Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

G’day mates, and welcome to the thread for supporting everyone’s favourite sporting nation, Australia. Us Aussies are well-known for being welcoming to immigrants and new arrivals, so please chuck a shrimp on the barbie, grab a coldie from the esky, pull up a pew and join us in supporting a team of Good Lads Who Mean Well. Just don’t say you’re rooting for us, because holy poo poo that means something different Down Unda.

World Cup History
2022 makes the fifth consecutive time Australia have qualified for the World Cup, and the sixth time overall. Five of those six times we haven’t made it out of the group stage, the sole exception being 2006 when we lost a Round of 16 match to eventual champions Italy, thanks to a dodgy extra time penalty that I’m definitely not still bitter about. It’s been a bit downhill since then, though Tim Cahill’s volley against the Netherlands in 2014 remains a highlight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA7oCfsHwnc

Road to Qatar
In a word: long. Ridiculously long. Australia was the last team to qualify, after playing twenty (20!!) qualification matches on three continents, spanning 1008 days. Our first qualifying match was a 3-0 victory away to Kuwait on September 10, 2019, starting a run of 8 consecutive victories. But a late collapse in form with draws to Saudi Arabia, China, and Oman (along with a customary home loss to frequent rivals Japan) saw the Good Lads fall to third in group B, forcing a playoff with the third-placed team from group A (United Arab Emirates), for the privilege of another playoff against the fifth-placed South American team – Peru.
Just in case the qualification wasn’t long enough, the exciting 0-0 draw went to extra time, and then of course to penalties as well. Australia’s tactical genius coach, Graham Arnold (more on him shortly), subbed on a secret goalkeeping weapon: a wacky inflatable flailing arm tube man known officially as Andrew Redmayne. The result? Watch for yourself...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG-bscB7KjY

(also of note, Redmayne saw the Peruvian keeper had notes about the Australian penno takers stuck to his water bottle. When the keeper wasn’t looking, Redmayne ripped the notes off and chucked them into the crowd :laffo:)

The Squad
https://twitter.com/Socceroos/status/1589845268501262336

Goalkeepers:
Mathew Ryan (captain) (Copenhagen)
Andrew Redmayne (Sydney FC)
Danny Vukovic (Central Coast Mariners)

Defenders:
Miloš Degenek (Columbus Crew)
Nathaniel Atkinson (Heart of Midlothian)
Kye Rowles (Heart of Midlothian)
Fran Karacic (Brescia)
Bailey Wright (Sunderland)
Aziz Behich (Dundee United)
Harry Souttar (Stoke City)
Thomas Deng (Albirex Niigata)
Joel King (OB)

Midfielders:
Ajdin Hrustic (Hellas Verona)
Aaron Mooy (Celtic)
Riley McGree (Middlesbrough)
Cameron Devlin (Heart of Midlothian)
Jackson Irvine (St. Pauli)
Keanu Baccus (St Mirren)

Forwards:
Martin Boyle (Hibernian)
Mathew Leckie (Melbourne City)
Jamie Maclaren (Melbourne City)
Awer Mabil (Cádiz)
Mitchell Duke (Fagiano Okayama)
Garang Kuol (Central Coast Mariners)
Craig Goodwin (Adelaide United)
Jason Cummings (Central Coast Mariners)

Although injuries to some key players have shaped the squad, overall it’s very much a team refreshing and renewing. Of the 26 players, only nine of them went to Russia in 2018, and long gone are the star players of yesteryear like Tim Cahill, Harry Kewell, Mark Schwarzer or Big Mark Viduka. Look for Australia to play a 4-2-3-1, probably something like:

code:
Ryan
Atkinson-Souttar-Rowles-Behich
Mooy-Irvine
Boyle-Hrustic-Leckie
Maclaren
Expect lots of sitting back, soaking up pressure from stronger teams, and aiming to score from set pieces or deadball situations.

Players to Watch

Ajdin Hrustic
Easily the team’s most creative player, his assists and deadballs will be crucial to Australia’s chances in Qatar.

Garang Kuol
A surprise inclusion in the team, with only 12 career appearances and 0 starts for his club team and literally one substitute appearance for the Subway Eat Fresh Socceroos. But his pacy, tricky wing play has earned him massive plaudits in Australia’s domestic league and he could well surprise a few teams. He’s also just signed for Newcastle United, resulting in a glorious TRP post about selling Kuol to Newcastle.

Andrew Redmayne
Sure, he’s a backup goalkeeper but seriously – just watch this. Watch it again.

