Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

You are all talking about Planes, Trains and Automobiles, and heaping well earned glory upon John Candy for being hilarious and multi talented.

But nobody is talking about the heart wrenching way he delivers "I like me."

And a performance like that deserves recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Hear hear!

John Candy was incredible at making this most basic of human connections.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

You are all talking about Planes, Trains and Automobiles, and heaping well earned glory upon John Candy for being hilarious and multi talented.

But nobody is talking about the heart wrenching way he delivers "I like me."

And a performance like that deserves recognition.

Prob because it doesn't even need to be said, that movie strikes such a great balance.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I just watched Planes Trains and Automobiles with my partner. We watched it on VHS. It's a great film. I love my partner and I'm definitely Steve Martin in that film and she's John Candy. A cold hearted goon like me found love. :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFh5FzXIeBg

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 15, 2022

The General
Mar 4, 2007

By popular demand posted:

I don't get how people mix him with Chris Farley who was mostly just manic in the most outrageous way.

Candy was also at least half a foot taller.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Edmund Sparkler posted:

I just watched Planes Trains and Automobiles with my partner. We watched it on VHS. It's a great film. I love my partner and I'm definitely Steve Martin in that film and she's John Candy. A cold hearted goon like me found love. :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFh5FzXIeBg

It's even more poignant juxtaposed with Steve Martin being hilariously cruel for like 2 minutes

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's even more poignant juxtaposed with Steve Martin being hilariously cruel for like 2 minutes

Oh yeah, Steve Martin's character is a total rear end in a top hat right before that scene.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

I could have sworn that scene came way later in that film.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

My grandparents had satellite TV and a huge VHS selection that for some reason was heavily biased (at least in my memory) to John Candy movies. I've always loved movies from being a kid so, as other people have said, I think John Candy forms my core movie memories.

He's great in Cool Runnings, and I was young enough when I watched that that I didn't understand why they wanted a coach who had cheated because cheating must mean he was a bad man. I also used to love Brewster's Millions, where he played Brewster's (Richard Pryor) best bud.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is one of my favourite movies, a lot of it down to his performance. People have already mentioned a lot of the good bits, but I always liked the bit where he sells his shower curtain rings as earings. I don't know for sure but I bet the lines are improvised:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AdRtUivxNw

He was the first actor that I remember recognising in multiple movies, and also the first one I remember dying while I was alive. RIP big man.

I like that this thread is positive, so spoliered negativity: I do not get the confusion with Chris Farley, apart from classic goon face blindness striking again. They were both large lads, that's about it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I think that was just a dumb joke or someone remembering being a dumb kid.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

the only movies I remember John Candy in are Home Alone and National Lampoons Vacation

F

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

It kind of shocked me on my last rewatch of this movie that they got an R rating pretty much just because of Steve Martin's cursing at the rental car lady.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Just watched PT&A and currently watching Uncle Buck again thanks to this thread. That freeze frame at the end of PT&A got me right in the feels and I needed some UB to cheer up me again. Macaulay's "who are you!?" delivery gets me to laugh every time.

RIP Johns (Candy and Hughes)

e: oof, forgot about another freeze frame at the end of UB, now I’m crying again

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 16, 2022

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Another note that I have is that in this day and age, that train breakdown scene would not be believable today.

The liability and the fact that everyone would be all over social media, making GBS threads on the train company for making people walk over a mile to safety would be a huge deal these days.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Peggy Edson posted:

the only movies I remember John Candy in are Home Alone and National Lampoons Vacation

F
Stripes? The lean, mean fighting machine?

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

He was the moral center of Spaceballs.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

In all seriousness though, my childhood is punctuated with old John Candy movies watched on VHS and DVD at family holiday get-togethers. He was effortlessly funny in almost any roll, in contrast to people like Chris Farley and Adam Sandler who strain wildly for every punchline and sight gag.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
This thread sent me down an SCTV rabbit hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9dKYxkYYXM

I don't remember seeing this one before but it made me tear up from laughing so hard. Everyone is great in it and keep an eye out for Harold Ramis.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

There’s always Summer Rental and Speed Zone to remind you the man wasn’t 100%.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Szyznyk posted:

There’s always Summer Rental and Speed Zone to remind you the man wasn’t 100%.

Summer Rental is fine and it’s one of the movies I’ll stop and watch if it’s on tv.

Speed zone is cannonball run 3, so those are supposed to have celebrities in it, so he gets a pass for that.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9xQ12_3Jqo

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Edmund Sparkler posted:

It kind of shocked me on my last rewatch of this movie that they got an R rating pretty much just because of Steve Martin's cursing at the rental car lady.

I only saw it on tv for the longest time and that scene plays out much differently.

He doesn't swear and at the end of the rant she gives an equally merry "you're screwed!" as she'd been on the phone.

The first time I saw the real one my jaw dropped, especially her line.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Summer Rental is fine, nice try JACK. I've never seen the other one.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

My wife loves this movie from when she was a kid, and when we dance she wants to reenact this scene. A miracle we didn’t get hurt yet.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I loved John Candy in Who's Harry Crumb? tho I think the movie aged badly, what with the blackface "jokes" in it.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

who the gently caress would let their child go to place called Camp Candy?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

4K Remaster of Planes, Trains and Automobiles to Be Released with Hour of Deleted Scenes

:captainpop:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

That's pretty cool but I don't even know what device I would need to play 4k discs.

My tv supports it and sometimes my wifi is good enough to stream from Amazon prime.. but it's unreliable.

I'm not buying a PS5 or whatever for this. Is there any good reasonably priced player that can do Blu-ray and 4k whatever that doesn't suck and isn't 200 or more bucks?

Edit: my PS3 plays Blu rays but I'm looking for that 4k uhd player that's not like an expensive gaming system I won't use. My PC plays my videos games.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 16, 2022

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
No Canadian Bacon yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCS7qPuOXQI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDGkQiwh_qg

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I've been in the SCTV studios (general use, still in operation) and they have a signed painting of him outside.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Wendigee posted:

That's pretty cool but I don't even know what device I would need to play 4k discs.

My tv supports it and sometimes my wifi is good enough to stream from Amazon prime.. but it's unreliable.

I'm not buying a PS5 or whatever for this. Is there any good reasonably priced player that can do Blu-ray and 4k whatever that doesn't suck and isn't 200 or more bucks?

Edit: my PS3 plays Blu rays but I'm looking for that 4k uhd player that's not like an expensive gaming system I won't use. My PC plays my videos games.

bluray players are cheap as hell at thrift stores

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Grocery stores sell Blu-ray players at this point. The last time I paid $200 for a Blu-ray player was 2008.

Just buy one from WalMart and return it when you're done. Just like you used to rent VCRs in the 80s.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 16, 2022

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

My PS3 plays Blu rays, I was more talking about the 4k format... Wait Blu rays are not 4k are they? What the gently caress is a 4k uhd then? My tv had uhd support I'm pretty sure... Gonna go check after I eat my prunes and oatmeal :okboomer:

edit: okay so i guess 4k blu-ray UHD won the format wars, i thought there was some other one as well..

so my ps3 will play standard blu-ray but i need something else to see them in 4k which my tv seems to support...

~$250 bucks.... thats rough

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 17, 2022

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

If you get just the regular 1080p copies, won't your TV upscale them? I do admit I may be talking out my rear end.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

upscaling is a myth

Yes your TV will play it at 4k, but it's still a 1080p source and will look as such. That said, most people claim to not see the difference between 1080p and UHD so :shrug:

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I just watched Planes, Trains, and Automobiles for the first time last night! John Candy was great in it. So funny and so sweet. He was such a fantastic actor. :)

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

My tv isn't fancy, and honestly my blue ray of mad max on chrome looks amazing so maybe I should just get the Blu ray and wait hey

edit: yarp this looks amazing even at regular blu-ray

highly recommend mad max review of the blu-ray Black and Chrome (black and white directors vision) its real cool

4k uhd streaming from Amazon isn't even close by my internet is not great

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 17, 2022

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Watch Only the Lonely alone on a small box tv in a thoroughly depressed state like the Lord intended.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

remember when he rode on that staircase in who is harry crumb, and holding out for a hero started playing? that was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDFfBJpdvZY