Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Football or Football?
Real :911: Football
Fake-o Euro Soccer
View Results

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ferreria and Sargent both kinda suck and the US should maximize their talent by getting as many midfielders on the field as possible

4-6-0 baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Troy Queef posted:

I'm pretty certain the only players coming into this tournament with any sort of form are the Leeds crew and both Tim Ream, the Javier Zanetti of St Charles County, MO, and Josh Sargent, the Lionel Messi of St Charles County, MO. (No, really, they both even went to the same high school.)

Considering nobody knows who's going to start in goal (and there were actual people wanting to give the Maccabi Haifa GK a call-up as a result, because he couldn't hurt), Gergg Berhalter's continued insistence in making Walker Zimmerman the first name on the team sheet when Ream and CCV are both better options, Weston McKennie having to play Allegriball, and Christian Pulisic continuing to be a fraud, this could be a tournament where they could win their group or crash out with 0 points.

If 0 points happens, Gregg is probably fired and that's good

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Doctor Teeth posted:

https://twitter.com/USMNT/status/1594747879368835094

no surprises, really. aaronson on the bench seems off but gently caress if i know what change to make to get him in.

Aaronson in for Sargent, 4-6-0 time

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I hope Gregg gets fired

That being said, because the US auto qualifies in 2026, the new guy won't have that many games before the next world cup. Don't even know who you would hire

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

How much does the math change for the US now that Iran beat Wales?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Oh yeah, Wales are terrible and how did we not beat them

:negative:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

G-Hawk posted:

i agree with bringing reyna off the bench today to start him vs iran but if i don't see him by minute 70 i'm gonna murder

I know Reyna says he's healthy, but I really doubt it

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I would start Reyna or Aaronson over Musah as I think you get by without Musah for Iran in exchange for more attacking chops

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

G-Hawk posted:

i think musah can do things in attack few of our players can but hes been playing way too far back so far and at times basically falling back to LB when Robinson goes forward. i want him on the pitch but want him further up the pitch

i'd have one of them over mckennie if anything. Which i think the fact that basically no one can agree on which combination of them says a lot

4-6-0 baby

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

sticksy posted:

USA are bad and gonna get bummed by the Dutch

Dutch have been pretty bad outside of Cody Gapko tbh

USA will still lose

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

If the US comes out and plays against the Dutch like they did vs Wales and England, they will have a real chance

But Greggggg will probably decide to set up in a low block and defend and faaaaart

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

can the US wheel Brian Mcbride out of retirement? Even at 50 he has to be better than this bunch of strikers

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

G-Hawk posted:

Hard disagree. The US doesnt have enough talent to fill out a squad yet, it is improving and the next waves are promising, but no manager in the world is winning regularly against top tier opposition with haji wright or jesus ferreira as your striker. Netherlands were heavily favored because of the players they have, not the tactics they use.

Berhalter isnt holding back the team, the talent pool is. If there is a truly world class manager ready to take the job sure hire them, but dont expect miracles and lets not hire roberto martinez or some other well known mediocrity.

Gregggg subbed in Shaq Moore on a defensive set piece

He should have been fired on the spot for that

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Famethrowa posted:

blows my mind that smaller countries like SK and Japan seem to have grown better national teams then the US. not to take anything away from them, but their talent pool can't be any bigger. clearly its the "academy" system failing, but jeez. how can you grapple with that.

I mean, the US has always had an elite bald keeper and a solid midfield over the last 20 years or so. Its just been striker thats been a dumpster fire outside of McBride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

G-Hawk posted:

we started graham zusi against belgium. i don't think he'd even make the squad this year

that should have been Landon, but Klinsmann was a charlatan.

Donovan, Dempsey, Adams, the US can produce Dudes at midfield

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 4, 2022