Coach – Graham Arnold

A former Socceroo himself, Arnold took over after Australia’s underwhelming 2018 World Cup appearance. Primarily a domestic coach, Arnold was hailed as a genius when the Socceroos were flying high during qualifying with 8 consecutive wins. Then as the wheels fell off, he was a dope who wouldn’t know one end of a football from the other. And finally, after qualifying (and particularly after subbing on Redmayne for the shootout), Arnold became a genius again. Pragmatic and no-nonsense, expect his team to fight hard and defend vigorously, with a focus on keeping teams at bay and maximising the few opportunities available. His biggest coaching strength is picking on form, not favour – his squad had no room for veteran defender and son-in-law Trent Sainsbury.

The Draw – Group D
Australia
France
Denmark
Tunisia

There’s a real sense of déjà vu here, given that Australia’s group in Russia 2018 also featured France and Denmark. With a current FIFA ranking of 38, Australia are the lowest ranked team in the group and not really expected to progress. But football’s a funny old game! A win against Tunisia, maybe France will hilariously implode again, or a flukey draw with Denmark – stranger things have happened! If by some miracle the Subway Eat Fresh Socceroos sneak into the knockouts, group D runners-up would face the winners of group C (likely Argentina), so yeah.

Matches!
vs France Tues 22 Nov, 7pm GMT
vs Tunisia Sat 26 Nov, 10am GMT
vs Denmark Wed 30 Nov, 3pm GMT

Why You Should Support the ‘roos
The good lads of the Socceroos were the first team to officially speak out about the human rights issues associated with the tournament, with sixteen players (including captain Mat Ryan) releasing a video highlighting the plight of migrant workers, LGBTQI persecution, and more. The players’ union (PFA) and Football Australia also released simultaneous statements about the issue.

And Finally
If you’re still reading this, enjoy Australian football’s greatest ever moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm4L40vte7s&t=8649s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Is the Subway tie-in simply because they have the same colours? lol

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Subway posted:

Subway Country Director for Australia and New Zealand, Shane Bracken said he was excited by the opportunities ahead and acknowledged the similarities and values that Subway and Football Australia shared.

“This is a partnership of two iconic brands and binds together a sandwich chain enjoyed by millions worldwide and a sport that millions play, participate in and support across the globe,” Mr Bracken said.

“Subway is proud to be partnering with Football Australia at such an exciting time for the game – not only across the national men’s and women’s teams, but as junior players move through the ranks and become our next line of role models and heroes.

“Our Aussie football stars have a huge few years ahead of them and Subway is looking forward to being part of the journey and helping make the game of football even bigger than it is right now.

“From one green and gold team to another – we’ll be cheering from the sidelines and across our stores,” Mr Bracken concluded.

Absolutely yes

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
:lmao:

What is the Australian domestic equivalent of a knighthood?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I hope Kuol to Newcastle isnt the Arzani to Man City :ohdear:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

here to post again after four years of not posting about football 😎

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muvpG_6xaFY

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t recognize a single name from that squad. Watching Cahill, Kewell and Viduka carry Australia was one of the more fun parts of the older world cups.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Since we can't get revenge on Italy for Grosso in '06 this time around I'll be happy to get revenge on France for Griezmann in Russia

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Vegetable posted:

I don’t recognize a single name from that squad. Watching Cahill, Kewell and Viduka carry Australia was one of the more fun parts of the older world cups.

Cumdog

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

thats a lot of aussies playing in scotland

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Yeah it's definitely lacking in star power like previous sides. But interestingly enough, it's much more cosmopolitan than in previous cups - more of the squad plays outside Australia than ever before, and in a wider variety of competitions as well (England, Scotland, Germany, Japan, Denmark, Italy etc). I'm not expecting great things to be honest, but we might surprise a few teams. Maybe. Maybe not :shrug:

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Hoping McGree puts in an absurd shot like his scorpion kick goal or the scissor kick he scored for Boro this weekend.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
You're so poo poo you're Danny Vukovic

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Rogue0071 posted:

Hoping McGree puts in an absurd shot like his scorpion kick goal or the scissor kick he scored for Boro this weekend.

Hopefully mcgree punts a score like that at the FIFA World Cup for the Subway Eat Fresh Socceroos Australian men's national football team

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/PFA/status/1591772920552067072?t=AUtPrYEV41oYwR476WN6kg&s=19

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Well I'm convinced, we're gunna win the world cup lads

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

webmeister posted:

Well I'm convinced, we're gunna win the world cup lads

Also Kuol scored a corker in his last game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyoxT2pKBOo

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

easy cup win for the boys based on these goals

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I’m here to support the subway cumdog

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Looks like Marco Tilio is coming in as a replacement for Martin Boyle who's still under an injury cloud:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/15/australia-fly-in-marco-tilio-amid-doubts-over-martin-boyles-world-cup-fitness

Also v annoyed to discover in that article that Tim Cahill is a paid employee of Qatar, as the "chief sports officer" of the Aspire Academy

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
If I were Qatar I would simply adopt AEST so us Aussies (biggest sport fans) can watch at a civilised time. Anything else is a complete failure of FIFA governance (grow the game)

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I'm fairly apathetic about soccer, but the 2006 World Cup is up there in the most memorable sports moments of my life.

