Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Not much needs to be said of the man that hasn't already been said since his death in 1994. Only that he brought us many years of laughter and joy, and it still hurts that he's gone. Post your favorite John Candy stuff here and let's celebrate his life together.

Thanksgiving is coming up in the U.S., and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is a must watch. No matter how many times i've seen it and know that it's coming up, "YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!" skeleton Neal and Del followed by Devil Del laughing maniacally makes me laugh until I cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_akwHYMdbsM

Also, eating The Old 96er in The Great Outdoors. His facial expressions when he realizes he has to eat the gristle and fat to complete the challenge without saying a single word is a comedic best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_215iQ7KDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLVZAoQB2fI

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
For whatever reason the movie Uncle Buck is a core memory for me

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

What were they

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
He was so good in the best musical, Little Shop of Horrors.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
He'll always be Doctor Tongue or Johnny LaRue to me. Miss that guy.

https://youtu.be/66hLNY-D13A

Hector Delgado fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 12, 2022

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

RIP to a legend

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Buck Melanoma, Moley Russell's Wart.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

What were they

They had to share a bed together in a seedy motel for the night and woke up like this. Your answer is this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2pu0m9iTo4

Das Boo posted:

He was so good in the best musical, Little Shop of Horrors.

I can hear the “WEEEEEIIIIIRRRRRDDDDD” from this gif :allears:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
What's the difference between John Candy and Chris Farley? Not a setup for a joke, honestly could never keep those two apart

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

He stands out in my memory as the first celebrity to die

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

What's the difference between John Candy and Chris Farley? Not a setup for a joke, honestly could never keep those two apart

One was a junkie, the other one was a family man who had an unfortunate taste for ham.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

You Are A Elf posted:

Also, eating The Old 96er in The Great Outdoors. His facial expressions when he realizes he has to eat the gristle and fat to complete the challenge without saying a single word is a comedic best.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Devils Affricate posted:

John Candy is a fuckin comedy legend and genius, along with being a legit amazing actor.

Farley is funny for sure, but it's because he just has this manic energy he always brings. Not even half the talent of Candy.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

You Are A Elf posted:

They had to share a bed together in a seedy motel for the night and woke up like this. Your answer is this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2pu0m9iTo4

Sorry I was just being facetious. PT&A is one of my favorite movies and I’ve seen it many times :tipshat:

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015
Whenever I watch him in Uncle Buck, specifically the scene with Macaulay Culkin asking rapid fire questions, I'm reminded of just how good his comedic timing was. Subtle perfection.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Iirc his lines in home alone were improved and it's funny as hell.

He was always my favourite actor as a kid.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Iirc his lines in home alone were improved and it's funny as hell.

He was always my favourite actor as a kid.

It’s a small part in the movie but he loving brings it

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Sorry I was just being facetious. PT&A is one of my favorite movies and I’ve seen it many times :tipshat:

:haibrow:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxwjQTOif8Q

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jose Oquendo posted:

It’s a small part in the movie but he loving brings it

If he wasn't in the film the scenes with the mom just trying to get home would honestly bring the film down.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

sigher posted:

If he wasn't in the film the scenes with the mom just trying to get home would honestly bring the film down.

O'hara and Candy were part of SCTV so they already knew how to play off each other. They're really good on that show. Definitely check out some YouTube clips.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

John Candy was great in Heavy Metal

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
The scene in Planes, Trains and Automobiles where he transforms into the devil is loving funny as hell. I watched that movie again recently and it's still good. What a great loving holiday movie

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

:rip: big funny guy.

And I hope this thread is the start of a new trend of GBS threads memorializing the best celebrities, rather than certain posters always jumping to be the first to announce the death of whatever obscure celeb Google News says popped off overnight.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Captain Yossarian posted:

The scene in Planes, Trains and Automobiles where he transforms into the devil is loving funny as hell. I watched that movie again recently and it's still good. What a great loving holiday movie

It's like the only good Thanksgiving movie

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Hi! Wanna hand me the mic? Thanks a lot.

Hi. This is car uh, what number are we?

Five. Five.

Car 55, we’re in a truck!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Smugworth posted:

It's like the only good Thanksgiving movie

You're probably right. I seriously get a poo poo-eating grin just thinking about that scene lol

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Orange Whip? Orange Whip?

3 Orange Whips!

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Forget it LaRue, this is Polynesiantown.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

this homie has a magical level of charisma, i find people like that fascinating. it’s just so comforting and enjoyable to watch him chat to people

also why do goons do that thing where they bold movie titles. wtf

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Captain Yossarian posted:

The part afterwards where the wheel is bend 90° and Martin his fingers are stuck in the dashboard almost killed me from laughing as a kid.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

It's a real shame he never got to do more dramatic roles.

He was an absolute stand-out in JFK and that's no small feat, that movie might have the most insanely stacked ensemble cast ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PSXQJ9jujk

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

John Candy died when I was eight but he had an incredible presence in my early childhood. His role as the Cubs announcer in Rookie of the Year is underrated. You don't hear it in the scene but I love a homer announcer just losing it in the booth for his guy on the field screaming "GOOOOO!!!"

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I used to mix him up with Chris Farley for some reason.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Planes , Trains, and Automobiles may be one of the funniest movies ever made. Like that movie still makes me almost cry laughing especially the scene where he turns into the devil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMUcNgN6Taw

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

John Candy was amazing: he was slapstick funny, righteous angry funny, scummy funny and he always had this charming quality of humility that he could bring.
I don't get how people mix him with Chris Farley who was mostly just manic in the most outrageous way.

Also on a personal level: Candy was a whole lot more stable, Farley was set to destroy himself like Balushi but John Candy could have had many more years if not for persistent health issues.