Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Football or Football?
Real :911: Football
Fake-o Euro Soccer
View Results

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

builds character posted:

Weston McKennie is a national treasure and a good lad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1rGnxehvak

He's a midfield workhorse OP. If he goes down, the side are screwed. These guys are talented, but like 4 years away from being actual.

joepinetree posted:

One of my favorite things in watching the world cup from the US is the absurd American media attempts to hype up the US team. Pusilic as the Lebron of soccer is cool.

I miss the days where they'd list Landon Donovan as like a top 5 forward in the world.

The Spanish announcers on Univision call him Captayn Amerrieca with a very pronounced hispanic accent and it's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

This is a bold claim.

He's actually consistent, unlike Zach Steffens who lets in bloopers. He has that necessary keeper aura of "gently caress off, we're full!".

Judgy Fucker posted:

It really is. Repeating a self-help-sounding mantra as a sports chant

This needs to be made into a chant- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3eC35LoF4U :doit:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

He's played 4 games this season and was injured two weeks ago.

What's Tim Howard doing lately.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

He's been retired for two years, do you smell burning toast?

If that's the smell of your lack of a sense of humor, yes.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

Post something funny and we'll get to the bottom of this.

lmao No U

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Monday, Nov. 21
8 a.m. — England vs. Iran. FS1. — Ian Darke and Landon Donovan

11 a.m. — Senegal vs. Netherlands. FOX. — Derek Rae and Aly Wagner

2 p.m. — United States vs. Wales. FOX. — John Strong and Stu Holden

Looks like it'sTelemundo for Estadios Unidos vs. Wales.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I saw a preview of McKinney's hair all dyed and thought "that rascal evaded the ban and did a rainbow hair"....and now I wonder why they don't do that.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

pool 'a sick

G-Hawk posted:

i strongly disagree with not starting Reyna, he is easily our best player at breaking down defenses which wales is gonna be difficult to break down.

Other than that its fine, but leaving Reyna out is a mistake imo (I'd swap him for Weah and bring Weah off the bench today, then start Weah against England)

Him and Aaronson should be in there. I can't remember one good game from Robinson. Which means he'll either score or give up a pen.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Forceholy posted:

I, for one, am looking forward to the US getting got 8-nil-hilated on Friday.

ftfy

Big Black Dick posted:

I would start with someone competent, but they haven't managed that literally ever.

Is Claudio (big daddy) Reyna coaching?

edit- Hugo Perez is who I was thinking of last year. He was very good with a terrible side.

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 22, 2022

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

joepinetree posted:

My uncle was at the win. Then that night the BYU basketball team was touring South America and was playing the local club America, where this uncle played. My father did not attend the soccer game, but was at the basketball game, and the US team was there too, apparently intoxicated and very popular with local ladies.

I've seen film of that match and it was stupid how many point-blank chances England had that either the goalie stuffed or they missed. And the U.S. had the one shot on goal total, maybe 2. I think they'd had a few friendlies against the U.S. squad as a run-up and they were both around 9-0 England.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I reckon England are a good 3 goals better than the U.S. but it's a funny old game. Until it's not :usa:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

which U.S. defender will get a red card today.
Questions

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Wales would have to score like 8 goals to win the group, but not just to go through

If Iran and the USA draw and Wales beat England, then everyone is on 4 points except the USA (who go home in disgrace)

England currently have a goal difference of +4
Wales currently have a goal difference of -2
Iran currently have a goal difference of -2

Wales winning would put them ahead of Iran by right, but they would need to win by four to overtake England, which they would need to do if there's a winner in the Iran/USA game

Disgrace, hah! Americans will cheer their UNBEATEN SIDE. because we are dumbs

And everyone knows Wales can't beat England's 2nd side....

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

skasion posted:

Next World Cup we’ll probably bring Ricardo Pepi unless he’s injured or burns out. I was surprised they didn’t bring him to this one tbh, he’s not great but he’s the best young forward we have and the older players picked instead are uninspiring to say the least.

Strikers who average a goal a game are incredibly rare, and in international competitions they’re virtually non-existent (because scoring goals is harder when you’re in a team you only train with a couple times a year). If the US had one coming up you’d already have heard about it, he would be the hottest prospect the country has ever had, by miles. If we had a striker who could score even in every other game, this would be a pretty good team.

Leaving Pepi off, including Wright and Morris was a big mistake. Pepi's been scoring for his club team, a thing this 1 goal in 2 matches side could definitely use.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

Haji Wright is scoring more, in a better league. Jordan Morris I've never understood and he's been getting caps for 8 years.

Sorry, I meant that ginger playing for MLS. Agreed on Wright.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Can’t tell if you trolling

Half the time neither can I. :mrgw::coffee::hf::coffee::corsair:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

That's a typical classic dumbass fuckhead move by US Soccer, no trollstamp.

edit- well maybe if the flag had a hijab, it would be good for lols

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The histrionics if/when the US draw and go out will be incredible and I am here for them

Especially if it's from an obviously bad call.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Oh I know. I just do not believe that we will win.

What does this av mean, friend. Doth knoweth the secret "Sooner born, Sooner bred ...." mantra?

Shrapnig posted:

It's time to dust off one of these relics for the big day

And what the heck is that number 14 jersey?

Big lols all around, I forgot I owned that one

Lol

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

G-Hawk posted:

USMNT lineup vs Iran
Turner
Dest
Ream
Carter-Vickers
Robinson
Adams
McKennie
Musah
Weah
Sargent
Pulisic

no MLS players, CCV in for Zimmerman and Sargent up to.

