Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

My grandparents had satellite TV and a huge VHS selection that for some reason was heavily biased (at least in my memory) to John Candy movies. I've always loved movies from being a kid so, as other people have said, I think John Candy forms my core movie memories.

He's great in Cool Runnings, and I was young enough when I watched that that I didn't understand why they wanted a coach who had cheated because cheating must mean he was a bad man. I also used to love Brewster's Millions, where he played Brewster's (Richard Pryor) best bud.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is one of my favourite movies, a lot of it down to his performance. People have already mentioned a lot of the good bits, but I always liked the bit where he sells his shower curtain rings as earings. I don't know for sure but I bet the lines are improvised:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AdRtUivxNw

He was the first actor that I remember recognising in multiple movies, and also the first one I remember dying while I was alive. RIP big man.

I like that this thread is positive, so spoliered negativity: I do not get the confusion with Chris Farley, apart from classic goon face blindness striking again. They were both large lads, that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU