Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Welcome to the 2023 professional League of Legends thread! With the exciting conclusion to Worlds 2022, interest in League has never been higher, hitting a milestone 5 million viewers in the West alone for the finals. Regardless of whether you're a diehard viewer, returning veteran, or someone who's never seen a minute but has had your interest piqued, there's never been a better time to watch pro League.

What is League of Legends?

League of Legends is a team-based game with a simple objective: pilot one of 160+ champions and destroy the enemy team's Nexus. This simple concept belies a game of enormous strategic complexity and mechanical depth that brings tens of millions of players to the servers daily, and which has led to the development and growth of one of the world's premiere esports.

Matches take place on Summoner's Rift between the blue (bottom-left) and red (top-right) teams. The map is divided into three lanes - toplane, midlane, and botlane - which allied and enemy units (minions) spawn in and push down automatically. Killing minions will grant gold and experience, which can be spent on items and levels respectively to make champions more powerful. Each lane has several turrets that will attack enemy minions and champions, and which must be destroyed to make progress down the lane. At the end of each lane is an inhibitor, and destroying it will cause more powerful minions to temporarily spawn down that lane. Once an inhibitor is destroyed, the turrets that protect the Nexus are exposed; destroying these turrets will allow a team to destroy the enemy Nexus, winning the game.

Inbetween these lanes are areas populated by neutral monsters, called the jungle. In addition to the regular jungle monsters, there are special epic monsters that spawn at specific locations on the map:
  • Drakes: Powerful dragons that, when killed, give the killing team a permanent teamwide buff. The third drake that spawns will change the Rift in various ways, such as adding or removing terrain. Killing four drakes of any type will grant a Dragon Soul buff based on the element of the third drake that spawned. All drakes spawned after the Dragon Soul is claimed are Elder Drakes, which grant an incredibly powerful temporary buff to the killer's team.
  • Baron Nashor and Rift Herald: Occupying the same space on the map, the Rift Herald will appear twice before the 20 minute mark. Claiming it will allow a team to summon it to charge down a lane, dealing heavy damage to turrets it encounters until it's destroyed. After 20 minutes, Baron Nashor will spawn; killing him will grant the killing team a temporary buff that makes nearby allied minions much more powerful, allowing teams to more easily push into the enemy base.
Each team is composed of 5 members who fill a particular role, and whose initial position on the map is typically determined by that role:
  • Top: Starts in toplane. Due to being relatively isolated from the rest of the map, top is usually either a hard to kill tank champion or a duelist champion that can match the enemy top in a 1v1.
  • Mid: Starts in midlane. The shorter length of the lane and its central position on the map makes it attractive for mage champions. Success in this lane is often important due to its ability to impact both top and bot through roaming.
  • Bot: Starts in botlane. This is typically filled by champions that depend more on items than levels, such as ranged physical attackers, due to them being paired with the support. Proximity to Drake makes it an important lane early on.
  • Support: Starts in botlane. Supports get less gold and experience than the rest of their team, and are often champions specialized to fill that role as a result. Often responsible for acquiring vision for their team via sight-granting wards.
  • Jungler: Starts in the jungle. Junglers kill the neutral monsters in the jungle for most of their gold and experience, and are often tank or duelist champions, much like top. Their ability to roam around without losing too much gold or experience gives them a major ability to impact the other lanes.

The Regions

League is a worldwide sport, currently composed of four major regions and numerous minor regions. Regions primarily compete domestically, with two major tournaments - the Mid-Season Invitational (MSI) and Worlds - serving as the primary international competition between them.

Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/lck

The major region. Though their days of uncontested international dominance are over, the LCK continues to remain a formidable presence internationally and can almost always be guaranteed to make deep runs at MSI and Worlds. Generally known for having a methodical, controlled playstyle that's focused on objective control and precise timings to gain advantages. Notable for also being the major talent-producing region for the sport as a whole, with every region major or minor fielding multiple Korean imports.

Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/lpl

Generally considered the second best region, League's insane popularity in China has also made the LPL one of the busiest regions, with a staggering 17 different teams having fought it out in 2022. A notoriously bloody league that loves scrapping, with LPL teams willing to duke it out at a moment's notice. Tends to trade off frontrunner status with the LCK depending on the meta.

Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/lec

The Europeans have bounced around in the rankings over the years, though they're generally able to field at least one or two teams that are international menaces a year, and have one of the best English broadcasts around. Generally known for their unpredictability, having pulled out weird picks and niche strategies multiple times at Worlds to catch other teams off guard, though their ability to make deep runs is highly dependent on the strength of individual teams.

Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/lcs

The LCS serves as the perpetual gatekeepers of international competition, being strong enough to consistently beat teams from minor regions, but not teams from majors. Typically favors a slower, risk-averse playstyle that plays reactively to enemy mistakes instead of proactively, which usually lands them in hot water against more aggressive teams. Has occasionally shown some surprising runs internationally, but usually flares out early.

Important Links

LoL Esports - The hub for all-things pro League and Riot's official website. Contains schedules for every major and minor region, as well as various important regional and international tournaments.
Leaguepedia - Yeah, it's on loving Fandom (🤮), but there's no better resource for pro League information out there. Contains gamescores, champion statistics, player/team information, tournament results, etc.
Games of Legends - A pro game stat tracking site. Used extensively by analysts for looking up team and champion statistics.
EpicSkillshot - The OG Youtube VOD channel. Not allowed to upload LCK VODs, but you'll find VODs for every other major region and international tournament there, including a massive historical archive of past seasons for the curious.
Previous Thread - To relive the good (?) times.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

reserve post in case i think up more bullshit

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have high hopes for this year's comedy potential.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

njsykora posted:

I have high hopes for this year's comedy potential.

prepare to have your ribs tickled with IWD's roster rumors

highlights include: poor busio about to be put through the same doublelift-shaped wringer as olleh was, TL wholeheartedly embracing the meme and having a full korean speaking roster, EG going for FBI and not kaori because ?????, and TSM rubbing their nickels to nubs trying to put a roster together

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
NA is gonna win worlds

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

acumen posted:

NA is gonna win worlds

toxx it coward

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

acumen posted:

NA is gonna win worlds

yea, the world series!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
looking at those roster rumors I was about to lose my goddamn mind when I didn't see Impact

then at the very bottom

gently caress yeah, I'm all in on FLY Impact

e: where the gently caress is Jensen

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

acumen posted:

NA is gonna win worlds

i spent the better part of 10 minutes trying to think of the most charitable way i could word the LCS's section

i do still have hope, especially with what's likely some more budget rosters poking their heads in, and there's more content like cloudtemplar's extensive talk with rigby and lira that's dragging more of the issues into the public eye. there's always obvious surface level stuff like ping sucks + LCS players never play soloqueue, but seeing some of the deeper-seated issues like teams only scrimming 5 games, even if one of those games is a total washout because of some bungled 1 minute invasion, is pretty startling

isaboo posted:

where the gently caress is Jensen

free agent looking for a team. i think he's probably too expensive for most rosters with the current state of investment - only 100T and FLY seem to be spending big - so i wouldn't be surprised if he went into hibernation until someone has to slam the "emergency midlaner" button again

Vermain fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 13, 2022

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
TSM soul former academy toplaner and ostensibly a top prospect said tsm only offered him 60k with no supplied housing or anything else for a spot in the new academy lol

TSM is gonna be last place next year for sure

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I haven't kept up with league since season... 5? 6?

Who's the top streamers these days?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
FWIW the OP should probably say "killer's team" instead of "killer" for the elder dragon buff section.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

tithin posted:

I haven't kept up with league since season... 5? 6?

Who's the top streamers these days?

as far as english language streamers go, it's predominantly tyler1 (yes, that tyler1; it's a long story), caedrel (current LEC commentator), thebausffs (sion onetrick who became insanely popular over the last 2 years), doublelift, and jankos. i see some other names popping up occasionally, but they're the most consistent streamers with the largest audiences

Taciturn Tactician posted:

FWIW the OP should probably say "killer's team" instead of "killer" for the elder dragon buff section.

fixed it, thank you

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

acumen posted:

NA is gonna win worlds

thats probably the only thing that could out crazy this years worlds...

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
this would be so loving cool

https://blix.gg/news/evi-heretics

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Speaking of NA...

https://twitter.com/VulcanLoL/status/1591562660453224449

https://twitter.com/VulcanLoL/status/1591685059081535489

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'd miss seeing him repping DFM at worlds but he's absolutely got the talent to hack it in a major region

one of history's most hilarious self-owns, given that the community at large was going out of its way to add ", except for EG" to the end of every piece of criticism thanks to rigby defending them in all his interviews

the "wahhh our soloq sucks!!!" line that keeps being trotted out has lost all its bite after 2022 because NA pros had full access to a CQ that was filled to the brim with the top talent from the entire world and every NA team, except for EG, categorically ignored it aside from maybe one or two token games a day when foreign pros were spamming the goddamn thing all through the night, even through the awkwardness of a severe language barrier. very strange!

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

if you aren't a pro player in league of legends specifically you have NEVER ACHIEVED ANYTHING IN LIFE. great take.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's such a mad loving cope take to be talking like the job where you get three+ months of paid vacation time written into your contract every year is, like, the labors of hercules or some poo poo

corejj has a really great interview with ashley where it's obvious that he's dissatisfied with the LCS's entire culture and work ethic. my intuition is that the rumored TL roster from IWD is basically something he pitched to steve as a way to potentially start shifting things: you get two native korean speakers who are still largely unproven talent (yeon and haeri) and thus have the willingness to grind, and then you pull two korean imports with that same dedication, and you effectively backdoor a new LMQ into the league. there'll be no communication issues, no clashing priorities, and everyone will be willing to put in the hours of a regular LCK team. if that works to get you #1 domestically and you make a modestly deep run into worlds - even 2-3 in quarters would be impressive, at this point - then you've proven that the problem is entirely a matter of organization and work ethic, and other teams will potentially start getting the message and make adjustments if it's the only way to compete with a TL powerhouse

i really do admire core's dedication to trying to improve the LCS. it'd be considered eccentric for a native player to care this much, but it's downright bonkers for a world champion whose only concrete ties to the continent are steve's paychecks and, i guess, a sense of gratitude to kiwikid and the boys for giving him his start. it's such an earnest commitment to trying to improve the league and international competition as a whole, and while i don't know if LMQ 2.0 is gonna raise the bar like the originals did, it's at least a forwards-thinking attempt

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Vermain posted:

the "wahhh our soloq sucks!!!" line that keeps being trotted out has lost all its bite after 2022 because NA pros had full access to a CQ that was filled to the brim with the top talent from the entire world and every NA team, except for EG, categorically ignored it aside from maybe one or two token games a day when foreign pros were spamming the goddamn thing all through the night, even through the awkwardness of a severe language barrier. very strange!

Vermain posted:

corejj has a really great interview with ashley where it's obvious that he's dissatisfied with the LCS's entire culture and work ethic. my intuition is that the rumored TL roster from IWD is basically something he pitched to steve as a way to potentially start shifting things: you get two native korean speakers who are still largely unproven talent (yeon and haeri) and thus have the willingness to grind, and then you pull two korean imports with that same dedication, and you effectively backdoor a new LMQ into the league. there'll be no communication issues, no clashing priorities, and everyone will be willing to put in the hours of a regular LCK team.

i really do admire core's dedication to trying to improve the LCS. it'd be considered eccentric for a native player to care this much, but it's downright bonkers for a world champion whose only concrete ties to the continent are steve's paychecks and, i guess, a sense of gratitude to kiwikid and the boys for giving him his start. it's such an earnest commitment to trying to improve the league and international competition as a whole, and while i don't know if LMQ 2.0 is gonna raise the bar like the originals did, it's at least a forwards-thinking attempt

I dunno Doublelift had some good points on the Vulcan thing. First he agreed that trash talking normies is bad because regular jobs suck rear end. But to your point, even Champions Queue is not a 100% fix for the soloqueue situation. His point was: No matter what, even if you're the most dedicated, a Korean or Chinese player or whatever in LCK/LPL can simply play more games in the same amount of time. Queue times in China and Korea = 2 minutes, Queue times in NA = 20 minutes. Champions queue has EVEN LONGER queue times to get games together, the trade off there is you're hoping that the QUALITY is better. NA Soloqueue QUALITY is trash, so you're playing half as many games in the same amount of time as a Korean or Chinese pro and the quality is worse.

NA sucks I don't think theres a clear solution unless thousands more people start playing in high elo.

What is CoreJJ gonna do with a bunch of grinders? If they bootcamp in Korea every split I think they'll be able to grind their asses off, and maybe they will succeed through having better practice/review, but they can't reasonably grind soloqueue/CQ harder than the equivalent player in korea/china.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

If Core's K-TL plan is executed and works, expect ownership of the other teams in the league to ignore the "work ethic" and "practice makes perfect" parts and focus on the "we gotta get more racist" part.

I honestly do not think any money men are going to parse the strategic training development aspects when they can just go "huh, we need Koreans" and send over some scouts.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Vermain posted:

prepare to have your ribs tickled with IWD's roster rumors

highlights include: poor busio about to be put through the same doublelift-shaped wringer as olleh was, TL wholeheartedly embracing the meme and having a full korean speaking roster, EG going for FBI and not kaori because ?????, and TSM rubbing their nickels to nubs trying to put a roster together

Doublelift the goat, has to come out of retirement to put these kids into the trash (I am referring to busio when he is sent to the shadow dimension for not winning DL the lane for him)

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I need another hit of pro play please help

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
DRX though

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/esports_person/status/1592270794729861120

Anyone but Hoon

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dude can't have been going for much after MAD's run. the gnarmut meme was becoming more and more of a reality so sliding off to NA seems like the next natural career move

two extremely funny tidbits from deft: he spent the last week before the finals running a fake 9 bot game on his tournament realm account to make it seem like DRX was scrimming nonstop, and he was soured on NA soloqueue immediately because his first game had a morgana who had to AFK after they spilled their ashtray on their keyboard

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Deft rules. making bot accounts play to fake the appearance of scrims is genius.

anyway,
https://mobile.twitter.com/TSM/status/1592895131514200064
https://mobile.twitter.com/TSM/status/1592895845334032384

they got in touch with Elon and had the _ftx removed

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

"we're completely financially stable, pinky swear promise" is, uh, not a promising thing to put at the end of your statement

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It's kind of necessary since there's a lot of speculation about no longer FTX TSM's finances. Better to address it directly so players will take your phone calls.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/LEC/status/1593257803136700421

obviously not an official press release confirmation, but it ain't april fools either

i'm guessing that the LEC's continually improving profile has made the viewership numbers such that they're confident in Bo3s not tanking the views

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Turkey, Russia and the CIS are no longer major regions and are now ERLs. Most of the season is now playoffs, Saudi Arabia is now part of Europe. Also the NLC isn't an accredited ERL any more and is downsizing massively which feels like it's bad for European League as a whole given they're the main English language ERL broadcast and where a lot of the new casting talent has come from.
https://twitter.com/LEC/status/1593529455447793664

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 18, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

njsykora posted:

Turkey, Russia and the CIS are no longer major regions and are now ERLs. Most of the season is now playoffs, Saudi Arabia is now part of Europe. Also the NLC isn't an accredited ERL any more and is downsizing massively which feels like it's bad for European League as a whole given they're the main English language ERL broadcast and where a lot of the new casting talent has come from.
https://twitter.com/LEC/status/1593529455447793664

this seems to be part of a larger move towards getting more leagues under larger umbrellas, presumably as a simultaneous cost-cutting measure and a means of (potentially) increasing regional competition. they're doing the same thing with the LCO, where it will now compete against the PCS for worlds spots and any OCE players who have currently or previously played for an LCS or LCSA team will have a one-time opportunity to declare themselves either OCE or LCS residents

also i think my intuition on corejj's plans are correct, because guess who TL just signed as their head coach:

https://twitter.com/teamliquidlol/status/1593711261338017792

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
It just wouldn't be right if someone in the Peter Peng Household didn't leak their offseason plans
https://twitter.com/DSzajnuk/status/1595647292459065347

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Luna Was Here posted:

It just wouldn't be right if someone in the Peter Peng Household didn't leak their offseason plans
https://twitter.com/DSzajnuk/status/1595647292459065347

it's admittedly way more of an open secret at this point compared to "no one wants dardoch" but still, ay carumba lady

other relevant offseason news:
  • DRX has already broken up due to a combination of contracts ending and everyone's value massively shooting up. zeka and kingen are likely going to HLE, whereas deft got signed by DWG
  • ruler's headed to the LPL to play for an as of yet unnamed team, while prince is headed off to NA. summit's apparently already left FPX and it's very likely he's the import top that TL's angling for
  • GG's back to the bad old budget roster days with licorice, river, gori, stixxay, and huhi
  • poor ol' toyz finally got sentenced for his weed trafficking charges and is gonna be in the slammer for 4 years, 2 months. hope that dude does alright

Vermain fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 24, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/TSM/status/1597677969366843394

an instant ramen roster with a couple maple-shaped peas on top

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

That's a ninth or tenth place roster for sure

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The best you can get when a big stream of fake money dries up and your CEO still has a reputation as somehow the most abusive one in esports

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/TeamLiquidLoL/status/1598816014539452417

Summit/Pyosik/Haeri/Yeon/CoreJJ as rumored. Oh and Reignover as assistant coach.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 3, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pyosik is the big surprise, since i can't imagine his contract was cheap after winning worlds literally this year

guess we'll see if the great korean import experiment is gonna work out or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

They made it harder to steal obj from jungles now so he should be set.