Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Football or Football?
Real :911: Football
Fake-o Euro Soccer
View Results

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

surf rock posted:

I realize that England is widely considered the superior team, so a draw for the U.S. is kind of a win. But, on the other hand, LOL at the people who went all the way to Qatar to watch two straight draws, including one against a country the size of Arkansas.

edit: are there any young players in the U.S. who are considered especially gifted shooters? Is there, like, a 16-year-old striker averaging a goal a game who'll be ready for the next World Cup? I think this team is actually pretty decent in an all-around sense, but nobody can pull a rabbit out of their hat.

Next World Cup we’ll probably bring Ricardo Pepi unless he’s injured or burns out. I was surprised they didn’t bring him to this one tbh, he’s not great but he’s the best young forward we have and the older players picked instead are uninspiring to say the least.

Strikers who average a goal a game are incredibly rare, and in international competitions they’re virtually non-existent (because scoring goals is harder when you’re in a team you only train with a couple times a year). If the US had one coming up you’d already have heard about it, he would be the hottest prospect the country has ever had, by miles. If we had a striker who could score even in every other game, this would be a pretty good team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

greazeball posted:

lol I just looked up the massive hype victim Freddy Adu, who ultimately scored two (2) goals for the USMNT

Adu is such a weird and pretty sad story, he got the whole pathetic US soccer media pushing him yet never accomplished anything at any senior level. Idk if it was age fraud or what, or who was running his career for him when he was 14, but whatever adult(s) had responsibility for him should be ashamed

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Mambold posted:

Especially if it's from an obviously bad call.

Torsten Frings :argh:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I believe that we will take many set-pieces and no one will get on the end of any of them

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Reyna buddy

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wasn’t a total humiliation but it wasn’t that far off either. the lack of a natural finisher made this tournament hard on us but the reason we lost the game was defensive errors. All three goals came from late runs into the box nobody tracked. Bummer

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

This is a description of every US goal this tournament though

E: actually was the wales one any good? Feel like an eternity ago

Pretty good yeah, Pulisic to Weah. Wasn’t accidental which puts it firmly ahead of Haji’s today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

stab posted:

John Herdman :drac:

https://youtu.be/PTA7wiQX9K8