Comedy option contest- who scores an own-goal.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

pulisic now a soprano

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

t a s t e posted:

His finish on the offside chance was quite nice

I thought it was close enough for a review. He basically played like crap, but scored what would have been a wonderful goal, which is a striker's only job really. Play like poo poo, stay the gently caress onside, score, reap profits.

[Dest was man of the match, imo. This is prime Serge Dest, dangerous whenever he had the ball at his feet, two-way all over the pitch until he ran out of gas. Carter-Vickers was a massive improvement over Zimmerman, who should be a last 10 minute guy from now on. If at all.

If only that bald fraud would give Reyna Jr. some minutes....

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

G-Hawk posted:

tyler adams is the man of every u.s. match imo

He was rock solid, no disagree. They have about 4-5 actual studs on this team, which is a first ever for USSF, and I think we all know who they are.

Your boy stanning for his boy here. eh try this https://twitter.com/fiascoknowsball/status/1597714027282837504/photo/1

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

Antonee Robinson was terrible yesterday, bad touches from him probably stopped half a dozen promising US counterattacks.

I can't remember a good showing by him ever, tbf. Bad touches is his M.O.

Nystral posted:

I'm trying to learn more about the game, is there anything I can watch that will better explain how Robinson's actions impeded the attacks?

Shrap, do you have Suqit's classic triangles post?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

:discourse:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Crazy Ted posted:

Funny you mention that, since thanks to new US national teams pay agreement the USWNT just got paid more than they did for winning both of the last two Women's World Cups due to the men making the second round of this one.

In excess of 5 million, yeah baby. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c7d8BYJy8I

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

In this case I guess the sword is bad substitutions that unbalance the team

I think the defense are sorted now, it's the attack that lack. Obviously the Reyna hate is a -1, Pepi included and a fit Daryl Dike might have been a revelation. I think he's trying to mold the attack too much featuring Pulisic. Him taking set pieces has been a fail.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

Morris is a shitness issue, easy to confuse.

:golfclap:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Wonton posted:

Were the USA plays too simple or based on raw athleticism? The Dutch didn’t run as hard and were marking and pressing the American team. Dutch team made quite few nice looking passes

They were busy respecting the Dutch players. The coach said we respect them so much leading up to the match. They actually should have pressed and used their raw athleticism.
This coach also said the U.S. need a world-class striker. What it needs more is a coach that isn't mediocre trash dogshit who whines about what he doesn't have.

I do not think this Dutch team is better or more skilled than the English side. It does have a better manager than either of those two.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

G-Hawk posted:

if we have to choose one or the other absolutely sign me up for the striker

Sure, let's just buy one, eh? You can buy a world class coach and win without a world class striker. But a poo poo coach will nullify a great team, never mind the striker every time.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Crazy Ted posted:

To be fair to Roberto Martinez there's not a hell of a lot you can do with a squad when all of its notable players apparently absolutely loving hate the living poo poo out of each other.

This is a big deal. Team chemistry. Psychology. Fitness, skill, tactics, psychology. It's always a mix, and in the past, US. teams that had inferior skill were able to compensate with fitness and team attitude. They've never, ever had comparable skill players.

The 2014 side didn't have anywhere near the skill players in their group, but they played lights out vs. eventual champions Germany, advanced and Portugal and Ghana went home.... or compared to Belgium of 8 years ago, but they weren't embarrassed like today. <cough>Wondo<cough>

Thamk for reading my ted talk.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

G-Hawk posted:

That is a very heroic re-telling of getting to the round of 16 and then relying on tim howard to prevent a several goal thrashing

Absolutely true, lol. We had an average striker in Dempsey, but had a world-class keeper that night. Enough defense to make those dozen or so shots on goal heroically savable. And a sitter for Wondolowski in extra time that could have pushed it into penalties. It's a funny old game. :rackem:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Wonton posted:

On the bright side, if US wanted to, they can have their national team train a year before the world cup starts whereas other countries can’t afford to pull their players from the big European leagues.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I again cast my vote for Hugo Perez, former NASL guy, former U.S. midfielder, current manager of El Salvador.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

joepinetree posted:

If I were to pick a coach for the USMNT, I'd pick Sebastián Beccacece. Would very likely say yes, and is best at making smaller teams punch way above their weight. Like people in the Sampaoli tradition, not great at handling stars or being favorites, but whenever he's worked at middle of the road teams he made them way overperform.

That was my take on Perez coaching El Salvador this past cycle. They were very skilled, disciplined, yet played creatively. He's got vintage cred. too. Never heard of your guy.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

the sex ghost posted:

Can plastic American cheese be used to treat knee injuries

You have to mainline Velveeta directly into the knee joint using a veterinary syringe. Successful outcome also depends on the political stance of the patient.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Crazy Ted posted:

Also lol at the fact that a not at all small amount of the USMNT sawker fandom thinks the fact that (reportedly) Greggg didn't respond to Gio (reportedly) being a li'l poo poo by caving in and treating him like an indispensable member of the team was actually a massive failure of leadership on Berhalter's part and yet another reason why he needs to be fired yesterday

Imagine scores of idiots who genuinely believe poo poo like this

I thought it really odd that Berhalter started him against Netherlands when he'd had bare minutes in the knockouts. Like, what, is he your secret weapon or something? But, with all this fallout, it makes more sense.

And he was pretty much invisible in that game. If he's an rear end in a top hat toward the rest of the side thinking he's Claudio's legacy Chosen One without putting in the work, he's not going to get respect or service or success with the team.

to be continued......

t a s t e posted:

While true he could probably be actually crying and seething his way up and down the pitch and be more effective than morris

Not if no one passes to him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

whypick1 posted:

Extremely odd considering Reyna subbed on for Ferreira at half time.

Right.