The qualifying.

The comeback against Japan.

The chaos of the Croatia game :lol:

Italy cheating us out of it :smith:

Crushing way to end but what a ride that was :australia: :allears:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Late boost to the Socceroos squad:

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

ColtMcAsskick posted:

If I were Qatar I would simply adopt AEST so us Aussies (biggest sport fans) can watch at a civilised time. Anything else is a complete failure of FIFA governance (grow the game)

Even if they did they'd probably refuse to acknowledge daylight savings like a bunch of Queenslanders

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Well, that was poo poo. Complete lack of effort or intensity in the second half.

Pretty much any chance of progessing went out the window with that, would've taken the 2-1 half time score.

Still, at least we're playing and Italy are at home :laffo:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Windmill Hut posted:

Well, that was poo poo. Complete lack of effort or intensity in the second half.

Pretty much any chance of progessing went out the window with that, would've taken the 2-1 half time score.

Still, at least we're playing and Italy are at home :laffo:

Hey you never know, both Denmark and Tunisia looked pretty ordinary so there might be results up for grabs there.

Even with 10 men behind the ball we couldn't deal with Mbappe/Dembele getting down the wings, and Griezmann was constantly dragging people out of position and picking up pockets of space. Playing out from the back constantly felt like playing with fire, and I'm surprised we only conceded the one goal from it.

Ultimately the scoreline kinda flattered us (I think Mbappe alone missed at least two sitters), but the other game showed second place in the group is still to play for. Plus, second place in our group will probably avoid Argentina in the R16 knockouts now :laugh:

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

i hope we lose :twisted:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
We aren't in Roo-ins yet boys :getin:

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

As long as we at least draw with Denmark we should be through to the next round. Tunisia aren't catching us even if a miracle happens and they beat France. Socceroos giving their fans more false hope?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

As long as we at least draw with Denmark we should be through to the next round. Tunisia aren't catching us even if a miracle happens and they beat France. Socceroos giving their fans more false hope?

There's a lot of permutations (all three teams can still qualify behind France). If Denmark beat us they will go through, regardless of the Tunisia-France result. If we beat Denmark, we're through. If we draw, we will be through unless Tunisia beat France.

Kind of feels a bit like 2006, where we lost handily to a good team (Brazil), defeated a par team (Japan), and now face a do-or-die third match against more fanciest European opposition (Croatia).

I kind of feel like if we play like last night, we've got a good chance against Denmark. But if we play like we did against France, we've got almost no chance. I'm hopeful but not confident. Though I will say, considering people were tipping Denmark to make a really strong showing, I haven't been particularly impressed by either of their displays so far.

In conclusion: it's a funny old game

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Tunisia ran no midfield in the first half which allowed us to pile on the pressure and we still only scored one (excellent) goal.

If Denmark sends out a midfield we are toast

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

webmeister posted:

I kind of feel like if we play like last night, we've got a good chance against Denmark. But if we play like we did against France, we've got almost no chance. I'm hopeful but not confident. Though I will say, considering people were tipping Denmark to make a really strong showing, I haven't been particularly impressed by either of their displays so far.

I feel like if we play the defensive poo poo that we pulled towards the end of Tunisia, we will fail. This could well be the last game in a tournament we shouldn't really have been in and we should go absolutely all out.
Gegenpress the gently caress out them. Leave nothing in the tank. If we concede a lot, oh well. If we play that defensive poo poo we will just invite heaps of shots and no doubt fail.

Before the tournament I was tipping Souttar to be one of our key players and so far that has rung true. I reckon he will end up at a mid table EPL team next season. Would be nice to have a player in the top flight finally.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Get the gently caress in cunts, we’re out of the group!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

Get the gently caress in cunts, we’re out of the group!

Cumdog Millionaires

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Subway

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Looks like eatin fresh is back on the menu boys

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Baccus arrives, party ensues. Feeling a bit of Melbourne Greek influence here lads

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

cagliostr0 posted:

Baccus arrives, party ensues. Feeling a bit of Melbourne Greek influence here lads

Greek influence is banned in Qatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

loving hell I still can’t believe it

Two wins, two clean sheets, opened the scoring in all three games including against the defending champs.

If we avoid Argentina in the next round I think we’ve got a decent chance of progressing to the quarters

4:30 and I have work in four hours, how the gently caress am I supposed to sleep now