Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Call your shot: Who're your champs by the end of the night?
This poll is closed.
Israel Adesanya/Carla Esparza 2 8.00%
Israel Adesanya/Weili Zhang 12 48.00%
Alex Pereira/Carla Esparza 1 4.00%
Alex Pereira/Weili Zhang 10 40.00%
Total: 25 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Goodnight to Dustin poirier fans only, who all ate good tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

kimbo305 posted:

I don't find it that surprising. He had outlasted Izzy on the ground and had hurt him on the feet. So it was a scenario he was familiar with more than the 5 MMA fights implies, and also against someone he'd already survived and came back to beat on the feet.

i was looking at it from the point of view of how absolutely wrecked he should have been. he has literally never fought that long before if i'm mistaken, and then he just executes one of the best fighters in mma.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

chaleski posted:

Slight disclaimer for UFC 189, maybe start with the Tim Means-Matt Brown preliminary headliner and go from there, I don't remember a single thing else about the undercard

if every fight prior to that was tape of dana white making GBS threads, it would still be one of the best cards ever held.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
those shots he was throwing at the end were murderous

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

great card

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

beep by grandpa posted:

Goodnight to Dustin poirier fans only, who all ate good tonight

Think I'm finally gonna other some of his hot sauce cuz goddamn he brought the heat.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
ridiculous card, rip izzy

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I know the Izzy rematch makes the most sense logically but gently caress it, I want my main man Bobby Knuckles to take the belt back from Pereira

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i just thought about frankie and now i'm melancholy again. the maynard draw was about when i started seriously following mma again and frankie was my favorite fighter.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

i just thought about frankie and now i'm melancholy again. the maynard draw was about when i started seriously following mma again and frankie was my favorite fighter.

He was the best and I hate how everyone eventually goes out this way. At least now he can go run around on a farm for 25 minutes at a time in peace.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Marching Powder posted:

MMA is a world where your duty is to realise moments pass and your favourite at a time can not be your favourite forever.

There was a time when Ian McCall was a favourite fighter of mine.

That was a bad horse to bet on, in every meaning of the word.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

There was a time when Ian McCall was a favourite fighter of mine.

remember when australia robbed him of the belt lol

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Marching Powder posted:

it was his greatest moment

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

it was his greatest moment

Also literally the only time I've seen mighty mouse tired.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

lol izzy also gave him a standing 8 beating in the fight pereira killed him in. the omens are hilarious.

still can't believe this.

Gibbs
May 9, 2021

Izzy finally faces someone with enough power where dodging 99 out of 100 strikes isn't enough. And he still decides to do his Ultra Instinct bullshit that only works against old man Silva or blockhead wrestlers. The end was written somewhere in the late 2nd / early 3rd round.

Bad coaching by Eugene to not smack him upside the head and get him to knock it off.

At least the rematch will be good.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Marching Powder posted:

I'm still disappointed we were robbed of a sudden death round in a tournament in the UFC because the judges couldn't do math right

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
and of course the biggest story of the night:

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1591661855545896960

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Nah I ended up looking this up and it happens a lot, there's screenshots of that exact same ip/port/hostname from like half a dozen different cards if you just type the hostname in to google. If the info was sensitive it would be changed by now.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This card had so many highs and so many lows. I'm a mess emotionally.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

frankie :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think the most :psyduck: moment of the night was the commissioner getting into the Octagon and straight up rewriting the scorecards while the poor fighters were waiting for Bruce Buffer to announce who won.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Jerusalem posted:

I think the most :psyduck: moment of the night was the commissioner getting into the Octagon and straight up rewriting the scorecards while the poor fighters were waiting for Bruce Buffer to announce who won.

Yeah I've never seen Buffer get basically tackled before (except by fighters trying to hug him)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i definitely think the feeling of 'oh no, my professional reputation!' should be way, way more common than this being the very first time i've seen anything like it in combat sports but hey

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

yeah ten out of ten times it's better to fix the scorecards at the last minute than the alternative

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Still lolling that Chris Gutierrez used his postfight interview to give shoutouts to a rival betting organization and an instagram bookie. Between Ye and Elon imploding, the dominant cultural message of the last few weeks has been "don't gently caress with the money" and here Chris is, doing his thing. God bless.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
the last stylebiter needs to give Anderson his coat back

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Zhang and Pereira got POTN to go with their belts.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

E

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Heart of a lion and now a coat of one too.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

yeah took a pic of this, got someone to explain what it was, basically someone in the ufc truck made a small mistake

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I low key loved this coat. Izzy with that Wookiee drip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
goddamn what a bunch of amazing fights, wish I could've watched this one live

crepeface fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 14, 2022