Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Football or Football?
Real :911: Football
Fake-o Euro Soccer
View Results

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Looking forward to drawing with England and finishing 3rd in the group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

barnold posted:

Matt Turner owns

This is a bold claim.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

He's actually consistent, unlike Zach Steffens who lets in bloopers. He has that necessary keeper aura of "gently caress off, we're full!".

He's played 4 games this season and was injured two weeks ago.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

What's Tim Howard doing lately.

He's been retired for two years, do you smell burning toast?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

If that's the smell of your lack of a sense of humor, yes.

Post something funny and we'll get to the bottom of this.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I guess we'll never know.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jiro posted:

:flashfap: Memba when Alexi Lalas had long curly ginger hair and a goatee to match? Just grunge as gently caress.

He has a combover now.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Please update your Captain America charts:

https://twitter.com/USMNT/status/1594308314099236867

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Fortaleza posted:

The United States of America is the greatest country in the world.

People are saying this.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Forrest on Fire posted:

I now understand why people are down on Pulisic. Let literally anybody else handle set pieces holy gently caress.

I have no real recollection of him taking all of the set pieces before.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

whypick1 posted:

We're not allowed to have all of our best players on the field at the same time, haven't you been paying attention for the past 3 years?

Berhalter is carrying over his high school grudge on Claudio to poor Gio.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Total Meatlove posted:

Can I tell you about how Gio Reyna got his name…

Please no

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

1776, 1812, 1950, 2010, 2022

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nystral posted:

Am I reading the table right? For Iran / USA the winner advances out of group?

Indeed.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Haji Wright is scoring more, in a better league. Jordan Morris I've never understood and he's been getting caps for 8 years.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Maybe Saudi Arabia had it right with the whole murdering of journalists

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

stab posted:

Teal bunbury didnt make the team op so cant give it my all

We stuck him on a shelf with Sydney Leroux just in case.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

It's time to dust off one of these relics for the big day

And what the heck is that number 14 jersey?

Big lols all around, I forgot I owned that one

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

It's time to dust off one of these relics for the big day

I've gone with the top right, the 2006 Limited Edition Send Off Series jersey.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

t a s t e posted:

Would rather have seen Gio or Aaronson over Sargent but I guess that would have required some adjustment

Have Pulisic play as a false 9, which he does poorly, but at least it gets another creative player on the pitch

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

barnold posted:

you don't get to post this after talking poo poo about Matt Turner in this thread, who is both extremely handsome and also produced two clean sheets in the group stage

Bitch, it's America, I can do whatever I want

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Antonee Robinson was terrible yesterday, bad touches from him probably stopped half a dozen promising US counterattacks.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nystral posted:

I'm trying to learn more about the game, is there anything I can watch that will better explain how Robinson's actions impeded the attacks?

He was receiving the ball, and then going to dribble and his first or second touch while dribbling was far too strong, letting a defender close the space and take the ball away from him. A better touch and he would have been able to pass the ball off to another US player or just retain possession himself.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Coohoolin posted:

This is why the US will never improve beyond adequate, a nation full of dumb assholes like these two

https://www.mediaite.com/sports/jes...way-too-boring/

Imagine being a dumb enough rear end in a top hat to seek this out and post it

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

I dunno, he’s a “live by the sword” kinda guy

In this case I guess the sword is bad substitutions that unbalance the team

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Pungry posted:

No source, I'm just making a joke about there being no other known fitness issues on the US squad.

Morris is a shitness issue, easy to confuse.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Just loving stick Pulisic up front and start Aaronsen or Reyna.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jesus Christ, he's a reanimated corpse

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

tristeham posted:

it's football you old gently caress

Joe Biden was 37 years old when the first official football match took place in the United States, it was also the first official soccer match.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1869_Princeton_vs._Rutgers_football_game

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Paperhouse posted:

I'm conflicted. It would be funny if the Netherlands lose, but also if the USA lose

One might say it's a funny old game

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Paperhouse posted:

why does Dest always look like he's just ripped a huge bong hit

He's actually Dutch.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Go home Gregg

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

G-Hawk posted:

The core of the team is good but you're not getting far without a functional striker and playing a cb combo of walker zimmerman and tim ream (who had a good tournament but..)

Getting out of the group was nice at least

Ream is dead now, so that solves itself, but Zimmerman is bad, really bad.

Lack of a real striker has been the issue forever.

I didn't expect anything more than getting out of the group so it's good experience for a mostly young team.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ilmucche posted:

I don't think there's ever been as wtf a lovely goal as the one the us scored today

Harry Kane won the Golden Boot at the last World Cup with a jammier goal

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Spuckuk posted:

You only adapted being poo poo at footie, we were born into it, moulded by it.

Molded.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Okay so I've said this in other places, but for all his issues I would like someone to tell me what manager the USSF could have realistically hired in 2018 that would been able to take a US squad that was the second-youngest at the World Cup (Ghana 1st - exited at Group Stage), didn't even qualify for 2018, wasn't ranked in the top 10-12, didn't have any world-class forwards in the player pool, and breeze it into the quarterfinals or the semis because if you'll believe USMNT social media the Dutch team was just 26 overgrown handicapped children ripe for the taking.

Gregg did his job, he qualified for the World Cup and got out of the group stage. Thanks for all the memories.

He's tactically inept and woefully out of his depth outside of CONCACAF. Gareth Southgate shooting himself in the foot aside I don't think he managed a single good game.

Half the squad is playing regularly in the top four leagues in Europe and the step down in coaching and game management needs to change with that. The US mentality of trotting out these has-been players who were adequate coaches in MLS needs to go away. US Soccer is setup to fail if it continues to rely on itself to develop players and managers.

Fortunately the players have noticed this and are fleeing to Europe at the first opportunity, be it at 15 or as soon as they're old enough to leave MLS. The US will never develop a world class striker domestically, the coaching and the level of play is too low, and I'm hopeful the likes of Jordan Morris coming out of NCAA soccer and playing for the US are over. It's so obvious to see how technically and tactically stunted players like Morris are. NCAA soccer is by far the worst thing for the development of American players. It's 40 years behind the rest of the world.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

G-Hawk posted:

we started graham zusi against belgium. i don't think he'd even make the squad this year

There's one of these in every squad.

Ben Olsen started a World Cup match, Kellyn Acosta saw minutes. Just utter poo poo that shouldn't be anywhere near the national team playing in World Cups.

I don't know what the gently caress Shaq Moore was but he played himself into never getting picked again.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Can't believe you left Maguire out of this list

Why would I talk about Harry Maguire in the USA thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm almost certain that's exactly what the US did in 1990 and 1994 with stunning results