goalkeeping error or injury or he may look really silly.

sean johnson is fine. the us keeper problem is not having a particularly good #1, but we have several #2s so theres that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

He has a combover now.

We all get old...... sometimes worse than others. :smith:

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Hell, I'm imagining it

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Wrong thread

Or maybe this thread can just be completely merged with Weekend Web somehow??

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
If rumors are true, Odell Beckham Jr seems like a better fit for the German team

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Steve Nash in a big puffy jacket on the sideline looking incredibly disappointed, I feel.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

This is my 2nd most favorite type of US media soccer content. The first is the over hyping of American players ( 2006's ESPN ad "Ronaldo, Zidane, Donovan, all the soccer stars are in Germany" or something like that was a thing of beauty).

Ill never forget how in 2002 after the US lost to Germany Wynalda was on TV saying that if the top American athletes played soccer they'd dominate soccer the same way they dominate basketball (and then the US proceeded to finish 6th in the world basketball championship literally the next month).

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

espn deleted the tweet after usmnt twitter had a minor melt down about it

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
Thank God

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

G-Hawk posted:

it's so lovely to take your national team and go "could you imagine how good the team would be if it was these guys instead??"

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

It's also really really funny because it's ESPN.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It's funny because ESPN and the like are constantly torn and bouncing back and forth between "actually, American players are among the best in the world" and "yeah, we suck, but can you imagine if Lebron James played soccer?"

The stupidity is obvious (the reason Messi in the best argentinean player isn't because they lack 6'10 athletes), but ESPN doesn't know how to sell an event where Americans aren't the overwhelming favorites.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i guess its progress in u.s. soccer media that it was just a dumb tweet and everyone yelled at them and it got deleted instead of being some giant feature article or whatever.

i'd guess espn's coverage of this world cup generally blows with fox having the rights.

speaking of, Fox announced their commentary teams for the group stage and they're actually pretty good except for Landon Donovan who has been terrible behind the mic everytime i've heard him. Ian Darke can carry him probably. https://worldsoccertalk.com/news/world-cup-2022-commentator-schedule-on-fox-and-fs1-20221117-WST-405572.html. Strong and Holden aren't my favorite but they're tolerable compared to the horror days of dave o'brien

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Speaking of FOX, https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/11/18/fox-qatar-world-cup-coverage/

It's a meh commentary teams to really bad compared to what ESPN offered when they had the World Cup. I like Ian Darke and Derek Rae. Jacqui Oatley is decent. John Strong is fine. Not a fan of JP Dellacamera. The co-commentators are pretty bad. Stu Holden is ok at best. Never heard Landon Donovan call matches. Aly Wagner is decent and has a good rapport with Derek Rae. Cobi Jones is awful and same with Warren Barton.

Their studio team is bad too. I wish Alexis Lalas is off television and Dr. Joe is a fraud of a ref.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

joepinetree posted:

It's funny because ESPN and the like are constantly torn and bouncing back and forth between "actually, American players are among the best in the world" and "yeah, we suck, but can you imagine if Lebron James played soccer?"

The stupidity is obvious (the reason Messi in the best argentinean player isn't because they lack 6'10 athletes), but ESPN doesn't know how to sell an event where Americans aren't the overwhelming favorites.

:emptyquote:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Since this is the US thread, and I'm sure it's only about discussing the team itself. I'm still gonna ask anyway. Is it the fox sports app that I'll need to watch the matches? Will I need to pay, or are the streams free? I won't be in-front of a TV during the time the matches are going on.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Ian Darke is great. I watch exclusively dodgy streams from the UK and US, and he’s easily top
five out of all the commentators.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Zotix posted:

Since this is the US thread, and I'm sure it's only about discussing the team itself. I'm still gonna ask anyway. Is it the fox sports app that I'll need to watch the matches? Will I need to pay, or are the streams free? I won't be in-front of a TV during the time the matches are going on.

FOX has the English language rights. It will be airing on FOX or FS1 pending matches. It will stream on the FOX Sports app but will need cable authenication. The full replay of matches will be streaming on Tubi TV.
Telemundo has the Spanish language rights. It will air most matches on Telemundo with a few on Universo. It will stream on Peacock for free for the first couple matches but afterwards it will only be for Peacock Premium members.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So I can't throw $10 at Fox Sports app to watch it? It needs to be linked to an active cable/ whatever subscription?

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Zotix posted:

So I can't throw $10 at Fox Sports app to watch it? It needs to be linked to an active cable/ whatever subscription?

Yep. You can pay like $5/month for Peacock. Looks like the first 12 matches are free and then it is paywalled after that.

https://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2022/11/17/how-to-watch-the-fifa-world-cup-2022-in-spanish/

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Zotix posted:

if you want english based commentary, your best option is probably sling blue for a month then cancel, its 20 bucks (1/2 off the first month) and has fox and fs1 (and other poo poo i guess)

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

To be fair it takes next to nothing to cause USMNT Twitter to have a minor meltdown.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

As we all know, physical attributes are all that matter in a team sport.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Zotix posted:

See if one of the streaming providers like Sling or Fubo has a few trial you can take advantage of.

Crazy Ted posted:

To be fair it takes next to nothing to cause USMNT Twitter to have a minor meltdown.

Are they still melting down that there aren't a negative number of MLS players on the squad?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Are they still melting down that there aren't a negative number of MLS players on the squad?
You really need to ask that question?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just spent a half hour doing research on this.

1. In the US, English-language rights are owned exclusively by Fox. If you can do Spanish, Telemundo and Peacock will have all the games.

2. About half of the games, including all US games, will be on regular Fox. You can get it on your TV without cable. Search Google for Fox’s WC schedule to see which games.

3. From now until Dec 2, the other half of the games will be on FS1. That’s cable. But I’m pretty sure you can stitch together enough free trials from cable streaming services to tide you over. Fubo has a seven day trial. Not sure how long it is for Sling and YouTube TV. Remember to cancel before the trial ends or you’ll be billed the monthly fee.

4. For all games from Dec 3 onwards (knockout rounds), they’ll be on regular Fox. No need for cable.

5. If you’re not a cheapskate and want to pay to stream all the games: you can just subscribe for a month to whatever streaming service you prefer. Just make sure it has FS1 and Fox.

6. For replays, I think you can watch free on Tubi, which is owned by Fox.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 20, 2022

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
7. Twitter is dying and you can probably find streams pretty easily.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Please update your Captain America charts:

https://twitter.com/USMNT/status/1594308314099236867

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Can you imagine the meltdown if Berhalter had named Roldan captain? I wouldn't care if the US lost every game 0-7, the outrage from AO would be amazing.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

whypick1 posted:

See if one of the streaming providers like Sling or Fubo has a few trial you can take advantage of.

Yeah this is good idea, Sling usually has 7 day trial (I use Sling)

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Sling Blue is the package that includes Fox/FS1. they frequently run promos for Blue + Sports Extra (which has FS2 and a bunch of other channels you might never watch ever). not sure if this is bad form but if anyone needs a referral code, I subbed for NFL Redzone and the code will get you $20 off the first month. without a promo code it's $40/mo for the base Blue package

obviously I would get a benefit from the referral too, but if you're just looking to subscribe for a month to watch the US matches then it could be worth it :shrug:

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

G-Hawk posted:

i guess its progress in u.s. soccer media that it was just a dumb tweet and everyone yelled at them and it got deleted instead of being some giant feature article or whatever.

i'd guess espn's coverage of this world cup generally blows with fox having the rights.

speaking of, Fox announced their commentary teams for the group stage and they're actually pretty good except for Landon Donovan who has been terrible behind the mic everytime i've heard him. Ian Darke can carry him probably. https://worldsoccertalk.com/news/world-cup-2022-commentator-schedule-on-fox-and-fs1-20221117-WST-405572.html. Strong and Holden aren't my favorite but they're tolerable compared to the horror days of dave o'brien

Remember Ty Keough? Yeah, me too. :smithicide:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Monday, Nov. 21
8 a.m. — England vs. Iran. FS1. — Ian Darke and Landon Donovan

11 a.m. — Senegal vs. Netherlands. FOX. — Derek Rae and Aly Wagner

2 p.m. — United States vs. Wales. FOX. — John Strong and Stu Holden

Looks like it'sTelemundo for Estadios Unidos vs. Wales.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

Troy Queef posted:

I'm pretty certain the only players coming into this tournament with any sort of form are the Leeds crew and both Tim Ream, the Javier Zanetti of St Charles County, MO, and Josh Sargent, the Lionel Messi of St Charles County, MO. (No, really, they both even went to the same high school.)

Considering nobody knows who's going to start in goal (and there were actual people wanting to give the Maccabi Haifa GK a call-up as a result, because he couldn't hurt), Gergg Berhalter's continued insistence in making Walker Zimmerman the first name on the team sheet when Ream and CCV are both better options, Weston McKennie having to play Allegriball, and Christian Pulisic continuing to be a fraud, this could be a tournament where they could win their group or crash out with 0 points.

I'm rooting for ream

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Ah, football. Eleven men on each side fighting it out on the gridiron. The pinnacle of human endeavor. Sadly that's not what this thread is about.

Instead we're here to talk about soccer.

Yes, it's World Cup time and the :911: is competing. Yes, my fellow Americans, apparently this is thing. Foreigners with functional governments

You lost me op

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Love how US gets the objectively worst commentary team for their opening match on the rah rah Merica Sports Network

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I wish they'd have boycotted. Earn a spot and then tell FIFA to gently caress themselves.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
oh no... what would the world cup be without the participation of the United States men's national team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Crazy Ted posted:

You really need to ask that question?

Oh I already knew the answer, just highlighting how US soccer fandom is The loving Worst.

binge crotching posted:

Can you imagine the meltdown if Berhalter had named Roldan captain? I wouldn't care if the US lost every game 0-7, the outrage from AO would be amazing.

:sickos: