Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Football or Football?
Real :911: Football
Fake-o Euro Soccer
View Results

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
One of my favorite things in watching the world cup from the US is the absurd American media attempts to hype up the US team. Pusilic as the Lebron of soccer is cool.

I miss the days where they'd list Landon Donovan as like a top 5 forward in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

This is my 2nd most favorite type of US media soccer content. The first is the over hyping of American players ( 2006's ESPN ad "Ronaldo, Zidane, Donovan, all the soccer stars are in Germany" or something like that was a thing of beauty).

Ill never forget how in 2002 after the US lost to Germany Wynalda was on TV saying that if the top American athletes played soccer they'd dominate soccer the same way they dominate basketball (and then the US proceeded to finish 6th in the world basketball championship literally the next month).

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It's funny because ESPN and the like are constantly torn and bouncing back and forth between "actually, American players are among the best in the world" and "yeah, we suck, but can you imagine if Lebron James played soccer?"

The stupidity is obvious (the reason Messi in the best argentinean player isn't because they lack 6'10 athletes), but ESPN doesn't know how to sell an event where Americans aren't the overwhelming favorites.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

twerking on the railroad posted:

I totally didn't know the full world cup history of England v US

One win, one draw

My uncle was at the win. Then that night the BYU basketball team was touring South America and was playing the local club America, where this uncle played. My father did not attend the soccer game, but was at the basketball game, and the US team was there too, apparently intoxicated and very popular with local ladies.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Wonton posted:

Were the USA plays too simple or based on raw athleticism? The Dutch didn’t run as hard and were marking and pressing the American team. Dutch team made quite few nice looking passes

People generally focus on why the US doesn't have their own Messi as to why the US does poorly in soccer, but the reality is that American coaches are generally god awful, and the insistence on MLS managers will generally lead to stuff like this.

MLS is a joke league. It includes, frequently in the same team, players making 65k a year and has beens making 8 million. Teams play no one of note. Hence the US is predictable and easy to counter. Now, because many of the more traditional countries will also be managed by terrible managers (e.g., England) the US will sometimes look respectable there. But against any coach of note it's not going to be pretty. Tata Martino was running laps around the rest of MLS and he's been considered washed up and outdated in Argentina for a while, and you can see where it led with Mexico. And if the US picks another MLS manager the end result will be the same.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
If I were to pick a coach for the USMNT, I'd pick Sebastián Beccacece. Would very likely say yes, and is best at making smaller teams punch way above their weight. Like people in the Sampaoli tradition, not great at handling stars or being favorites, but whenever he's worked at middle of the road teams he made them way overperform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

whypick1 posted:

US moving to CONMEBOL when the CONCACAF HQ is in Miami would be pretty funny, ngl

What would be really funny is the first time American fans show up for a libertadores match as opponents rather than as tourists.