Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Japan, the land of the rising sun, Pokemon, very fast trains (take note Messi), full length waifu body pillows, questionable anime and home made shotguns.

Who knows if the thread title worked: サッカー日本代表 - サムライ・ブルー

if it fails and mods want to change it, then i would suggest "サッカー日本代表 - サムライ・ブルー (japan)"

SQUAD

Goalkeepers: Eiji Kawashima (Strasbourg), Daniel Schmidt (Sint Truiden), Shuichi Gonda (Shimizu S-Pulse)

Defenders: Hiroki Sakai (Urawa Red Diamonds), Miki Yamane (Kawasaki Frontale), Ko Itakura (Borussia Monchengladbach), Takehiro Tomiyasu (Arsenal), Maya Yoshida (Schalke 04), Shogo Taniguchi (Kawasaki Frontale), Hiroki Ito (VfB Stuttgart), Yuto Nagatomo (FC Tokyo)

Midfielders: Junya Ito (Stade de Reims), Ritsu Doan (SC Freiburg), Wataru Endo (VfB Stuttgart), Hidemasa Morita (Sporting), Ao Tanaka (Fortuna Dusseldorf), Daichi Kamada (Eintracht Frankfurt), Takefusa Kubo (Real Sociedad), Takumi Minamino (AS Monaco), Kaoru Mitoma (Brighton & Hove Albion), Gaku Shibasaki (Leganes), Yuki Soma (Nagoya Grampus)

Forwards: Takuma Asano (Vfl Bochum), Daizen Maeda (Celtic), Ayase Ueda (Cercle Brugge), Shuto Machino (Shonan Bellmare)

Star player: Minamino who was at Liverpool for like what, a season maybe two before moving to Monaco... probably a good shout now considering Liverpool's form, but he seems like an alright lad

Japan's history at the World Cup

Nicknamed the Samurai Blue, they've had a pretty average record in the World Cup despite success in other regional tournaments.

France 1998 - Group
Japan/South Korea 2002 - RO16
Germany 2006 - Group
South Africa 2010 - RO16
Brazil 2014 - Group

Success elsewhere

Japan have had a pretty good success in the AFC Asian Cup winning in 1992, 2000, 2004 and 2011, coming runners up in 2019.

Arguably their biggest success is defeating soccer world series champions USA 2-0 in October

https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/1573315434295820288?s=20&t=ZFpvuNNwYDdfSyDxCe7_Fg

The Japan Womens team (サッカー日本女子代表) known affectionately as Nadeshiko Japan (なでしこジャパン) won the 2011 edition of the Womens World Cup in a nail biting penalty shootout against best friends USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmZV4OWYXFk

Their kits, also pretty decent too, maybe one of my favorite sets

Personally, I'm at peace with the fact that the ingurland boys won't be bringing it home this year, so I am hoping Japan live up to that expectation.

Looke fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Good op and lol thread title, voted &#%125,;

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

sticksy posted:

Good op and lol thread title, voted &#%125,;

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Good OP.

Ash Ketchum finally brought it home recently after 25 years of hurt so it must be coming home to Japan.

https://twitter.com/Billie_T/status/1591193343459229697

Some other players to watch

Takefusa Kubo
Kaoru Mitoma
Daichi Kamada

I do not think Minamino is starter. Same with Mitoma. Most likely they will probably play a more pressing counterattacking system due to the group they are in. Also, there weakness is scoring. And lol at most of the Celtic's Japanese players not getting called up.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

do it for ash

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

I really like this manga. Seems like Japan likes it too. It is used for "educational" purposes.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I will always support Team Anime, but in a group with Spain and Germany kinda blows

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

japan

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I believe in Japan Mannschaft.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tomiyasu has been crushing it for the Arse and he’s gonna lead this poo poo team to the knockout stages. Guy can play across the back four but I assume they’re gonna stick him at center back because that’s where you put your best player.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Mitoma's played some good games for Brighton so I expect cool things out of him

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
tomiyasu is giant baba reborn and you cant tell me otherwise

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Eau de MacGowan posted:

checks out

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
https://twitter.com/aishiterutokyo/status/1591810480527769603

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Rub some cowbell on it.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

minamino's been mediocre for monaco. junya ito is really good though

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

psyer posted:

lol at most of Celtic's Japanese players not getting called up.

and the one they did call up, Maeda, is generally regarded as the worst of the group*

*(Yosuke Ideguchi excluded, since he's been perma-crocked)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I will always support Team Anime, but in a group with Spain and Germany kinda blows

Historically they've been ok pairing with Germany and Spain

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh, the Samurai Blue. If y'all think the USMNT gets outsized attention or England takes up too much of the press, let me introduce you to the Japan national team.

Every game is on national TV. Every player overseas gets covered in sports roundups on news shows. Doesn't matter that Keisuke Honda didn't score for Milan much back in the day, every failed clearance or pass that didn't lead to anything was on TV. Famously, the Japan team is also one of the national teams with the most sponsorship money as well. It's a Big Deal over here.

Shame that Japan has hit basically the same plateau that the USMNT has, which is that they can win their regional tournament but won't scare the last 8 of the World Cup.

Moriyasu's choices for the tournament have raised some eyebrows - leaving out Celtic's Furuhashi Kogyo the biggest of them - he's trying to bring a settled side with some players for specific roles. “We selected players who will be on the same wavelength as a team, who will be able to move and link up together, who through their organization will be able to make use of their individual strengths.” This would be why Maeda is on board, as he has a specific role (60' pressing center forward) that others don't fit as well.

But still. The man also brought former Arsenal youth player Takuma Asano to the goddamn 2022 World Cup, and Asano isn't even fit.

Even if the squad was alright this year they're in the group with Costa Rica, Spain and Germany - so it would take one of the two biggest sides in Europe going through an absolute meltdown to probably get into the knockout stages. Not impossible, just improbable.

It's particularly cruel that it's come at a World Cup in Qatar, after Japan suffered one of the great didn't-qualify stories in World Cup history in 1993 - the Tragedy of Qatar is what it's called in Japan, after they gave up a lead in the last match to Iraq while the Koreas decided they hated Japan more. it was recently mentioned on Defector a couple weeks ago, as Charles Pierce recalled seeing Japanese press members drinking the sorrows of an all-expenses-paid trip to USA '94 go up in flames to goddamn Iraq of all teams. You truly hate to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QICTDQo5WoY

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

harperdc posted:

Oh, the Samurai Blue. If y'all think the USMNT gets outsized attention or England takes up too much of the press, let me introduce you to the Japan national team.

Every game is on national TV. Every player overseas gets covered in sports roundups on news shows. Doesn't matter that Keisuke Honda didn't score for Milan much back in the day, every failed clearance or pass that didn't lead to anything was on TV. Famously, the Japan team is also one of the national teams with the most sponsorship money as well. It's a Big Deal over here.

Shame that Japan has hit basically the same plateau that the USMNT has, which is that they can win their regional tournament but won't scare the last 8 of the World Cup.

Moriyasu's choices for the tournament have raised some eyebrows - leaving out Celtic's Furuhashi Kogyo the biggest of them - he's trying to bring a settled side with some players for specific roles. “We selected players who will be on the same wavelength as a team, who will be able to move and link up together, who through their organization will be able to make use of their individual strengths.” This would be why Maeda is on board, as he has a specific role (60' pressing center forward) that others don't fit as well.

But still. The man also brought former Arsenal youth player Takuma Asano to the goddamn 2022 World Cup, and Asano isn't even fit.

Even if the squad was alright this year they're in the group with Costa Rica, Spain and Germany - so it would take one of the two biggest sides in Europe going through an absolute meltdown to probably get into the knockout stages. Not impossible, just improbable.

It's particularly cruel that it's come at a World Cup in Qatar, after Japan suffered one of the great didn't-qualify stories in World Cup history in 1993 - the Tragedy of Qatar is what it's called in Japan, after they gave up a lead in the last match to Iraq while the Koreas decided they hated Japan more. it was recently mentioned on Defector a couple weeks ago, as Charles Pierce recalled seeing Japanese press members drinking the sorrows of an all-expenses-paid trip to USA '94 go up in flames to goddamn Iraq of all teams. You truly hate to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QICTDQo5WoY

I can see why Kyogo has been left out—he’s been absolutely snakebit this year, especially in Europe, and as such has been replaced as target man for Celtic by Giakoumakis.

Reo Hatate, on the other hand, has consistently been one of the best players on the park since he’s came over (which was not hurt by scoring two great goals in his first Glasgow Derby, clinching the league in retrospect), but he’s played an absurd amount of minutes in the process. Does he deserve a place on the plane? Probably. Is it for the best that he didn’t get called up? Also, probably.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Keisuke Honda's Bizarre Adventure

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

Reo Hatate, on the other hand, has consistently been one of the best players on the park since he’s came over (which was not hurt by scoring two great goals in his first Glasgow Derby, clinching the league in retrospect), but he’s played an absurd amount of minutes in the process. Does he deserve a place on the plane? Probably. Is it for the best that he didn’t get called up? Also, probably.

Oh man, my mistake - that’s the one that has surprised people the most. Hatate definitely deserves to be on the plane.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

nippon

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

yes?

e: oh misread

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

yes?

e: oh misread

:hmmyes:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Still waiting for someone to make the thread!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

japan

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
:piss:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Ed gdt

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Very accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

:japan: